Concussion

drago

I have had three in the past. I might have gotten another last night, except my eyes aren't dielated at all, which is opposite of the other ones i guess.

I have a pounding head ache and can't focus on things far away. I think i may have rung up #4. chit

does that sound like a concussion?

let's do a quick check to be sure. how many fingers am I holdin up?

soory, bobs right, get it checked out

haha, yeah that i can do. on two of the concussions i've had i coudln't answer questions. this one i'm pretty much fine except for the blurred vision at a distance. stupid soccer, i quit.

anyone got any cool concussion stories, i had friend that would start crying for no reason the day of a huge concussion...i hate to say it, but it was pretty damn funny...kid ended up being our validictorian...go figure.

haha, yeah that i can do. on two of the concussions i've had i coudln't answer questions. this one i'm pretty much fine except for the blurred vision at a distance. stupid soccer, i quit.

anyone got any cool concussion stories, i had friend that would start crying for no reason the day of a huge concussion...i hate to say it, but it was pretty damn funny...kid ended up being our validictorian...go figure.

sorry, I have no concussion stories that I can remember ;)

Ive had three myself, and Id say you could very well just have a mild one. The last one i had was "mild," and I just had a horrible headache and sensitivity to light really.

As for a story...my first was several years ago on a ski trip. There were an odd number of us, and I got stuck being the guy on the lift with a random stranger. Well, this random stranger happened to be about twice my weight, maybe a little more. The daytime temp. was in the 40's and it had crashed into the low 20s at night, so it was a little icy, and the guy was apparently a pretty new skier...so when we got to the top of the lift, instead of going straight ahead and getting clear of the lift, he decided to go right...where i was. Anyways, he ends up pushing me down, falling on my head and sitting on it for a hot minute or so until someone got him off. I actually kept trying to ski, but when i got to a trail i had to stop on the side for a sec...and then a little girl got out of control and ran into me, lol. Just one of those days.

Ive had three myself, and Id say you could very well just have a mild one. The last one i had was "mild," and I just had a horrible headache and sensitivity to light really.

As for a story...my first was several years ago on a ski trip. There were an odd number of us, and I got stuck being the guy on the lift with a random stranger. Well, this random stranger happened to be about twice my weight, maybe a little more. The daytime temp. was in the 40's and it had crashed into the low 20s at night, so it was a little icy, and the guy was apparently a pretty new skier...so when we got to the top of the lift, instead of going straight ahead and getting clear of the lift, he decided to go right...where i was. Anyways, he ends up pushing me down, falling on my head and sitting on it for a hot minute or so until someone got him off. I actually kept trying to ski, but when i got to a trail i had to stop on the side for a sec...and then a little girl got out of control and ran into me, lol. Just one of those days.

skiing with the newbies is so dangerous. there is no ratonale to where they are turning, when they are turning. its a total guess. I'm not that great of a skier either, so i can't compensate for someon doing the snowplow on a black diamond...lol...sure looks funny though.

When I was in my early 20's I was playing in this baseball league. I was catching and got barreled over at the plate. Mask off (was actually catching without a helmet as scary as that is). Guy got there before me. I had the plate blocked and he launched me.

I caught the rest of the inning. Got up the next inning then one of my friends knew I was screwed up. They took me to the hospital and I had a concussion. I have NO memory of that day other than getting in the car to go to the game and later that night.

What sucked for everyone around me is that I had no short term memory. So I would ask what happened over and over again. I had gotten a catchers interference earlier in the game so my finger was killing me and I couldn't remember why.

Drazen Petrovic from the Nets died that day. I followed the Nets pretty closely back then and everytime I saw it on the news I was freaked out. To this day my friends still bust my balls about it. They will call and say they have bad news. Then tell me that Drazen died again. They are heartless bastards, lol.

Anyhow if you are ever around someone with a concussion\short term memory loss here is the best thing you can do. Write down for them what happened and the answers to their questions. By the end of the day I was starting to remember. I would know that some stuff happened but not remember 100% so I kept asking. Well after telling the story 100 times it is probably better to just read it instead of bugging everyone around you.

Concussions suck. I missed a week of work.

I had one once when I was a kid (13) I was playing football at the local High school and me and my friends were playing football with these Guys that were like 30 .Anyways ,they were on the goal Line about to score ,So then a Big whole opens up and it's me and this dude, that's huge and so I try to tackle him by his legs ,but he try to jump over me and Kne'd me on the top of my head .

Then all I remember is seeing " white " so after 5 or 10 seconds I guess ,the guy is shakin' me saying a kid are you ok maybe you should go home and put some Ice on that.I was still trying to shake it off ,so I said put Ice on what ?? then the guy said feel the top of your head kid ,so I did ,and my melon was shaped like an Egg or should I say Conehead.Man that sh!t hurt like hell and it took a week to go away.Thank god that is the only one that I ever had.

my melon was shaped like an Egg or should I say Conehead.Man that sh!t hurt like hell and it took a week to go away.

Is that when you became inspired to make your specialty hats?

My first concussion was in my first 5 minutes of playing time in college as a freshmen. The week before, coach was preaching "challenge every 50-50 ball, even if you can't win it, just challenge". So 5 minutes in, there is this guy about 6'2" (i'm 6') who has a beat on the ball, and will easily win it. i jump for my token challenge, but i guess i flinched, and he caught me in the head with his knee, then landed his knee on my head. i staggerd around for about a minute before sitting indian syle in the middle of the field.

We lost that game, and coach made us run afterwards, up this hill. somehow i got in the line for the running and ran with them. god i'm an idiot sometimes. lol

Get it checked out,go to a neurologist if necessary..I got hit in the head with a beer mug almost 20 years ago..and after it happened I thought I just had a sore jaw, when I opened my mouth my whole jaw ached (I got hit below the temple)..well..I began to sleep walk after that..and it all started that night.

Get it checked out,go to a neurologist if necessary..I got hit in the head with a beer mug almost 20 years ago..and after it happened I thought I just had a sore jaw, when I opened my mouth my whole jaw ached (I got hit below the temple)..well..I began to sleep walk after that..and it all started that night.

If only you had posted before that fateful night. Then the whole world would know what truly could have been.

Instead we are left with the words that you type right now.

:smilies2_puke:

Concussions are serious business, and as a psychology major, I can say that my concern for protecting the human brain means that I will never allow my child to play soccer or football unless it is his/her absolute desire to do so. It's just too risky in my view.

In some instances, head injuries cause people a PERMANENT inability to create new memories (anterograde amnesia). What Max experienced (not remembering what just happened) is a reality for people like this for the rest of their lives. For others, they may damage a part of the brain such that they speak and think they are talking correctly, but are actually spitting out incomprehensible words. I wouldn't wish something like this on my worst enemy.

Concussions are serious business, and as a psychology major, I can say that my concern for protecting the human brain means that I will never allow my child to play soccer or football unless it is his/her absolute desire to do so. It's just too risky in my view.

In some instances, head injuries cause people a PERMANENT inability to create new memories (anterograde amnesia). What Max experienced (not remembering what just happened) is a reality for people like this for the rest of their lives. For others, they may damage a part of the brain such that they speak and think they are talking correctly, but are actually spitting out incomprehensible words. I wouldn't wish something like this on my worst enemy.

That explains a lot. I received my first concussion when I was 12. I was clotheslined playing Aussie Rules Football. All I remember is that my parents wouldn't let me sleep for hours after it happened. That was probably a good thing as I threw up a couple of times!

That explains a lot. I received my first concussion when I was 12. I was clotheslined playing Aussie Rules Football. All I remember is that my parents wouldn't let me sleep for hours after it happened. That was probably a good thing as I threw up a couple of times!

And the scary thing is this happens to people all the time, and often it is treated as "just a concussion". What they don't realize is that millions of neurons, in all liklihood, are killed off with each of these "minor" head injuries. And if the injury occurs in the back of the brain, where it is very vulnerable, you're talking about life-threatening injuries.

If only you had posted before that fateful night. Then the whole world would know what truly could have been.

Instead we are left with the words that you type right now.

:smilies2_puke:

:rl:

You're such an *******! just saying. :rl:

I forget what I was going to type.

Seriously -- you are right about the not wishing it on your enemy part. Can you imagine being the primary caregiver for someone with memory loss like that? Oh man. Rough stuff.

Similar thing happened to me.

I was the same age went up for a pass and a defender took my feet out from under me and landed on my head. I got home and was blowing chunks. The next day in school, I noticed I could no longer see the board from my seat.

I got one. It was freshman year of high school, and i was playing soccer. Me and this other kid went up for a header and we knocked heads. He was okay, but the next thing i remember was sitting in my mom's car going home, with her asking me if I was alright. I got home and she called the rescue squad and i went to the hospital. My teammates told me that i landed on my feet, wobbled a bit, and just fell over and didn't move.

Only time I had one was when I was about 10, we were playing soccer at school. I had the ball. literally flying down the wing and I was tripped, went through the air, and came down headfirst on a rock.

According to my classmates I went blind or something, because they were dragging me into the school building and all I'm doing is screaming "I can't see!" over and over.

I just remember going for a ball, next thing, I'm in the doctor's.

Still have the lump on my head.

Only time I had one was when I was about 10, we were playing soccer at school. I had the ball. literally flying down the wing and I was tripped, went through the air, and came down headfirst on a rock.

According to my classmates I went blind or something, because they were dragging me into the school building and all I'm doing is screaming "I can't see!" over and over.

They have concussions in Ireland now? Cmon. Next thing you will say you have running water. Totally not believable.

:fighting0050:

I'm noting a central theme here. Mostly soccer related, god love that sport. They had a reporter come to one of our practices in high school, and she wanted to talk to anyone that had, had a concussion. So me and this other dude answer her questions, i think she was dissapointed because she was under the impression that soccer players get it from the ball to head contact. In my experience its almost always from head to head, head to ground, or head to knee...not so much with the ball, i'm not saying heading the ball helps the old "intelligence" but it won't knock you out cold. normally.

we were shootin hoops at the ymca & our football coach came in. we started running patterns with him q'backing. at the very corner of the gym there is a 6' x 6' room which means an outside corner of concrete. He led me a little too much but I was determined to pull it in til I was abruptly interrupted by the corner of the concrete. woke up once in the ambulance wonderin what my mom was doing there. don't remember much of anythig else but it was literally a goose size egg on my forhead. the weirdest thing I ever saw.

fortunately someone had the good sense to wrap the corner in chicken wire or I coulda really been hurt :shock:

can you believe it? f#@king chickenwire on a concrete wall.

I forget what I was going to type.

Seriously -- you are right about the not wishing it on your enemy part. Can you imagine being the primary caregiver for someone with memory loss like that? Oh man. Rough stuff.

Exactly. I hope that that is never a reality for my family.

This is why I think people who box for a living are absolutely insane. Which, incidentally, is exactly what some of them become after retiring from boxing and have to deal with a long-term brain trauma.

When I was in my early 20's I was playing in this baseball league. I was catching and got barreled over at the plate. Mask off (was actually catching without a helmet as scary as that is). Guy got there before me. I had the plate blocked and he launched me.

I caught the rest of the inning. Got up the next inning then one of my friends knew I was screwed up. They took me to the hospital and I had a concussion. I have NO memory of that day other than getting in the car to go to the game and later that night.

What sucked for everyone around me is that I had no short term memory. So I would ask what happened over and over again. I had gotten a catchers interference earlier in the game so my finger was killing me and I couldn't remember why.

Drazen Petrovic from the Nets died that day. I followed the Nets pretty closely back then and everytime I saw it on the news I was freaked out. To this day my friends still bust my balls about it. They will call and say they have bad news. Then tell me that Drazen died again. They are heartless bastards, lol.

Anyhow if you are ever around someone with a concussion\short term memory loss here is the best thing you can do. Write down for them what happened and the answers to their questions. By the end of the day I was starting to remember. I would know that some stuff happened but not remember 100% so I kept asking. Well after telling the story 100 times it is probably better to just read it instead of bugging everyone around you.

Concussions suck. I missed a week of work.

Why I am always that last to find out.....

Hey - did you at least win the game??

we were shootin hoops at the ymca & our football coach came in. we started running patterns with him q'backing. at the very corner of the gym there is a 6' x 6' room which means an outside corner of concrete. He led me a little too much but I was determined to pull it in til I was abruptly interrupted by the corner of the concrete. woke up once in the ambulance wonderin what my mom was doing there. don't remember much of anythig else but it was literally a goose size egg on my forhead. the weirdest thing I ever saw.

fortunately someone had the good sense to wrap the corner in chicken wire or I coulda really been hurt :shock:

can you believe it? f#@king chickenwire on a concrete wall.

Maybe you should put a call into him and see is he can help chad.

Why I am always that last to find out.....

Hey - did you at least win the game??

LOL -- you know what? I actually don't know. I think we lost. But I think you caught after I left so you tell me.

Archived