NFL| Shane Olivea to the Jets?

hoping4ASuperBowl

The 49ers recently asked about free agent OL Shane Olivea, but were reportedly told that he's agreed to terms elsewhere.

The Jets inquired about Olivea, who can play guard and right tackle, after he was cut in February. Olivea will sign with the undisclosed team in June.

would be a good addition, would probably start at RT over Woody then?

Why would the Jets sign an oft-injuried castoff when they signed Woody to a 5 year, $25 million deal? There's no way they're bringing in Olivea.

Compettition.

Depending on the cost, it would be a good idea to add some more compettition to the right side of the line. It would also be good for our OL depth, which as of now, is extremely lacking.

Why would the Jets sign an oft-injuried castoff when they signed Woody to a 5 year, $25 million deal? There's no way they're bringing in Olivea.

because if he comes cheap, then he is a great addition. he was very talented, thus a big payday from san diego, injuries hurt him.

the Jets need depth at the line, especially since Woody is unproven at RT

because if he comes cheap, then he is a great addition. he was very talented, thus a big payday from san diego, injuries hurt him.

the Jets need depth at the line, especially since Woody is unproven at RT

or we cud move woody to guard and start olivea if healthy to tackle?

There's a bunch of reasons why, most of which have already been said. Competition, will come relatively cheap due to injury, is from the area, is younger and used to be very talented, could slide Woody to RG if he plays up to his potential at RT. If not, there's nothing wrong with having good depth, not just depth.

Depth/Competition, you can't have enough capable offensive linemen. Look at our offense last year, I attribute that to the offensive line more then anything else. If he comes at a reasonable price it's a good pickup.

I doubt it's that reasonable by the standards of most people. My guess is $5M/yr. If his back is 100% healthy he'll be well worth it (in this market). He's only 26 (27 in October) - a baby for an OLman with 4 years starting experience.

I could stand a line of Ferguson-Faneca-Mangold-Woody-Olivea. Moore moves where he belongs as one of the league's very best backup guards. That kind of depth (where the right side could be Moore-Woody if Olivea's back acts up again) allows a team to keep a 6th round RT/RG project like Bender on the roster.

I doubt they'll sign Olivea at this point. If they did my question would be WhyTF didn't you do it sooner BEFORE you signed Woody. BTW: I'd take Olivea any day over Woody .

Unlikely its the Jets-it would seem to be a team trying to clear cap space with the JUne 1 date

Finally someone in this thread "gets it". A June signing indicates a team that is up against the cap and is clearing cap space on June 1. Clearly not the Jets.

Finally someone in this thread "gets it". A June signing indicates a team that is up against the cap and is clearing cap space on June 1. Clearly not the Jets.

While that's 1 logical explanation, I wouldn't get too carried away by that analysis. Just because a team isn't up against the cap, doesn't mean they do not want to clear cap room first. Those teams may want to keep their cap room available for their rookies/etc.

I have no idea whether or not it will be the nets, but I don't believe the analysis above eliminates the Jets.

Unlikely its the Jets-it would seem to be a team trying to clear cap space with the JUne 1 date

If Tangini were given the option of an average to above average starting G/T, and cutting a below average QB or CB, they'd do it. If money is the issue than Barrett is first to go, if they need more money then Penny will get the axe shortly after.

A lot of that depends on Kellen too...

I'm all for the Olivea signing, to say we are thin at O-line is putting it lightly.

If Tangini were given the option of an average to above average starting G/T, and cutting a below average QB or CB, they'd do it. If money is the issue than Barrett is first to go, if they need more money then Penny will get the axe shortly after.

A lot of that depends on Kellen too...

I'm all for the Olivea signing, to say we are thin at O-line is putting it lightly.

Money isn't the issue. They have cap space right now. I would very much like Olivea, but I have to agree with the guys who think it will be a cap strapped team,

As far as Barrett goes, if either Lowery or Miller can win the job, Barrett will be gone. Don't really think Lowery in in the running, so that leaves it up to Miller. He was the starter on opening day last year.

Pennington will be a Jet in 08 no matter what Clemens does. Sorry guys

Anyone would be all for an Olivea signing, I'm not saying I wouldn't be, but he's going to get at least what Damien Woody got in terms of $ per year and the Jets have enough cap room to sign up their Draft Picks. They cannot run the cap to the limit or else its going to be scary situation next season. Also, there is no need to bring in Olivea. No need to outbid a team when the line is fine how it is.

The Jets' chances of bringing in Oliva are slim to none, but we'll see what happens.

Anyone would be all for an Olivea signing, I'm not saying I wouldn't be, but he's going to get at least what Damien Woody got in terms of $ per year and the Jets have enough cap room to sign up their Draft Picks. They cannot run the cap to the limit or else its going to be scary situation next season. Also, there is no need to bring in Olivea. No need to outbid a team when the line is fine how it is.

The Jets' chances of bringing in Oliva are slim to none, but we'll see what happens.

It's hard to say what his salary is going to be. He is a good player, but if my memory serves me, he has had serious back problems.

That is probably why he is still available. A team trying to find the right contract to suit his skill/health situation.

Tannenbaum has written some very creative contracts in the past

I doubt it's that reasonable by the standards of most people. My guess is $5M/yr. If his back is 100% healthy he'll be well worth it (in this market). He's only 26 (27 in October) - a baby for an OLman with 4 years starting experience.

I could stand a line of Ferguson-Faneca-Mangold-Woody-Olivea. Moore moves where he belongs as one of the league's very best backup guards. That kind of depth (where the right side could be Moore-Woody if Olivea's back acts up again) allows a team to keep a 6th round RT/RG project like Bender on the roster.

If the Browns can have Rex Hadnot as a reserve Guard then the Jets can have Olivea to provide veteran depth across the line.

Have the Jets ever had more good players than they can use? It would be refreshing, I'm sure.

cap space shouldn't be a huge factor, it's estimated that the Jets have a little over 10 million in cap space, they were givin 4.9 million in rookie pool (not sure how it works, but i'll guess)

so lets say after all the rookie signings the jets have 4.5 million in cap space left.

shane olivea is not in high demand thus he can't command a large salary (same as ty law)

so if he decides he likes the Jet situation, he'll go somewhere for a reasonable price, he's 26, and at one point a top 5 right tackle. So he'll get a respecatable salary, no where near the 6 year 20 mil, in san diego though.

so lets guess 2 years 3.5 - 4 million dollars. throw some incentives in about production or play time, maybe a 1.5 million cap hit

then the jets still have about 3 mil left in cap room

cap space shouldn't be a huge factor, it's estimated that the Jets have a little over 10 million in cap space, they were givin 4.9 million in rookie pool (not sure how it works, but i'll guess)

so lets say after all the rookie signings the jets have 4.5 million in cap space left.

shane olivea is not in high demand thus he can't command a large salary (same as ty law)

so if he decides he likes the Jet situation, he'll go somewhere for a reasonable price, he's 26, and at one point a top 5 right tackle. So he'll get a respecatable salary, no where near the 6 year 20 mil, in san diego though.

so lets guess 2 years 3.5 - 4 million dollars. throw some incentives in about production or play time, maybe a 1.5 million cap hit

then the jets still have about 3 mil left in cap room

Shane Olivea - T - Chargers

Chargers released RT Shane Olivea.

Olivea started for the better part of four years before losing his job to Jeromey Clary in 2007, so at 26 he's suddenly one of the better young tackles available. Teams will look hard at his back injuries.

Feb. 28 - 3:26 p.m. ET

Recurring back injuries are the reason this kid was cut. Back injuries are death for OL. Who ever signs him better be real careful how the contract reads.

I would love to see the Jets sign him, but almost no guaranteed money, Maybe go with roster bonus's next year, or a production clause

flgreen that's why he got the big deal, i'm in no way saying he's that good any more. but i am saying that he can help the jets

flgreen that's why he got the big deal, i'm in no way saying he's that good any more. but i am saying that he can help the jets

Don't get me wrong, I think we agree, I would love for the Jets to sign him. He was an excellent player, I just hope if it were to happen, that they are extra careful about his contract.

I'm pretty sure Tanny could figure something out.

He has incorporated a weighing-schedule escalator into Jenkins' contract, and has negotiated two seperate performance-based compensation trade contracts, (in the last three months).

Getting Shane signed for the right money isn't the issue, here. I think this FO has proven that if they want a player; they'll go get him. They'll bring in just about anybody and give them a look over.

not if it would have cost more money, like it probably would have, look how long he's lasted, definitely cheaper now

Yep

He was probably asking for the same kind of contract that he signed before. No takers

Now all the teams are in their mini camps, everyday he isn't signed cost him money. Time to go to the highest bidder, who is willing to take a gamble.

The only reason I don't think it is going to be the Jets is because, why do they have to wait until June? I hope it is the Jets but doubt it. It sounds more like it is a salary cap strapped team that has to free up money.

There may be an advantage for the Jets to wait until after June 1st (sort of). If the Jets are unsure about his long-term health, but Olivea would still command a decent-sized bonus up front; it would be better to give it to him (or give most of it to him) as a roster bonus than signing bonus. If he still has back issues and we have to release him, it would come without an accelerated cap hit if we take all the bonus money hit in year one.

After June 1st, Barrett is very likely to get cut - clears almost $4M.

The only question is why that would prohibit the Jets from signing him now, unless they envision getting Gholston signed before June 2nd. Then they could give Olivea a $5M or whatever up front roster bonus and still be under the cap.

Only thing I can think of.

There may be an advantage for the Jets to wait until after June 1st (sort of). If the Jets are unsure about his long-term health, but Olivea would still command a decent-sized bonus up front; it would be better to give it to him (or give most of it to him) as a roster bonus than signing bonus. If he still has back issues and we have to release him, it would come without an accelerated cap hit if we take all the bonus money hit in year one.

After June 1st, Barrett is very likely to get cut - clears almost $4M.

The only question is why that would prohibit the Jets from signing him now, unless they envision getting Gholston signed before June 2nd. Then they could give Olivea a $5M or whatever up front roster bonus and still be under the cap.

Only thing I can think of.

Just not going to happen.

Hope you are right thogh. If this kid could play at the level he was playing two years ago, the Jets would have a dominating OL

Archived