The Jets Dropped The Ball

Maxman

By Tyson Rauch

http://www.jetnation.com/?p=1096

Posted at 4:58 pm in Tyson Rauch, Featured Editorials by Administrator

4h.jpgBy Tyson Rauch

It was a great day for football. A sunny Sunday afternoon with the parking lot full of festive fans. The Jets were facing their division rival Miami Dolphins in a must win game for both teams. It was the perfect day to have a halftime ceremony for fan favorite Wayne Chrebet.

Wayne was an undrafted free agent out of Hofstra, who went on to have a very successful career with Gang Green. Wayne molded his legacy on toughness, hard work, determination and his pure refusal to give up in any situation. In addition he was a local kid who never forgot his roots and always gave back to the community. This was sure to be a ceremony to remember as well as one big love fest between the fans and Mr. Chrebet.

For the first time in as long as I can remember the stadium was 90% full for a half time event. The chants began and the excitement built. The beginning of the ceremony actually started the end of the second quarter with video tributes from some former teammates as well as some current ones. The official ceremony began with Wayne walking down with his son to a thunderous applause.

From there it was all down hill from the Jets perspective. Wayne

Nice job Tyson. I thought the Jet cheaped out on the gifts too, with the picture, friggin picture!! of a flyover. The only thing that I disagree with was the Jets chant. I6t was good idea, but I thought it fell flat on it's face. The girl in the pink shirt leading the chant wasn't bad to look at, but as usual when a girl is on the screen, some dewbag has to jump in front of her and block the view with his ugly mug.

By Tyson Rauch

4h.jpgBy Tyson Rauch

It was a great day for football. A sunny Sunday afternoon with the parking lot full of festive fans. The Jets were facing their division rival Miami Dolphins in a must win game for both teams. It was the perfect day to have a halftime ceremony for fan favorite Wayne Chrebet.

Wayne was an undrafted free agent out of Hofstra, who went on to have a very successful career with Gang Green. Wayne molded his legacy on toughness, hard work, determination and his pure refusal to give up in any situation. In addition he was a local kid who never forgot his roots and always gave back to the community. This was sure to be a ceremony to remember as well as one big love fest between the fans and Mr. Chrebet.

For the first time in as long as I can remember the stadium was 90% full for a half time event. The chants began and the excitement built. The beginning of the ceremony actually started the end of the second quarter with video tributes from some former teammates as well as some current ones. The official ceremony began with Wayne walking down with his son to a thunderous applause.

By Tyson Rauch

4h.jpgBy Tyson Rauch

250 in vcash to anyone who can translate that post for me.

Hey when your boss is right behind you it is tough to make proper posts at jetnation. Why attack Wayne for getting gifts is the point- we should honor someone that came from a small school against all the odds.

When I was sitting in the stadium I had a different feeling. I really believed that the Jets finally got one right. Granted they probably could have leaned on Toyota and thrown a Tundra on the field to have him drive off in. But I am not going to lose sleep over what gifts they gave him.

More important is that they recognized a great player in their organization. For far too long the Jets have had no connection to their own past. Here is a guy that gave everything he had. He worried about team first, his own health second. And the Jets realized this and brought him out to get the reception that he deserved.

I was proud of all the Jets fans that cheered for Wayne. They stayed at haltime to give him the credit he deserved. It is a what have you done for me lately town and towards the end of Wayne's career we all seem to have forgotten what Wayne did for this franchise and what he meant to this team.

He joined them when they were at their lowest, the Kotite Years. As fans we had nothing to root for, we had no hope. Except Wayne. He represented everything that was good about sports. You had Keyshawn trying to become PrimeTime Sanders. He talked smacked the entire time he was here. Blasting his own teammates.

What did Wayne do? He just played football. He always put the team first. As a fan you couldn't ask for more from a player. I am sure his teammates and coaches felt the same way.

So I am not going to worry about what gifts he got. Instead I will just thank the Jets for putting that day together. And honoring the toughest football player that I ever watched.

They should have retired his number, plain and simple. Curtis and Wayne should've both had their numbers retired at their halftime ceremonies this season, I can only hope now that Curtis will get that this year.

if Chrebet gets his number retired, why not Toon?

Curtis never got it done when we needed him to, such as the Denver AFC champ game

these guys are good but not jersey retirement worthy

They should have retired his number, plain and simple. Curtis and Wayne should've both had their numbers retired at their halftime ceremonies this season, I can only hope now that Curtis will get that this year.

Agreed. I dont care that Wayne doesn't have the HOF stats as some might, but he was the heart of and soul of the Jets for a long, long time. Retire #80!

Curtis never got it done when we needed him to, such as the Denver AFC champ game

Curtis will have his # retired. He is a hall of famer. Unless he buys another team and they want to distance themselves from him, it is a no brainer.

A few thoughts...firstly, very nice article. I enjoyed reading it....my thoughts on the ceremony....

Firstly, why did it need to be sponsored?? I found that to be tacky and take away from the moment a bit. Secondly, I agree that the gifts seemed cheap. Of course, I wouldnt mind getting a free rolex, but when they started with the flyby thing, I looked to the sky anticipating to see an F-16, no such luck. Thirdly, Wayne came up to the press-box for a few moments after the ceremony and talked to the media. I listened to him talk about the struggles he deals with everyday with this post-concussion syndrom, and it's terrible. Where this organization dropped the ball- just like every other team has and continues to- was by allowing him back on the field. Football is a brutal game, played by stubborn men. Teams needs to embrace their responsibility as an intermediary and prevent this sort of thing in the future....

A few thoughts...firstly, very nice article. I enjoyed reading it....my thoughts on the ceremony....

Firstly, why did it need to be sponsored?? I found that to be tacky and take away from the moment a bit. Secondly, I agree that the gifts seemed cheap. Of course, I wouldnt mind getting a free rolex, but when they started with the flyby thing, I looked to the sky anticipating to see an F-16, no such luck. Thirdly, Wayne came up to the press-box for a few moments after the ceremony and talked to the media. I listened to him talk about the struggles he deals with everyday with this post-concussion syndrom, and it's terrible. Where this organization dropped the ball- just like every other team has and continues to- was by allowing him back on the field. Football is a brutal game, played by stubborn men. Teams needs to embrace their responsibility as an intermediary and prevent this sort of thing in the future....

That is pretty interesting. What kind of struggles? I didn't realize there were still issues. Headaches? I know Al Toon had problems for a long time, I am not sure if it is still an issue.

It was consistent with how Wayne played though. Like I said to my son at the ceremony, Wayne would give everything he had for this team. He had no fear.

Agreed it would be nice if the NFL cared more about the long term ramifications of these actions that happen every day.

That is pretty interesting. What kind of struggles? I didn't realize there were still issues. Headaches?

There were articles last week leading up to the ceremony, that detailed the problems he's having. Days when it doesnt even make sense for him to get out of bed.

And like another poster said, "highways look like mazes and puzzles" to him, so i also am not surprised they didnt give him a car. From the sound of it, he probably isnt even doing any driving.

Curtis didn't get it done against Denver, you're right. Neither did anyone else on that Football team so don't spare me that crap. Don Maynard was nothing more than a decoy in Super Bowl III, I guess he didn't get it done.:character42:

Curtis is the all-time leading rusher for this franchise, had huge games and seasons and I'm sorry, but in the playoffs when Herm Edwards is leading the way and you know its going to 28 on 1st and 2nd down, its easy to call "Hey defense, put 8 or 9 in the box".

You have to have a passing game to be able to run, something Chad couldn't do for Curtis in Pittsburgh of '04, either.

There were articles last week leading up to the ceremony, that detailed the problems he's having. Days when it doesnt even make sense for him to get out of bed.

And like another poster said, "highways look like mazes and puzzles" to him, so i also am not surprised they didnt give him a car. From the sound of it, he probably isnt even doing any driving.

That is sad. I remember Harry Carson speaking out years ago about all the problems he was having as well.

Wayne is dealing with a ton of problems some that are more documented than others...he should definitely be a member of the retired player board sticking up for the players.....pretty friggin sad.... I love when people go back to the Denver game for Curtis..what kind of game did he have against Jacksonville?

Wayne is dealing with a ton of problems some that are more documented than others...he should definitely be a member of the retired player board sticking up for the players.....pretty friggin sad.... I love when people go back to the Denver game for Curtis..what kind of game did he have against Jacksonville?

That's weak. Jacksonville had no rush defense in '98. Curtis friggin' Enis got 77 yards on a dozen carries against them in his first NFL game.

Curtis didn't get it done against Denver, you're right. Neither did anyone else on that Football team so don't spare me that crap. Don Maynard was nothing more than a decoy in Super Bowl III, I guess he didn't get it done.:character42:

don maynard and joe willie have rings. klecko was all-pro at three positions. Curtis is on the cusp of that level, a very great player, but i don't know if he's worthy of jersey retirement. remember he had alot of production in a patriots uniform before he got here. if he won a ring i think that would be the difference, but he didn't so moving on.

don maynard and joe willie have rings. klecko was all-pro at three positions. Curtis is on the cusp of that level, a very great player, but i don't know if he's worthy of jersey retirement. remember he had alot of production in a patriots uniform before he got here. if he won a ring i think that would be the difference, but he didn't so moving on.

Your agendas are old man. Real old.

Archived