Official Jets UDFA Thread

bear

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So why didnt this guy go to a D1 school?

He obviously was good enough, given that he was so dominant in D2. So whats the catch here?

Whens the last time you've seen a successful white NFL running back?

Whens the last time you've seen a successful white NFL running back?

Mike Alstott. Dude was a beast. Even though he was usually listed as a FB he often lined up as a single back or with another FB lead blocking for the Bucs. I see where you're coming from though. White dude who runs the football will get converted to FB and that's only if he's big enough. Woodhead wasn't.

Yep. Alstott was a Fullback and he was much bigger than this Woodhead guy. 5'7 1/2 white Running Back? You can't be serious.

Then again, I'm sure he'll get picked up by the Giants after we release him in August and have a couple of 100 yard games.

This is the guy that was on ESPN first take; he has an interesting background; escaped from Liberia, reminds me of a bigger Cedric Houston.

YES!!!!!! I really wanted them to pick up this guy. He is MUCH bigger then Cedric. He is actually more of a FB than a HB but he can run the ball. This guy could be a beast in short yardage IF he makes the team. I wanted them to take him in the 7th but this is even better. Nice pickup!

Awesome. This is who I wanted with our 7th round pick & was pissed they passed on him.

Let this beast learn from Richardson for a year. Not too shabby for a goal-line/short-yardage back with Richardson in there either.

I either wanted him or Marcus Monk in the 7th. Monk got picked by the Bears so at least we got Caulcrick.

I either wanted him or Marcus Monk in the 7th. Monk got picked by the Bears so at least we got Caulcrick.

Yeah, Monk was another one.

In the 7th, the only thing I don't like are guys who have nothing going for them physically. They should either be big for a position where mass is usually an advantage (OL, DL, FB), or height/speed (WR, RB, CB, KR). Most of them don't figure to have NFL talent anyway, but they might be able to get by on physical attributes that are not teachable.

So yeah, I liked Monk that late. Caulcrick too. The RT we took qualifies. Even Derrick Ward when we took him. What I don't like are mid-sized/slower OLB'er types, undersized linemen, shrimpy/slow WR's, or low-talent/slower CB's whose upside is contributing on special teams for one season.

Woodhead's an interesting prospect, but I think this kid has a significantly better chance to make the team. I can see Stacy Tutt getting cut long before Leon Washington.

LW is not going anywhere - this year at least. That would be insane. I'd like to see Tutt stay too. I guess this could be a good problem to have ... too many RB's. Woodhead will probably be on the practice squad if anything.

Yeah, Monk was another one.

In the 7th, the only thing I don't like are guys who have nothing going for them physically. They should either be big for a position where mass is usually an advantage (OL, DL, FB), or height/speed (WR, RB, CB, KR). Most of them don't figure to have NFL talent anyway, but they might be able to get by on physical attributes that are not teachable.

So yeah, I liked Monk that late. Caulcrick too. The RT we took qualifies. Even Derrick Ward when we took him. What I don't like are mid-sized/slower OLB'er types, undersized linemen, shrimpy/slow WR's, or low-talent/slower CB's whose upside is contributing on special teams for one season.

:cheers:

He also ran a 4.7. Good for a FB. This at some 15-25 pounds heavier than most of the other FB's oin this class.

His 40-time doesn't mean anything to me (as a fullback). I wouldn't care if it was a 5.1. He'll never run 40 yards unless it's on special teams anyway. More important is how fast he runs 4 yards.

Just found out we picked up this guy. sounds interesting...

Jets ink rushing leader Woodhead to free-agent deal

OMAHA, Neb. -- Chadron State running back Danny Woodhead, the NCAA's career rushing leader, signed a free-agent deal with the New York Jets on Sunday night, according to the player and his agent.

Agent Chris Gittings said he and Woodhead thought the Jets were a good fit after teams passed on the 5-foot-7

His 40-time doesn't mean anything to me (as a fullback). I wouldn't care if it was a 5.1. He'll never run 40 yards unless it's on special teams anyway. More important is how fast he runs 4 yards.

In that case then a 40 inch vert means nothing as well?? It (40 time) was just another stat to show this guy has some natural tools. But does anyone know if he is a good receiver out of the backfield? I wouldn't mind seeing him one on one with a corner out there. It is a nice option to have.

In that case then a 40 inch vert means nothing as well?? It (40 time) was just another stat to show this guy has some natural tools. But does anyone know if he is a good receiver out of the backfield? I wouldn't mind seeing him one on one with a corner out there. It is a nice option to have.

Not true. A 40 inch vertical is indicative of a guy who may be able to leap over the pile in short yardage as well as he can drive through it.

Can't comment about his receiving skills, as it's doubtful he was asked to catch many passes. Caught 27 passes in 4 years.

Not true. A 40 inch vertical is indicative of a guy who may be able to leap over the pile in short yardage as well as he can drive through it.

Can't comment about his receiving skills, as it's doubtful he was asked to catch many passes. Caught 27 passes in 4 years.

I agree with that (vertical). But a good 40 indicates that if he gets beyond 4 yards he can spring some nice gains if he gets beyond the LOS.

I agree with that (vertical). But a good 40 indicates that if he gets beyond 4 yards he can spring some nice gains if he gets beyond the LOS.

Yeah, but a nice 40 for a guy his size (4.7-ish) isn't going to get him very far. Also we don't know if he picks up steam after 20-30 yards or if he's faster out of the blocks. Also if Jones & Leon (and whoever is 3rd - Chatman or the UDFA rookie) are healthy it's unlikely he'd be used as much more than a lead blocker or for short yardage on offense. So it's unlikely he'll get that opportunity more than once a season (if that).

But I just like the idea of having a mauler to groom behind Richardson instead of waiting until after Richardson retires to address it.

sorry it wasn't 40 it was 37 inches

http://www.emqb.com/emqb-interview-jehuu-caulcrick/

the vertical leap measures explosion - not just jumping ability.

If a guy 250 pounds explodes into any defender with a 37 inch vert, chances are that defender is going back.

This guy really could make the team folks.

37" is still damn impressive, particularly for a guy his size. Good point about the "explosion" measurement/factor to the vertical measurement.

Archived