Michael Strahan "betrayed"

shawn306

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2956932

New York media serves as battleground for Strahan-Giants feud

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The Michael Strahan saga continued to play out in the New York newspapers on Wednesday, with Strahan's camp firing the latest salvos.

A day after Giants coach Tom Coughlin and general manager Jerry Reese confirmed they had talked with Strahan on Monday, and Reese said he told Strahan that the Giants are moving forward as if he is not coming, Strahan's confidants spoke out.

"How could he not feel betrayed?" the New York Daily News quoted a "source who spoke with Strahan" on Tuesday. "After spending 14 years, after being a loyal and dedicated player to an organization, and now that he is considering retirement, the most difficult decision in his career, instead of giving him space to make this decision, people are talking about fines and replacements?

"I am really sad that this situation is being portrayed the way it is. This is not about money."

Strahan hasn't reported to camp. Wednesday marks the sixth day of his holdout. Strahan has a contract which would pay him $4 million this season. The Giants are reportedly continuing to fine Strahan $14,288 for each day of camp that he misses.

The Giants want Strahan to make a decision about his future sooner rather than later.

On Tuesday, a senior Giants official told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio that the team believes Strahan is bluffing about retirement. The official said the team doesn't want "Tiki, the Sequel" -- non-stop, season-long speculation that Strahan is retiring. Last year, the Tiki Barber situation destroyed the team, the official said.

Barber retired at the end of last season and is now an NFL analyst for NBC.

One possible replacement for Strahan, should he not report, is former Tampa Bay defensive end Simeon Rice, who was released by the Buccaneers for failing a physical.

Tuesday, the St. Petersberg Times quoted Rice as saying he'd passed a series of exams administered by Dr. James Andrews, a widely respected orthopedist.

"It was all 100 percent," Rice told the Times. "Dr. Andrews said, 'What kind of physical did you take down there?' I told him they just checked for my mobility in the shoulder and said I failed. He said, 'They didn't even test you for any kind of structure in the shoulder?'"

The Daily News, which described Rice as Strahan's "arch-enemy," said Rice will meet with Giants team officials Tuesday. One source reportedly told the paper the Giants are considering offering him a contract if they are confident he is healthy.

Strahan is the NFL's active sacks leader with 132

Michael is trying to pull a fast one ,either he wants more money or he doesn't want to go through TC like everyone else jmo.

what i don't get is why gap teeth (who i admit is a very nice guy and signed me an autograph at the Jet-Giant training camp a few years ago) is doing this after all the tiki BS last year

whats wrong with football players

Favre, Strahan, Barber, every year we have someone bitching about how they want to retire but aren't 100% positive

MAKE UP YOUR GOD DAMN MINDS OR LET SOMEONE ELSE TAKE YOUR ROSTER SPOT.

what i don't get is why gap teeth (who i admit is a very nice guy and signed me an autograph at the Jet-Giant training camp a few years ago) is doing this after all the tiki BS last year

Favre, Strahan, Barber, every year we have someone bitching about how they want to retire but aren't 100% positive

Maybe he just thinks Coughlin is a douchebag. I sure wouldn't do that ******* any favors if I were on that team. Seems like the FO is only keeping Coughlin around because A. They have some serious ties (friendship? I thought it might be naked pictures of Ernie Accorsi, but he retired and Coughlin is still around) or B. They are waiting for one of the high profile guys that will be available in '08. Bill Cowher anybody?

Maybe he just thinks Coughlin is a douchebag. I sure wouldn't do that ******* any favors if I were on that team. Seems like the FO is only keeping Coughlin around because A. They have some serious ties (friendship? I thought it might be naked pictures of Ernie Accorsi, but he retired and Coughlin is still around) or B. They are waiting for one of the high profile guys that will be available in '08. Bill Cowher anybody?

i think the enitre Giant locker room thinks he's a d-bag but they still have jobs to do and they show up for them

I'll be at the Giants training camp today (my family lives in Albany so we go every year, Hofstra is too damn far of a travel and I'm man enough to admit here the Giants are my favorite NFC team) and I'm sure Strahan will be the biggest discussion when in reality he's not even the best player on that defense anymore.

Strahan has ALWAYS been about Strahan. Just go away, pay your alimony and shut up.

I can't stand him...he's such an arrogant, egotistical ******* who thinks he's bigger than the team. I can't wait until he retires. I personally hope he never plays for the Giants again. I honestly think they'll be a better team for it since they won't have to put up with his bull**** anymore.

this is strahans last chance for payday - for his entire life. he could probably get some kind of analyst position but not at $4M+ per year. don't forget he owes his ex some serious cash. the best thing he could do is wait until the giants sign rice and then report and force the giants to cut him so he can go get a FA contract somewhere else. personally, i hate this BS and i hope the giants hold firm and tell him to stick it.

It isn't that complicated. Either play for $ 4 million, or retire. I suspect given his divorce this is all a show so he can avoid camp for a few weeks and get out of paying his failure to report fines. The Giants would love for him and his $ 4 million in cap money to retire, but they're playing it right. He's 35 going on 36, he's always hurt and their new defense doesn't play to his strengths.

this is strahans last chance for payday - for his entire life. he could probably get some kind of analyst position but not at $4M+ per year. don't forget he owes his ex some serious cash. the best thing he could do is wait until the giants sign rice and then report and force the giants to cut him so he can go get a FA contract somewhere else. personally, i hate this BS and i hope the giants hold firm and tell him to stick it.

I strongly believe coughlin is directly responsible for veterans like tiki & strahan, who have been the heart & soul of the giants, to have lost any allegience to the organization they might have had. couple the death of mara, the retirement of accorsi with that as well but coughlin has changed any team leaders way of thinking. expect shockey to act up next

I strongly believe coughlin is directly responsible for veterans like tiki & strahan, who have been the heart & soul of the giants, to have lost any allegience to the organization they might have had. couple the death of mara, the retirement of accorsi with that as well but coughlin has changed any team leaders way of thinking. expect shockey to act up next

Isn't it great? I hope they extend Coughlin.

I dont like Strahan either and the irony is you have someone like Priest Holmes trying fighting for his football life to try and play one more time and then you have people like Strahan. Or Greg Ellis or countless others.

Archived