The Ultimate Mock Offseason

TenThousandSpoons

Hello guys... Longtime Jets fan..

I would first like to say that the NFL needs to change its draft placement method. Why are teams punished for playing tougher competition? Apparently there is a three way tie for the #3 pick in the draft, and will be decided by a coin flip. Why can't the NFL flip a coin for ALL teams with identical records to decide draft position?

Either way this is Tangini's most important offseason, and with over 27 million in cap space they need to be both active and creative...

Notable Cuts

DeWayne Robertson- Its finally time to cut ties with this guy. I am sick of watching him get blown off the line. He couldn't handle an NFL double team as a rookie, and he still can't as a five year vet.

Justin McCareins- Just another case of "Looks like Tarzan, Plays like Jane". J-Mac has size and speed, but his hands and body control just aren't adequete.

Eric Barton- Did you see that missed tackle on Kolby Smith earlier in the game? This guy has been terrible this year, and he's not getting any younger.

Shaun Ellis- His time on the Jets has come to end IMO. He has been invisible ever since he signed that big extension.

David Barrett- (Round of Applause) David Barrett is the first New York Jet to make my "notable cuts" list three years in a row... Is this the year they finally rid Jets fans of this awful player?

Brad Kassell/Matt Chatham- I know these were some Mangini guys that were brought in... If either are making any sort of money they need to go..

Andre Dyson- They were close to cutting him last year, I don't think he did anything this year to save his job.

Re-Sign

David Bowens- I really thought this guy did a good job when he got the oppurtunity

Hank Poteat- Good depth at CB

Victor Hobson- Think he could be a good ILB.. Shouldn't be too expensive..

Trades

Lav Coles to Jacksonville for first round pick

Analysis: This would be good value for LC. I hear the Jags will go hard after him. They are only a few players away so this would shock me

Chad Pennington to Kansas City for 4th round pick

Analysis: We got a 4th for Herm.. I expect similar return for Chad

Jon Vilma to Denver for a 2nd round pick

Analysis- Vilma's value isn't as high as it was last year, but Denver is a team that is known for taking chances, and this would allow them to move DJ Williams back to OLB.

Free Agency

Rob Ryan-Would be a nice get to coach the defense

Jake Scott OG- He has started at RG for Indy for the last four years. He is younger(26) and cheaper than Faneca.

Ryan Lilja OG- He has started at LG for the Colts for the past two years. Two guys that can start at guard for 3-5 years is smart money

Tommy Kelly- 3-4 DE to replace Shaun Ellis, has expierence with Rob Ryan

Stacy Andrews- Big OT that the Jets were intrested in last offseason

Randall Gay- New England CB that the Jets were interested in last offseason

Quinn Gray- Had a fantastic game today!! He also has some upside

Bernard Berrian- This is the big fish that the Jets will need to go hard at in Free Agency. The Jets will have plenty of cap room to make all these signings so money shouldn't be an issue if Woody is willing to spend it. Berrian is the deep play threat that this team has lacked for so long. I would rather have him on the team than Coles.

Draft

Round 1(pick 6)-

Vernon Gholston OLB-I think the Jets should take a QB(Although its a bad omen to take a QB at pick 6) with this pick, but we all know that won't happen... From the scouting report Gholston sounds like another Shawn Merriman. The Jets need a player like to disrupt the QB. I wouldn't mind his teammate James Lauranitus in this spot either.. I'm in the minority that prefers Gholston/Laurantius over McFadden.

Trade Jax and Denver pick to whatever team has 15th pick in draft

Round 1(pick 15)

DeSean Jackson WR- I have a man crush on this guy, and really think the Jets need to make a move for him. He has Ted Ginn speed, but a much better reciever. He is pretty much a Santana Moss clone, and a PERFECT fit in this offense.. I know many will kill me for trading Lav Coles and Jon Vilma for DeSean Jackson, but I think this guy is the real deal.

Round 2(pick 3)

Frank Okam DT-He is projected to go around this time, and if he's not there the Jets can always parlay this pick for more picks..

Round 3

J Leman ILB- High character High motor guy that Mangini likes.. Will be a better 3-4 ILB than a 4-3 MLB in the pros bc of his speed or lack there of.

Round 4

Athyiba Rubin DT- He has the size of a NT

Round 4(From KC)

Erik Ainge QB- country bumpkin QB to replace Chad

Round 5

Jordan Grimes OG- This guy is a good player.. Has good size too at 6-3 325

....... I haven't really studied the draft enough to make anymore picks but here is an idea of how my team looks

Offense

QB- Kellen Clemens, Quinn Gray, Erik Ainge

HB- Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, ?????

LT-D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Adrian Jones

LG-Ryan Lilja, Wil Montgomory

C-Nick Mangold, Wade Smith

RG-Jake Scott, Brandon Moore

RT- Stacey Andrews, Jacob Bender

WR-Bernard Berrian, Jerricho Cotchery, DeSean Jackson, Brad Smith, Wallace Wright

TE-Chris Baker, Joe Sean Ryan

FB-Joe Kolowoski

Defense

LDE-Tommy Kelly, CJ Mosely

NT- Frank Okam, Sione Pouha, Athyibia Rubin

RDE-Kenyon Coleman, Kareem Brown

LOLB-Bryan Thomas, David Bowens

ILB- David Harris, Victor Hobson

ILB- J Leman, Victor Hobson

ROLB-Vernon Gholston, David Bowens

CB-Darlle Revis, Hank Poteat, Drew Coleman

FS-Abram Elam, Eric Smith, Erik Coleman

SS-Kerry Rhodes, Rashad Washington

CB-Randall Gay, Hank Poteat Drew Coleman

Im not going to pretend I read all that, but I did skim it and I appreciate the effort...

Observations.

1. Randy Moss=4th round pick LC=???? Prob. not a first....

2. I dont get all the hate on Barton? I think he has lost a step sure but I still think he is a solid run stopper

3. Totally agree on Bowens, I like him a lot and wish we could see hime more

4. MUST RE SIGN RHODES

Im not going to pretend I read all that, but I did skim it and I appreciate the effort...

Observations.

1. Randy Moss=4th round pick LC=???? Prob. not a first....

2. I dont get all the hate on Barton? I think he has lost a step sure but I still think he is a solid run stopper

3. Totally agree on Bowens, I like him a lot and wish we could see hime more

4. MUST RE SIGN RHODES

Moss was a different situation. He was likely going to get released anyway b/c his scheduled salary was $10M for this year alone. Totally different situation, particularly with them giving Russell $30M guaranteed. We are not similarly desperate to jettison Coles for cap reasons.

I agree, but do you see Coles going for a first? A small receiver who has been banged up this year and is aging? I sure as hell dont....

Hey if he does great but I would be surprised if Coles goes for anything better than a late second

Not a high first. But a late first? Yes, I could see it. I wouldn't EXPECT it, but I could see it.

Part of what lowers someone's trade value is how desperate a team is to get rid of that player. That's how a superstar like T.O. goes for a 2nd. And how a nobody like McCareins also goes for a 2nd. Hell, I saw both Joey Galloway AND Keyshawn Johnson acquired for TWO FIRST round draft picks apiece. At the time, Galloway was nothing but a "go deep" guy who was thought to be afraid of hits. Keyshawn was the polar opposite; a go over the middle guy with fast TE speed. The point is while these guys were younger at the time, they both had real or perceived clear-cut flaws in their games. And they were moved for way, way more.

A team like Jacksonville for example, doesn't just have to determine whether or not they can get a better WR than Coles with the #26 or whatever pick they end up with. They drafted Reggie Williams #9 in the country & Matt Jones like #25 in the country. Both were busts. I absolutely think that a team that sees itself as right in the middle of a superbowl window would trade away the upside of a late first-round pick with the associated learning-curve & bust-factor for a sure thing.

Not a high first. But a late first? Yes, I could see it. I wouldn't EXPECT it, but I could see it.

Part of what lowers someone's trade value is how desperate a team is to get rid of that player. That's how a superstar like T.O. goes for a 2nd. And how a nobody like McCareins also goes for a 2nd. Hell, I saw both Joey Galloway AND Keyshawn Johnson acquired for TWO FIRST round draft picks apiece. At the time, Galloway was nothing but a "go deep" guy who was thought to be afraid of hits. Keyshawn was the polar opposite; a go over the middle guy with fast TE speed. The point is while these guys were younger at the time, they both had real or perceived clear-cut flaws in their games. And they were moved for way, way more.

A team like Jacksonville for example, doesn't just have to determine whether or not they can get a better WR than Coles with the #26 or whatever pick they end up with. They drafted Reggie Williams #9 in the country & Matt Jones like #25 in the country. Both were busts. I absolutely think that a team that sees itself as right in the middle of a superbowl window would trade away the upside of a late first-round pick with the associated learning-curve & bust-factor for a sure thing.

Reggie Williams has been very good this year, he has 9 TD's. Jacksonville will not look for a WR IMO.

He still drops too many passes & disappears for weeks at a time. He also was absolute nothing for 2 seasons. Even if you think he's that fantastic, he would be world's better with Coles opposite him instead of Wilford or that other loser.

But that's not my point, as I'm not suggesting Jax would give us a #1 for Coles (someone else suggested them as a team with some sort of hard-on for Coles). I said I would NOT expect it, but I could see it.

Well said, good post.

I look at it like this, if Im the Jags GM do I really want to get a 30 year old WR (who was able to be so effective due to his speed) who has been injured this past year when I can either get a young WR who has much more potential (despite their woes picking receivers in recent years) or a better option in free agency. What is a better option? Chad Johnson is a disgruntled, younger, wide receiver who would have a much bigger impact on the Jags than Coles. If your theory is right (which I think it is and 100% agree with you) they will get a better receiver, for a better price...I just dont think LC is what they are looking for...

Of course they could always draft a guy like Sweed or Manningham and roll the dice again. The benefits of this is they have a younger QB and I really dont think a starting WR is the thing that will get the Jags past the Colts and esp. the Pats.

He still drops too many passes & disappears for weeks at a time. He also was absolute nothing for 2 seasons. Even if you think he's that fantastic, he would be world's better with Coles opposite him instead of Wilford or that other loser.

But that's not my point, as I'm not suggesting Jax would give us a #1 for Coles (someone else suggested them as a team with some sort of hard-on for Coles). I said I would NOT expect it, but I could see it.

I agree with your theory just not with Jacksonville.

They don't ask much of their WR's and the only one who's had a problem catching the ball consistently is Matt Jones, Williams on the other hand has really come along.

I agree with your theory just not with Jacksonville.

They don't ask much of their WR's and the only one who's had a problem catching the ball consistently is Matt Jones, Williams on the other hand has really come along.

I don't have the first clue who Jacksonville wants at WR. But they all drop a lot of passes; not just Jones (who can neither catch nor get open despite his enormous size & supposedly blazing speed). The only asset any of them really seem to have is height as they're all 6'4 or taller.

I would not be blown away in shock at a team giving up a first for Coles. No more so than the Pats giving up a 2nd and a 7th for Wes Welker (which seemed even more ridiculous at the time than someone offering up a 1st for Coles right now).

I didn't care for this mock. I don't think cap implications were considered; There's no way we can afford to get rid of 2/3 of our starting DL. Talent aside, it would cost too much. I can see us parting with one, if the return is great; but not both.

I still like the idea of packaging Coles with Chad. Even if it means we don't get the fabled 1st and 4th round picks. The two, traded together raises each other's value due to familiarity.

How would we afford to acquire all of those FAs?

I didn't care for this mock. I don't think cap implications were considered; There's no way we can afford to get rid of 2/3 of our starting DL. Talent aside, it would cost too much. I can see us parting with one, if the return is great; but not both.

I still like the idea of packaging Coles with Chad. Even if it means we don't get the fabled 1st and 4th round picks. The two, traded together raises each other's value due to familiarity.

How would we afford to acquire all of those FAs?

Under the premise of this mock...

Ellis is roughly an even swap. No real hit nor savings depending on when he's cut.

DRob saves us a TON of money by getting cut or traded or whatever. His cap # is just under $10M for 2008 and no FA DL acquisition would be as costly for '08.

Cutting Barton saves us $3M on the '08 cap.

Cutting Barrett I think saves about $2M on the '08 cap (don't have my stuff on this laptop & can't remember off the top of my head, but it's between $1M and $3M).

Trading Coles (before the draft) I also can't remember exactly but I think it saves us about a million or two on the '08 cap.

Trading Chad (before the draft) should save us about $2M on the '08 cap.

Cap-wise, this purges about $15M off the 2008 cap. Basically, it's a very cap-friendly series of cuts/trades, saving us a net of over $15M and putting us about $40-45M under the 2008 cap.

Whether the cap considerations were intended or inadvertent, all of this is very doable under the cap if our FO wants to replace all these players.

I like the work you put into the cuts/resigings/trades and free agency...i could be happy with those results...not sure on the draft...especially as you say...the trade of Coles and Vilma for Jackson...a little too much don't ya think...not sure Okam could play for Mangini...I've read on some draft boards that he takes plays off...the rest requires a little more research from the draft experts...but interesting post none the less.

I would first like to say that the NFL needs to change its draft placement method. Why are teams punished for playing tougher competition? Apparently there is a three way tie for the #3 pick in the draft, and will be decided by a coin flip. Why can't the NFL flip a coin for ALL teams with identical records to decide draft position?

Either way this is Tangini's most important offseason, and with over 27 million in cap space they need to be both active and creative...

Notable Cuts

DeWayne Robertson- Its finally time to cut ties with this guy. I am sick of watching him get blown off the line. He couldn't handle an NFL double team as a rookie, and he still can't as a five year vet.

Justin McCareins- Just another case of "Looks like Tarzan, Plays like Jane". J-Mac has size and speed, but his hands and body control just aren't adequete.

Eric Barton- Did you see that missed tackle on Kolby Smith earlier in the game? This guy has been terrible this year, and he's not getting any younger.

Shaun Ellis- His time on the Jets has come to end IMO. He has been invisible ever since he signed that big extension.

David Barrett- (Round of Applause) David Barrett is the first New York Jet to make my "notable cuts" list three years in a row... Is this the year they finally rid Jets fans of this awful player?

Brad Kassell/Matt Chatham- I know these were some Mangini guys that were brought in... If either are making any sort of money they need to go..

Andre Dyson- They were close to cutting him last year, I don't think he did anything this year to save his job.

Re-Sign

David Bowens- I really thought this guy did a good job when he got the oppurtunity

Trades

Analysis: This would be good value for LC. I hear the Jags will go hard after him. They are only a few players away so this would shock me

Analysis- Vilma's value isn't as high as it was last year, but Denver is a team that is known for taking chances, and this would allow them to move DJ Williams back to OLB.

Free Agency

Jake Scott OG- He has started at RG for Indy for the last four years. He is younger(26) and cheaper than Faneca.

Ryan Lilja OG- He has started at LG for the Colts for the past two years. Two guys that can start at guard for 3-5 years is smart money

Bernard Berrian- This is the big fish that the Jets will need to go hard at in Free Agency. The Jets will have plenty of cap room to make all these signings so money shouldn't be an issue if Woody is willing to spend it. Berrian is the deep play threat that this team has lacked for so long. I would rather have him on the team than Coles.

Draft

Round 1(pick 6)-

Vernon Gholston OLB-I think the Jets should take a QB(Although its a bad omen to take a QB at pick 6) with this pick, but we all know that won't happen... From the scouting report Gholston sounds like another Shawn Merriman. The Jets need a player like to disrupt the QB. I wouldn't mind his teammate James Lauranitus in this spot either.. I'm in the minority that prefers Gholston/Laurantius over McFadden.

Round 1(pick 15)

DeSean Jackson WR- I have a man crush on this guy, and really think the Jets need to make a move for him. He has Ted Ginn speed, but a much better reciever. He is pretty much a Santana Moss clone, and a PERFECT fit in this offense.. I know many will kill me for trading Lav Coles and Jon Vilma for DeSean Jackson, but I think this guy is the real deal.

Round 2(pick 3)

Frank Okam DT-He is projected to go around this time, and if he's not there the Jets can always parlay this pick for more picks..

Round 3

J Leman ILB- High character High motor guy that Mangini likes.. Will be a better 3-4 ILB than a 4-3 MLB in the pros bc of his speed or lack there of.

Round 4

Round 4(From KC)

Round 5

....... I haven't really studied the draft enough to make anymore picks but here is an idea of how my team looks

Offense

WR-Bernard Berrian, Jerricho Cotchery, DeSean Jackson, Brad Smith, Wallace Wright

FB-Joe Kolowoski

Defense

I'll give you this, that is one hell of an off-season and is actually a bit realistic too. POTW NOM!!

Under the premise of this mock...

Ellis is roughly an even swap. No real hit nor savings depending on when he's cut.

DRob saves us a TON of money by getting cut or traded or whatever. His cap # is just under $10M for 2008 and no FA DL acquisition would be as costly for '08.

Cutting Barton saves us $3M on the '08 cap.

Cutting Barrett I think saves about $2M on the '08 cap (don't have my stuff on this laptop & can't remember off the top of my head, but it's between $1M and $3M).

Trading Coles (before the draft) I also can't remember exactly but I think it saves us about a million or two on the '08 cap.

Trading Chad (before the draft) should save us about $2M on the '08 cap.

Cap-wise, this purges about $15M off the 2008 cap. Basically, it's a very cap-friendly series of cuts/trades, saving us a net of over $15M and putting us about $40-45M under the 2008 cap.

Whether the cap considerations were intended or inadvertent, all of this is very doable under the cap if our FO wants to replace all these players.

I had no idea. I know we need to make changes in the worst way... I just don't see these changes happening. Signing THREE big name OL?

The way the line looks now, we can't sign enough big name O-lineman!!!

Two decent starters should be more than enough. Our line only needs 4 out of 5, really. Two starters and a rook-draftee should be plenty.

Keep in mind we could use help on other parts of the roster. Spread the wealth.

Yeah, and he only had like 40 catches.

10 TDs or not, Reggie Williams blows. Holy Marc Boerichter!

Do you ever watch the Jacksonville offence???

No one's ever going to get many receptions in it. I speak to a lot of Jacksonville fans on other forums and they have been very happy with his performance this season.

Notable Cuts

Re-Sign

Trades

Free Agency

Draft

Round 1(pick 6)-

Round 1(pick 15)

Round 2(pick 3)

Round 3

Round 4

Round 4(From KC)

Round 5

Offense

FB-Joe Kolowoski

Defense

Tommy kelly, namdi asomngha should be extended soon and rob ryan isn't gone yet.

benard berrian said he wants to stay in chicago but if he must look elsewhere he said he'd like to come home. berrian is a merced native which isn't far from oakland,SF and he wants a warm weather city.

Jacksonville has targeted Coles as has been reported-it makes sense that he would want to go somewhere close to his mansion he had built-I hope the Chief's deal goes through and we end up with KC's 1st rounder-all the people who say Chad should go for a 4th rounder are crazy-there are a half dozen teams that would give higher than that-remember AJ Feeley cost Miami a 2nd rounder and I say if we can't get at LEAST that for Chad then keep him

Tommy kelly, namdi asomngha should be extended soon and rob ryan isn't gone yet.

Raiders | Asomugha intends to void remainder of deal

Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:06:57 -0800

Steve Corkran, of the Bay Area News Group, reports Oakland Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha said he intends to void the remainder of his current deal and enter free agency.

also Sapp and Porter aren't coming back-check out KFFL-there are a few nuggets there for your boards

sapp hasnt decided yet because hes contenplating retirement. Porter I dont care about because hes an overated jerk who could flourish as a #2 if the #1 is there.

Archived