Miami will trade down for QB.

TNJet

Almost every mock draft I've seen has Gholston going around #15-20 to play the position that has him rated this high in the first place. Why do so many people want him at #6 to learn & then play a totally different position?

he played lb at ost too.

Almost every mock draft I've seen has Gholston going around #15-20 to play the position that has him rated this high in the first place. Why do so many people want him at #6 to learn & then play a totally different position?

Right. you do not use a pick 6 on a guy you plan to play in a different position than the one he plays. too many things could go wrong. smells like a potential bust move. a pick like that, you have to be as sure as you can be.

I completely agree with you. However, I think Gholston is going to shoot up mock drafts and draft boards after the Senior Bowl and Combine. This guy is a monster and workout warrior.

I expect MIA to trade down or tale Jake Long. If they trade down, I highly doubt Parcells would draft a QB. The difference between the QB's in this draft is negligable. They all have flaws and none are all that much better than the other. Quite frankly I don't think any of them are worth a firast round pick at all, and you will likely see a guy like Matt Ryan or Colt Brennan in the 2nd or 3rd round, so why draft Brohm or Woodson in the first? Hell, Chad Henne and Booty is even worth comparing to the top guys and they may last until the 4th round.

First off, they are MOCK drafts for a reason. There is only one MOCK draft expert i watch and that's scott who runs NFLDC. Besides that, Merriman, Ware, Kamerion Wimbley all got drafted in the 12, 11th, and 13th slots overall. None of them had played OLB at all at anytime in there career; Merriman wasn't considered a DE/OLB tweener until the combine and his pro day.

People seem to throw out the term bust so often; what about him makes him a bust?? He plays the run extremely well and is constantly after the qb, not too mention he is unbeilably strong.

(he tackles a running back with one arm, while being dragged to the ground by an olineman...unreal)

As for people saying he was "invisible" in the national championship, I just finished watching it again and i came away with 3.5 tackles, 1 sack and 5 QB hurries and one of them he caused an intentional grounding. A lot of times Sacks are QB hurries + Luck, look at mario williams last year, only a handful of sacks + tons of qb hurries, this year he translated it to 10+ sacks. I am just saying, i don't understand the term bust with him; people say he's playing a different postion, but really only by title. His hand won't be in the ground, unless we play a little 43, but he still will be playing off the edge, shedding blockers, getting after the qb etc. Our version of the 34 has his OLB postion drop into coverage far less, whereas Bryan Thomas' position is forced into coverage more; one of the reasons for his drop of in production. He may be shakin in coverage, but so was/is merriman, ware and wimbley. It takes time and gholston is more than athletic enough to do it.

Additionally, he is a film junkie, he watches it religiously. He also clearly takes care of his body and has never been in trouble, atleast to my knowledge. What more could you possibly ask from someone?

Because people are idiots? :biggrin:

I see them taking a deal to move down for Ryan/Brohm in the top ten.McFadden will be the first player picked,and should be. Maybe by who knows the Falcons? We need to get OL or Vernon Gholston DE/OLB Ohio State AT 6..

They (Miami) have to find someone willing to move up to #1 1st . Not necessarly easy.

I completely agree with you. However, I think Gholston is going to shoot up mock drafts and draft boards after the Senior Bowl and Combine. This guy is a monster and workout warrior.

If he shoots up the boards because of the combine, let someone else take him. We already used a top-5-ish pick on DRob that way & it was a sucky thing to do. If DaBrick Wall showed up to the combine at 289 lbs instead of 312 lbs there's a good chance we wouldn't have taken him at #4 either.

Screw that.

I was leaning towards Laurinaitis over Gholston, but he didn't look too impressive on the biggest stage of the year either. I fully admit I didn't watch/focus on him in the other games.

Right now I don't know what I would do with the pick. But a lot of that is because I don't know who we're getting or going after in FA, and don't know what options we have (if any) as far as trading down (or up). Purely drafting BPA sounds good on paper, and it works for some positions. But a top-6 pick should be starting right away (except maybe QB) and be pretty good right away; not grooming into a position over his first couple of seasons. Not with a signing bonus of around $18M anyway.

If he shoots up the boards because of the combine, let someone else take him. We already used a top-5-ish pick on DRob that way & it was a sucky thing to do. If DaBrick Wall showed up to the combine at 289 lbs instead of 312 lbs there's a good chance we wouldn't have taken him at #4 either.

Screw that.

I was leaning towards Laurinaitis over Gholston, but he didn't look too impressive on the biggest stage of the year either. I fully admit I didn't watch/focus on him in the other games.

Right now I don't know what I would do with the pick. But a lot of that is because I don't know who we're getting or going after in FA, and don't know what options we have (if any) as far as trading down (or up). Purely drafting BPA sounds good on paper, and it works for some positions. But a top-6 pick should be starting right away (except maybe QB) and be pretty good right away; not grooming into a position over his first couple of seasons. Not with a signing bonus of around $18M anyway.

Laurinaitus has a very tough time shedding blockers and getting to the ball carrier, which is the worst attribute a 34 ILB can have. The biggest knock on him coming into the national championship was that he gets taken out of the play when a team runs right at him and he did absolutely nothing to dispell that notion.

I still think people see that because Gholston's position in college is DE that it would take a huge transition to OLB in the 34. That isn't true at all, because he has dropped back into coverage in college and he'd be basically playing the same position just with his hand out of the ground. Merriman, Ware and Wimbley are the premier OLB in the NFL and they were all less polished than gholston is coming out and look at their first years stats;

Merriman; 68 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 5 pd and 2 FF

Ware; 58 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 pd and 3 FF

Wimbley; 62 tackles, 11 sacks and 1 FF

I will take that sort of production out of our rookie OLB any day of the week. I just think people need to get over the notion that changing position from DE in college to OLB tweener is that big of a learning curve.

Edit: I also too like J.long alot, but as a RT putting top 6 LT type of money into it is terrible value; I understand that Oline is a huge need, but sinking that much money into our RT who isn't planning on transitioning to LT. I will admit that if C.long and gholston isn't there he is a good pick; however i dont see the value being worth it. If you think about taking J.long and all that money playing RT compared to a Gosder Cherillus or Chris williams etc. with our second round pick it's just uneven. I would rather take Gosder Cherillus or Chris Williams in the top of the 2nd and C.long and Gholston with our first than J.Long and someone else in the second; personally, i just think it's better value and improves our team more.

I see them taking a deal to move down for Ryan/Brohm in the top ten.McFadden will be the first player picked,and should be. Maybe by who knows the Falcons? We need to get OL or Vernon Gholston DE/OLB Ohio State AT 6..

10-15 years ago it was a LOT easier to trade the top pick. Now, with the draft value chart, the amount of guaranteed money the #1 gets and the Manning trade, it has become near impossible to trade down from #1. Plus in this years draft, there is no got to have type player. Really I could only see the #1 pick being traded for an Elway/Manning type QB prospect, and this draft certainly does not have that. Unless Parcells is willing to take no where near draft chart value, he will be forced to pick a player.

I would like to see us take Long from Michigan, our offensive line would have potential to be very good in the future. Ferguson is going to be good once he gets he cant be built like a TE.

Were not drafting three o-lineman with three first round picks... dbrick mangold and now spend another on an o-lineman...

because Jets fans are pressing to fill a need.

Archived