Pacman to the Pats- his lawyer thinks they are a good fit

faba

stpjohnTomase.jpgBy John Tomase

Friday, March 21, 2008 - Added 6h ago

+ Recent Articles + Recent Blog Entries + Email + Bio Boston Herald Sports Writer

Patriots beat writer John Tomase joined the Herald in 2005 after six years covering the

No player is more synonymous with trouble than Adam “Pacman” Jones. No team is better at rehabilitating perceived problem children than the Patriots [team stats].

Could the two go great together? Jones’ lawyer thinks so.

Manny Arora, Jones’ attorney throughout his various brushes with the law, said yesterday that if the Tennessee Titans [team stats] decide to trade their troubled corner, the Pats would be atop his list of landing spots.

[“Tennessee has said publicly that they’re considering all their options, including a trade,” Arora said. “If Tennessee decides there is going to be a trade, New England would be a very good fit for us. The reason for that is great leadership, strong coaching and a winning tradition.

“Over my years representing athletes and being a lawyer, as long as you’re winning, all the baggage goes away. No one wants to be the guy to mess up winning. The track record the Patriots have in giving players a fresh start would be a great fit.”

Though the Patriots have been described in prior reports as having shown a measure of interest in Jones, there’s no evidence their curiosity has ever advanced beyond cursory.

The current front-runners for Jones’ services are the Cowboys, with the Lions also in pursuit. Jones would be willing to renegotiate his rookie deal wherever he ends up, with Tennessee’s asking price rumored to be no higher than a fourth- or fifth-round draft pick.

From a Patriots perspective, there would be a number of hurdles to completing a deal, not least of which is the fact that Jones is still serving a one-year suspension for violating the league’s personal conduct policy. He has yet to be reinstated by commissioner Roger Goodell.

“He has been told that a decision on his status will be made at some point prior to the opening of training camps,” league spokesman Greg Aiello said last night.

Arora would like a decision to come sooner.

“We’re going to petition for him to be reinstated prior to the draft,” said Arora, who also serves as Jones’ agent. “The reason for that request is because if a team needs a corner, we’d like to be able to facilitate a trade before they fill their needs through free agency or the draft, which wouldn’t be fair to us.”

Also making Jones a tough sign is the fact that his name is considered public relations poison, thanks to no fewer than 10 run-ins with the law since he entered the NFL in 2005 as the sixth overall pick out of West Virginia.

With the Patriots taking their share of PR hits in the last six months thanks to Camera-gate, a suspension and a pair of marijuana arrests, the timing does not appear particularly conducive to adding a player as polarizing as Jones.

Then again, there’s no questioning his talent as a developing corner and electrifying punt returner (four touchdowns), with the former a huge area of need for the Pats. There’s also no questioning the team’s track record at image rehabilitation, with Randy Moss joining Corey Dillon [stats] and, to a lesser extent, Rodney Harrison [stats].

Jones’ image needs an overhaul. He has been cited for everything from marijuana possession to assault and felony vandalism to disorderly conduct to speeding. His most serious incident came in February 2007 during an altercation at a Las Vegas strip club, when a shooting by a purported member of his entourage left a former pro wrestler paralyzed.

Jones ultimately pleaded no contest to a lesser charge of conspiracy to commit disorderly conduct, but his reputation was tainted beyond repair, and last April 10 Goodell suspended him for the ’07 season.

Every Pat's fan should recoil in horror at this. Tomase is a big fat faced homer and if the Pat's sign this dude you are officially the Raiders East Coast..Rodney,Randy, and Corey are not in the same league as Pacman..don't insult those 3.

I think the Pats are too good a fit. He might actually rehabilitate his career there. Think Tennessee cares if Jones is happy and successful somewhere else? If anything, they'd look worse if Pacman ever got his head on straight. "How come Beli can keep him in line, but Fisher couldn't?" It might be better for them to send him someplace where he can fail all over again.

Every Pat's fan should recoil in horror at this. Tomase is a big fat faced homer and if the Pat's sign this dude you are officially the Raiders East Coast..Rodney,Randy, and Corey are not in the same league as Pacman..don't insult those 3.

Um, incorrect. Tomase is far from a homer - rather he's a disgruntled sox beat reporter who left the Lawrence Eagle Tribune to work as the Pats beat guy at the Boston Herald. He's the one that "broke" the Walsh story without proof - and it's really priving to be bogus now. Additionally, there appears to be friction amongst this doofus and the Pats FO. If anything, Pats fans have shown their true hatred of this scribe and he readily admits during tv appearances and sports radio talk show stints. I hear that the Pats Org and many of the players won't grant this guy an interview. I think he's just being testy to get the ire of people. Ire sells. I mean he writes a story about Pacman's lawyer saying something - and it's a two page thread on JN!

Or maybe he's just pissed off that he isn't in Japan eating sushi and drinking saki?

James Sanders is a Safety. Not sure if he's an upgrade over anything we have. He's an excellent punt returner and that's it.

Thats right. Whose the other scurb you signed this offseason? You give him less credit than you should. He was starting to play much better at Corner towards the end of the '06 season. Hey, personally talent wise I'd rather have a guy like Jones who takes 2-3 years to get into his game rather than a guy like DeAngelo Hall who shines for a year or two and becomes an overrated nobody.

I didn't read the article, but anytime your 'lawyer' claims a certain team is a good fit...maybe you really are a turd and should consider some life changes. I mean, if there are only certain cities, or coaches that will keep you from shooting people and punching strippers, maybe this whole 'life' thing isn't for you.

Perhaps he should use the remody of a short rope and a tall tree?

The Patriots are so thin at CB right now, its not even funny, we thought we were weak on the O-Line last year? Just check out the Patriots secondary this year. I guess they would bring in anyone with a little bit of talent as of right now, even if it's a scub bag like Pacman.

But Vick is still worse, fighting dogs? Killing them for no reason? Thats str8 up evil

I would hate this to happen. Because I know with the Pats, it would ****ing work out.

Pacman may have made alot of mistakes in life since being in the NFL, but still... He's still a very good young CB with alot of upside. Im just glad that the Patriots arent the front runners in terms of landing Pacman, because the kid can play, thats 4sure.

Archived