Rate the best and worst Jets draft year

34st GANG

While I am not as familiar with the past drafts as some of the members on this board, based on potential I would have to go with the 2006 Draft.

I know its recent and all but look at it,

8 of the 10 picks have already contributed to the team in some form already.

The starting LT, C, and future fulltime starting QB, all of whom have only improved with time, and will continue to do so with the new talent placed around them.

Then there is Washington, who could take over the starting RB duties in a few years, at the very least an offensive weapon.

Eric Smith at the least will make for a great backup, if not the fulltime starter by the end of training camp.

Brad Smith has disappointed a little so far, but considering he is a QB becoming a WR there has to be some adjustment time, though if there is no improvment this year, than I'd call that experiment a failure (though playcalling is part of it).

Coleman and Posciak are decent special teamers and depth, nothing special.

Then Titus Adams in the 7th rd, no big loss there.

The only real black eye is Schlegel in the third round who we all admit is a bust, but that is one bad pick out of ten, pretty good percentage.

It is a little too early to tell how this draft class will stand up over the test of time, but 3 starters and some valuable roleplayers give this draft a lot of potential to be the one we build the franchise off of for years to come. Hopefully anyways

That was too painful for a detailed analysis but 2000 was the best...four first rounders was fun to think about before the draft and getting five starters was a good bounty.

The worst is either 1990 or 1980. Both had complete busts at the top and it got progressively worse from there.

I loved last year with David Harris and Darrell Revis,

Harris can be a Ray Lewis type of IMLB and Revis has the talent and potential to be a A.Samuel, Ty Law type of CB for years to come.

I also love the 2006 draft with a potential franchise LT in Ferguson, a future pro bowl center in Mangold with a play-maker in Leon Washington who we stole in the 4th round. Lets not forget Kellen, who knows, he may be the best QB out of Cutler, Young or Leinart, only time will tell-Even if Kellen never makes it as a starter, im still in love with the 2006 draft.

When I look at the year we drafted Robertson, I just wanna turn off the computer

1977 was the best...no question about it. 3 pro bowlers (Powell, Walker, Klecko), 2 solid RBs (KLong, Direking), a 10 year starting OG (Alexander), and a QB we traded for a #1 and a #2 (Matt Robinson) not to mention 2 undrafted FAs in Kenny Schroy (starter at S) and Bruce harper (best 3rd down back weve ever had).

The worst? So many to choose from.

While 1998 was awful and 1997, 1995, 1987, and 1975 made me want to puke, IMO the worst ever was 1986. The ONLY guy to even make the damn team was 1st round bust Mike haight who was drafted as a LT and never played, was later moved to G where he started about 10 games and then was cut.

The worst was the year we drafted a FB in the 1st round (1987) with 1986 a close 2nd.

The best . . . I have no idea but there were some decent drafts.

Looking at that list made me realize how few quality players come out of a draft and makes what this team did last year seem like a good idea.

1997 was horrible

1 8 James Farrior OLB Virginia Had one good season as a Jet before moving on to be an all world LB for Pittsburgh

2 31 Rick Terry DT North Carolina WHO?

3 88 Dedric Ward WR Northern Iowa Had a good game or two

4 102 Terry Day DE Mississippi State WHO?

4 104 Leon Johnson RB North Carolina Bust due to injuries

5 131 Lamont Burns G East Carolina WHO?

5 145 Ray Austin DB Tennessee WHO?

6 164 Tim Scharf -- Northwestern WHO?

6 191 Chuck Clements QB Houston WHO?

7 202 Steve Rosga DB Colorado WHO?

7 229 Jason Ferguson DT Georgia ---hey whaddayaknow, a good player....

UGH.......

1998 was worse

1998 - New York Jets

Rd Sel # Player Position School

2 56 Dorian Boose DE Washington State GARBAGE

3 67 Scott Frost DB Nebraska Out of the league in a hurry

3 87 Kevin Williams FS Oklahoma State injured

4 111 Jason Fabini T Cincinnati Only good pick of the draft

5 134 Casey Dailey LB Northwestern WHO?

5 141 Doug Karczewski G Virginia WHO?

5 146 Blake Spence TE Oregon Shining moment was in AFC championship game...other than that...WHO?

5 149 Eric Bateman -- Brigham Young WHO?

6 163 Eric Ogbogu DE Maryland Did nothing for the Jets

6 174 Chris Brazzell WR Angelo State -Army Sniper

6 183 Dustin Johnson RB Brigham Young WHO?

7 195 Lawrence Hart TE Southern University WHO?

1998 was worse

1998 - New York Jets

Rd Sel # Player Position School

2 56 Dorian Boose DE Washington State GARBAGE

3 67 Scott Frost DB Nebraska Out of the league in a hurry

3 87 Kevin Williams FS Oklahoma State injured

4 111 Jason Fabini T Cincinnati Only good pick of the draft

5 134 Casey Dailey LB Northwestern WHO?

5 141 Doug Karczewski G Virginia WHO?

5 146 Blake Spence TE Oregon Shining moment was in AFC championship game...other than that...WHO?

5 149 Eric Bateman -- Brigham Young WHO?

6 163 Eric Ogbogu DE Maryland Did nothing for the Jets

6 174 Chris Brazzell WR Angelo State -Army Sniper

6 183 Dustin Johnson RB Brigham Young WHO?

7 195 Lawrence Hart TE Southern University WHO?

I would think so many would think '98 was one of our best drafts b/c we used a 1st & a 3rd on Martin.

A good part of the core of Walt Michaels' 81-82 playoff teams were built in the 1977 draft. That was a really good draft.

The draft up until 1991 or 1992 was 11-12 rounds not the 7 rounds that you see today, so there were alot more players chosen. If the the draft was 7 rounds in 1977 guys like Alexander and Robinson may not have even been picked.

1974 may have very well been one of the worst drafts of all time. 21 picks and the best may very well have been punter Greg Gantt or Godwin Turk.

:bag:

1986: Just brutal with Mike Haight. I don't even think their second pick Doug Williams made it out of training camp.

1987: Just as brutal.

1998: Would be a total washout if it wasn't for Fabini.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned '79. It's probably not the best, but it should be in the conversation. 1/2 of the Sack Exchange, 2 starting DBs and the starting MLB? Gastineau was an absolute steal in the second and IIRC if he didn't get trotted out at some all-star game we probably could have had him later.

Archived