Jeter vs. Reyes

LionelRichie

since jeter seems to be such a hot topic i figured i would throw this out there. if you were a GM who would you rather have TODAY? not who is better - take into account salary, age, offense, defense, leadership - whatever.

Personally, I go with Reyes, but I would be a cost concious GM and would only pay superstar money to superstars. Jeter is not a McGuire, Bonds, or Pujols type player that you watch to see what he is going to next. Reyes is only 21, no where near his potential and around 300K / year.

AB R HR RBI BB SO SB AVG OPS

jeter 207 36 5 21 26 39 8 .295 .806

reyes 227 29 3 21 8 34 14 .278 .728

If cost is a factor, then no way can you justify putting Jeter on your team. No way.

It's a deal if you pulled the names off of their jerseys and made them work out for you, you'd take Reyes in a split second. Although Jeter's plate discipline is 8 billion times better than Reyes's, Reyes is faster, the far better defensive player, and has more juice in his bat. IMO, it's like comparing Ozzie Smith to Cal Ripken Jr. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. (btw, reyes is infinitely better at the plate than Smith).

If cost is a factor, then no way can you justify putting Jeter on your team. No way.

It's a deal if you pulled the names off of their jerseys and made them work out for you, you'd take Reyes in a split second. Although Jeter's plate discipline is 8 billion times better than Reyes's, Reyes is faster, the far better defensive player, and has more juice in his bat. IMO, it's like comparing Ozzie Smith to Cal Ripken Jr. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. (btw, reyes is infinitely better at the plate than Smith).

agreed, jeter makes about 16x more than reyes. you could have 16 reyes or 1 jeter for the same amount of money - amazing.

Please note the incredible amount of sarcasm in this post. :D

Reyes better fielder than Jeter. Not in this lifetime.

Reyes is a lot like Soriano without the power(so far, but as with Jeter, 20+ HRs seems pretty within his reach)-incredible talent and speed, more than a little hot dog, and zero plate discipline-which can be learned. Heck, in 1995-96 Jeter didn't know form OBP, and now he's among the leaders every year. If you're a Met fan, you want to see the Ks go down and the BBs go up, and hustle 24/7.

In terms of watching a player on the field I'd take Reyes any day of the week. Seeing this guy round the bases is like magic, his feet seem to barely touch the ground.

He needs to mature as a hitter and improve his descion making in the field before the Mets can look to venture into the post-season. I say use Matsui sparingly and let Reyes develop a solid relationhip with the veteran in Cairo.

His base stealing ability will only improve as he learns pitchers and their wind ups and continues to progress on getting better jumps.

Willie should be able to work magic with him, and before you know it he will be dominating in the field and at the bat.

There are two things that you cannot teach, 1) Clutch performance which Jeter has, and 2) Blazing speed/ boundless energy, which Reyes has.

Reyes reminds me of Tejada on the field, in terms of enthusiasm and all out energy, he is like a little fireball out there, as soon as he develops and harnesses his over aggressive mentality he will be an all star.

Since we are talking about things that will never happen who would you rather have on your team:

Babe Ruth or Nolan Ryan.

I am going with Nolan. He is in his 50's but I think he would contribute more at this point then Babe would. Babe being dead and all.

Since we are talking about things that will never happen who would you rather have on your team:

Babe Ruth or Nolan Ryan.

I am going with Nolan. He is in his 50's but I think he would contribute more at this point then Babe would. Babe being dead and all.

Up until last year, I would go with Babe. The Yankees got a lot of mileage out of The Curse. Even though he's dead, he still had something to offer.

The answer tp Jeter-vs-Reyes depends...

are we trying to win baseball games and build a competitive team? (Reyes)

or are we trying to sell posters and Wheatie boxes to pimply-faced teeny-boppers? (Capt. Overrated)

Bosox

Do you put that much passion behind your Jets posts as well? If so, can't wait until football season.

As for Jeter/Reyes, let's see what Reyes does for the next 2 years. He still needs to show me consistancy. The tools are there, however.

Reyes is doing great right now a SS...which is where he should have been from the beginning. I dont know why the hell they let the over hype of Matsui change his position in their eyes. But he could use more control at the plate and more baseball experience in general. Im a die hard Met fan, but realistically you have to say Jeter. And I attribute that to his leadership that he's already shown, and some of his play thus far. He isn't a phenom either...but based on experience Jeter. Reyes will take over if he doesn't get his act together though.

Until Reyes actually has a great or even good season.......for the entire season, it's not even comparable, any GM would take Jeter over Reyes, right now.

barton - i actually think EVERY GM other than NYY, NYM, Bos, CHW, LAA, LAD would take Reyes and his 300K salary over Jeter with his 19M dollar salary.

you do understand that Jeter makes 60 times as much money as reyes. that is not a typo - 60 times as much as reyes. for similar production you are telling me that you would pay 60x as much money.

barton - i actually think EVERY GM other than NYY, NYM, Bos, CHW, LAA, LAD would take Reyes and his 300K salary over Jeter with his 19M dollar salary.

you do understand that Jeter makes 60 times as much money as reyes. that is not a typo - 60 times as much as reyes. for similar production you are telling me that you would pay 60x as much money.

Factoring in money, yes most GMs would Reyes over Jeter. But thats not what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

If I have George's money I take Jeter.

If I'm the Pirates I take Reyes and then when he is up for free agency in a few years I trade him for prospects.

If the playing fields are even and you negotiate the players contract I talk to Jeter first. Basically it would depend on the what the salary cap is and even if I could not afford Jeter there are probably 10 SS I would talk to before getting to Reyes.

4 rings vs 0 rings

Face of Baseball vs not even the face of his team

Captain of the Yankees vs 3rd / 4th best player on the Mets

Jeter = less errors

Need I go on?

What has the Capt one since being so honored?

In all seriousness, do you honestly believe as you posted in TS thread that Jeter is better than Arod, Sheff, Mo or Beltran?

What has the Capt one since being so honored?

In all seriousness, do you honestly believe as you posted in TS thread that Jeter is better than Arod, Sheff, Mo or Beltran?

Yes.

The Face of Baseball.

Yes.

The Face of Baseball.

If Derek Jeter is the "face of baseball", that explains why so many youngin's are turning away from the game. Jeter looks like a friggin chimpanzee.

Besides, does being baseball's posterboy win games? At the moment, nope.

If Derek Jeter is the "face of baseball", that explains why so many youngin's are turning away from the game. Jeter looks like a friggin chimpanzee.

Besides, does being baseball's posterboy win games? At the moment, nope.

Your posts just reek of jealousy and stupidity.

Not that it matters, but the last thing Jeter looks like is a chimp. More like an owl. :lol:

Absolutely Jeter. Sure I'm a Yankees fan but I have a hard time seeing how you couldn't. Jeter has all kinds of playoff experience, is proven in the clutch, and has also proven to be very durable. Reyes doesn't seem to have as much power, or be as good a fielder (I suppose you can believe the crap about Jeter not being a good fielder, or you could not be an idiot) Jeter is still fairly young and about 100x more proven than Reyes.

Assuming we're not talking about money (and there's a reason Jeter gets paid way more than Reyes), any GM would take Jeter in a heartbeat. The most games Reyes has played in a season is 69!! He has to prove himself over more than 3 months of baseball at a time . Reyes Fielding % is only .967 this year, and .969 in his career. Jeter has a .974 FP in his career, and .977 this year. (Not to mention he's played literally over 1200 more games at SS in his career) To say Reyes is a better fielder than Jeter doesn't even fall into the realm of reason. If a team wants a player who has proven himself over a full season and in the playoffs, they would take Jeter. If they want a player who has proven himself in neither, who's never played more than 70 games in a season in his career and not a single one in the playoffs and has shown to be very inconsistent in the field, they would take Reyes.

CBS sportsline has a pretty interesting splits on Jeter where if you look at his late inning pressure stats over the last three years they are shockingly mediocre for a guy considered clutch.

Oh really? Why, that makes no sense! Derek Jeter "just wins" and is "the face of baseball". What gives here???

Archived