Jets Rhodes Agree to 5yr 34M Ext.

Smizzy

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good ****, he's been the best player on our Defense and probably our team and will only get better now that we're starting to put together a real D around him. I was going to be upset if we payed Pace all that money and didn't get Rhodes locked up long term this year. I'm now officialy thrilled with this offseason, we have now extended Rhodes, but not Coles both of these moves making me happy.

5 yr 34M , 20M guaranteed

Cant find it online anywhere.

I thought we would've waited until next offseason to get this done, being that he is under contract through the 09 season...

Either way though, Im glad we wont have to worry about him leaving in two years.

Very, very good move by the FO. Because of the great need on the lines, it cant surpass Jenkins or Faneca IMO, but it's easily the 3rd best, and all three moves are GREAT.

--PS: It's good to know I wont have to worry about him going to NE

Cant find it online anywhere.

I thought we would've waited until next offseason to get this done, being that he is under contract through the 09 season...

Either way though, Im glad we wont have to worry about him leaving in two years.

He was under contract for this year at under $1M, but he was NOT under contract for '09. That's why we all wanted to lock him up. Seems like it may be a lot of money. I like him but if I had the choice I'd probably prefer Sanders.

Here's the link: http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080409&content_id=1456779&oid=36122&vkey=12

NEW YORK -- Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said Wednesday in an interview at the SNY studios that he and the team have reached an agreement on a five-year contract extension. Though Rhodes did not detail the terms of the deal, he suggested that the money will be similar to the five-year, $37.5 million contract that Indianapolis Colts safety Bob Sanders signed in December. Rhodes is entering his fourth season with the Jets since being drafted in the fourth round of the 2005 NFL draft out of Louisville. An Alabama native, Rhodes will turn 26 in August.

In three seasons with the Jets, Rhodes has tallied 214 solo tackles, eight sacks and 10 interceptions. After his 2006-07 campaign, he received postseason honors from Sports Illustrated, ESPN.com and the Associated Press.

Off the field, Rhodes operates his own charity, the RHODES foundation for underprivileged students. He will appear in a cameo role in the upcoming Furqaan Films release, Queen of Media, starring Robin Givens.

Robin Givens gets ahold of him and you can kiss him goodbye!

he's earned it...glad a deal got done...he seem look like one of those players that plays hard only in a contract year then falls off the next....we'll see this season...

??? Don't get this. This wasn't his contract year. He would have become a FA after the '08 season.

JetNation exclusive...

Jets & Kerry Rhodes agree to a 5 yr 34M deal, 20M guaranteed

If this is a fact then it's excellent news for you guys. I have the utmost respect for Rhodes. The guy is damn good.

The Jets are obviously focusing on the defensive side of the ball this offseason.

The signed a few lineman but who will be the guy throwing passes?

hopefully NOT Chad Pennington-I still wonder if he'll even BE on the team. I just can't imagine us forking out 8 million bux to a back up QB. The guy just ain't got it-you guys were right-I was wrong, I THOUGHT that last season his arm strength would return w/o having to rehab. It didn't. I'd rather watch Clemens play than have to suffer through another year of dink and dunk crap football . It's exciting anyway to watch young QBs get a shot for your team...

The Jets are obviously focusing on the defensive side of the ball this offseason.

Well, it wouldnt make sense for them to give up on Clemens after 8 games. After all, we invested a rd 2 draft pick on him just two years ago.

We're getting help where we needed it the most, in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

BTW-refreshing thread here on the Jets side of the board-not one mention of a single college player in the whole thread. AHHHHHHHHHHH.........

I agree, this does probably mean we'll be looking for some more offense in the draft.

Maybe DMC in round 1, but its more likely we go Sweed/Hardy/Thomas/Manningham/ in round 2, and stick with someone like Gholston in round 1 or maybe even Dorsey, Ellis, or even McKelvin or DRC. :Nuts:

I agree, this does probably mean we'll be looking for some more offense in the draft.

Maybe DMC in round 1, but its more likely we go Sweed/Hardy/Thomas/Manningham/ in round 2, and stick with someone like Gholston in round 1 or maybe even Dorsey, Ellis, or even McKelvin or DRC. :Nuts:

you SEE how you are ggm? bastid...

It's not Tom Brady.

That's what you want to hear, right??

Keep your Jets comments to yourself, k Cheatiefan

It's not Tom Brady.

That's what you want to hear, right??

Keep your Jets comments to yourself, k Cheatiefan

Gainzo is very cool JEJ-I don't think that's what he was saying at all...Gainzo NEVER fails to take his lumps when his team loses at this site...or congratulate us when we finally friggin win a game or two

Gainzo is very cool JEJ-I don't think that's what he was saying at all...Gainzo NEVER fails to take his lumps when his team loses at this site...or congratulate us when we finally friggin win a game or two

I never said Gainzo doesn't take his lumps...I just said he always has to

make a negative statement about the Jets

That is the way he comes off...then again all Patsie fans do that to me

I never said Gainzo doesn't take his lumps...I just said he always has to

make a negative statement about the Jets

That is the way he comes off...then again all Patsie fans do that to me

Can you please point out where I make fun of the Jets? You make fun of the Pats because they have the audacity to be successful.

Look in the mirror mate.

WOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Tangini!!!

:superman: My first thought when I heard the news was how top notch this organization is looking this offseason. Aggressive free agency moves. Practice facilities ahead of schedule (they may or may not have had anything to do with this but it still makes them look good). Signing own players. Props to Tannenbaum and the FO. They deserve to have a great season. :)

BTW, I hope this doesn't mean that the Jets feel like they need to draft offense with our first 2 picks. Especially in round 2, I hope they don't pass over a CB who should have a lot of value at #36 and fill a real need.

Jets agree to five-year, $33.5 million extension with Rhodes

NFL.com Wire Reports

RHO457261.jpg <A href=http://www.nfl.com/players/kerryrhodes/profile?id=RHO457261" _extended="true">Kerry Rhodes</A _extended="true">, S

<A href="http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=NYJ" _extended="true">New York Jets</A _extended="true">

2007 Statistics:

Tackles: 67

Int: 5

Sack: 2.0

forced fmb: 2

The New York Jets locked up a key member of their defensive secondary on Wednesday, agreeing to a five-year contract extension with safety Kerry Rhodes.

The extension is worth $33.5 million, including $20 million in guaranteed money, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter. Rhodes had one year remaining on his contract.

Rhodes has been a starter for the Jets since he was chosen in the fourth round (123rd overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft. He started all 16 games for the third consecutive season in 2007, recording 67 total tackles and setting career-bests in passes defended (10) and interceptions (five).

In three NFL seasons, Rhodes has 270 total tackles, 24 passes defended and 10 interceptions.

HELL ****ING YEAH!!!!

Archived