Texans' Green makes downpayment on home for single mom - ESPN.com (How cool is this?)

Texans' Green makes downpayment on home for single mom

Associated Press

HOUSTON -- When Regina Foster tells her son Reginald they're finally moving from an apartment to their own home, the 7-year-old with autism likely won't comprehend what that means.

I never realized how important this could be. I thought it could be big, but I was nowhere in the ballpark of what it would mean to this one family.

Ahman Green

But when he sees the backyard, he'll be happy and that's all that matters to Foster, a single mom.

"He'll respond to that," she said with a smile.

Foster's dream of home ownership is coming true thanks to Ahman Green and the Houston Texans. On Monday, Green made good on a promise to make the down payment on a home for a single parent in exchange for reclaiming his No. 30 from teammate Jason Simmons.

"This is for Reggie," Foster said, tears running down her cheeks when she was surprised at work by Green and Simmons. "He needs it. Kids with autism can't adapt well to change, so it will be wonderful to have something we don't have to ever leave."

Foster received a check for $50,000, with Green donating $25,000 and Texans owner Bob McNair contributing the rest.

"You definitely deserve it and we're happy to do it," Green said as Foster thanked him while hugging him repeatedly.

Foster, who works for a mortgage company, was chosen from five finalists who met strict criteria that included a pledge to do 100 hours of community service and contribute at least $1,500 toward the down payment.

"I always wanted to use my star power to help people," said Green, who signed as free agent with the Texans after playing in Green Bay since 2000. "When we have the opportunity to do that it's just overwhelming."

Foster said she knew nothing about football and reluctantly admitted she wasn't a Texans fan.

"I just became one," she joked, adding that she'll dedicate Reggie's room to the Texans. Green said they'd donate Texans gear for the room.

Simmons, who came up with the idea when Green approached him about the number he'd worn since the inception of the franchise, had to fight back tears during the presentation.

"This is emotional," Simmons said. "When I thought of this I couldn't have imagined anything on this level. The best part is that she's not worried about herself, she wants a place for her son."

Green said part of the reason why Foster was chosen was because he learned through work with Easter Seals the difficulties and expense of caring for a child with special needs.

Foster has been trying to buy a house for some time to provide her son more stability and give him a backyard in which to play. She quickly found that her lack of money for a down payment would make such a purchase difficult and had put her plans on hold until Monday.

"I had been getting discouraged," she said. "I couldn't afford the down payment, but because of them I can finally do this."

Madeline Jones, a friend and co-worker of Foster's, said Foster was a hard worker and she couldn't think of anyone who deserved this more.

"Her son is her life," Jones said. "This is a dream come true. I don't think these guys even realize how big this is to her. It's unreal."

Green said it was hard to believe his promise had evolved from some words and a handshake with Simmons to a reality.

"I never realized how important this could be," he said. "I thought it could be big, but I was nowhere in the ballpark of what it would mean to this one family."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

This is what I hate about the media sometimes, the whole Michael Vick saga gets non-stop coverage, but when players do good they don't get any PR.

You see so many articles on DUI arrests, drug possesions, gun/weapon possessions, steroids, etc. you are lead on to think that all proffessional athletes are thugs, and low-lifes.

Ahman Green is a good person as well as 99.99999 of all other NFL players, it's just the few jackasses that ruin their image (Pacman, can you hear me?)

There really are so many good things players are doing, the NFL needs to do an even better job of promoting it, IMO.

That's an excellent point. The NFL is so quick to point out the misfits with headlines and punishment. Perhaps a little positive reinforcement could encourage more positivity in the league.

BTW, the Jets have charities, and clinics up the kazoo.

we really need more people like this in sports.. wonderful story.

I hear warrik dunn buys a house for a single parent ever christmas. I saw it on a tv show one year. ever since I've always had respect for the guy.

This is what I hate about the media sometimes, the whole Michael Vick saga gets non-stop coverage, but when players do good they don't get any PR.

You see so many articles on DUI arrests, drug possesions, gun/weapon possessions, steroids, etc. you are lead on to think that all proffessional athletes are thugs, and low-lifes.

Ahman Green is a good person as well as 99.99999 of all other NFL players, it's just the few jackasses that ruin their image (Pacman, can you hear me?)

good post SJ35...it may seem hokey to some but POTW nom

we really need more people like this in sports.. wonderful story.

I hear warrik dunn buys a house for a single parent ever christmas. I saw it on a tv show one year. ever since I've always had respect for the guy.

How do I get my name on the list?????? :)

This is a nice feel good story, but let's spice this discussion up...it was 25 large from a guy who wipes his a$$ with that kind of change...not to mention the fact that it's a deductible.

Alk said he is a repeat giver, so I give him benefit/doubt, but this one incident is no bigger than joe scmoh helping out habitat for humanity or some $hit...although certainly better press than what we are used to this offseason.

These guys are under no obligation to make donations to individuals. Just b/c they have lots of $ doesn't mean it's their responsibility to give any of it away. This is a feel-good story b/c it's an is-good story. I'm a skeptic all over, but there's nothing to find fault with here.

In a sense, though Green wrote the check & is getting most of the accolades, Simmons is kind of the one who donated it. The $25k would have gone in his pocket for the jersey #. Instead he told Green to give it to someone less fortunate & was totally his idea if you read the article.

These guys are under no obligation to make donations to individuals. Just b/c they have lots of $ doesn't mean it's their responsibility to give any of it away. This is a feel-good story b/c it's an is-good story. I'm a skeptic all over, but there's nothing to find fault with here.

In a sense, though Green wrote the check & is getting most of the accolades, Simmons is kind of the one who donated it. The $25k would have gone in his pocket for the jersey #. Instead he told Green to give it to someone less fortunate & was totally his idea if you read the article.

Yep. Don't forget the owner. Nobody rips NFL owners more than me, but this guy matched Green's donation dollar for dollar and is barely getting a peep. Good job all around.

Archived