Giants relase Luc Pettigout, Carlos Emmons, and Lavar Arrington!

BoomBoomMancini

I know, I am going to get smashed for this, but why not sign all 3?

Pettigout>Clement

Emmons=good depth

Arrington=low risk high reward?

Because they are all Giants and they all suck.

The only one even worth taking a look at is Pettigout and that would depend on how he is recovered from his injury.

Big surprise IMO that they released Arrington. He is still a very good linebacker who was not liked by Gibbs in 05 and got hurt right when he was getting back to form last season. He will wind up somewhere and playing a very effective / good / Pro Bowl type 5+ some years. Not in a 3-4 system however so stop with the Arrington to the Jets talk some of you.

Wouldnt mind Pettigout or Arrington.....

Pettigout, we could always use O-line depth...hes experienced and we were lucky no one got injured. Not to mention Clement isnt exactly an all star and it would be nice to have some competition. Lavar? Well, he was what he was but hes kind of a lotto ticket. If we sign him, we get him cheap and he will prob. be pretty mediocre but maybe in our system under Mangini's teaching he could turn it around? I think its worth a chance....dont know if the penguin will bite though.

Big surprise IMO that they released Arrington. He is still a very good linebacker who was not liked by Gibbs in 05 and got hurt right when he was getting back to form last season. He will wind up somewhere and playing a very effective / good / Pro Bowl type 5+ some years. Not in a 3-4 system however so stop with the Arrington to the Jets talk some of you.

Why? He is about the same size as Bryan Thomas and bigger than Vilma.... as long as he didnt lose speed from his injury he should be just as good of a fit as our current guys.

Why? He is about the same size as Bryan Thomas and bigger than Vilma.... as long as he didnt lose speed from his injury he should be just as good of a fit as our current guys.

Right. There are two problems with Arrington:

(1) Questions about his post-injury speed

(2) Reputation (at least from Gibbs) for freelancing instead of sticking to his assignment

He's not undersized at all at 6'3/255-260. Pretty damn close to ideal size for a 3-4 OLB. Tall enough to bat down passes; not so tall as to lose leverage to blockers. An example of an undersized 3-4 LB is a player who is 6'1/225-230.

It was probably the right move for the Giants, though. They're suppsedly not in great cap shape & I think they originally signed Arrington with a relatively small SB for a big name ($5M) to a contract that kicks in big-time if they kept him. Otherwise they'd never cut him with just a $900K salary. He signed a 7-yr/$49M contract before the '06 season. $5M up front; $25M in base salary. So there's another $19M in roster/incentive bonuses in there. My guess is a sizeable chunk of non-incentive bonus - in the $10M range - was due March 1st. Otherwise why would they take an immediate hit on >$4M of his $5M SB instead of letting him count $2M on the cap to keep him (even if inactive)?

If he's healthy (fast) & if would listen to instructions, he'd be an absolute beast opposite Thomas. In other news, if the queen had balls she'd be king.

Arrington's speed will never be the same and he is also known to be a free lancer. You cannot be a free lancer in a 3-4 scheme no matter what because if somebody is out of position you're going to be screwed mightly. LaVar Arrington is not a 3-4 OLB, get that through your head.

emmons is now 34 & lost all his speed

arrington did nothing but badmouth tim lewis for not using him correctly for the gints.

bad seed on redskins... achilles tendon is a serious injury.

pettigoat- 31 & injury prone as well.

these guys don't strike me as what mangini's looking for for our jets. depth & back ups maybe but I see em passing on all 3

Arrington's speed will never be the same and he is also known to be a free lancer. You cannot be a free lancer in a 3-4 scheme no matter what because if somebody is out of position you're going to be screwed mightly. LaVar Arrington is not a 3-4 OLB, get that through your head.

Hey Ecurb, if noodle arem #2 says Arrington can't play a 34, than get it out of your head. and i mean now.:confused0058:

Hey Ecurb, if noodle arem #2 says Arrington can't play a 34, than get it out of your head. and i mean now.:confused0058:

Excuse me? Are you trying to challenge me? Right. Move along.

Anyways, I'm surprised you all talk of Arrington (whose talking retirement) when you could be talking Petitogout and move him to the right side... of course I would not go for that but with the majority of the newbies here it seems to be their new favorite thing in picking up everyone whose been released.

Excuse me? Are you trying to challenge me? Right. Move along.

Anyways, I'm surprised you all talk of Arrington (whose talking retirement) when you could be talking Petitogout and move him to the right side... of course I would not go for that but with the majority of the newbies here it seems to be their new favorite thing in picking up everyone whose been released.

Am i challening you? No. Would i challenge the heir to GM for the New York Jets? OF course not.

First off, Arrington could play a 34 no problem. Secondly, the Jets won't sign him, so take that for what you will. I love how because he free lances in Washington that means he is not compitent enough to change his style to fit a new system.

If i remember right he was one of the best Linebackers in the NFL a few years back, and can still be effective for a number of different teams. But not in a 34 right? ](*,)

Archived