Jets Trade Robertson To Broncos

Vudu

Conditional '09 pick

I'm glad for us and for D'Rob that he'll be playing in Denver this year. I just wish we had gottened "something" to show for him in this years draft. After all Denver will have D'Rob in their lineup this year.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isnt it already announced that its only a 2009 conditional pick?

I haven't seen any official announcement. Hell, I don't think they have even "officially" announced the trade. All have seen is Cimini reporting the "low down" based upon what his "sources say". No offense to Cimini, but I don't trust any of it. Rampant speculation. It'll probably wind up being an '09 conditional, but that's not for sure. Remember how many different versions of the Vilma trade were announced before we go the real deal.

I haven't seen any official announcement. Hell, I don't think they have even "officially" announced the trade. All have seen is Cimini reporting the "low down" based upon what his "sources say". No offense to Cimini, but I don't trust any of it. Rampant speculation. It'll probably wind up being an '09 conditional, but that's not for sure. Remember how many different versions of the Vilma trade were announced before we go the real deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3365432

The New York Jets traded defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson to the Denver Broncos on Thursday. The compensation to the Jets is a conditional 2009 draft choice, believed to be a midround pick, dependent upon Robertson's playing time.

"It's a great opportunity," said agent Hadley Engelhard, who's hoping to finalize a new deal for Robertson with the Broncos on Friday, according to The Associated Press. "He's got the chance to showcase his abilities."

The two teams have been talking about a trade since mid-March. Earlier this month, New York gave Denver permission to talk to Robertson about a new contract and the two sides had agreed on a restructured contract. Yet the Broncos and Jets continued to plow toward agreeing on a compensation package and came to an accord Thursday.

Robertson joins defensive end Jared Allen and cornerback Pacman Jones as veterans who were traded this week for draft picks.

This is the second time the Jets have agreed to trade Robertson this offseason. In March, they had a deal in principle with Cincinnati for fourth- and fifth-round picks. But Robertson failed the Bengals' physical because of a knee issue. The Broncos gave Robertson a physical in March and the team was satisfied with his knees since he played all last season without any major problems.

Robertson will join second-year player Marcus Thomas as the likely starting defensive tackles in Denver as it retools its defensive line for the third time in four years. Robertson was made expendable by the Jets because he doesn't fit in the team's 3-4 scheme.

Had the Jets not been able to deal Robertson, he likely would have been cut in June. He was due a $3 million bonus in June and has salary cap number of about $11 million for this season. Robertson, 26, was the No. 4 overall draft pick in the 2003 draft out of Kentucky. He had 57 tackles for the Jets last season.

It seems to be official now.

Broncos trade for Robertson

By Mike Klis

The Denver Post

Article Last Updated: 04/24/2008 04:28:58 PM MDT

20080424__51314061DB_D021081046~p1_200.jpg Former New York Jets defensive lineman Dewayne Robertson will likely wear a Broncos jersey next season. (Getty Images North America | Doug Benc)

There is a knee that can't pass a physical and a player who can play when others can't.

Defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson may have a knee no doctor worth his job would clear. But that hasn't stopped him from playing in every game the last two years and all but three games in his five-year NFL career.

The Broncos decided Robertson was worth the risk. Woeful in stopping the run last season, the Broncos hope they moved toward solving their problem Thursday when they acquired Robertson from the New York Jets in exchange for a conditional 2009 draft pick.

The Broncos had been offering a seventh-round pick for Robertson, but the Jets were hoping better based on the defensive tackle's playing time. If Robertson's knee doesn't

2008 NFL Draft

<LI class=link>Find player profiles, position reports, draft dirt, team needs and much more <LI class=link>Find daily buzz, best prospects by position, team-by-team needs and prospect reports <LI class=blog>Make your draft-day predictions official on the All Things Broncos blog <LI class=link>Compare notes with a mock draft from Forecaster <LI class=link>Compare notes with a mock draft from Sports Network <LI class=video>Follow pick-by-pick announcements and scouting reports for all players drafted <LI class=link>Find Mike Klis' list of 10 players the Broncos would love to have among their draft picks
  • Find Klis' breakdown of the top of the crop, overrated, sleepers, Broncos' needs, teams with needs and area prospects

make it out of training camp, the Broncos would not have to surrender a pick.

Robertson was due a $3 million roster bonus in June and a $6.8 million salary but sources said the Broncos already have the parameters in place for a restructured, multiyear contract. In the new deal, Robertson, who was expected to be released by the Jets in lieu of his bonus in June, would receive around $4 million guarantee, with most to be paid in 2009.

Robertson's knee condition was enough for the Cincinnati Bengals to void a trade earlier this offseason. Yet, he has been on the field for approximately 65 percent of the Jets' plays the past two seasons.

Robertson, 26, addresses a major positional need for the Broncos two days before the NFL Draft that is considered questionable once projected top 10 picks Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis come off the board.

Acquiring Robertson and receivers Darrell Jackson and Samie Parker in the past week is another indication the Broncos are pointing towards selecting an offensive tackle with their first-round draft pick, which is currently positioned at No. 12 overall. Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com.

DRob didn't fit here, I never wanted him, and I'm glad he and his fat cap number are gone...

But I'm not thrilled with waiting until '09 for compensation. A low pick this year and a conditional pick next year made more sense. I liked that report. If this latest report is true, I hope the playing time incentives are pretty easy to reach, and that anything not knee-related that keeps him out of action doesn't count against the Jets' pick.

DRob didn't fit here, I never wanted him, and I'm glad he and his fat cap number are gone...

But I'm not thrilled with waiting until '09 for compensation. A low pick this year and a conditional pick next year made more sense. I liked that report. If this latest report is true, I hope the playing time incentives are pretty easy to reach, and that anything not knee-related that keeps him out of action doesn't count against the Jets' pick.

I would have loved more also. I'm sure so would Mangini & Tannenbaum. With a looming cap # of over $11M and an upcoming $3M roster bonus, we really didn't have any leverage & are lucky to get anything at all. 31 other teams know there was zero chance of DRob being on the Jets roster on June 2nd even if we received no trade offers.

I hear you. But after getting an offer of a 4th and 6th from Cincy, I was hoping for at least a 6th this year to go with a conditional pick next year. Seems like a couple teams were interested...

Oh well. Like I said, I'm just happy to have him off the books. At least they have the room to do a couple more contracts now.

I hear you. But after getting an offer of a 4th and 6th from Cincy, I was hoping for at least a 6th this year to go with a conditional pick next year. Seems like a couple teams were interested...

Oh well. Like I said, I'm just happy to have him off the books. At least they have the room to do a couple more contracts now.

A couple of teams were interested. And they'd probably be interested in having him come in for them next year. But since so few were in the running, they didn't want to give up immediate & certain draft picks when the bidding war would only be among 2 or 3 teams total; none of which are gung-ho about him anyway.

I think DRob's only getting like $4M guaranteed on whatever deal he's signing with Denver. Pretty far cry from the $18.8M in salary & roster bonuses he was scheduled to get from the Jets from 2008-2009.

You think that was a dumb contract? So do I. That's why you don't trade up into the top 5 unless you already have a deal in place with the player (which is technically impossible). Trade a high 1st and a 2nd, or two 1sts, or whatever, and then the player's agent has your team by the short hairs. You HAVE to give in after trading two high draft picks (or more) for him.

You think that was a dumb contract? So do I. That's why you don't trade up into the top 5 unless you already have a deal in place with the player (which is technically impossible). Trade a high 1st and a 2nd, or two 1sts, or whatever, and then the player's agent has your team by the short hairs. You HAVE to give in after trading two high draft picks (or more) for him.

I was livid when they made that trade. The money and picks that Bradway threw away on DRob and Justa McGuy drove me nuts. I firmly agree with you about trading up into the top five. But you know, I can see them doing it again this year.

I was livid when they made that trade. The money and picks that Bradway threw away on DRob and Justa McGuy drove me nuts. I firmly agree with you about trading up into the top five. But you know, I can see them doing it again this year.

For who..and with what we do not have a lot of picks this year. If I am not mistaken we do not ahve a third round pick at all.

For who..and with what we do not have a lot of picks this year. If I am not mistaken we do not ahve a third round pick at all.

If they're in love with McFadden, they could look to get ahead of the Raiders. If they're in love with Gholston, they could look to get ahead of the Chiefs. They've already traded a couple players for '09 picks, I'm sure they could package their #1 with an '09 pick to move up. I'd be sick if they traded their second rounder.

It's not what I want them to do, but they've demonstrated that they're willing to target a specific player and go after him.

Here’s the lowdown on the Dewayne Robertson trade: Sources say the Jets do not receive a pick in this weekend’s draft. They will get a conditional late-rounder in 2009, which can go as high as a second rounder based on playing time. Robertson, who had two years left on his Jets deal, signed a new 5 year contract with the Broncos. No word on the amount, but you can bet it’s a lot less than his Jets money.

Second rounder? not bad..

Archived