Abram Elam

Ghost

I think Elam has a lot of potential at the saftey position in the NFL. I liked what I saw from him for a majority of the year and thought he improved as he played more.

That being said it does not mean that there cant be an upgrade over him, I just think he is a young starter and should be given more time in the starting role befor replacing him, and if he shows no more signs of improvement, than next offseason replace him.

Besides, there are too many needs for the team to worry about saftey when they have someone who is at least capable back there.

I could live with him. He made a couple of boneheaded mistakes last year, but the guy is a ferocious hitter and always seems to be around the ball. I would give him a chance to develop.

I agree, too. Plus, they have and like Eric Smith. Those two are certainly fine for me. Anyway, with the dearth of talent on the lines, the utter lack of depth among the LB and WR units, the numbing need for a CB opposite Revis, I'm not thinking Safety for quite a while this offseason. Though I sure hope they sign Rhodes soon.

I could live with him. He made a couple of boneheaded mistakes last year, but the guy is a ferocious hitter and always seems to be around the ball. I would give him a chance to develop.

I agee also but, sometimes he goes for the big hit instead of wrapping the guy up! If he could learn to just purely tackle instead of leading with his shoulder he may actually be pretty good.

I agee also but, sometimes he goes for the big hit instead of wrapping the guy up! If he could learn to just purely tackle instead of leading with his shoulder he may actually be pretty good.

Maybe that comes with experience, although you can't teach intelligence.

Maybe that comes with experience, although you can't teach intelligence.

But you also cant teach aggressiveness or whatever it is that Elam has that makes him run so hard at ballcarriers. I take my chances with him and Smith for another year.

Considering the fact that there's only ONE draft-worthy safety, and ONE safety worth looking at in free-agency.... I think we focus on other positions this year... I don't think there's anything wrong with Elam; anyone who says otherwise is just being picky.But, as mentioned we still have Eric Smith on roster, as well as Erik Coleman, Darnell Bing, and my favorite option to start at safety; Justin Miller.Justin Miller has been on the team for three years, and learning this defense for the last two... Pre-injury, he had pro-bowl caliber wheels... and he likes to hit. His biggest knock is coverage, where playing the strong-safety spot would decrease that liability. He's taller than Bob Sanders, and built like a missle.... oh yeah, and he likes blitzing. Revis Rhodes Miller SamuelWould be killer.

Considering the fact that there's only ONE draft-worthy safety, and ONE safety worth looking at in free-agency.... I think we focus on other positions this year... I don't think there's anything wrong with Elam; anyone who says otherwise is just being picky.But, as mentioned we still have Eric Smith on roster, as well as Erik Coleman, Darnell Bing, and my favorite option to start at safety; Justin Miller.Justin Miller has been on the team for three years, and learning this defense for the last two... Pre-injury, he had pro-bowl caliber wheels... and he likes to hit. His biggest knock is coverage, where playing the strong-safety spot would decrease that liability. He's taller than Bob Sanders, and built like a missle.... oh yeah, and he likes blitzing. Revis Rhodes Miller SamuelWould be killer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Erik Coleman is an UFA. He won't be back. I wouldn't count on Bing too much either seeing as he was playing LB with the Raiders. I've heard your Justin Miller thoughts before and I have to say that I disagree. Miller likes to hit, but does not wrap up and takes suspect angles. More importantly, he seems at least as questionable in the brains department as Elam. The key word is safety. I don't trust Miller as my last line of defense. OTOH, as you point out, he is physically up to the job and either way, without a major upgrade I'll stick with Smith/Elam.

Justin Miller can't cover to save his life, I doubt that would suddenly change if he moved to safety where he'd have similar responsibilitys. He's far from a great tackler as well, I would hate that move.

I think Elam showed a lot of talent this year and although I'm still not fully convinced I think he's worth another shot, he just needs to concentrate more and cut down on his mental errors, which were costly this season.

• 1 month later...

wouldn't surprise me to see a 4th or 5th used on a safety

also wouldn't surprise me if that safety was Tommy Z from ND.

with the boxing, the smarts, the versatility the script writes itself.

worst case he's a special teams mascot, best case Rhodes plays FS and Tommy Z plays monster back on running downs.

Are we going to pursue this position via draft ?

He's not a good FS. we need a huge upgrade at that position. I'll take a Safety in the 2nd round, people like this guy but I can't reasons to like him.

We have much bigger needs than safety especially to waste a second rounder. Eric Smith and Abram Elam as a combination are good enough where there are many other holes that can be filled. Also there are almost no good safetys in this draft, its definitely not a position we should even consider until round 5

He's an aggressive player who is a very good run stopper which is the perfect complement to Rhodes. His presence allows Kerry to roam free in coverage and blitz the Quarterback because when it comes to defending against the pass, Elam isn't too shabby either. He seems like he has it all.

He's an aggressive player who is a very good run stopper which is the perfect complement to Rhodes. His presence allows Kerry to roam free in coverage and blitz the Quarterback because when it comes to defending against the pass, Elam isn't too shabby either. He seems like he has it all.

I agree

I thought he and Harris was the main reason for the resurgence of the D in the second half of the season.

I think Mangini thinks so also, despite his over enthusiastic early bone headed plays, he continued to get lots of reps.

This guy was actually originally a fairly high rated player, then got in trouble in college, and plea bargained.

I honestly believe he is going to be an excellent FS.

This was the first year Elam saw significant action as a safety, why dont we give him a chance to develop and calm down before we discard him with yesterday's trash. On the other side of the fence, we've seen guys like Erik Coleman and Eric McMillan have\ good rookie years and then steadily declined after. First impressions arent always a clear indication.

Lets not be so qick to judge, I think Elam is a very good talent and hits like bricks, and im willing to give him ore than a half of a season to make a judgement on him

This was the first year Elam saw significant action as a safety, why dont we give him a chance to develop and calm down before we discard him with yesterday's trash. On the other side of the fence, we've seen guys like Erik Coleman and Eric McMillan have\ good rookie years and then steadily declined after. First impressions arent always a clear indication.

Lets not be so qick to judge, I think Elam is a very good talent and hits like bricks, and im willing to give him ore than a half of a season to make a judgement on him

His main problem is he goes for the big hit instead of wrapping the runner up!

I actually wasn't too concerned about Elam. If he can just concentrate more, he can be solid if not spectacular. I'm not too convinced with him in coverage though, I think Eric Smith could be a 3rd down type safety as he seemed much more comfortable when picking guys up. Elam has a ton of potential though, no doubt about that.

At least some Jets fans judge a player on more than just 8 games.:cheers:

Archived