What are u listening to right now?

11 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

speaking of 'ole Chas ...

well that one is famous, and insures that you can never cover this piece because there is no way to match THAT

but did you know that the master also did this one on the solo album he needed to finish off his Douglas contract so he can start the band that changed everything (notice that he had already recruited Cobham and Goodman for this one)

Do not recall hearing this version.  Thanks very much, Crimson, for sharing it.  McLaughlin (and band) is insanely great.

Just finished listening to one of my favorite artists, Rick Wakeman, in concert in Cuba in 2005.  NO ONE has mastered the synthesizer more than Rick and the guy in my avatar.  Beyond genius level keyboads.

Wakeman is on fire throughout this concert.  And what a band he has assembled.  Dave Calquhoun (guitar) and especially the brilliant Lee Pomeroy (bass) stand out.  

Great playing from start to finish ("Catherine Parr" is ridiculous.).  But do yourself a favor and at least listen from about 1:25:00 thru the encore of "Starship Trooper/Wurm".  Wakeman going into the audience and enlisting the help of an audience member is classic, as are his mind blowing solos.

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

still brilliant and underappreciated (kinda like MM, no?)

Like Spinal Tap, The Rutles goes down as the most brilliant rock parody ever.  The genius of Neil Innes and Eric Idle.  The shot of "news reporter" Idle running to catch up with the camera truck is one the great belly laughs.  It's at about 1:30 in video below.  LMFAO!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Stunning to see the extent of the overlap between the songs on my playlist and yours.  This is  one of my favorite MSG songs.  Great performance by the whole band, but Simon Phillips is especially sharp behind the kit on this one.  

• Sympathy 1

Just now, AFCEastFan said:

Stunning to see the extent of the overlap between the songs on my playlist and yours.  This one of my favorite MSG songs.  Great performance by the whole band, but Simon Phillips is especially sharp behind the kit on this one.  

I love that we're rock & roll "mind melding".  lol  So cool that you dig Schenker, too. Yeah, Simon Phillips was an ace to hire for this record.  That guy's resume is incredible.  Fantastic drummer.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, RobR said:

I'm sure this one was posted earlier but I bring you Rush from 1976.

I posted that Rush gig a while back, as I'm sure someone did before me.  Actually saw them in Syracuse on that tour.

Here's another Rush moment I found and posted.  At a local Canadian high school no less.  It's with their original drummer, the late John Rutsey.  They're young, but the Rush sound is already there.  Hope you dig it, Rob.

• Upvote 1