Which WS title was most satisfying(in your lifetime)

TaborJet

So, which World Series title was the most satisfying for your favorite team?

Red Sox fans need not respond to this one. Since there is only one in your lifetime, there is no choice to be made!

I was young in the 70's, so I don't remember too much about the Yankees success back then.

I guess 1996 would be it. There was such a long drought, and there was great relief when it was over.

1998 was satisfying because it was the Yankee dynasty at their zenith. Team effort, no big names, great pitching, great pen, timely hitting, and the best closer ever at his peak

1999 was an encore of 1998, with a little drop-off.

2000 was very satisfying of course, beating the Mets. But I would still give the nod to '96.

Absolutely Tabor....it's gotta be '96 for any Yankee fans who weren't around for the late 70's and showed up at the stadium to watch some terrible baseball when guys like Roberto Kelly was our best player and Lee Gutterman led the team with 11 wins out of the 'pen. I'll never forget that '96 series..after getting CRUSED by the Braves early on the Yanks bounced back and beat what was supposed to be the best pitching staff of our generation.

Absolutely Tabor....it's gotta be '96 for any Yankee fans who weren't around for the late 70's and showed up at the stadium to watch some terrible baseball when guys like Roberto Kelly was our best player and Lee Gutterman led the team with 11 wins out of the 'pen. I'll never forget that '96 series..after getting CRUSED by the Braves early on the Yanks bounced back and beat what was supposed to be the best pitching staff of our generation.

Right on bro. watching the yanks in the 80's (after 82) and early 90's, i never actually thought they'd make the playoffs. Then going down 2-0 to the braves i was a wreck, man i used to love baseball. and that 96 squad was so likeable.

To this day there aren't many pitchers i'd take over Cone in the playoffs. That man is well past CLUTCH.

As for now, i hope the yankees sink into the Atlantic, can't stand them buying the league.

Yankees lost in 2001.

That's right

And that World Series means more to me than 98,99 and 2000 put together.

Especially after what happened with 9/11 and how NYC bounced back not only with the Yankees but the Mets as well who made such a great charge late in the season.

And Personally as well as a few weeks after 9/11 I lost my grandfather who took me to my first baseball game back in 1973.

The Yanks came back from 2-0 down the beat Oakland, destroyed Seattle and gave us some of the greatest games ever played in games 3,4,5 and 7.

Tino's homer

Brosius the next night

The fans tribute to O'Neill

I could care less that they lost game 7. That post season run, with everything that was going on at the time was one of the most emotional I have ever gone through and probably will ever go through.

It doesn't top 96 though since i was there for game 6 and it doesn't touch 78 considering how far they came back from, beat Boston in the one game playoff, beat KC in ALCS and came back from 2-0 down to beat the Dodgers.

So my order

That's right

And that World Series means more to me than 98,99 and 2000 put together.

Especially after what happened with 9/11 and how NYC bounced back not only with the Yankees but the Mets as well who made such a great charge late in the season.

And Personally as well as a few weeks after 9/11 I lost my grandfather who took me to my first baseball game back in 1973.

The Yanks came back from 2-0 down the beat Oakland, destroyed Seattle and gave us some of the greatest games ever played in games 3,4,5 and 7.

Tino's homer

Brosius the next night

The fans tribute to O'Neill

I could care less that they lost game 7. That post season run, with everything that was going on at the time was one of the most emotional I have ever gone through and probably will ever go through.

It doesn't top 96 though since i was there for game 6 and it doesn't touch 78 considering how far they came back from, beat Boston in the one game playoff, beat KC in ALCS and came back from 2-0 down to beat the Dodgers.

So my order

Great post.

You have to understand..the Red Sox absolutely killed the Yankees early in that season while the Yanks had several key players hurt..when they got healthy they went on a tirade..I think they won like 40 out of 48 games between late July and September..entering the 4 game series against the Red Sox on labor day weekend they were 4 games behind,and they crushed the Red Sox in the Boston massacre..I loved that season..they were also behind the Dodgers 2-0 in the WS and came back and won 4 straight.

My highlight was in the 8th inning of the pivotal 3rd game of the ALCS(they were 5 game series back then),the Yanks were down 2-1 against the Royals in the 8th inning with Paul Splittorf on the mound..Whitey Herhog takes him out with Roy White on first and 2 outs and brings in Paul Byrd to pitch to Munson (Munson killed Bird all the time)..well,Munson hit a tremendous home run,a one hopper off the wall of the left center field bleachers..500ft..and the Yanks won the game..Rizzutto went absolutely nuts when he hit that home run.

You have to understand..the Red Sox absolutely killed the Yankees early in that season while the Yanks had several key players hurt..when they got healthy they went on a tirade..I think they won like 40 out of 48 games between late July and September..entering the 4 game series against the Red Sox on labor day weekend they were 4 games behind,and they crushed the Red Sox in the Boston massacre..I loved that season..they were also behind the Dodgers 2-0 in the WS and came back and won 4 straight.

My highlight was in the 8th inning of the pivotal 3rd game of the ALCS(they were 5 game series back then),the Yanks were down 2-1 against the Royals in the 8th inning with Paul Splittorf on the mound..Whitey Herhog takes him out with Roy White on first and 2 outs and brings in Paul Byrd to pitch to Munson (Munson killed Bird all the time)..well,Munson hit a tremendous home run,a one hopper off the wall of the left center field bleachers..500ft..and the Yanks won the game..Rizzutto went absolutely nuts when he hit that home run.

Reggie needs to get out of the way of that ball.

I find it funny non-Yankees fans favorite WS was/is not one where their team won...but rather where the yankees lost.

A bit pathetic.:roll:

at least yankee fans have more than one to choose from, I find it a bit pathetic most other teams fans don't even have one to consider( I realize this is ironic coming from a Jet fan)

You have to understand..the Red Sox absolutely killed the Yankees early in that season while the Yanks had several key players hurt..when they got healthy they went on a tirade.

29 years later we hope for the same.

I remember all from 77 on, too young to remember the details in the 77, 78 and 81 series though.

My favorite has to be 2000. Beating the Mets was pure sweetness. Especially since in the group of friends I hung out in I was the only Yankee fan there and the rest were Mets fans. It was sweet to rub it in their faces.

So, which World Series title was the most satisfying for your favorite team?

Red Sox fans need not respond to this one. Since there is only one in your lifetime, there is no choice to be made!

angry-smiley-023.gif

angry-smiley-048.gif

angry-smiley-049.gif

angry-smiley-056.gif

I'm 33 years old, and 96 was the best I can remember. Going down to the Braves 2 games to nothing, and coming back the way we did was amazing. Just sucked we were forced to see wade Boggs have to get a ring and ride a horse around the stadium. I would've rather seen him retire ringless like Rice, Evans, Yaz and Teddy the Bitterman.

2001 was special because of everything that happened on 9-11. It didn't bring us a ring, but it brought all Ny folks something to cheer about for a while.

Having said this, I will probably cry the day I see my jets win it all.

To me, it was 1978. The comeback from the 14+ games out in teh summer was amazing. And not just because it happened against teh Bosox, but to come back from that defecit against any team would have been amazing. Then to take the WS after being down was simply great.

Folks who picked 1996 have to remember that the drought from 1964-1976 was equally as bad. Maybe worse, as CBS, who owned the Yankees did not invest any money in the team or the Minor League System. The Orioles brought up stud young players every year. The Yankees produced Horace Clarke types.

I can see picking 1996, but 1977 was exactly the same. However, 1978 was the one for the ages.

As I do remember 96 and it was a great season and great series, gotta give the nod to the 3rd straight in 2000 over the Mets and just laughing at all the Mets fans who actually thought they had a chance for the entire offseason and still laugh about it now.

1978. Red Sox collapse, the one-game divisional playoff, Chris Chambliss beating the Royals and the first series title since the year I was born to cap it all off.

1978 it is - Billy Martin gets fired and rehired in a week, Bucky Dent goes into the net in left field in the 7th inning of the one-game playoff, Gator goes 25-3, and the Goose got loose. Great team, great season.

2000 over the Mets is number two:

"Now Rivera is set, and the 0-1...swung on and hit in the air to deep center. Bernie back, away back! He's there! He MAKES THE CATCH! BALLGAME OVER! WORLD SERIES OVER! YANKEES WIN! THEEEEEEEEEEE YANKEES WIN! The New York Yankees have once again reached the summit of the sports world! They've won their third straight championship,4th in the last 5 years, and 26th overall. The most successful franchise in all of sports! Starting the new millennium, the New York Yankees are once again World Champions!!"

Archived