What would be the best option for the Mets at catcher?

Jetsfan80

Who should be the Mets starting catcher?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who should be the Mets starting catcher?

• Mike Piazza
    • Ramon Castro
    • Mike DiFelice
    • Bob Uecker
    • Tom Shane
    • me
    • the umpire
    • other

Tough call here, but I think that Tom Shane might make the best choice, seeing that he is used to being a receiver in his relationships.

In all seriousness, however, I cannot wait for this guy to get the hell out of town. The man cannot get out of his own way as a catcher, and he has lost the ability to even get around on a fastball, let alone hit a curve (which he could never do anyways). Maybe it's time for a change for change's sake.

I am so thankful that I dont have this problem, what with V-tek the Beast being the herladed leader of my team. A great catcher as harder to find than a grest left-handed starter or any other premium position.

I was pissed that the Mets didn't even make a token effort to sign Tek as a FA this winter.

Pedro and Jorge, now thats a battery! Jorge better wear extra padding on his mask because you know Petie would like nothing better than to pay him a receipt for all that drama Jorge caused in '03.

Then again, Jorge could stop a speeding locomotive with that nose!

Anna Benson would never allow this trade, she'd have to fight for facetime on camera with Jorge's ridiculously hot gold-digger, errr, I mean wife.

Ham, I'd do that trade in a second and I think it would actually help both teams. The Yanks would get an outstanding DH who, if he doesn't catch every day, will get the bat back and be a dangerous hitter for the Yanks and the Mets, (though they'd have to get something else IMO) would get rid of Piazza who has become a symbol for the 'Old Mets'. Jorge is not an upgrade offensively for us, but defensively he at least gives the Mets a dependable veteran catcher who knows a thing or two about handling pitchers. Surprisingly, Piazza calls a good game but none of our better pitchers have ever liked playing with him. I guess it's because of his embarrassing arm, but you'd really have to wonder if there isn't something else that has made Leiter, Glavine, Pedro, etc, not want Mikey P behind the dish for them.

If the Yankees are carrying a kid that is not expected to hit in CF and waiting for the bat at 1B to come to life...no offensive production from the C position is not an option.

Catching Piazza is not an option. Besides I think Posada has more money owed to him. So this is unlikely. Still wouldn't do it.

Ham, I'd do that trade in a second and I think it would actually help both teams. The Yanks would get an outstanding DH who, if he doesn't catch every day, will get the bat back and be a dangerous hitter for the Yanks and the Mets, (though they'd have to get something else IMO) would get rid of Piazza who has become a symbol for the 'Old Mets'. Jorge is not an upgrade offensively for us, but defensively he at least gives the Mets a dependable veteran catcher who knows a thing or two about handling pitchers. Surprisingly, Piazza calls a good game but none of our better pitchers have ever liked playing with him. I guess it's because of his embarrassing arm, but you'd really have to wonder if there isn't something else that has made Leiter, Glavine, Pedro, etc, not want Mikey P behind the dish for them.

Jeez, Tom, how many over the hill DH's do you think the Yanks can carry at one time?

TS, wanna trade Mike Piazza for Jorge Posada ... straight swap?

I think the Mets would make that deal ... and if they would, I would hope the Yankees oblige them

Ham

Piazza as the Yankee DH- Sierra would not get the at bats - you stated and I agree that the Yanks should make sure he gets in the lineup.

Ham

Piazza as the Yankee DH- Sierra would not get the at bats - you stated and I agree that the Yanks should make sure he gets in the lineup.

I actually had catcher in mind for Piazza ... accept his failings behind the dish to extend the lineup with yet another thumper

Now I realize MP hasn't been the lethal hitter he once was, but IMO he is still a far more dangerous hitter than Posada {even if the numbers at the moment do not bear that out}

SS Derek Jeter

2B Robinson Cano

3B Arod

RF Gary Sheffield

LF Hideki Matsui

1B Jason Giambi

C Mike Piazza

DH Ruben Sierra/Bernie Williams

CF Melky/Bernie

Sign me up :wink:

I actually had catcher in mind for Piazza ... accept his failings behind the dish to extend the lineup with yet another thumper

Now I realize MP hasn't been the lethal hitter he once was, but IMO he is still a far more dangerous hitter than Posada {even if the numbers at the moment do not bear that out}

SS Derek Jeter

2B Robinson Cano

3B Arod

RF Gary Sheffield

LF Hideki Matsui

1B Jason Giambi

C Mike Piazza

DH Ruben Sierra/Bernie Williams

CF Melky/Bernie

Sign me up :wink:

I'm not a Posada fan, but I'd take him over Piazza at this point.

Piazza for Posada?

I'd be tempted to do that because IMO Flaherty calls a much better game than Posada.

But is Piazzas bat that much better than our current DH Sierra? I guess they could alternate every so often but I dunno, Posada when he gets hot is really worth it. Its just a matter of time before he gets on a nice hitting streak again.

There is no way that Torre and ex-catcher would let Piazza catch one inning for him in any game that mattered.

Piazza would hurt this Yankees team far more than help it.

Anyone remember what Joe's first move was when he got here? He brought in Giradi and got blasted for it. The move worked out well.

Just goes to show that a catcher is more than offensive production.

There is no way that Torre and ex-catcher would let Piazza catch one inning for him in any game that mattered.

Piazza would hurt this Yankees team far more than help it.

Anyone remember what Joe's first move was when he got here? He brought in Giradi and got blasted for it. The move worked out well.

Just goes to show that a catcher is more than offensive production.

Which is why Torre was moved to 3rd Base during his playing days.

Also a interesting stat from the 1st half:

Most Steals Allowed

Piazza might not be as big a liability behind the plate in AL because there is less emphasis on stealing with most of the teams- NAH I have to be honest no way if I had a choice would I put him at catcher even in the American League

Piazza might not be as big a liability behind the plate in AL because there is less emphasis on stealing with most of the teams- NAH I have to be honest no way if I had a choice would I put him at catcher even in the American League

Here's my thinking

This Yankees team, in my view, will have to thump their way to the WS if they are going to get there

Won't really matter if the opposition steals an occasional base, at the end of the day this Yankee team will thump their way to the WS or they won't

So in that respect I would gladly trade Posada for Piazza and plug MP in as our catcher

Adding Piazza to this already lethal lineup, in place of Posada who is too often a rally killer, would only make this lineup that much more dangerous ... and we JUST MIGHT thump our way to the show

PS. Assuming we do then turn around and pound our way into the playoffs, then meat Boston yet again, who other than Johnny Damon do we even have to worry about stealing bases in that series?

NOBODY!!

The Red Sox HIT TO WIN ... they don't RUN TO WIN

That series will be as it always is ... team that pounds the hardest wins

POST SEASON LINEUP {Unless Melky emerges in CF during the regular season}

================

SS Derek Jeter

CF Bernie Williams

3B Arod

RF Hideki Matsui

LF Gary Sheffield

1B Jason Giambi

C Mike Piazza

DH Ruben Sierra

2B Robby Cano

That team has some defensive issues, but man will they score runs in bunches!!

They'll have pitchers out on that mound with their knees shaking :shock:

Here's my thinking

This Yankees team, in my view, will have to thump their way to the WS if they are going to get there

Won't really matter if the opposition steals an occasional base, at the end of the day this Yankee team will thump their way to the WS or they won't

So in that respect I would gladly trade Posada for Piazza and plug MP in as our catcher

Adding Piazza to this already lethal lineup, in place of Posada who is too often a rally killer, would only make this lineup that much more dangerous ... and we JUST MIGHT thump our way to the show

PS. Assuming we do then turn around and pound our way into the playoffs, then meat Boston yet again, who other than Johnny Damon do we even have to worry about stealing bases in that series?

NOBODY!!

The Red Sox HIT TO WIN ... they don't RUN TO WIN

That series will be as it always is ... team that pounds the hardest wins

POST SEASON LINEUP {Unless Melky emerges in CF during the regular season}

================

SS Derek Jeter

CF Bernie Williams

3B Arod

RF Hideki Matsui

LF Gary Sheffield

1B Jason Giambi

C Mike Piazza

DH Ruben Sierra

2B Robby Cano

That team has some defensive issues, but man will they score runs in bunches!!

They'll have pitchers out on that mound with their knees shaking :shock:

I voted for Tom Shane because the only person other than Mike Piazza that has caught more balls on the chin, it's him.

Seriously, I'm a Met fan and I really appreciate Piazza's contributions to the organization, but his time has more than past. There has got to be at least one team in the American League that would sacrifice a bag of baseballs and a clean home plate for Piazza as their DH. Look at Minnesota, they just traded for Boone and he is completely washed up.

I voted for Tom Shane because the only person other than Mike Piazza that has caught more balls on the chin, it's him.

Seriously, I'm a Met fan and I really appreciate Piazza's contributions to the organization, but his time has more than past. There has got to be at least one team in the American League that would sacrifice a bag of baseballs and a clean home plate for Piazza as their DH. Look at Minnesota, they just traded for Boone and he is completely washed up.

Archived