Baker unhappy in NY Post

faba

IN A TIGHT SPOT

JETS' BAKER UNHAPPY WITH TREATMENT

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Click to enlarge

April 28, 2008 -- When the JetsNew York Jets t.gif made their aggressive trade-up move into the first round Saturday to draft tight end Dustin Keller, it left many people around the league scratching their heads in bewilderment.

Count Jets starting tight end Chris BakerChris Baker t.gif as one of them.

Baker, who recently left the Jets' offseason conditioning program in protest over the team's apparent unwillingness to renegotiate his below-market contract, told The Post in an exclusive interview yesterday that he wants to remain a Jet for the rest of his career, but finds it hard to believe the team wants him here based on the way he's being treated.

Unless the Jets re-do Baker's contract, he'll find himself as the third-highest paid tight end on the team despite the fact he's the starter and coming off the best season of his career with 41 catches.

The Jets signed veteran free agent Bubba Franks to a one-year, $1.65 million deal this offseason and, as the 30th draft pick in the first round, Keller will be signed to a contract that'll pay him even more than that.

Baker is due to make $683,000 this season.

What galls Baker most is the fact that, dating back two years, promises have been made to him by the Jets about reworking his contract. According to Baker's agent, Jonathan Feinsod, "Jets management has acknowledged that Chris has outperformed his contract."

"I'm angry about the fact that they said, 'We're going to do something for you,' and nothing's being done," Baker told The Post. "It doesn't make any sense. I've been here six years and I've always done what they've asked me to do."

Baker said he never wanted to leave the offseason conditioning program, but felt he had no choice.

"What else can I do?" he said. "I don't think I'm being unreasonable. I needed to let it be known that I'm not happy and nothing is being addressed with my contract."

Baker, in the third year of a four-year, $6.6 million contract, has quietly watched this offseason as the Jets have not only spent more than $140 million in free-agent contracts, but also taken care of a couple of his fellow veterans who were still under contract.

When receiver Laveranues ColesLaveranues Coles t.gif boycotted the beginning of the offseason program because he was unhappy with his contract status, the Jets appeased him by guaranteeing the final two years of his contract worth $11 million.

Then they re-signed safety Kerry Rhodes, who had a year remaining on his contract, to a new deal with $20 million in guarantees.

"I was happy for both of those guys because they're both deserving," Baker said.

One NFL source said the drafting of Keller was a clear "cat-and-mouse" move to avoid the Baker situation becoming similar to the messy Pete Kendall ordeal of a year ago.

"This is their insurance policy to make sure what happened with Pete doesn't happen again," the source told The Post. "They figured if they can get a high-round [draft pick] then they won't be stuck [like they were last year without a starting guard to replace Kendall]." Feinsod, a week ago yesterday, formally asked the Jets to trade Baker, a request that was declined.

IN A TIGHT SPOT

JETS' BAKER UNHAPPY WITH TREATMENT

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Click to enlarge

April 28, 2008 -- When the JetsNew York Jets t.gif made their aggressive trade-up move into the first round Saturday to draft tight end Dustin Keller, it left many people around the league scratching their heads in bewilderment.

Count Jets starting tight end Chris BakerChris Baker t.gif as one of them.

Baker, who recently left the Jets' offseason conditioning program in protest over the team's apparent unwillingness to renegotiate his below-market contract, told The Post in an exclusive interview yesterday that he wants to remain a Jet for the rest of his career, but finds it hard to believe the team wants him here based on the way he's being treated.

Unless the Jets re-do Baker's contract, he'll find himself as the third-highest paid tight end on the team despite the fact he's the starter and coming off the best season of his career with 41 catches.

The Jets signed veteran free agent Bubba Franks to a one-year, $1.65 million deal this offseason and, as the 30th draft pick in the first round, Keller will be signed to a contract that'll pay him even more than that.

Baker is due to make $683,000 this season.

What galls Baker most is the fact that, dating back two years, promises have been made to him by the Jets about reworking his contract. According to Baker's agent, Jonathan Feinsod, "Jets management has acknowledged that Chris has outperformed his contract."

"I'm angry about the fact that they said, 'We're going to do something for you,' and nothing's being done," Baker told The Post. "It doesn't make any sense. I've been here six years and I've always done what they've asked me to do."

Baker said he never wanted to leave the offseason conditioning program, but felt he had no choice.

"What else can I do?" he said. "I don't think I'm being unreasonable. I needed to let it be known that I'm not happy and nothing is being addressed with my contract."

Baker, in the third year of a four-year, $6.6 million contract, has quietly watched this offseason as the Jets have not only spent more than $140 million in free-agent contracts, but also taken care of a couple of his fellow veterans who were still under contract.

When receiver Laveranues ColesLaveranues Coles t.gif boycotted the beginning of the offseason program because he was unhappy with his contract status, the Jets appeased him by guaranteeing the final two years of his contract worth $11 million.

Then they re-signed safety Kerry Rhodes, who had a year remaining on his contract, to a new deal with $20 million in guarantees.

"I was happy for both of those guys because they're both deserving," Baker said.

One NFL source said the drafting of Keller was a clear "cat-and-mouse" move to avoid the Baker situation becoming similar to the messy Pete Kendall ordeal of a year ago.

"This is their insurance policy to make sure what happened with Pete doesn't happen again," the source told The Post. "They figured if they can get a high-round [draft pick] then they won't be stuck [like they were last year without a starting guard to replace Kendall]." Feinsod, a week ago yesterday, formally asked the Jets to trade Baker, a request that was declined.

WAAAHHHHHHHHH Want some french cries with your wine-i-ken?

Did or did he not sign a new contract in November? No article every acknowledges it which perplexes me about this.

That's not what perplexes me. What does is that Baker received half of his 2008 salary in advance, in late 2007 (which he was more than happy to accept). That never gets mentioned. All they say is he's making only $700K this year. Well it was $1.5M until the Jets gave him more than half of it before the prior season ended.

But they're athletes represented by agents. It's always going to be "What have you done for me lately?"

here's the thing. Chris Baker is underpaid for what most starting te's are getting and even on his own team. However, we can't help it that his agent signed a bad contract for him. As far as the Jets drafting a te. Big mistake in my opinion. Not because we drafted one, but because of where we drafted one. This will go down as being a bad pick just like drob. not because they were bad players, but because the team reached for them.

Baker is justified in feeling upset about this. He is not being unreasonable and he is handling this in a mature manner. He deserves to be getting more than Franks. That being said, he is under contract and I'm sick of players trying to get new contracts while they are under contract. They didn't draft Keller so that they didn't have another Kendall situation though. That is a retarded assumption. They drafted him because they felt he was better than the WR's in the draft (something that was shared by the rest of the league being that no WR's were taken in round 1) and they needed a playmaker. I guess they drafted Gholston in case Bryan Thomas walks out of camp too? Sports Columnists are idiots!

Baker is justified in feeling upset about this. He is not being unreasonable and he is handling this in a mature manner. He deserves to be getting more than Franks. That being said, he is under contract and I'm sick of players trying to get new contracts while they are under contract. They didn't draft Keller so that they didn't have another Kendall situation though. That is a retarded assumption. They drafted him because they felt he was better than the WR's in the draft (something that was shared by the rest of the league being that no WR's were taken in round 1) and they needed a playmaker. I guess they drafted Gholston in case Bryan Thomas walks out of camp too? Sports Columnists are idiots!

So should Mangold hold out of camp this year because he's only making $500K as a first round draft pick who's exceeded expectations?

So should Mangold hold out of camp this year because he's only making $500K as a first round draft pick who's exceeded expectations?

Baker has been here for 6 years and getting paid a low salary ... it's a different situation .... and I didn't say to pay him ... all I said was that he is justified in feeling that way.

Baker has been here for 6 years and getting paid a low salary ... it's a different situation .... and I didn't say to pay him ... all I said was that he is justified in feeling that way.

No, it's the same situation. They have both completed 2 years of a new contract. Baker was given $6.6M total over 4 years because no one else wanted him at the time. Mangold was given about $2M total more than that (over 5 years) because he was a first round draft pick.

Mangold has outplayed his contract (where they both average about $1.7M per year) a hell of a lot more than Baker has. Yet you don't see Mangold walking out of camp, holding out, & whining to the press. Nor are you likely to see it next year either.

He is not Justified ! He signed a contract ,NOW BE A MAN HONER IT! Cause when this season ends and you prove your worth more ,and they give you an extention then

you will be making more then the guy we signed yesterday ,so get over it,

I think Baker's contract is very fair for a 3rd string TE.

That's nice but as of now he is their #1 TE. Franks is the #2 and Keller is a WR/H-Back. Not saying they should pay him more as people seem to think I am, regardless of what I have actually said.

Not suprising that JI Insider Canizzaro, in yet another quest to make Mangini and Tannenbuam look bad, seeks out Baker instead of just writing a standard post-draft summary and review. Was Canizzaro the drunk guy with the hand-written JI hat in the 1st row of RCMH? Though that fellow, while round and drunk, wasn't nearly as roly poly as Canizzaro.

Baker signed a contract. He's a replacement value average TE, and overpaid as #3 on the TE depth chart. I don't totally understand the move, but if Baker isn't going to honor the contract which he signed and has already recieved substantial payment, get rid of him. No more Kendalls!

No, it's the same situation. They have both completed 2 years of a new contract. Baker was given $6.6M total over 4 years because no one else wanted him at the time. Mangold was given about $2M total more than that (over 5 years) because he was a first round draft pick.

Mangold has outplayed his contract (where they both average about $1.7M per year) a hell of a lot more than Baker has. Yet you don't see Mangold walking out of camp, holding out, & whining to the press. Nor are you likely to see it next year either.

Baker has been with the team since 2002. There is a difference. He's also not jumping up and down like a third grader like Boston Pete did last year. He is staging a quiet protest. That being said, I agree that he should still honor his contract. I just meant that he is justified in feeling the way he feels. I don't agree with extending contracts unless it's a guy like Rhodes that is still on his rookie contract and you cannot afford to lose the guy.

Not suprising that JI Insider Canizzaro, in yet another quest to make Mangini and Tannenbuam look bad, seeks out Baker instead of just writing a standard post-draft summary and review. Was Canizzaro the drunk guy with the hand-written JI hat in the 1st row of RCMH? Though that fellow, while round and drunk, wasn't nearly as roly poly as Canizzaro.

Baker signed a contract. He's a replacement value average TE, and overpaid as #3 on the TE depth chart. I don't totally understand the move, but if Baker isn't going to honor the contract which he signed and has already recieved substantial payment, get rid of him. No more Kendalls!

He is #1 on the Depth Chart! Keller is not a TE! Where does everyone get him as 3rd on the depth chart? Did Mangini make an announcement that Baker was being demoted that I missed? Again, I'm not saying to pay him as he is under contract but he is not 3rd on the depth chart. He is the only TE on the team that knows this Offense unless you count Kowalewski and Pociasck. He should play for the money he is getting paid and the Jets should hold him to his contract but getting rid of him is silly. He is not acting at all like Kendall. Kendall is a little girl!

here's the thing. Chris Baker is underpaid for what most starting te's are getting and even on his own team. However, we can't help it that his agent signed a bad contract for him. As far as the Jets drafting a te. Big mistake in my opinion. Not because we drafted one, but because of where we drafted one. This will go down as being a bad pick just like drob. not because they were bad players, but because the team reached for them.

It wasn't a reach - most draft "experts" had him going late 1st round or early 2nd. Now if you want to say you didn't like the move up, that's different. I didn't like giving up the 4th rounder myself, but in hindsight he would not have made it past the Giants.

The thing that gets me in the article is the agent crying about how Baker outperformed his contract and should get a new one. Well if he underperforms his contract, are you going to give any money back? Yea right.

If this is true, then he definitely has a point and a right to be pissed. Everyone saying, "He signed a contract, F* him!" need to look at that again. If "F* you!" was the Jets stance, then they needed to be professional enough to tell Baker and/or his agent that to his face. If they're *****-footing around with half-assed promises, they deserve to be called on it!

Having moved DRob, the Jets have money now to take care of it, and Baker's chosen a rather inconsequential time of year to "hold out" and make his point. Baker's a decent starting TE -the best the Jets have right now- and I don't think it would be too expensive to extend his current deal. I'd certainly sit down and talk. And at the same time, I'd listen to offers for him. No reason to let emotions get involved, just do the right thing for the franchise.

That might be a modest extension.

Baker has been with the team since 2002. There is a difference. He's also not jumping up and down like a third grader like Boston Pete did last year. He is staging a quiet protest. That being said, I agree that he should still honor his contract. I just meant that he is justified in feeling the way he feels. I don't agree with extending contracts unless it's a guy like Rhodes that is still on his rookie contract and you cannot afford to lose the guy.

How long he has been on the team is irrelevant. What matters is how long he is playing under his current contract: 2 years.

The Jets did him a hell of a lot more of a favor than he's doing them. NO ONE wanted him when he was a UFA. Then he came crawling back to us & we gave him a multi-million dollar deal anyway, which he took very eagerly. He could have signed a 1-year deal & took his chances after that. He didn't.

How long he has been on the team is irrelevant. What matters is how long he is playing under his current contract: 2 years.

The Jets did him a hell of a lot more of a favor than he's doing them. NO ONE wanted him when he was a UFA. Then he came crawling back to us & we gave him a multi-million dollar deal anyway, which he took very eagerly. He could have signed a 1-year deal & took his chances after that. He didn't.

A guy that has been through three regimes is just asking for some loyalty, but whatever ... cut him and let Kowalewski start. I'm done with this. We have a lot of good going on with this team now. No need to dwell on this any more. By the way, can you lose the Herm Edwards face? God do I hate that guy! :puke:

If this is true, then he definitely has a point and a right to be pissed. Everyone saying, "He signed a contract, F* him!" need to look at that again. If "F* you!" was the Jets stance, then they needed to be professional enough to tell Baker and/or his agent that to his face. If they're *****-footing around with half-assed promises, they deserve to be called on it!

Having moved DRob, the Jets have money now to take care of it, and Baker's chosen a rather inconsequential time of year to "hold out" and make his point. Baker's a decent starting TE -the best the Jets have right now- and I don't think it would be too expensive to extend his current deal. I'd certainly sit down and talk. And at the same time, I'd listen to offers for him. No reason to let emotions get involved, just do the right thing for the franchise.

That might be a modest extension.

It seems like this front office makes a lot of promises to players and then blows them off ... unless you want to believe that Baker is part of a player conspiracy to make things up about them. I tend to believe him since he is at least the 3rd or 4th player to make this claim now.

A guy that has been through three regimes is just asking for some loyalty, but whatever ... cut him and let Kowalewski start. I'm done with this. We have a lot of good going on with this team now. No need to dwell on this any more. By the way, can you lose the Herm Edwards face? God do I hate that guy! :puke:

He got some loyalty. From the Jets. When no one else wanted anything to do with him, THIS regime gave him a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract AND a legitimate chance to start.

He owes the Jets, not the other way around.

I have news for everybody. He is honoring his contract. The workouts are optional. He doesn't have to go. He isn't.

A voice of reason - this is not a Kendall bitch fest or a training camp holdout. He decided not to go to opytional workouts. I'm sure he is still working out and not sitting around eating bon bons and watching Jerry Springer.

A voice of reason - this is not a Kendall bitch fest or a training camp holdout. He decided not to go to opytional workouts. I'm sure he is still working out and not sitting around eating bon bons and watching Jerry Springer.

If it isn't a Kendall bitch fest then why did he just switch to Kendall's agent & then having that agent bad-mouth the Jets in the press over draft weekend?

Thing is, if he played the good soldier then the Jets might not have addressed his position so early (if at all) in the draft & he might have gotten what he wanted. Now there's little chance of that happening.

How is this a quiet protest? Since when is airing your dirty laundry out in the media a "quiet" protest? What Moore did was a quiet protest, and he got paid pretty quickly for it too. He just sat out one day iirc, and that's pretty much it. Kendall, Coles and Baker were not quiet. Kendall is gone, and we woulda sucked even with him, and we've definitely upgraded past him now. Coles got a compromise, and he always shoots his mouth off, but he at least produces enough to warrant keeping him I guess. Now Baker, he probably isn't even annoying enough to trade, and he doesn't make enough that we would get salary cap relief from cutting him. So I figure we will just keep him on the bench all year. He won't get traded and he won't be able to act all surprised if he did get traded.

Franks is better than him, and Keller has way more potential. Baker ****ed up.

All of you people slamming Baker need to get up off your ass and play the game. Baker is right. how the hell is the starter going to get paid less than the rookie. Baker is an amazing player. Were you all bitching about Baker when he was making one-handed catches in the corner of the endzone?

My point is i hate it how a lot of you are quick to turn on a player the moment he voices a concern. You think every player should just sit quietly and take it up the ass. How else he is supposed to go about letting people know of his situation? If he didnt speak up he would be getting shafted.

PAY THE MAN.

All of you people slamming Baker need to get up off your ass and play the game. Baker is right. how the hell is the starter going to get paid less than the rookie. Baker is an amazing player. Were you all bitching about Baker when he was making one-handed catches in the corner of the endzone?

My point is i hate it how a lot of you are quick to turn on a player the moment he voices a concern. You think every player should just sit quietly and take it up the ass. How else he is supposed to go about letting people know of his situation? If he didnt speak up he would be getting shafted.

PAY THE MAN.

Was Baker bitching when he ws an UFA and no body knocked on his door, and the jets gave him a contract that he freely signed.

The way thsi system works is that the high darft picks get an ungodly amount of money, monety they haven't earned yet. It is an unfair system, I admit.

But, players have the opportunity to earn money as Free Agents, on the open market.

And this is the contract that Baker garnered on that open market. He DID NOT have to sign it. He wasn't crying then.

Ever wonder why when players switch agents, they always want to do new contracts? The reason that is, is very simple. The ONLY way those new agents get any money is to renegotiate.

PAY THE MAN.

Oh, and if Baker signs a new contract, think he will give back the prorated share of signing bonus that he banked?

Players conveniently forget mid-contract that they fought hard for that guaranteed signing bonus money upfront, in lieu of no-guaranteed salary money, then have the audacity several years later crying about how low their base salary is.

Unbelievable.

Archived