some more Patsie hanky panky

afosomf

Tucker agrees with Walsh: Patriots practiced with IR players

ESPN.com news services

Updated: May 22, 2008, 8:01 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

Ross Tucker, a former offensive lineman who played for five teams in a seven-year NFL career, reiterated Thursday that he believes that New England used players on the injured reserve list in practices, which violates league rules.

Former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh, in a meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell last week, said that a Patriots player on injured reserve practiced when he wasn't allowed to in 2001. The NFL said it would investigate the claim.

Tucker continued to contend the Patriots used injured players illegally during an interview on ESPN's "NFL Live." He first wrote about it last week on SI.com.

Tucker told "NFL Live" that Patriots coach Bill Belichick will do anything he can "to get an advantage." He also added that using a player on injured reserve in practice was of "minimal" benefit.

Last Friday, in an article published on SI.com, Tucker wrote that: "I had heard the Patriots did this before I signed with them in 2005 and I saw it firsthand during my time there. I asked veteran receiver Troy Brown about it one time and he responded, 'Every team in the league does that.' I quickly let him know none of the three teams I played for previously had done so.

"Basically, the Patriots would put a player on IR, knowing it meant he couldn't play in a game or practice with the team for the remainder of the season. By skirting the rules and practicing him anyway, it allowed them to develop his skills during the year. A side benefit is that they were also able to give some of the older players less repetitions and, therefore, additional rest."

Goodell said the NFL would investigate the IR allegations, The Patriot Ledger of Quincy, Mass., reported.

Tucker played with Washington, Dallas, Buffalo, New England and Cleveland during his career. He currently writes for SI.com and hosts a show on Sirius satellite radio.

ESPN.com news services

Comment

Email

Print

Ross Tucker, a former offensive lineman who played for five teams in a seven-year NFL career, reiterated Thursday that he believes that New England used players on the injured reserve list in practices, which violates league rules.

Former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh, in a meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell last week, said that a Patriots player on injured reserve practiced when he wasn't allowed to in 2001. The NFL said it would investigate the claim.

Tucker continued to contend the Patriots used injured players illegally during an interview on ESPN's "NFL Live." He first wrote about it last week on SI.com.

Tucker told "NFL Live" that Patriots coach Bill Belichick will do anything he can "to get an advantage." He also added that using a player on injured reserve in practice was of "minimal" benefit.

Last Friday, in an article published on SI.com, Tucker wrote that: "I had heard the Patriots did this before I signed with them in 2005 and I saw it firsthand during my time there. I asked veteran receiver Troy Brown about it one time and he responded, 'Every team in the league does that.' I quickly let him know none of the three teams I played for previously had done so.

"Basically, the Patriots would put a player on IR, knowing it meant he couldn't play in a game or practice with the team for the remainder of the season. By skirting the rules and practicing him anyway, it allowed them to develop his skills during the year. A side benefit is that they were also able to give some of the older players less repetitions and, therefore, additional rest."

Goodell said the NFL would investigate the IR allegations, The Patriot Ledger of Quincy, Mass., reported.

Tucker played with Washington, Dallas, Buffalo, New England and Cleveland during his career. He currently writes for SI.com and hosts a show on Sirius satellite radio.

This "breaking news" was addressed a few weeks ago. The Pats suck and all of their accomplishments are bogus as they cheated.

This "breaking news" was addressed a few weeks ago. The Pats suck and all of their accomplishments are bogus as they cheated.

oh really...i must have been on the golf course.

didn't hear that a player corrobrated walsh until today

oh really...i must have been on the golf course.

didn't hear that a player corrobrated walsh until today

I can't believe the Pats had a player practice while he was on IR. That was a huge advantage for the Pats and explains why they win 10+ games every year.

Those cheating bastards.

I can't believe the Pats had a player practice while he was on IR. That was a huge advantage for the Pats and explains why they win 10+ games every year.

Those cheating bastards.

Dude, it's just another scoop of dirt to add to the pile. The Patriots are a complete *****ing disgrace to football.

Yep. Thats the truth. God forbid the Head Coach of the team I follow was part of that cheating coaching staff for 7 years.

Gainzo, I know it hurts. but you should just ignore these threads when they come up. they are indefensible.

Gainzo, I know it hurts. but you should just ignore these threads when they come up. they are indefensible.

I will ignore these threads when Jets fans admit that their head coach was part of the Pats "cheating" ways.

I will ignore these threads when Jets fans admit that their head coach was part of the Pats "cheating" ways.

He wasn't, when the decree came down he obeyed the new rule last year. but your hero didn't. that is a fact that just won't get through to you. just admit it.

He wasn't, when the decree came down he obeyed the new rule last year. but your hero didn't. that is a fact that just won't get through to you. just admit it.

Are you saying that the Pats taping signals from 2000 to 2006 was OK?

Are you saying that the Pats taping signals from 2000 to 2006 was OK?

No, the NFL did. but that doesn't make it right, for one. and Mangini was just a lowly assistant until 2005. the Pats won the super bowl in 2001-2003 and 2004. Mangini wasn't a key player until 2005. so what are you saying?

No, the NFL did. but that doesn't make it right, for one. and Mangini was just a lowly assistant until 2005. the Pats won the super bowl in 2001-2003 and 2004. Mangini wasn't a key player until 2005. so what are you saying?

I'm saying that Jets fans are hypocrites. Mangini knew what was going on and blew the whistle.

I'll be at the Pats/Jets game in September and I'm looking for a 30 point Pats win.

I'm saying that Jets fans are hypocrites. Mangini knew what was going on and blew the whistle.

I'll be at the Pats/Jets game in September and I'm looking for a 30 point Pats win.

Mumbles was warned last year in writing by the NFL before the season opener, and he still broke the rules defiantly. how in the ****ing blue hell does that have anything to do with Mangini?

I'll be at the opener to see you swallow your bitter pill. :D

Mumbles was warned last year in writing by the NFL before the season opener, and he still broke the rules defiantly. how in the ****ing blue hell does that have anything to do with Mangini?

I'll be at the opener to see you swallow your bitter pill. :D

I know that. You conveniently dismissed what I said about Mangini.

I already know that drunken Jets fans are going to give me **** from the moment I arrive at Giants Stadium until the moment I leave. No worries.

Did you see what I just did? I said Giants Stadium. Is that a bitter pill to swallow?

I know that. You conveniently dismissed what I said about Mangini.

I already know that drunken Jets fans are going to give me **** from the moment I arrive at Giants Stadium until the moment I leave. No worries.

Did you see what I just did? I said Giants Stadium. Is that a bitter pill to swallow?

What did Mangini do? he was working for who? under who's direction? who was ultimately responsible? :lol:

You do sound bitter, no doubt. stay close to Garb and High Silver, maybe their femininely Patriots fan ways will rub off on you. :lol:

I will not give you **** from the moment you arrive, I promise.

What did Mangini do? he was working for who? under who's direction? who was ultimately responsible? :lol:

You do sound bitter, no doubt. stay close to Garb and High Silver, maybe their femininely Patriots fan ways will rub off on you. :lol:

I will not give you **** from the moment you arrive, I promise.

I don't give a crap what anyone thinks about the Pats. I have fun with some Jets fans thinking that the only reason the Pats win is because they video taped signals.

Mangini was a nobody and still is :P

This all comes down to one thing.

Mangini leaving the Pats the become the Jets HC.

I mean think about. Romeo and Charlie leave and nary a word is said. When Mangini decides to take the Jets job BB tries to talk him out of it. When Mangini decides to still take the job BB gets all pissy about it and basically cuts him off his "friend".

Who made BB God and gets to tell people where they can and cannot go ? This whole "spygate" stuff probably never even comes out if BB just sits there and goes. " Well good luck then, We are still gonna kick your @ss but good luck anyway".

I'll never understand BB hatred for the Jets. Obviously something happened behind the scenes between him and Parcells and Jets management that made him uncomfortable but I guess it is just another chapter in this 11 year war between the two franchises.

Bottom line: Mangini gave BB a little dose of his own medicine. He may have commited career suicide doing it but BB got what he deserved. Was he right in doing it ? Probably in his own mind he was giving BB a little payback for the treatment he got when he left and the cold fish handshakes and the shots in the media.

Was it the smart thing to do ? Well I guess we will see in coming seasons.

Regardless of the advantages the Patriots got Belicheck openly ignored rules. Whether it was taping games or practicing with IR'd players he thought he was above the game and got caught. The only fair punishement for someone who takes advantage of something is to take it away from them. Belicheck should be suspended for the entire season. Let see what he tries to get away with after he loses what he loves. Do you disagree with this Gainzo?

ESPN.com news services

Comment

Email

Print

He writes for SI part-time and is ....um...vying for a full-time gig with ESPN? Yah think?

Seriously, do any of you truly beleive the Pats are the only team that have had IR'd players practice? If so, I have a 125 year old bridge (thanks, GG) I'd like to sell you.

An IR's guy practicing....surely this is the competetive edge that makes the team win so much.

Jets fans....bwaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

He writes for SI part-time and is ....um...vying for a full-time gig with ESPN? Yah think?

Seriously, do any of you truly beleive the Pats are the only team that have had IR'd players practice? If so, I have a 125 year old bridge (thanks, GG) I'd like to sell you.

An IR's guy practicing....surely this is the competetive edge that makes the team win so much.

thats why they dumped Troy, Garb. After the revelation, he aske BB if it was true and BB said, "I thought it was allowed, I must have mis-understood the rule". The next day Troy was gone..

True Story, I swear....

This all comes down to one thing.

Mangini leaving the Pats the become the Jets HC.

I mean think about. Romeo and Charlie leave and nary a word is said. When Mangini decides to take the Jets job BB tries to talk him out of it. When Mangini decides to still take the job BB gets all pissy about it and basically cuts him off his "friend".

Who made BB God and gets to tell people where they can and cannot go ? This whole "spygate" stuff probably never even comes out if BB just sits there and goes. " Well good luck then, We are still gonna kick your @ss but good luck anyway".

I'll never understand BB hatred for the Jets. Obviously something happened behind the scenes between him and Parcells and Jets management that made him uncomfortable but I guess it is just another chapter in this 11 year war between the two franchises.

Bottom line: Mangini gave BB a little dose of his own medicine. He may have commited career suicide doing it but BB got what he deserved. Was he right in doing it ? Probably in his own mind he was giving BB a little payback for the treatment he got when he left and the cold fish handshakes and the shots in the media.

Was it the smart thing to do ? Well I guess we will see in coming seasons.

Woody Johnson is primarily responsible for this insane situation, that and the fact that "Lil Bill" is a sleeze.

If you remember, when Woody took over the team he fawned all over Parcells. Begged him to remain with the Jets. It was in the paper every day. In the mean time he was ignoring his HC of the NYJ, and trying to give Parcells the job that was promised to Belichick.

Once the Tuna excepted the job as FO big shot Belichick knew Parcells couldn't keep his hands off the operation of the team on the field, and he was going to be a puppet. Crushed his ego. As immature as he is he hated Johnson for it.

Kraft was tampering, and offered him complete control. The rest is history

Thats BS and u know it...

Walsh said this weeks ago, ,BUT, it was only Walsh then,,the hated dork Pats fans said u couldnt trust,,

This is HUGE as we now have former player saying it happened AND that when NFL officials would show up for routine cpmpliance checks, the field was radioed and those players were whisked off field..

The Pats are a fraud,,

now we have IR players getting used in practice so they have reps that come in handy the following year and they keep vets fresh..

dont say other teams stash players on IR,,we KNOW they do, BUT they dont freakin play them in practice..

Thsi officially IMHO refutes any accomplishment the Pats have achieved as they NOEW have been using freakin practice as an unfair advantage and KNEW about it,,

Belly should be either suspended for ayear or not allowed to ecer coach in NFL again...

too late to take SBs away,, damage downe anyways, as I asssume all fans and now all Ptas fans have to agree this stuff has gone to far and Pats have been the biggest cheat sin NFL history....

Thats BS and u know it...

Walsh said this weeks ago, ,BUT, it was only Walsh then,,the hated dork Pats fans said u couldnt trust,,

This is HUGE as we now have former player saying it happened AND that when NFL officials would show up for routine cpmpliance checks, the field was radioed and those players were whisked off field..

The Pats are a fraud,,

now we have IR players getting used in practice so they have reps that come in handy the following year and they keep vets fresh..

dont say other teams stash players on IR,,we KNOW they do, BUT they dont freakin play them in practice..

Thsi officially IMHO refutes any accomplishment the Pats have achieved as they NOEW have been using freakin practice as an unfair advantage and KNEW about it,,

Belly should be either suspended for ayear or not allowed to ecer coach in NFL again...

too late to take SBs away,, damage downe anyways, as I asssume all fans and now all Ptas fans have to agree this stuff has gone to far and Pats have been the biggest cheat sin NFL history....

And you know this how?

The only people that find this all to be a travesty of epic proportions happen to be Jets fans or Mediots at ESPN.

Archived