ESPN's latest mock draft

BoomBoomMancini

1. Oakland Raiders (2-14)

Projected pick: +JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU

Russell vs. Brady Quinn? Let the great debate begin. Most teams have Quinn ahead of Russell, but Raiders owner Al Davis could fall in love with Russell's size and strong arm.

2. Detroit (3-13)

Projected pick: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame

The Lions passed on Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler a year ago. It's hard to imagine them passing on another potential franchise quarterback with the second overall pick in this year's draft.

3t. x-Cleveland (4-12)

Projected pick: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin

Russell or Quinn would be a possibility if available. Otherwise, it would become a tough decision between Thomas and Michigan DT Alan Branch. Thomas seems to make more sense, as he could be the piece that finally solidifies the Browns' offensive line.

3t. x-Tampa Bay (4-12)

Projected pick: +Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech

The Bucs have other more pressing needs, but coach Jon Gruden can't pass on the draft's most dynamic offensive weapon.

5. Arizona (5-11)

Projected pick: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson

As usual, the Cardinals are a prime candidate to trade down. If not, they should use their pick on the best available defensive playmaker. Adams, Branch and Jamaal Anderson could all be considered.

6. Washington (5-11)

Projected pick: +Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas

Anderson is a no-brainer for a Redskins defense that set a team record for the fewest sacks in a season (19) in 2006. Anderson is the complete package physically and should capitalize on 13.5 sacks as a junior in 2006.

7. Minnesota (6-10)

Projected pick: +Ted Ginn Jr., WR/RS, Ohio State

The Vikings need speed on the perimeter in order to open-up their offense. Ginn is a bit of a reach this early, but his world-class speed will be attractive to coach Brad Childress and his staff.

8. Houston (6-10)

Projected pick: +Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma

Drafting Peterson here would help to overshadow the Texans' colossal mistake of passing on Reggie Bush with the top overall pick last year.

9. Miami (6-10)

Projected pick: +Alan Branch, DT, Michigan

Branch is a good value pick here. At 6-foot-5, 330 pounds, he can play NT and/or DE in a 3-4 scheme, as well as DE in a 4-3 scheme. That type of versatility should be attractive to the Dolphins.

10. Atlanta (7-9)

Projected pick: Levi Brown, OT, Penn State

The Falcons could consider a safety (LaRon Landry or Reggie Nelson) with this pick, but Brown would help the transition to a bigger, more physical offensive line that coach Bobby Petrino is looking to make.

11. San Francisco (7-9)

Projected pick: +Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC

Jarrett is a dynamic playmaker with extraordinary hand-eye coordination. He needs to run well to sneak into the top-15. If so, Jarrett would be a fine young weapon for QB Alex Smith.

12. Buffalo (7-9)

Leon Hall, CB, Michigan

Projected pick:

The Bills will be in the market for a top-shelf cornerback if they lose free agent Nate Clements. Hall lacks elite speed, but he makes up for it with instincts, size and athleticism.

13. St. Louis (8-8)

Projected pick: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville

The Rams are looking to improve their size and toughness up front defensively. Okoye is still a bit raw, but his playing weight is close to 300 pounds and he displays good upside as a 19-year-old prospect.

14. Carolina (8-8)

Projected pick: +Reggie Nelson, S, Florida

Nelson, a speedy center fielder with excellent ball skills, would provide the type of range and playmaking ability that the Panthers are missing at the safety position.

15. Pittsburgh (8-8)

Projected pick: LaRon Landry, S, LSU

Landry is a ball-hawking free safety who would instantly upgrade the athleticism of the Steelers' secondary.

16. Green Bay (8-8)

Projected pick: +Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal

Brett Favre could help maximize Lynch's explosiveness and versatility if they're working in the same backfield in 2007.

17. Jacksonville (8-8)

Projected pick: +Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida

The Jaguars need perimeter speed along their defensive line and Moss fits the description as one of the fastest defensive ends in the 2007 class.

18. Cincinnati (8-8)

Projected pick: +Charles Johnson, DE, Georgia

The Bengals would rather take a big, run-stuffing defensive tackle here, but there's no value to match the need. Instead, they could continue the trend of drafting Georgia defenders to upgrade that side of the ball.

19. Tennessee (8-8)

Projected pick: +Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee

QB Vince Young needs more weapons to work with on the perimeter. Meachem, a hometown product, is a fast-rising junior with impressive size and speed.

20. N.Y. Giants (8-8)

Projected pick: +Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh

The Giants must upgrade their cover-corner situation. Revis displays the athleticism and ball skills to fit their needs. He also brings value as a proven playmaker in the return game.

21. Denver (9-7)

Projected pick: Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno State

The tragic death of Darrent Williams will force the Broncos to reevaluate their personnel needs this offseason. McCauley is a boom-or-bust prospect who tanked as a senior but possesses rare physical tools to develop into a shutdown-corner.

22. Dallas (9-7)

Projected pick: Daymeion Hughes, CB, Cal

The Cowboys need a cover-corner who can hold up opposite Terence Newman, and Hughes could be the right man for the job. His eight interceptions as a senior are witness to Hughes' improved instincts and stellar ball skills.

23. Kansas City (9-7)

Projected pick: +Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina

Rice's draft stock could fluctuate greatly depending on his postseason workouts. Assuming he grades out as a late first-round prospect, the Chiefs would welcome his pass-catching services on the perimeter.

24. New England (from Seattle)

Projected pick: Patrick Willis, ILB, Ole Miss

There's speculation that Tedy Bruschi will retire this offseason and Mike Vrabel is nearing the end, as well. With that in mind, the Patriots' top priority in this year's draft should be to get younger across the board at linebacker. Willis is instinctive, tough, quick and versatile enough to earn a starting job as a rookie.

25. N.Y. Jets (10-6)

Projected pick: Tank Tyler, DT, NC State

Tyler is a bit overrated, but at 323 pounds he could be the Jets' answer at nose tackle.

26. Philadelphia (10-6)

Projected pick: +Lawrence Timmons, OLB, Florida State

Timmons is a freakishly gifted athlete for his size. Although he is a bit inexperienced, Timmons' stock should skyrocket once he works out for NFL scouts at next month's combine.

27. New Orleans (10-6)

Projected pick: +Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas

The Saints need a youth movement at cornerback and Houston could emerge as a good value late in the first round. He's flying under the radar right now, but the more film I watch of him the more impressive his natural cover skills become. Houston did an excellent job of limiting top-flight WRs such as Jarrett, Meachem and LSU's Dwayne Bowe as a junior this past season.

28. New England (12-4)

Projected pick: Paul Posluszny, OLB, Penn State

Continuing with the linebacker theme, the Patriots seem like a perfect home for a versatile, hard-nosed and proven talent like Posluszny.

29. Baltimore (13-3)

Projected pick: Quentin Moses, DE/OLB, Georgia

The Ravens may chose not to re-sign free-agent OLB Adalius Thomas, so drafting a hybrid defensive end/outside linebacker like Moses makes a lot of sense. The Ravens could also be in the market for a cornerback or offensive tackle with this pick.

30. San Diego (14-2)

Projected pick: Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU

Safety is a possibility here, but the Chargers could get a better value in Bowe, who displays the size, speed and playmaking skills that QB Philip Rivers needs on the perimeter.

31. y-Indianapolis (12-4)

Projected pick: +Brandon Siler, ILB, Florida

Siler might be a reach in the first round, but he has the athleticism to emerge as a solid starting linebacker in the NFL. His quickness would fit well in the Colts' speed-driven defensive scheme.

32. y-Chicago (13-3)

Projected pick: +Greg Olsen, TE, Miami-FL

The Bears annually seem to ignore their need for a pass-catching tight end, but maybe this is the year they finally give in. Olsen's collegiate career was a roller coaster ride, but he possesses the size, athletic ability and hands to emerge as a consistent threat down the middle for QB Rex Grossman.

I seriously do not see Olsen in the 1st rd, even if it is the last pick. Besides, Desmond Clark is pretty decent last I checked.

I'd probably take a hard look at Justin Blalock at 25 the way this board falls.

Mock drafts before free agency starts and ends are fun, but never really accurate.

Ginn ahead of Jarrett is pure ESPN bull****.

Remember the last time the Vikings took a project WR with a blazing 40-time seventh overall? It was two years ago and he is a gigantic bust. If they go receiver, it's going to be Jarrett.

Agree , no way in hell Ginn goes before Jarrett .

Ginn ahead of Jarrett is pure ESPN bull****.

Remember the last time the Vikings took a project WR with a blazing 40-time seventh overall? It was two years ago and he is a gigantic bust. If they go receiver, it's going to be Jarrett.

I was actually thinking of starting a thread to ask this question. Calvin Johnson is obviously the best of the three. As for Jarret v. Ginn, I'd take Ginn. I only saw a couple of Southern Cal games, but Jarret does not look very explosive to me. He seems like a polished, quality reciever, but Ginn brings some serious speed to the table. I missed Ohio State ****ting the bed against the Gators, but from what I've seen Ginn is more of a gamebreaker. A little skinny though. I was wondering what people that really follow college football thought? Troll, why do you think Jarrett is so much better?

I was actually thinking of starting a thread to ask this question. Calvin Johnson is obviously the best of the three. As for Jarret v. Ginn, I'd take Ginn. I only saw a couple of Southern Cal games, but Jarret does not look very explosive to me. He seems like a polished, quality reciever, but Ginn brings some serious speed to the table. I missed Ohio State ****ting the bed against the Gators, but from what I've seen Ginn is more of a gamebreaker. A little skinny though. I was wondering what people that really follow college football thought? Troll, why do you think Jarrett is so much better?

I'd also like to hear some people's thoughts. I'm pretty torn about it.

On the one hand there's not many players in the NFL that can match Ginn's speed. He has so much potential. He's very raw but he's only been playing WR for a couple years and has improved every season and wasn't even supposed to be a WR. His has are OK but need to improve and his route running definitely needs a lot of improvement.

Jarrett doesn't have the speed and isn't as explosive but has the size, leaping ability, and good hands. He's a monster in the red zone. His hands can be inconsistent though and he also needs to work on his route running, like most recievers coming into the NFL.

I don't really see either of them becoming true #1 receivers, but I think they'll be good to great #2s. I guess I'd give Ginn the slight edge because his rediculous speed cannot be taught and most of his flaws can be fixed with proper coaching and hard work. He seems to have a desire to get better. Also, he's a dangerous weapon on punt and kick returns.

Jarrett is a monster, he's like 6'5 and Ginn's 6'0. I'll be honest when I say I only saw Ginn play a few games at college but I can tell you Jarrett is a big time reciever that always seem's to step up when it's a big game. Just a little fun info for you guys ( I live 10 minutes from Jarretts hometown, watched almost all his high school football games he scored I think 26 or 27 touchdowns his senior year. He scored every single one of the three touchdowns his team managed to score in the New Jersey state championship game that year. For his career as a punt returner he averaged 48 yrds a return. Managing to run 5 of his 15 puntsback for a touchdown. He was a good basketball player aswell.

Another thing:

WTF is up with the Ted Ginn Jr. love? Aside from a few dazzling returns in college he didn't have that many outstanding games as a receiver. He's over-rated and I pity the team that takes him in the Top 10 if he goes in the Top 10. Can you say Devin Hester? Will be great / very good on ST but on offense? Not a starter, that's for certain. Hester will continue to shine on ST and be a #4/5 corner on defense.

Another thing:

WTF is up with the Ted Ginn Jr. love? Aside from a few dazzling returns in college he didn't have that many outstanding games as a receiver. He's over-rated and I pity the team that takes him in the Top 10 if he goes in the Top 10. Can you say Devin Hester? Will be great / very good on ST but on offense? Not a starter, that's for certain. Hester will continue to shine on ST and be a #4/5 corner on defense.

You don't think Ginn is a great prospect? He didn't play receiver in HS. He's raw, but he is as fast as they come. Jarrett certainly put up better numbers, but he just doesn't look that exciting to me. Off of what I saw of each I'd have taken Ginn.

I mostly saw Ginn during his sophmore year and he looked like a monster. These are some youtube clips all from his first two years. Guess he didn't really step up much this year. Highlight reels, don't mean much to me for draft position, but everybody here sure fell in love with Michael Turner off a few youtube clips. If Ginn clocks a 4.29 you can bet he'll go super early.

Archived