What are u listening to right now?

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Diamond Dogs tour at MSG for me.  Still wish I had seen the Ziggy tour.  

I can't imagaine anyone seeing a Bowie concert and NOT beiong blown away.  His catalog is almost unparalleled, and I defy anyone to point to any other rock artist better on stage.  And don't get me started on the performers he's assembled for his touring bands over the years.

Can't say I recall exact songs from that night.  Too old and most likely too bombed from various sources/substances.  But check out the song list from his MSG, Diamond Dogs gig back in 1974.  Wow.

1. (Eddie Floyd cover)
  2. Rock 'n' Roll Suicide
  3. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-bowie/1974/madison-square-garden-new-york-ny-73d82625.html
  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

been watching sets from Ibiza more

like look at the people just wandering by 

so much we all took for granted 

spoiler alert he drops an edit of Christopher Cross "Ride Like The Wind' in the 53rd min or so

that one d-bag with the cell phone really liked it

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

Love that Stardust track...

have u heard the Dimitri from Paris anthem remix? 

the first 2 mins are for DJ purposes

it gets froggy after 7 mins 

Another live DJ set full of human carnage is the Derrick Carter San Paulo boiler room.

he's got the world's biggest bouncer shoving people off his back 

10 min mark (Childish - This is America remix) 16 min mark Cardi B mix - back before those songs were played out

and then around 30:58 exactly there's a lady flashing her yams to the camera. Brazilians.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2020 at 11:31 AM, munchmemory said:

I can't imagaine anyone seeing a Bowie concert and NOT beiong blown away.  His catalog is almost unparalleled, and I defy anyone to point to any other rock artist better on stage.  And don't get me started on the performers he's assembled for his touring bands over the years.

Can't say I recall exact songs from that night.  Too old and most likely too bombed from various sources/substances.  But check out the song list from his MSG, Diamond Dogs gig back in 1974.  Wow.

1. (Eddie Floyd cover)
  2. Rock 'n' Roll Suicide
  3. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-bowie/1974/madison-square-garden-new-york-ny-73d82625.html

You lucky bastard!

• Sympathy 1

On 5/12/2020 at 12:31 PM, bitonti said:

have u heard the Dimitri from Paris anthem remix? 

the first 2 mins are for DJ purposes

it gets froggy after 7 mins 

Another live DJ set full of human carnage is the Derrick Carter San Paulo boiler room.

he's got the world's biggest bouncer shoving people off his back 

10 min mark (Childish - This is America remix) 16 min mark Cardi B mix - back before those songs were played out

and then around 30:58 exactly there's a lady flashing her yams to the camera. Brazilians.  

Love it. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2020 at 12:31 PM, munchmemory said:

1. (Eddie Floyd cover)
  2. Rock 'n' Roll Suicide

OMG, so jealous, this looks incredible.  I unfortunately never got to see him live and Bowie is like top 3 all time for me.  I love everything the man ever did and I miss him dearly.  

Speaking of the performers he assembled, they were doing a tour after he passed and they were absolutely incredible.  

• Upvote 1

If there are any Beastie Boys fans out there; there new doc. Beastie Boys Story, is incredible.  Really makes you appreciate just how incredibly talented songwriters they were and how amazing of a person Adam Yauch was not only just how incredibly gifted he was musically but the impact he's had on the world.  They do a great job of showing the evolution of their music/style and while they dont brag on it, it's so obvious the impact they've had in the hip-hop music that they'll never be truly credited for and I do think race plays a big factor but nobody, nobody was doing the looping, sampling and mastering of the 808 and SP1200 like the Beasties did and when they took a step further and didnt use as many samples but started to use their own music to sample; sorry call me a fanboi but nobody else has ever and will ever do it this good again.

Probably one of their best songs that showcase their evolution;  this a band who once had a song called, "Girls" - to do the dishes, to clean up my room, etc.  And 20 years later a song about how inappropriate it is to eye woman up and down, all instruments and singing. 

....love these dudes.

• Upvote 1

One thing they share in the documentary is that Yauch the bass guitarist, was just such a naturally gifted musician (well everything) that one day he just showed up to the recording studio with a stand up bass and had apparenlty mastered it by the time they started jamming.  Terrible quality but my favorite instrumental jam they do.  Yauch bass rift is just brilliant and yes, he created the Tibetan Freedom Concert, largest free show since Live AID. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiF said:

OMG, so jealous, this looks incredible.  I unfortunately never got to see him live and Bowie is like top 3 all time for me.  I love everything the man ever did and I miss him dearly.  

Speaking of the performers he assembled, they were doing a tour after he passed and they were absolutely incredible.  

I have not seen any footage from the former Bowie band members' tour.  Will definitely look for it on YouTube.

24 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I have not seen any footage from the former Bowie band members' tour.  Will definitely look for it on YouTube.

It was incredible.  This is the tour I saw, just not in Jax.  Same line up.  The singers wer Earl Slick  and Benard Fowler back up singer for Bowie/Stones and Cory Glover from Living Colour.  His voice was amazing.  He did a version of Changes that was mind blowing.  Legit, had chills through my body.  The quality sucks but you can kind of hear how good he is;

edit found a better video

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

It was incredible.  This is the tour I saw, just not in Jax.  Same line up.  The singers wer Earl Slick  and Benard Fowler back up singer for Bowie/Stones and Cory Glover from Living Colour.  His voice was amazing.  He did a version of Changes that was mind blowing.  Legit, had chills through my body.  The quality sucks but you can kind of hear how good he is;

Listening right now.  Thanks for sharing.

Earl Slick (Frank Madeloni ) is one of my favorite Bowie guitarists after Mick Ronson and Carlos Alomar.  Plus, what a hilarious stage name.  I grew up on Staten Island and Slick lived there for a while.  We'd always see him hanging out in local clubs/bars.  He even had a guy in his band I grew up with and did a show with Bowie on SI back in 2002.  Sadly, I was not there.

Amid decades of producing hits like "Let's Dance," "Under Pressure" and "Heroes," Bowie announced that he would be performing his first (and what would end up being his only) show on Staten Island for a five-borough "New York City Marathon" tour on October 11, 2002.

Our own Dean Balsamini covered the show -- which, as he noted, was specifically catered to the borough's audience. Here's an excerpt from his piece:

Among the 50 or so people with Staten Island ties in the house was Bowie guitarist Earl Slick, a former Oakwood resident.

"We're playing in front of all Earl's family and friends," Bowie said affectionately. "Joey Bag-of-Doughnuts, Carmine, Rat."

Bowie wasn't kidding.

Slick's sister, Joan Imperatrice; nephew, Joseph, both of Oakwood, and cousin Tom Magloico of Bulls Head were in attendance. And so were members of Slick's colorful Island musical circle: South Beach native Frankie LaRocka, Jack (Beau Jack) O'Neill and yes, the imposing former roadie/bouncer nicknamed Rat -- all seated in the fifth row.

Bowie played songs like "Heroes," "Fame," a Slick-fueled "China Girl," "Let's Dance," "Ashes to Ashes," "Rebel Rebel," "Everybody Says Hi," Trent Reznor's "I'm Afraid of Americans" and "Heathen."

Before his finale, "Ziggy Stardust," Bowie's last words to the audience were "Bye, Staten Island."

https://www.silive.com/entertainment/2016/01/looking_back_on_david_bowies.html

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2020 at 12:31 PM, munchmemory said:

1. (Eddie Floyd cover)
  2. Rock 'n' Roll Suicide

Saw this show in 1987, was fantastic  https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-bowie/1983/madison-square-garden-new-york-ny-53d20bad.html

Saw the "Glass Spiders" tour few years later at Giants Stadium, was a bit of a disappointment. Still terrific, but in a stadium the spectacle was a bit much. 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, JiF said:

Probably one of their best songs that showcase their evolution;  this a band who once had a song called, "Girls" - to do the dishes, to clean up my room, etc.  And 20 years later a song about how inappropriate it is to eye woman up and down, all instruments and singing. 

....love these dudes.

The Documentary on Apple TV was well done and very interesting