Baseball HOF Nominees

JetCane

Why don't you vote for Keith Olberman's mother too. she made him lose his mind.

LOL I remember that, hilarious. Then they moved him to LF, he had a few OF assists early on and then poof he was gone (to the royals, I think). I remember seeing him in the stands at a yankees game a few years ago, he got pretty fat.

Get Rice and Goose in already.

Beyond that, Jack Morris and Trammell deserve some consideration, but fall short. I think Dawson, Baines and Raines(who I loved as a player even before he got to the Yankees) fall short.

McGwire is going to be very interesting.

If Joe Morgan drums up enough support of Concepcion, it's a disgrace. Tony Perez doesn't belong either. Since Tony Perez is in due to politics, Mattingly, Raines, Trammell, Baines and Dawson should get in. Perez wasn't as good as any of them, and that Perez got in before Rice is a joke. Nobody was ever scared to face Perez, but of George Foster or Bench or Griffey Sr. behind him. Pitchers were scared of Rice and with good reason.

The steroid class is officially in session. Brady Anderson. That was cool when he hit 50 home runs all of a sudden. Also cool how they were selling those posters of him in Boston wearing no shirt and all roided out.

Ah, good times.

The most talented player on this list is Raines. But between holdouts, drugs and injuries and illness, his resume just isn't there. And the shame is that after he got over his problems, he's a good guy.

Raines is one of the guys that brought speed back into the game. He was an exciting plyer with the Expos.

Didn't he break his coke vial once, while liding into second base with it in his back pocket?

Gotta love the mid 80's. You really have to wonder what guys like Strawberry and Gooden would have done with their careers without getting mixed up in the drugs. How Jay Horowitz has wanted to stay on his job so long, I will never know.

Future eligible players:

• 2009: Steve Avery, Jay Bell, John Burkett, David Cone, Mike Bordick, Ron Gant, Mark Grace, Rickey Henderson, Denny Neagle, Dean Palmer, Dan Plesac, Greg Vaughn, Mo Vaughn, Matt Williams, Mike Williams
  • 2010: Roberto Alomar, Kevin Appier, Ellis Burks, Andres Galarraga, Pat Hentgen, Mike Jackson, Eric Karros, Barry Larkin, Edgar Martinez, Fred McGriff, Shane Reynolds, Robin Ventura, Todd Zeile
  • 2011: Wilson Alvarez, Carlos Baerga, Jeff Bagwell, Bret Boone, Kevin Brown, John Franco, Juan Gonzalez, Marquis Grissom, Mike Hampton, Al Leiter, Tino Martinez, Raul Mondesi, Hideo Nomo, John Olerud, Rafael Palmeiro, Benito Santiago, Ugueth Urbina, Larry Walker
  • 2012: Bill Mueller, Tim Salmon, Tim Worrell

You know who I don't get, is Dale Murphy.

I just don't see him as HOF caliber. When did this guy ever elevate a team? What did he bring to the table than consistently decent power numbers, and what else?

When you talk about compilers, this was the ultimate compiler. To me, he was Kevin McReynolds with a longer career. Bleh.

From what I understand, and saw a little of, he was a heck of a good guy and leads an exemplary life. But that is not what the Hall is about.

Future eligible players:

• 2009: Steve Avery, Jay Bell, John Burkett, David Cone, Mike Bordick, Ron Gant, Mark Grace, Rickey Henderson, Denny Neagle, Dean Palmer, Dan Plesac, Greg Vaughn, Mo Vaughn, Matt Williams, Mike Williams
  • 2010: Roberto Alomar, Kevin Appier, Ellis Burks, Andres Galarraga, Pat Hentgen, Mike Jackson, Eric Karros, Barry Larkin, Edgar Martinez, Fred McGriff, Shane Reynolds, Robin Ventura, Todd Zeile
  • 2011: Wilson Alvarez, Carlos Baerga, Jeff Bagwell, Bret Boone, Kevin Brown, John Franco, Juan Gonzalez, Marquis Grissom, Mike Hampton, Al Leiter, Tino Martinez, Raul Mondesi, Hideo Nomo, John Olerud, Rafael Palmeiro, Benito Santiago, Ugueth Urbina, Larry Walker

Henderson, Bagwell, Edgar Martinez and that's it. Cone, Larkin and Mcgriff fall short, and Juan Gonzalez and Palmiero werea drug users. Santiago simply played for ever.

Future eligible players:

Henderson, Bagwell, Edgar Martinez and that's it. Cone, Larkin and Mcgriff fall short, and Juan Gonzalez and Palmiero werea drug users. Santiago simply played for ever.

I'd give Larkin consideration. It will be interesting to see how they treat the Denver induced Larry Walker also

Raines is one of the guys that brought speed back into the game. He was an exciting plyer with the Expos.

Didn't he break his coke vial once, while liding into second base with it in his back pocket?

Gotta love the mid 80's. You really have to wonder what guys like Strawberry and Gooden would have done with their careers without getting mixed up in the drugs. How Jay Horowitz has wanted to stay on his job so long, I will never know.

I remember one thing about Raines. He was still with Montreal. He was a holdout, who eventually signed with the Expos, but was unable to play until early May. Can't recall all the facts of the case, but he might have refused arbitration, or something.

Anyway, his first game back, he gets a few hits, steals a base, drives in the winning runs, etc. The Mets Manager at the time (Dave Johnson???) was quoted in the papers the next day as stating that either Raines is a fantastic player, or Spring training is vastly over-rated. I loved it.

Rice, Goose, and Dawson. All should have been in the HOF years ago. No one else from the current crop, including McGuire.

I am against those where the evidence "strongly suggests" they used steroids, or HGH. This excludes McGuire from ever being in the HOF, IMO. Same deal with Bonds, Palmeiro, etc.

I remember one thing about Raines. He was still with Montreal. He was a holdout, who eventually signed with the Expos, but was unable to play until early May. Can't recall all the facts of the case, but he might have refused arbitration, or something.

Anyway, his first game back, he gets a few hits, steals a base, drives in the winning runs, etc. The Mets Manager at the time (Dave Johnson???) was quoted in the papers the next day as stating that either Raines is a fantastic player, or Spring training is vastly over-rated. I loved it.

Very good.

Tim Raines was a free agent, coming off a year when he hit over .300 and stole about 65 bases AND DID NOT RECEIVE A SINGLE OFFER.

The owners colluded, and were found guilty later.

Under the rules, if a FA is not signed, he can not play for his original club until something like May 15.

I remember that game you speak of and he tore the Mets up. Off David Cone I believe.

Archived