Official Jets UDFA Thread

bear

what do you guys think about him?it`s been said that the jets may sign him. he runs a 4.3 40,he broke numerous ncaa records. i guess the knock is that he`s played in d2.can we use a guy like this?why didn`t he get drafted?(white running back:confused:)

this kids deserves a shot

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe, just maybe, because he's a Division I-AA white 5'7 Running Back? Maybe that might be a reason why he went undrafted. I don't know, call me crazy but I havn't seen a productive short white running back in some time now.

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) -- Chadron State running back Danny Woodhead, the NCAA's career rushing leader, signed a free-agent deal with the New York Jets on Sunday night, according to his agent.

Chris Gittings said he and Woodhead thought the Jets were a good fit after teams passed on the 5-foot-7 1/2 running back during the draft, mostly because of his size.

Woodhead ran for 7,962 yards in four seasons for Division II Chadron State in western Nebraska.

Terms of the deal for the two-time Harlon Hill Trophy winner were not immediately disclosed, and the Jets would not confirm the signing.

Jets | Woodhead signs

Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:52:02 -0700

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports the New York Jets have signed undrafted free-agent RB Danny Woodhead (Chadron State). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

He has the record for the most rushing yards in the NCAA.

He is a beast! What a steal

Chris Gittings said he and Woodhead thought the Jets were a good fit after teams passed on the 5-foot-7 1/2 running back during the draft, mostly because of his size.

Given the fact that the Jets have put Leon Washington to good use, it's obvious the Jets don't have a problem with small RB's. Doesn't seem like two small RB's would be a good fit, though.

I hope he makes it. His name'll look great on the back of a Jets jersey.

Jets | Woodhead signs

Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:52:02 -0700

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports the New York Jets have signed undrafted free-agent RB Danny Woodhead (Chadron State). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

He has the record for the most rushing yards in the NCAA.

He is a beast! What a steal

so Tannenbaum was the one he was talking to at the end of the draft, when they were talking about him smiling?

what do you guys think about him?it`s been said that the jets may sign him. he runs a 4.3 40,he broke numerous ncaa records. i guess the knock is that he`s played in d2.can we use a guy like this?why didn`t he get drafted?(white running back:confused:)

this kids deserves a shot

You called it. \:D/

Woodhead, who worked out in the weeks leading up to the draft in his hometown of North Platte, wasn't invited to February's scouting combine and wasn't among the 27 running backs drafted. But he was impressive during his pro day in Lincoln, running a 40-yard dash that was timed between 4.33 and 4.38 seconds, recording a vertical jump of 38 1/2 inches and bench-pressing 225 pounds 20 times.

By comparison:

The agent points out that Rutgers' Ray Rice is 5-foot-8 and 199 pounds. Rice ran a 4.42 in the 40 and had a vertical leap of 31 1/2 inches at the scouting combine - short of Woodhead's numbers at his pro day in Lincoln last month.

If he can adjust to the pro-game, he COULD just make the roster... Would we cut another RB to keep him?

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) -- Chadron State running back Danny Woodhead, the NCAA's career rushing leader, signed a free-agent deal with the New York Jets on Sunday night, according to his agent.

Woodhead ran for 7,962 yards in four seasons for Division II Chadron State in western Nebraska.

Terms of the deal for the two-time Harlon Hill Trophy winner were not immediately disclosed, and the Jets would not confirm the signing.

OMAHA, Neb. -- Chadron State running back Danny Woodhead, the NCAA's career rushing leader, signed a free-agent deal with the New York Jets on Sunday night, according to the player and his agent.

Agent Chris Gittings said he and Woodhead thought the Jets were a good fit after teams passed on the 5-foot-7

Interesting stats I saw on espn's board:

Woodhead

Height - 5'7"

Weight - 200

40 Time - 4.33

Vertical - 38"

Bench 225 - 20 times

Maurice Jones-Drew

Height - 5'7"

Weight - 212

40 Time - 4.39

Vertical - 36"

Bench 225 - 18 times

So why didnt this guy go to a D1 school?

He obviously was good enough, given that he was so dominant in D2. So whats the catch here?

Could be a good pickup. His size concerns me though....Also, he didnt have those numbers in Division 1 Football. I think the numbers would have been pretty different. but like I said, it could work.

Archived