Johnson, Chiefs agree to 5 year extension

AVM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2984649

Larry Johnson ended his 25-day holdout Tuesday morning by finalizing a five-year extension that will keep him with the Chiefs through 2012.

Financial terms of the deal weren't available, but ESPN.com's Michael Smith reported that the contract is worth $45 million, with $19 million is guaranteed. Of the guaranteed money, $12 million is the signing bonus and $7 million is guaranteed salary.

Both sides were working on the deal Monday night. The final holdup was the payout over the first three years of the contract. Once that was resolved, Johnson decided to report and accept the Chiefs' proposal.

Johnson reported to the practice field late Tuesday morning, put on his helmet and was ready for duty.

It was a tough situation for the Chiefs and Johnson. He turns 28 years old this fall. Because of that, Johnson didn't want to play out the final year of his current deal and be in a position in which the Chiefs could make him their franchise player in 2008. Had that happened, it would have been hard for Johnson to get a big-money contract, since running backs nearing the age of 30 tend to not get big deals.

For weeks, both sides had been chipping away and getting closer, but it was not close enough for Johnson to get the deal done in time to report to River Falls, Wis., where the Chiefs conducted their training camp. Camp broke last week and the team returned to Kansas City.

By reporting and getting his new contract, Johnson has two possible games to polish his timing for the start of the regular season. He had an NFL-record 416 carries last season, and even though the team is expected to lighten the load this year, Johnson is considered the workhorse of the offense.

5 years, $45 million with $19 million guarenteed? Nice. He's getting paid $9 million a year (which I think may be more than LT?), but is getting less guarenteed money. The deal works out for both Kansas City and LJ. Now he just has to hope to stay healthy while Herm runs him into the ground. Congrats LJ, as of today you're at least $12 million richer. You could retire at the end of the season if you wanted too and live the rest of your life with plenty of options and sitting on the couch.

5 years, $45 million with $19 million guarenteed? Nice. He's getting paid $9 million a year (which I think may be more than LT?), but is getting less guarenteed money. The deal works out for both Kansas City and LJ. Now he just has to hope to stay healthy while Herm runs him into the ground. Congrats LJ, as of today you're at least $12 million richer. You could retire at the end of the season if you wanted too and live the rest of your life with plenty of options and sitting on the couch.

Good for him, he got out of a terrible deal that kc suckered him into, and will earn that money by the looks of things at KC camp (thank you hbo)! That boy is going to be run into and through the ground. Heck, he may end up in china by the time the season ends.

And up for grabs.

i hope we don't take him. i think we have had enough broken running backs.

Good for him.

His career is over in two years. i bet he gets 1200 yards this year, 12 TD's, YPC should be right around 3 to 3.5.

i hope we don't take him. i think we have had enough broken running backs.

His career is over in two years. i bet he gets 1200 yards this year, 12 TD's, YPC should be right around 3 to 3.5.

And his doesn't have the same OL as last year.

And his doesn't have the same OL as last year.

i know, hense the 3 to 3.5. Should be pretty interesting how this works out for him.

he has a bad adittude, just got his payday, no offensive line, no QB, and RB killer for a coach. yikes.

It's good to see knowledgable fans, pretty much everyone on the board is siding with LJ as they should, with that idiot Herm in charge LJ is literally putting his body on the line and cutting his playing career and probably active life short. I can not begrudge the man getting paid for that. It's a lot of money but I don't think I'd want to carry the rock 420 times like 3 years in a row, which is what's going to happen to LJ.

It's good to see knowledgable fans, pretty much everyone on the board is siding with LJ as they should, with that idiot Herm in charge LJ is literally putting his body on the line and cutting his playing career and probably active life short. I can not begrudge the man getting paid for that. It's a lot of money but I don't think I'd want to carry the rock 420 times like 3 years in a row, which is what's going to happen to LJ.

LJ's a NY boy ain't he? I was hearing him talk on Hard Knocks well, we who are FROM there aren't fooled for long by charlatans the likes of Herm Edwards

500 carries, or a ruptured ACL. But he's a "warrior". At that level of abuse he's going to get by Coach Jerk Chicken, he deserves the cash; he'll be done before the contract is.

snow balls chance in hell that he lives out that contract. There is literally no way he will see year 5 of that deal.

Archived