Bradon Moore unhappy with his contract

Kentucky Jet

Moore discontentment for Jets

Starting right guard latest to gripe about contract

Thursday, August 02, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The Jets knew veteran left guard Pete Kendall was unhappy with his contract and it would be an issue entering training camp.

And they had an indication cornerback Darrelle Revis, their first-round pick, would hold out since the two sides haven't agreed on the length of Revis' rookie deal. (Revis wants to sign for five years; the Jets want him for six.)

Add veteran starting right guard Brandon Moore to the list of players who aren't satisfied with their financial arrangements with the team.

Moore sat out Tuesday's morning workout for what the team said were "personal reasons," but he actually was protesting his contract, according to a person who speaks regularly with members of the Jets organization. That person requested anonymity because he's not authorized to speak for Moore.

Moore, entering his fifth season, is in the fourth year of a six-year, $8 million contract. A starter the past three seasons, he's scheduled to earn $800,000 this season. The University of Illinois product is a converted defensive tackle and his emergence as a starting guard was a huge development for the Jets.

After Tuesday's morning session, Moore returned for the afternoon practice. The person with knowledge of the situation said Moore returned only after the Jets promised they would address his situation after deciding what to do with Kendall.

"I wasn't here for personal reasons," Moore said after practice yesterday at Hofstra.

When pressed, Moore said, "I'm not discussing my contract."

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum declined to comment. Moore's new agent, Hadley Engelhard, could not be reached.

It has been an unsettling start to training camp for Tannenbaum, who is in his second season as general manager and has taken a hard line with the Kendall and Revis negotiations.

Kendall, who is scheduled to earn $1.7 million this season but wants $2.7 million, said he "honestly" felt he had a handshake agreement with the Jets that they would release him if they didn't rework his contract. He added that Tannenbaum told him his request was "reasonable."

The Jets appear reluctant to rework Kendall's contract so as to not set a precedent that other players could follow.

Asked yesterday if he would stay with the Jets if they met his demands, Kendall said, "Absolutely. I know I would be fine, but I can't speak for the other parties involved."

Revis, whom the Jets traded up 12 slots to get at 14th overall, wants a deal comparable to those given the players drafted around him. All but one of the first-round picks between sixth and 16th have received five-year contracts. Only Amobi Okoye, taken 10th by the Houston Texans, signed a six-year pact.

Tannenbaum told The Star-Ledger on Tuesday that the lines of communication between he and Revis' agent, Neil Schwartz, are open.

The Jets are believed to be close to $10 million under the $109 million salary cap, but it seems Tannenbaum would like to avoid approaching the salary-cap strain the Jets faced in 2001.

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at

dhutchinson@starledger.com

Moore discontentment for Jets

Starting right guard latest to gripe about contract

Thursday, August 02, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The Jets knew veteran left guard Pete Kendall was unhappy with his contract and it would be an issue entering training camp.

And they had an indication cornerback Darrelle Revis, their first-round pick, would hold out since the two sides haven't agreed on the length of Revis' rookie deal. (Revis wants to sign for five years; the Jets want him for six.)

Add veteran starting right guard Brandon Moore to the list of players who aren't satisfied with their financial arrangements with the team.

Moore sat out Tuesday's morning workout for what the team said were "personal reasons," but he actually was protesting his contract, according to a person who speaks regularly with members of the Jets organization. That person requested anonymity because he's not authorized to speak for Moore.

Moore, entering his fifth season, is in the fourth year of a six-year, $8 million contract. A starter the past three seasons, he's scheduled to earn $800,000 this season. The University of Illinois product is a converted defensive tackle and his emergence as a starting guard was a huge development for the Jets.

After Tuesday's morning session, Moore returned for the afternoon practice. The person with knowledge of the situation said Moore returned only after the Jets promised they would address his situation after deciding what to do with Kendall.

"I wasn't here for personal reasons," Moore said after practice yesterday at Hofstra.

When pressed, Moore said, "I'm not discussing my contract."

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum declined to comment. Moore's new agent, Hadley Engelhard, could not be reached.

It has been an unsettling start to training camp for Tannenbaum, who is in his second season as general manager and has taken a hard line with the Kendall and Revis negotiations.

Kendall, who is scheduled to earn $1.7 million this season but wants $2.7 million, said he "honestly" felt he had a handshake agreement with the Jets that they would release him if they didn't rework his contract. He added that Tannenbaum told him his request was "reasonable."

The Jets appear reluctant to rework Kendall's contract so as to not set a precedent that other players could follow.

Asked yesterday if he would stay with the Jets if they met his demands, Kendall said, "Absolutely. I know I would be fine, but I can't speak for the other parties involved."

Revis, whom the Jets traded up 12 slots to get at 14th overall, wants a deal comparable to those given the players drafted around him. All but one of the first-round picks between sixth and 16th have received five-year contracts. Only Amobi Okoye, taken 10th by the Houston Texans, signed a six-year pact.

Tannenbaum told The Star-Ledger on Tuesday that the lines of communication between he and Revis' agent, Neil Schwartz, are open.

The Jets are believed to be close to $10 million under the $109 million salary cap, but it seems Tannenbaum would like to avoid approaching the salary-cap strain the Jets faced in 2001.

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at

dhutchinson@starledger.com

This is what they get for keeping Kendall around. He should have been gone before camp even started. Revis has the same agent and the floodgates are now open as far as complaining goes. This could be a bad season unless they get some order real soon.

This is what they get for keeping Kendall around. He should have been gone before camp even started. Revis has the same agent and the floodgates are now open as far as complaining goes. This could be a bad season unless they get some order real soon.

I am of that opinion too! KendaLL WILL SCREW THE TEAMS CHEMISTRY!

Without Kendall Moore's leverage goes up, not down. I'm scared enough about starting Moore and Kendall at OG, let alone Clarke and Jones.

We also have a GUY WHO IS HAVING A VERY SOLID CAMP AT rog: ROBERT TURNER plus there are several good OG's( Free Agents) available and more will be coming as cuts are made for financial reasons etc. Many were afraid the year we played KERRY JENKINS. He hit it out of the park! IMO MOORE was a problem last year. Always off-sides. He has a valid contract and I do not see the leverage you are referring to. Mangini can not allow Moore & Kendall to disrupt team harmony. Moore ought to wise up! CLARKE is the roadgrader type we need! AJ is very athletic and in a limited space he could develop great with his speed and quickness. Lets not sell the Jets short just yet! TURNER just might be another mauling type roadgrader at ROG! Time alone will tell but we simply can not tolerate being held for ransom! IMO

We also have a GUY WHO IS HAVING A VERY SOLID CAMP AT rog: ROBERT TURNER plus there are several good OG's( Free Agents) available and more will be coming as cuts are made for financial reasons etc. Many were afraid the year we played KERRY JENKINS. He hit it out of the park! IMO MOORE was a problem last year. Always off-sides. He has a valid contract and I do not see the leverage you are referring to. Mangini can not allow Moore & Kendall to disrupt team harmony. Moore ought to wise up! CLARKE is the roadgrader type we need! AJ is very athletic and in a limited space he could develop great with his speed and quickness. Lets not sell the Jets short just yet! TURNER just might be another mauling type roadgrader at ROG! Time alone will tell but we simply can not tolerate being held for ransom! IMO

It's pretty simple. The less legit guards in camp the more leverage Moore has. I agree they shouldn't cave to everybody, but they have to put NFL players on the field. Please note that Moore also seems to be saying that he now has a handshake deal with the Jets. They should be refuting it now if it's not true. I'm not counting on many cap casualties this year. Most teams are under the cap and going with the BAP. Maybe some older guys people are looking to dump or guys that don't fit a system, but not the usuall cash exodus. I appreciate your optimism with starting these low level FA/UDFA types, but I hope you can understand if I don't share it.

Haven't heard much mention of Turner. Most of the reports I saw had Clarke and McChesney battling for Kendall's spot. Now it seems like Clarke's to lose with Jones next in line. Jones was a converted TE who was supposed to have the speed and footwork to deal with speed rushers like Jason Taylor-I don't see how that's going to help him at guard. He always seemed to kind of suck as a run blocker IIRC.

For some reason I could've swore he signed a 5 year, $25 million extension after the '03 or '04 season, so when I saw this I was about to go on fire. Now after reading in the paper it was only a 6 year, $8 million deal, I don't blame him when he has been the starting Right Guard since Week 17 of the 2003 season.

Anyway, according to the article, once the Kendall situation is resolved the Jets agreed to talk to Moore about his contract and I'm sure he'll get a pay raise.

But first, can we PLEASE get Darrelle in camp?

The bright side is it sounds like Moore and his agent are willing to be patient. BTW, he still has 3 more years on his contract. Interesting to see how this unfolds since from the article is suggesting that Tannenbaum is willing to re-negotiate his contract once they settle the Kendall affair, which is generally not the Tannenbaum policy with such contracts. Funny, but Moore was probably "the players & coaches" Kendall was referring to as shaking their heads and whistling when he dissed the organization.

No need to panic or get stressed though. These are minor distractions. The fact is these incidents happen to every team. This year in particular guards are going crazy with the extra cap space. A couple of big deals have given them and their agents big balls.

the Jets are a 10-6 team looking to make the next step, they can't find a mil for Kendall and a half mil for Moore to keep the OL intact? wtf???

i understand the principle but if it comes at the expense of wins that's just being cheap. the Jets are 10 mil under the cap, the Pats are spending like crazy, but they can't find a couple bucks for the starters?

the Jets are a 10-6 team looking to make the next step, they can't find a mil for Kendall and a half mil for Moore to keep the OL intact? wtf???

i understand the principle but if it comes at the expense of wins that's just being cheap. the Jets are 10 mil under the cap, the Pats are spending like crazy, but they can't find a couple bucks for the starters?

You can't renegotiate with players that have more than one year left on their deals or it sets a bad example and everyone with mulitple years left who had a good year will want ot reneg.

You can't renegotiate with players that have more than one year left on their deals or it sets a bad example and everyone with mulitple years left who had a good year will want ot reneg.

Eh. Caving in to these mini-holdouts may set a bad example. However, when you have extra cap room you should pay the guys who are underpaid. It sounds like that's what Moore and Kendall are looking for and neither is looking to break the bank or put the team in cap hell. A little bump wouldn't have hurt, but turning into a pissing match might. I don't approve of saving ANY money off the cap. The whole thing should be spent every year. **** the owners, they are making money anyway.

2 different situations here. Moore can be extended and get paid a signing bonus the wont affect the current year salary (but he still gets his extra cash now). We don't really want Kendal much past this year so we dont have these cap tricks to play. I still might want to throw him an extra 300k to get him for a playoff run this year.

Eh. Caving in to these mini-holdouts may set a bad example. However, when you have extra cap room you should pay the guys who are underpaid. It sounds like that's what Moore and Kendall are looking for and neither is looking to break the bank or put the team in cap hell. A little bump wouldn't have hurt, but turning into a pissing match might. I don't approve of saving ANY money off the cap. The whole thing should be spent every year. **** the owners, they are making money anyway.

I agree that the whole cap should be spent and I hate that certain owners don't. But the Jets have always had a policy of not giving raises on contract with more than a year remaining. This is nothing new. This is the reason Keyshawn was traded and I agree with the policy. If the Jets reneg these two, then they will need to rredo Rhodes deal. Then someone gets hurt and everyone will be complaining that we have no cap room to sign their replacement.

I agree that the whole cap should be spent and I hate that certain owners don't. But the Jets have always had a policy of not giving raises on contract with more than a year remaining. This is nothing new. This is the reason Keyshawn was traded and I agree with the policy. If the Jets reneg these two, then they will need to rredo Rhodes deal. Then someone gets hurt and everyone will be complaining that we have no cap room to sign their replacement.

The general premise is okay. In practice players will ask for more money if they see they are underpaid (like 90% of starting NFL guards these days) and there is a ton of cap space. It doesn't hurt much cap space much to agree to tack some money on this year's deal. I think that can be done until some time in late Nov or Dec. I'd throw some extra Rhodes way too IF we don't sign anybody new.

i couldn't disagree with you more. my guess is that the jets will ultimately pay moore a little more, but he is sol right now. if he doesn't want to play the jets can fine him 14k/day and he can get a real job like the rest of us. mangini/tannenbaum are building a franchise from the ground up and they need to establish consisten policies and procedures. you play with the contract that you have or you don't get paid, period. the pats have had similar situations and aside from giving seymour a little bump in pay have basically stood firm in dealing with players. this is another reason that mangini preaches position flexibility - if kendall doesn't want to play they will have someone else ready to take the spot, i.e. clarke/jones.

We also have a GUY WHO IS HAVING A VERY SOLID CAMP AT rog: ROBERT TURNER IMO

He's definitely been in the mix. There were two 75s in camp: Turner on OL and some guy named Fitch on the DL. I have notice Turner a few times. he's been pretty active and soaking up the instruction.

Wade Smith has had an active camp, too. I'm not saying we dont need or want Moore, as he is getting the bulk of the reps at right OG.

Just that there are other guys if he doesnt STFU and get his head into playing OG without complaining in the press.

He's definitely been in the mix. There were two 75s in camp: Turner on OL and some guy named Fitch on the DL. I have notice Turner a few times. he's been pretty active and soaking up the instruction.

Wade Smith has had an active camp, too. I'm not saying we dont need or want Moore, as he is getting the bulk of the reps at right OG.

Just that there are other guys if he doesnt STFU and get his head into playing OG without complaining in the press.

Like I said, I don't know anything about Turner, but Fitch on the D line is probably Zarnell Fitch. He's a super wide-body DT that went undrafted last year. Jets signed him late-maybe December. He was some type of assistant (strength?video?) at TCU which is where he ended up. Jets allocated him to NFLE and he apparently had a solid season although he didn't do much in the games I saw. He was from a JuCo and had been considered a good NT prospect when he was at Tenn where he transferred by never played. Interesting thing about him was that he had two ints for the Horny Frogs which has to be unusual for a DT. Interesting player who likely won't make it-maybe practice squad.

Like I said, I don't know anything about Turner, but Fitch on the D line is probably Zarnell Fitch. He's a super wide-body DT that went undrafted last year. Jets signed him late-maybe December. He was some type of assistant (strength?video?) at TCU which is where he ended up. Jets allocated him to NFLE and he apparently had a solid season although he didn't do much in the games I saw. He was from a JuCo and had been considered a good NT prospect when he was at Tenn where he transferred by never played. Interesting thing about him was that he had two ints for the Horny Frogs which has to be unusual for a DT. Interesting player who likely won't make it-maybe practice squad.

Good info on Fitch.

I suspect that after the first round of cuts, there will be very little deadwood and fodder around camp. It might get really competitive at some positions to make the final cut.

What the F!! The jets have cap space and they are nickel and diming everything while causing turmoil within the team. Everyone gets the point, they are trying to hold a hard line but christ these guys aren't looking to break the bank. Watch these guys walk out of camp in the 3rd week. Not looking good boys

What the F!! The jets have cap space and they are nickel and diming everything while causing turmoil within the team. Everyone gets the point, they are trying to hold a hard line but christ these guys aren't looking to break the bank. Watch these guys walk out of camp in the 3rd week. Not looking good boys

I'm guessing everybody is trusting Tangini's judgement, like I am. let's see how this play's out. although I am concerned about Revis.

I'm guessing everybody is trusting Tangini's judgement, like I am. let's see how this play's out. although I am concerned about Revis.

I agree, that Tangini is doing the right thing here. I'm not concerned at all about Revis. Revis and his agent will cave. Revis is a 21 year old Junior who stands to lose more going into next years draft than by singing a 6 year deal. Most teams are now signing underclassmen to 6 year deals now so this isn't that unusual.

Please tell us why the Jets should give in to a JERK who is hell bent on poisoning the team? He is violating the GAG order by crying in the media! Moore stunk last year! Why should he get more money? TEAM UNITY means more then Kendall getting his way!

I agree, that Tangini is doing the right thing here. I'm not concerned at all about Revis. Revis and his agent will cave. Revis is a 21 year old Junior who stands to lose more going into next years draft than by singing a 6 year deal. Most teams are now signing underclassmen to 6 year deals now so this isn't that unusual.

It won't effect Revis as long as he has 1 or 2 preseason games under his belt, and I think Tangini know's this also. they are obviously setting a precedent for the team with this statement. which I like, a lot.

Please tell us why the Jets should give in to a JERK who is hell bent on poisoning the team? He is violating the GAG order by crying in the media! Moore stunk last year! Why should he get more money? TEAM UNITY means more then Kendall getting his way!

Exactly, KJ! I couldn't agree more. it's the Jets way, or the highway. and I love it!

Great post. I agree 100%

Bill Parcells and RSJ. I find it inconcievable that any Jets fan would sacrifice the unity of the team for a JERK like Kendall and his apparent protege'. We can replace both! We did it last year and went to the playoffs with a rookie center and LT. We can sign a FREE AGENT if we have to. Why be held hostage by these hypocrites? They sign a contract and IF they play weel they want to renegotiate! If they play poorly ( as in Moore's case) do they ever give money back? And Kendall was not too good last year either! Look at a tape of NE's playoff game with us. Kendall was DOMINATED!

Moore was shaky last year. Had this dispute not arisen, we could have been looking at kendall and clark as the starting guards. But it doesnt look like its gonna work out that way now.

Bill Parcells and RSJ. I find it inconcievable that any Jets fan would sacrifice the unity of the team for a JERK like Kendall and his apparent protege'. We can replace both! We did it last year and went to the playoffs with a rookie center and LT. We can sign a FREE AGENT if we have to. Why be held hostage by these hypocrites? They sign a contract and IF they play weel they want to renegotiate! If they play poorly ( as in Moore's case) do they ever give money back? And Kendall was not too good last year either! Look at a tape of NE's playoff game with us. Kendall was DOMINATED!

Hey, remember 1999? Ryan Young and Randy Thomas? :cool0043:

Who thought those 2 rookies would do anything? and they kicked ass!

Team first, ego's second. (ejection!) ;)

Not to all. Stop over-reacting. Moore is not coming out and blasting the Jets' organization like Petey boy is. Moore is satisfied with talking to the Jets after they resolve the issue with Petey boy. All be okay, deep breaths now people.

Oh, but wait a second. Wasn't I only one of, what, four or five Brandon Moore supporters and now you all worry because he wants a few extra million? I thought nobody could do worse than him in 2006. I thought he should be replaced JetNation, no? Funny.

Not to all. Stop over-reacting. Moore is not coming out and blasting the Jets' organization like Petey boy is. Moore is satisfied with talking to the Jets after they resolve the issue with Petey boy. All be okay, deep breaths now people.

Oh, but wait a second. Wasn't I only one of, what, four or five Brandon Moore supporters and now you all worry because he wants a few extra million? I thought nobody could do worse than him in 2006. I thought he should be replaced JetNation, no? Funny.

so skipping practice to protest is OK? IMO the guy has not been that good at all for us. Moore is off-sides much too much! I do not see anyone panicking here. IMO we can survive well w/o both Moore and Kendall! I think Clarke will be fine and AJ or Wade Smith can fill the ROG spot. I mean its not like Moore is an all-pro! He is merely OK! Kendall is not an all-pro and never was, even in his prime! But I do not think MOORE will go anywhere. Who would want him for a big salary? Compare Moore to JUSTIN SMILEY. Smiley is much better but can not get the big bucks he desires! Why should Moore? What has he done to justify a renegotation? TALK is cheap! Let him produce on the field on a higher level then he has been. Then renegotiate! IMO KENDALL must go!

Archived