The Official Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Mavrik

:bag:

Thank you for validating my point. After sand bagging their finish to avoid having to play Washington and a red hot (and significantly better than Crosby) Alexander Ovechkin, by your own admission, the Penguins "routed" vastly inferior talent en route to the Eastern Conference berth in the Stanley Cup Finals. Therefore, with your aforementioned admission as substantial proof, the Penguins "routing" of their opponents in the first three rounds speaks highly of their substandard competition versus their overall superiority. You're basically saying that the Penguins are the class nerd who feels rough and tough every so often by picking on the kids in the wheelchairs.

Spot on!!!

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boy Jade, for someone who is not jealous of the Penguins, you sure have a lot to say about them.
Yeah you are so right, I wish it was my team getting bashed, exposed and embarresed in the finals.

I want the best diver in the league on my team so we can get all the calls and national coverage when nobody is watching.

Then we could play in an old oprea house igloo in a dive of a town where nobody shows up unless we are contenders, go bankrupt and recieve favor from the league.

The real hockey world would know we are lead by a PU$$Y bitch, and anybody with an actual view of reality in regards to the officiating will be called jelous, by us fair weather rejects.

Sounds great, good luck tonight, I will see you tomorrow we may actually be able to celebrate a goal finally in game 3.

Crosby isn't even the most complete player on his team. NO WAY is he anywhere close to Ovechkin.
Tell me about it, that chick Gina on her team is more complete, she tries to use here heels on guys. She just does not flop on her back like a 2 dollar hoe. :P

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08149/885300-61.stm

Penguins Notebook: Therrien: Wings' obstruction pays off

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Detroit Red Wings gave up the fewest number of goals in the NHL during the regular season, so their defensive prowess should not come as a surprise to the Penguins. Not having faced the Red Wings in the regular season, the Penguins did not know exactly how the Red Wings accomplished that feat.

Scouting report

Matchup: Detroit Red Wings at Penguins, 8:08 p.m. today, Mellon Arena.

Series: Red Wings lead, 2-0.

TV, radio: WPXI-TV; WXDX-FM (105.9).

Probable goaltenders: Marc-Andre Fleury for Penguins. Chris Osgood for Red Wings.

Penguins: Have lost at least three games in row in each of past four series that ended their season. ... D Brooks Orpik registered 12 of team's 64 hits during Games 1 and 2. ... Have gone consecutive games without power-play goal for first time in these playoffs.

Red Wings: Are 5-3 on road in these playoffs. ... C Kris Draper is 23-14 on faceoffs in series. ... Eight players had at least one point in first two games.

Hidden stat: Detroit is 12-1 in playoffs when scoring the first goal.

But Penguins coach Michel Therrien has concluded that generating scoring chances against Detroit is hard to do because of their ability to subtly obstruct the opponent.

For the second day in a row, Therrien credited Detroit for its ability to shut down his team, but he also made clear that the Red Wings blur the line between outstanding defense and breaking the rules, specifically the way their players impede the progress of the Penguins to the puck.

"This is a team that it's tough to generate offense with the obstruction that they're doing," Therrien said yesterday after the Penguins optional skate at Mellon Arena. "But you know what? They're doing it the right way. It's like there's a dotted line. Sometimes, they cross it a little bit."

Therrien said there would be no major changes with his team's strategy. He said the Penguins merely need to execute the game plan better and create confusion in front of goalie Chris Osgood, who has kept the Penguins off the scoreboard through the first six periods of the series while also managing to draw two penalties.

"You need to score dirty goals," Therrien said.

"The tic-tac-toe plays, sometimes it's going to happen. But most of the time you're going to put the puck to the net and crash the net. This is where it's tough for us because Osgood, like we saw yesterday on [Ryan] Malone ... he's there to go to the front of the net. If he's going to go at the players and fall down, it's tough to score dirty goals."

Missed opportunities

It has become apparent that the Red Wings are a tough team to beat when they score the first goal. They are 12-1 in the playoffs when scoring first and 2-3 when the opponent scores first.

The Penguins have had early chances in each of the first two games to get the first goal but have not capitalized on their opportunities. They had four power plays in the first period of Game 1 and came up empty, and Malone missed the net on a point-blank shot a little more than a minute into Game 2.

"It was one of those chances you can't afford to miss," Malone said.

"Sid [Crosby] drew two guys, and I was trying to get open. I realized I was below the hash marks, almost on top of the crease, so I figured if I took control of the puck [Osgood] would poke check it. I just tried to one-time it on net and I fanned on it."

Presumably, the Penguins could force the Red Wings out of their defensive-minded approach if they can score first in Game 3.

"It would be nice to get the first goal, to see if they play different," Malone said. "We have to stay positive and believe in each other."

Crosby said the Penguins have to capitalize on their opportunities when presented.

"Obviously, it's frustrating," Crosby said.

"You always want to score. It's the nature of the playoffs. You're not going to get a lot of chances, but, when you do get them, you have to make sure you put them in. As far as strategy goes, I think it just comes down to execution. You just need to make sure when you get those chances, you bury them. That's really what it comes down to. We just need to make sure we put the puck in the net."

It's no fun

The Red Wings have frustrated the Penguins by keeping the puck away from their playmakers. They have done this by making precise passes out of their zone, preventing the Penguins from creating turnovers via their forechecking.

"We haven't had the puck enough," veteran winger Gary Roberts said. "That's a credit to the way they've played. They've played exceptionally well against us defensively and not giving us very much up the middle. We have to get pucks to the outside and find a way to get more scoring chances."

Roberts said the style and execution of the Red Wings can have a demoralizing effect on players when things don't go well.

"It's not a lot of fun," he said. "You feel like you're chasing the puck all game. You use up so much energy trying to find the puck, and, by the time you get it, you're exhausted."

Slap shots

The Penguins are encouraging fans to wear white to Games 3 and 4 tonight and Saturday. White T-shirts and towels will be distributed at the door. ... For those who do not have a ticket to the game, the Penguins will show the NBC broadcast on a big screen outside Gate 3. ... Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Petr Sykora, Marian Hossa, Sergei Gonchar, Brooks Orpik and Marc-Andre Fleury did not participate in the optional practice. ...Crosby took the ice with backup goalie Ty Conklin for about 20 minutes before practice to work on some individual drills.

Crosby isn't even the most complete player on his team. NO WAY is he anywhere close to Ovechkin.

Right. Crosby has actually shown up for the finals. Evgeni Malkin is no where to be seen.

Crosby had Erik Christenson and Colby Armstrong on his line when he won the MVP.

And jade, if your team was in the Finals, which they aren't because they had their backsides handed to them by the Pens, they would be losing even worse.

I heard that Sidney Crosby is on the injury report for Game 3 with a Yeast Infection.

Penguins fans are showing their true colors and the Penguins themselves are realizing that, gasp, they're not as good as advertised. Quit your crying already for Christ's sake. The Penguins are getting outplayed in every aspect of the game and if you knew $hit about hockey you'd realize it.

You're a Jets fan, you should be able to immediately recognize a choke job when you see one. The Jets have been doing it for 40 years.

he was honestly on tv here in pittsburgh last night crying about it, literally crying that this next game is a big one, a real big one.

Right. Crosby has actually shown up for the finals. Evgeni Malkin is no where to be seen.

Crosby had Erik Christenson and Colby Armstrong on his line when he won the MVP.

And jade, if your team was in the Finals, which they aren't because they had their backsides handed to them by the Pens, they would be losing even worse.

How can you lose worse tha back to back shut outs??? Please you are being out scored 7 to ZIP!!!

The Wings are probably focusing on shutting down gina not cindy and that is why it seams cindy's TIT$ are bigger.

I would watch the replays, but I don't care and I don't like broads in black and yellow.

How can you lose worse tha back to back shut outs??? Please you are being out scored 7 to ZIP!!!

The Wings are probably focusing on shutting down gina not cindy and that is why it seams cindy's **** a re bigger.

I would watch the replays, but I don't care and I don't like broads in black and yellow.

to be completely fair, malkin has been playin like crap for a few series now actually. he has totally disappeared.

he was honestly on tv here in pittsburgh last night crying about it, literally crying that this next game is a big one, a real big one.
He cries like a bitch, dives like a bitch, and gary bettman sucks is ass like a bitch.

I bet all the calls go there way the rest of the series, and they still get whooped like the disgraceful bitches they are!!!

For those of you keeping track, the Pittsburgh Penguins haven't scored a goal on the Detroit Red Wings since Monday, December 12th, 2005 in a 3-1 loss at Joe Louis Arena. Ironically the last time the two teams played prior to this series, Saturday, October 7th, 2006, the Red Wings shutout the Penguins 2-0 at the Igloo.

I'm just sayin.......

Therrien isn't wrong. The Wings have been obstructing and flopping and the Penguins aren't getting their share of calls. Watch the games, it's fairly obvious.

I want to hear you say this the next time Sidney Crosby dives, lies on the ground for five minutes and gets a call.

I want to hear you say this the next time Sidney Crosby dives, lies on the ground for five minutes and gets a call.

When's the last time that happened? I expect you to be able to point it out since you think it apparently happens so often and since you have to much knowledge of the situation.

I would say something about Rangers fans but I know that you guys are just a few idiot clowns that aren't real hockey fans and don't represent the teams' whole fan base. What kind of hockey fan doesn't watch the finals? Oh right, one that isn't really a hockey fan. You're trolls, thats all you are. You guys aren't adding anything at all to this board but flaming and ignorance. You aren't watch the games, so none of you should be saying **** because you don't know wtf you're talking about. Specifically Jade Green, DaBrick Wall, Strangelove, and the guy whose only contribution to this thread has been his bashing of the city of Pittsburgh. None of you have added anything to this board that the common immature 10 year old non-hockey fan couldn't. Please stop spamming so the rest of us can stop wasting our time with you.

m9qTFhRsnvY

So you're saying the last time it happened was over a year ago? That said, you're not the one I asked. Why don't you make your 5th post in the thread and show us that NHL video game clip of crosby for a 3rd time?

Therrien isn't wrong. The Wings have been obstructing and flopping and the Penguins aren't getting their share of calls. Watch the games, it's fairly obvious.

Just because your coach cries about it doesn't mean it's true.

Besides, even if they were, as you said: They didn't call a penalty on Roberts for punching Franzen in the head, so you said that was a non-issue. Well, they're not calling the Wings for obstruction. So doesn't that make it a non-issue as well?

I would say something about Rangers fans but I know that you guys are just a few idiot clowns that aren't real hockey fans and don't represent the teams' whole fan base. What kind of hockey fan doesn't watch the finals? Oh right, one that isn't really a hockey fan. You're trolls, thats all you are. You guys aren't adding anything at all to this board but flaming and ignorance. You aren't watch the games, so none of you should be saying **** because you don't know wtf you're talking about. Specifically Jade Green, DaBrick Wall, Strangelove, and the guy whose only contribution to this thread has been his bashing of the city of Pittsburgh. None of you have added anything to this board that the common immature 10 year old non-hockey fan couldn't. Please stop spamming so the rest of us can stop wasting our time with you.

Well said Sharrow. The posters you mentioned above seem to get more pleasure out of seeing an opposing team lose than seeing their own team win.

Its sad.

What the fock do you know you, maybe if both teams could score I'd watch the games. I rather enjoy my social life than watch the crybaby penqueens get destroyed by the Red Wings, and the versus coverage sucks. Not my fault bettman ruined hockey and ot's not worth watching once your teams out any more. I watch the NHL network when I feel like it and get all the highlights of that garbage final, when ever I feel like it. sorry but there are no more realer hockey fans that a Rangers fan, only an idiot would accuses us of not being a real fan because we chose not to be force fed the I love cindy show versus puts together. No body is spamming you, grow some balls or get the fock out of dodge.

Well said Sharrow. The posters you mentioned above seem to get more pleasure out of seeing an opposing team lose than seeing their own team win.

Its sad.

Right, another cluless idiot chimes in, what the fock do you know.

Way to go Swallow you got the king front runner speaking up for you.

Congrats.

Just because your coach cries about it doesn't mean it's true.

Besides, even if they were, as you said: They didn't call a penalty on Roberts for punching Franzen in the head, so you said that was a non-issue. Well, they're not calling the Wings for obstruction. So doesn't that make it a non-issue as well?

Of course not, every thing is one sided only your guys can act and get over looked for calls.

Don't you know this is cindy's league.

Well, I actually live in ****tsburgh and honestly no one here knows anything about hockey. They barely even mentioned the penguins until they were a game from the cup finals. I don't know about Rangers fans as I have never lived in NYC but this is about as bad of a hockey town as it gets. I guess its about the same as steelers fans though, which also know nothing about their sport.

On top of that, they are about as pompous a sport fan as you can get and honestly thought that the penguins were going to roll over the red wings. Its funny to see their faces now...

Well, I actually live in ****tsburgh and honestly no one here knows anything about hockey. They barely even mentioned the penguins until they were a game from the cup finals. I don't know about Rangers fans as I have never lived in NYC but this is about as bad of a hockey town as it gets. I guess its about the same as steelers fans though, which also know nothing about their sport.

On top of that, they are about as pompous a sport fan as you can get and honestly thought that the penguins were going to roll over the red wings. Its funny to see their faces now...

Doesn't change the fact that the only thing you've added to the thread is your bashing of the city and its fans.

They are the most fair weather fans in all of sports, and everybody knows this.

They actually might make debbie fans look good, and that is next to impossible.

Wrong again swallow, we added how horrible of a final it is, when only one team scores.

How would you know how horrible it is considering you haven't watched it? Anyway, did someone say something about spamming? You're proving everything that I said about you true. And I can't say that I'm surprised.

Archived