Chargers Turner a hot commodity

faba

Teams show plenty of interest in Bolts' Turner

By: MIKE SULLIVAN - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO ---- Chargers restricted free agent Michael Turner was a hot name over at the NFL meetings in Phoenix this week.

Teams looking for a starting running back are assessing whether to make a run at trading for Turner or filling their needs in the late-April NFL draft.

<A href="http://www.nctimes.com/special_reports/chargers2006">

View a Slide Show

"There was a lot of activity," Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said. "Very interesting. We'll see what all the talk means.

"There's legitimate interest on a few teams' part. A couple others are asking."

Smith declined to discuss specifics in terms of interested teams or what offers he has fielded. But it's known that the Green Bay Packers are highly interested in Turner. The Buffalo Bills also have interest.

Green Bay recently lost Ahman Green to Houston via free agency and Buffalo traded Willis McGahee to Baltimore.

Four weeks ago, the Chargers placed the highest possible tender on Turner, guaranteeing him a $2.35 million salary for 2007 if he remains with the Chargers. The tender allows the Chargers to match any offer sheet that Turner receives from another team. It also means any team that signs Turner to a free-agent deal must give up a first- and third-round draft pick to the Chargers.

The high price has scared teams away from signing Turner to an offer sheet, so movement involving Turner will likely come only via trade.

Just last week, Houston traded for Atlanta quarterback Matt Schaub, a restricted free agent who also received the high tender. The Texans gave up two second-round picks, switched positions in the first round with the Falcons and signed Schaub to a six-year, $48-million contract.

Logic dictates any team interested in trading for Turner would also want to negotiate a long-term deal.

Turner's agent, Bus Cook, didn't return a phone message on Thursday.

Smith said there's no urgency on the part of the Chargers to make a deal involving Turner. Smith likes having Turner (502 yards in 2006) as an insurance policy in case of a serious injury to NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson.

"I don't have a timetable," Smith said. "Some of the teams might. They want to know if they have a back. I'm OK. I either have the running back or I have some draft picks."

Buffalo has the 12th overall selection of the draft and Green Bay has the 16th. Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson is expected to be chosen within the top five picks. California's Marshawn Lynch is expected to be scooped up by either the Bills or Packers, pending the teams' moves

Lynch to the Packers is on everyone's projected draft board- so I do not see them interested in Turner.

Mcarthy doesn't seem like the coach to drop what they would have to, to get turner. I hope the pack get some talent, mcarthy will keep them more than competetive.

If the guy was such a hot commodity, somebody would have made a deal for him already.

He's a nice player that nobody really knows anything about. Maybe he can play, maybe he can't play a full season as the "man" at RB.. Who knows. But the fact is, all we ever hear is how great this kid is and how special and if only LT weren't so good, he'd be the star... Yeah that's nice, but it seems not many teams are jumping on the bandwagon and forcing a trade.

I'm sure somebody will trade for him or sign him, but this whole nonesense that he's some hot commodity is kind of ridiculous after Jones, Mcgahee, Rhodes, Duckett, Henry, Green and others all changed teams this offseason yet he's still the backup on the same team.

that's what I'm sayin' h4aSB-I do NOT want the Bills to get Turner BECAUSE he'd immediately upgrade their running game

I can't see the Bills giving up a 1st and 3rd. No way Marv does that. There are too many other holes.

Mcarthy doesn't seem like the coach to drop what they would have to, to get turner. I hope the pack get some talent, mcarthy will keep them more than competetive.

McCarthy was a bottom five offensive coordinator. I don't see how he'd be any better as a head coach.

The choice for the Bills seems to come down to Marshawn Lynch or Mike Turner. If that's the case I'd go with Lynch. I like Turner and think he can be a good feature back but Lynch seems to be a comparable talent, would not cost a 1st and a 3rd and would be a lot less expensive salary cap-wise.

56% of RB's picked in the top 10 become pro bowlers in the NFL. Those are pretty good odds. I know the Bills are picking 12th but 1st round RB's have a high success rate.

The choice for the Bills seems to come down to Marshawn Lynch or Mike Turner. If that's the case I'd go with Lynch. I like Turner and think he can be a good feature back but Lynch seems to be a comparable talent, would not cost a 1st and a 3rd and would be a lot less expensive salary cap-wise.

56% of RB's picked in the top 10 become pro bowlers in the NFL. Those are pretty good odds. I know the Bills are picking 12th but 1st round RB's have a high success rate.

What exactly makes you think he would cost a 1st and a 3rd? The truth is that its more likely that Turner would come cheaper(in terms of draft picks) than Lynch. I dont think 56% is very good odds when taking a guy in the top 10. Maybe thats just me

All we have seen is flashes from Turner because of his situation in San Diego--you have to prove yourself over a period of time to warrant giving up multiple draft picks if I was a GM.

Packers | Team not interested in M. Turner

Sat, 31 Mar 2007 06:32:52 -0700

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the Green Bay Packers, contrary to many reports, have not shown interest in San Diego Chargers restricted free agent RB Michael Turner, according to a source.

Jets | Team has interest in M. Turner

Sat, 31 Mar 2007 06:31:30 -0700

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the New York Jets have shown interest in San Diego Chargers restricted free agent RB Michael Turner.

Titans | Team has interest in M. Turner

Sat, 31 Mar 2007 06:30:05 -0700

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the Tennessee Titans have shown interest in San Diego Chargers restricted free agent RB Michael Turner.

Cowboys | Team has interest in M. Turner

Sat, 31 Mar 2007 06:22:39 -0700

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the Dallas Cowboys have shown interest in San Diego Chargers restricted free agent RB Michael Turner.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070330-1744-fbn-chargers-turner.html

SAN DIEGO – Despite the high price tag, San Diego Chargers running back Michael Turner – the backup to league MVP LaDainian Tomlinson – could be a hot commodity in the weeks leading up to the NFL draft.

General manager A.J. Smith said he fielded several inquiries about Turner, a restricted free agent, during the league meetings earlier this week in Phoenix.

McCarthy was a bottom five offensive coordinator. I don't see how he'd be any better as a head coach.

I thought that too initially, and in the back of my mind sort of think it, even still. I forgot what team he was apart of the years before san fran, but he did pretty well there. I still think he'll do a good job as a coach, dispite not having the best resume, time will tell.

I thought that too initially, and in the back of my mind sort of think it, even still. I forgot what team he was apart of the years before san fran, but he did pretty well there. I still think he'll do a good job as a coach, dispite not having the best resume, time will tell.

He was with New Orleans before San Francisco, and that is how I KNOW he sucks.

• 5 years later...

Archived