The Official Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Mavrik

General comment.

Watching the Pens/Flyers game 1 right now.

Before moving here I lived in Edmonton and was there for the Gretz glory years. It was a magical time for hockey fans.

This Pens team is the first one since then to remind me of that time. They have something special goin' on.

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the Rangers get eliminated, and all of a sudden this thread is a complete ghost town.

Are you guys Hockey fans or just Ranger fans? Let's talk some hockey!

Whats going on with the crappy attendance? Not a dig at all as I like the Red Wings, just an honest question.

Whats going on with the crappy attendance? Not a dig at all as I like the Red Wings, just an honest question.

I noticed Don Cherry on ESPN the other night saying that the economy has nothing to do with the poor attendance, but I disagree. I think it's a large factor.

People outside the state, I don't think really realize how tough Michigan has it right now. It's one of the states hardest hit by the foreclosure crisis and it's taking a huge beating in the auto industry. You've had thousands of auto workers who have been laid off in Metro Detroit. You also had many auto workers who were Red Wings season ticket holders. When the layoffs started happening and money is getting tight, many of those autoworkers simply didn't renew their ticket packages.

Now the organization can take some blame for the empty seats as well. Season ticket prices have continued to be high despite the fact that many people in the region now can't afford to pay it. Illitch hasn't really budged from his position on ticket pricing and especially intangibles like food and memorabililia, which at The Joe is way overpriced. So where in the past, most people would just put up with it and pay it, now they stay home and watc the game on FSN because they can't afford it. This also goes against something else Cherry said when he said that the Tigers, Pistons, and Lions weren't having trouble selling out. Well, #1 they don't charge as much as the Wings do #2 it's easier to fill up a seat in a 44,000 park when you can get a ticket for $9 than when your going to a game at a 19,000 person arena and tickets start at $25 (and those are nosebleed)

Detroit is still die-hard about the Wings and always will be. I find it hard to believe that the team not to long ago had 350 consecutive sellouts at the Joe and now all of a sudden the fans don't care anymore. If Illitch drops the price, or whenever the economy recovers, the fans will come back.

Not much to talk about. Pens and Wings seem to be on a collision course.

I don't want to speak too soon, because we've got two tough games ahead of us in Dallas., but Pittsburgh vs. Detroit would make for an outstanding Stanley Cup Finals. I would imagine the NHL and NBC also agree with me.

I noticed Don Cherry on ESPN the other night saying that the economy has nothing to do with the poor attendance, but I disagree. I think it's a large factor.

People outside the state, I don't think really realize how tough Michigan has it right now. It's one of the states hardest hit by the foreclosure crisis and it's taking a huge beating in the auto industry. You've had thousands of auto workers who have been laid off in Metro Detroit. You also had many auto workers who were Red Wings season ticket holders. When the layoffs started happening and money is getting tight, many of those autoworkers simply didn't renew their ticket packages.

Now the organization can take some blame for the empty seats as well. Season ticket prices have continued to be high despite the fact that many people in the region now can't afford to pay it. Illitch hasn't really budged from his position on ticket pricing and especially intangibles like food and memorabililia, which at The Joe is way overpriced. So where in the past, most people would just put up with it and pay it, now they stay home and watc the game on FSN because they can't afford it. This also goes against something else Cherry said when he said that the Tigers, Pistons, and Lions weren't having trouble selling out. Well, #1 they don't charge as much as the Wings do #2 it's easier to fill up a seat in a 44,000 park when you can get a ticket for $9 than when your going to a game at a 19,000 person arena and tickets start at $25 (and those are nosebleed)

Detroit is still die-hard about the Wings and always will be. I find it hard to believe that the team not to long ago had 350 consecutive sellouts at the Joe and now all of a sudden the fans don't care anymore. If Illitch drops the price, or whenever the economy recovers, the fans will come back.

Thats what I thought; unfortunately. The economy is a killer. What are the Pistons prices like in comparison?

I know both the Celtics and Bruins sell $10 tickets for the last couple of rows at the Garden. The lower bowl is a joke pricing wise, but at least you can get in the building for short money.

I understand the Pistons play out in the suburbs but it seems odd that they are banging out the Palace on a regular basis.

So the Rangers get eliminated, and all of a sudden this thread is a complete ghost town.

Why bother Mav?

Both series were pretty much over before they began. I thought Pittsburgh-Philadelphia was going to be better, but after Game 2 last nights its over. Just waiting for the Stanley Cup now.

Sorry Mav I barely had time to watch the Rangers when they were on. I just took my last final this morning and had 3 last week and combine that with other stuff I've been real busy.

I'll be home from school tomorrow night though so I should be able to catch more games then.

Thats what I thought; unfortunately. The economy is a killer. What are the Pistons prices like in comparison?

I know both the Celtics and Bruins sell $10 tickets for the last couple of rows at the Garden. The lower bowl is a joke pricing wise, but at least you can get in the building for short money.

I understand the Pistons play out in the suburbs but it seems odd that they are banging out the Palace on a regular basis.

Honestly, I'm not sure about the Pistons prices. I haven't been to a game since Dumars and Thomas were playing together.

The Pistons play out in Auburn Hills which is a suburb a ways north of the Detroit area, near Rochester Hills. A little more affluent up there, so you have a lot more people from the northern suburbs who can afford the game rather than many of the people who live closer to the city. Would be about a 45min-1hr drive with traffic from downtown Detroit to Auburn Hills

Sorry Mav I barely had time to watch the Rangers when they were on. I just took my last final this morning and had 3 last week and combine that with other stuff I've been real busy.

I'll be home from school tomorrow night though so I should be able to catch more games then.

No worries man. I was just giving everyone a hard time. Good luck on those finals. Last year was my senior year of college so I know how crazy finals week can be. I had two finals the day of my graduation. (f'ing sucked).

No worries man. I was just giving everyone a hard time. Good luck on those finals. Last year was my senior year of college so I know how crazy finals week can be. I had two finals the day of my graduation. (f'ing sucked).

Yeah I wasn't too worried about it. I'm real glad to be done with mine though. I had my math test this morning and took it on about 4 hours of sleep.

And you had finals on your graduation day? Wow that blows pretty hard man.

You couldn't watch the Ranger games that take 2 and a half hours? I think some people study way too hard! ;)

Haha hardly, I said I barely had time to watch the Rangers but I still did for sure.

And I haven't been studying the whole time, I mean what do you think I was doing this weekend? lol

Yeah I wasn't too worried about it. I'm real glad to be done with mine though. I had my math test this morning and took it on about 4 hours of sleep.

And you had finals on your graduation day? Wow that blows pretty hard man.

The graduation was on a friday. I had a final on that thursday (which is the same day my family flew in) and then had to study for two exams for a European Union class and a Sociology class. Took those and then graduated 3 hours later.

Based on what's happened so far in the East, the Flyers can start making tee time reservations.

The Stars can start making tee time reservations to join the Rangers on the golf course too.

At least Sean Avery won't be there. Racist piece of sh*t will hopefully be in a hospital bed becoming addicted to painkillers.

The Stars can start making tee time reservations to join the Rangers on the golf course too.

At least Sean Avery won't be there. Racist piece of sh*t will hopefully be in a hospital bed becoming addicted to painkillers.

Yeah, welcome to the real world where a spleen doesn't exactly keep you layed up in the hospital for weeks. He was released last Sunday.

Oh and I'm sure the Devils gave the Rangers plenty of tips. After all, they had a week and a half head start on the courses. Hopefully Brodeur let Avery and Co. know where the best places are to play are.

That S was bootleg. You may be a RedWings homer but you have to admit it.

What's worse, one butt-end or Marty Turco repeatedly punching Tomas Holmstrom in the back of the head and slashing his legs?

Ozzie could be a communist sympathizer for all I care the way he's playing right now. He's a man possesssed.

The FLYERS will win tonight in Philadelphia and make a series out of this mess!

Down their best two defensemen and with no momentum? It will be awfully hard. I don't put it past them, but the Flyers couldn't even win with a disallowed goal that should have counted for the Penguins had last game. I suspect it will be much closer like Game 2, but I think the Pens are just too good right now. Unless Biron stands on his head, which he has yet to do this series, it is pretty much a forgone conclusion.

Archived