Micheal Bush or Brian Leonard

NYJETS3233

Hey guys, I'd like to know what you think. If they are both available with one of our second round picks, who do you take.. Leonard or Micheal Bush. Personally I think we should take Bush first but I still like Leonard if Bush is gone. What do you guys think? Give opinions and reasons.. Thanks

If Leonard slips to our 3rd round pick, he better be a NYJ....

Serious question, can this guy block? More accurately, is he bar none the best blocking FB in the draft? If not I don't see why we should use a 3rd rounder on a FB. Didn't we already make that mistake with Askew?

Leonard.

Sowell was a big part of the offense with Chad at the helm.

There's no reason that Leonard can't come in and adapt into a viable offensive option as a FB.

I'd take him as high as round 2.

He is more than just your prototypical FB.

He can do it all.

Not to mention his character is sterling.

Serious question, can this guy block? More accurately, is he bar none the best blocking FB in the draft? If not I don't see why we should use a 3rd rounder on a FB. Didn't we already make that mistake with Askew?

Point taken, but even if this guy only turns out to be an "Askew" at least he can actually run with the ball Unlike Askew...

See if you FB is known to be a run threat, defenders cant just shoot right by him when he lead blocks.. the need to make sure he doesnt have the ball, which slows things down just enough to open up some holes...

With Askew, defenders are just looking to shed him up the field ASAP.

Based on what I know of him (which isnt much) I would want B Leonard in Round 3... but thats why I am not the JETS GM...

Would you say though if he has potential to be an good-above average NFL blocker that he is worth our 3rd?

If Leonard slips to our 3rd round pick, he better be a NYJ....

Point taken, but even if this guy only turns out to be an "Askew" at least he can actually run with the ball Unlike Askew...

See if you FB is known to be a run threat, defenders cant just shoot right by him when he lead blocks.. the need to make sure he doesnt have the ball, which slows things down just enough to open up some holes...

With Askew, defenders are just looking to shed him up the field ASAP.

Based on what I know of him (which isnt much) I would want B Leonard in Round 3... but thats why I am not the JETS GM...

Would you say though if he has potential to be an good-above average NFL blocker that he is worth our 3rd?

Ecurb, I honestly wasn't trying to make a point. Just asking the question because other than the couple Rutgers games I saw and the famous Leonard leap (which will get him killed in the NFL), I don't know much about him. I just don't believe a FB is worthy of any more than a late 3rd rounder. I'd rather have a playmaking TE and a FB that can block like lorenzo Neal than a FB who can make plays but doesn't block as well..

I'd rather have a playmaking TE and a FB that can block like lorenzo Neal than a FB who can make plays but doesn't block as well..

That is the way the league seems to be, but I don't know if that theory suits the Jets O. They seem to use a lot of H-back and TE in the backfield stuff. That may be because they had crap at FB this year, but it may be what they like. IF that's what they are using Leonard is perfect, you can bet they will flank him out and line him at TE too. I don't see him as a Lorenzo Neal blocker, but he doesn't miss many.

people are selling Brian leonard seriously short

he's an elite athlete - he's not 'just a fullback' - can run a 4.5 or lower

he's basically a late first/early second rounder

there is precidence, Mike Alstott was a very similar player at purdue (without ray rice stealing carries) and he went high second

Washington + Leonard could be > Dunn + Alstott

people are selling Brian leonard seriously short

he's an elite athlete - he's not 'just a fullback' - can run a 4.5 or lower

he's basically a late first/early second rounder

there is precidence, Mike Alstott was a very similar player at purdue (without ray rice stealing carries) and he went high second

Washington + Leonard could be > Dunn + Alstott

When you put it that way, using one of our 2nd rounders doesnt sound bad at all...

Troll my man, why are you so down on Bush. Is Dwayne Jarrett going to suck because Mike Williams did? Bush is a good rb that has a lot of upside to him. He has relatively fresh legs because he didn't play much this year because of injury, that has been reported he is going to fully recover from. That being said. I think we need a fb that can actually block someone. They don't have to be great at it, just better then askew. If the guy can run that's a bonus. They also need to be able to catch the ball. If leonard fits the bill I would have no trouble drafting him in the third.

Eric Schelton Part 2 or a guy without a position who in no way can be an every down NFL back.

Boy those are some great choices.:eek:

It's more like in Round 2 do we take a serious look at / draft Kenny Irons, Antonio Pittman or some other 2nd round back who will emerge after the combine?

Troll my man, why are you so down on Bush. Is Dwayne Jarrett going to suck because Mike Williams did? Bush is a good rb that has a lot of upside to him. He has relatively fresh legs because he didn't play much this year because of injury, that has been reported he is going to fully recover from. That being said. I think we need a fb that can actually block someone. They don't have to be great at it, just better then askew. If the guy can run that's a bonus. They also need to be able to catch the ball. If leonard fits the bill I would have no trouble drafting him in the third.

How did Louisville's offense do whenever Bush went out? Didn't miss a beat. Couple years ago, they had a back, Eric Shelton, who is the exact same build as Bush. He put up similar college numbers to Bush. And he has been a complete and total bust. He couldn't even get on the field this season when DeAngelo Williams was injured and DeShaun Foster was reinvinting the word "suck".

Jarrett and Williams aren't even close to being the same type of receiver. Shelton and Bush are the exact same running back.

Hey guys, I'd like to know what you think. If they are both available with one of our second round picks, who do you take.. Leonard or Micheal Bush. Personally I think we should take Bush first but I still like Leonard if Bush is gone. What do you guys think? Give opinions and reasons.. Thanks

Let's put it this way...

Leonard is available in the 7th round and I'd think long and hard about passing on him....

I can bet 1,000,000 Askew cannot do this...

scoreboard_bw_sports_t600.jpg

If he can block, we should draft this guy.

If he pulls that **** in the NFL, he is gonna end up splattered all over the field.

In this league, Rodney Harrison or Brian Dawkins will be waiting for him as he lands.

If he pulls that **** in the NFL, he is gonna end up splattered all over the field.

In this league, Rodney Harrison or Brian Dawkins will be waiting for him as he lands.

It's less that he will do it, and more the fact that he has such great athleticism, and the ability to do it.

His versatility will further open Schott's playbook, and confuse opposing defenses.

With Chad and his dink and dunk style at the helm this is a smart pick

I don't want a 250lbs RB who runs like he's 200lbs, I'll take Leonard.

He's very versatile, athletic, has all the intangibles, and seems like the perfect player to help Chad with dump off passes and such. He's also an underrated blocker (helped open up holes for Ray Rice, allowing him to become one of the best backs in the country and took on more a blocking role to help the team). He would also be a great compliment to Washington.

Yep, no NFL running back has ever jumped over anybody. Nobody ever jumped over the pile at the goal. Billy Simms didn't jump up and plant his cleat in the middle of somebody's chest and continue on. Never happen.

At this point, the odds are that if Rodney Harrison hits Leonard head on Rodney is the one more getting carted off.

It's less that he will do it, and more the fact that he has such great athleticism, and the ability to do it.

His versatility will further open Schott's playbook, and confuse opposing defenses.

With Chad and his dink and dunk style at the helm this is a smart pick

We should not draft anyone based on Chad Pennington strengths. Draft them to fit the system, not the players that are already in the system.

From the little I watched of him, Leonard seems like the real deal. I don't know about his blocking, but someone had to be opening up those holes for Ray Rice. He seems like a character guy, a winning, competitive type of guy.. an all around FB ala Mike Alstott. Don't know if he's worth a 2nd round pick, but definitely someone I'd love to see on the Jets.

We should not draft anyone based on Chad Pennington strengths. Draft them to fit the system, not the players that are already in the system.

This is a valid point.

I don't want to get into a Chad Pennington debate-it is tiresome.

But I feel as though Leonard gives us the best chance to win in the coming season.

He flourished in a 2 back system at RU.

We are trying to build a stellar 2 back system.

He's humble, smart, coachable and verssatile.

I feel as though Leonard fits this system perfectly with Chad, and since I do not know the capability of the other possible QBs that is all I'm going to judge on.

Who ever said he would?

I was merely showing how he is what we WISHED Askew was, a good FB who can also run like hell with a TON of athletic ability....

I would hope we use use him to pull that **** on an NFL goal line... c'mon troll even you know that all good NFL RB's need to have some ups... it would be a big bonus for a our FB to have some...

This way on the goal line if Chad reads something that doesnt look good for him to pound it in, he can jump the pile, if that doesnt look good, he is fast enough to take it outside...

Hell this guy is fast enough to break one for a TD...

IF he can block, we need to take him.

Who ever said he would?

I was merely showing how he is what we WISHED Askew was, a good FB who can also run like hell with a TON of athletic ability....

I would hope we use use him to pull that **** on an NFL goal line... c'mon troll even you know that all good NFL RB's need to have some ups... it would be a big bonus for a our FB to have some...

This way on the goal line if Chad reads something that doesnt look good for him to pound it in, he can jump the pile, if that doesnt look good, he is fast enough to take it outside...

Why do you keep saying IF he can block?

He blocked for a guy that recorded 1794 yards and 20 TDs.

His primary role this season was BLOCKING.

Who ever said he would?

And BJ Askew should have told us something: don't take a fullback with a first day pick.

I am sorry, but I just can't justify taking a fullback with a second round pick, particularly when there are fullbacks like Fred Beasley just sitting on the scrap heap. The fact that Beasley, an All-Pro a couple years ago, can now no longer find work, just shows how much fullbacks are a dime a dozen. Give me someone that knocks the ever loving **** out of people and I'll be happy. I want the fullback to be almost an extra offensive lineman. I could care less if he's "versatile" like BJ Askew and Troy Flemming.

Give me someone that knocks the ever loving **** out of people and I'll be happy.

Why not have that & MORE...??? You would rather have a "dime a dozen" FB??? Why not try and have an advantage at EVERY position, instead of just following the pack and getting a worthless FB???

Think about what someone like him can do...

Improve the passing game (catch passes, pass block)

Improve the running game (blocking, running himself)

He also brings to the table, the fact that Defenders cant just try and shed him like a FB that you would want, they need to respect the fact that he can run too which in turn gives Leon that extra split second to pick up the extra yards... If they do just try and shed him, his 4.5 40 time will take him all the way for a 20+ run...

A FB with his talent can be HUGE for the offense...

Archived