Deepest Running Attack? J-E-T-S

SoFlaJets

Deepest indeed.

Our starting Running Back is a 1,000+ rusher

Our scatback is fast and explosive, good for 150 carries a season

Our thrid stringer, whoever it ends up being, is big and can get the tough yards

Our fullback is one of the best blocking fullbacks in the league

This is going to be a pound the rock and play good defense type team with a game manager at Quarterback. Can't wait, because that is my personal favorite type of Football.

Deepest indeed.

Our thrid stringer, whoever it ends up being, is big and can get the tough yards

This is going to be a pound the rock and play good defense type team with a game manager at Quarterback. Can't wait, because that is my personal favorite type of Football.

Are you sure youre not a Steelers fan? :)

Are you sure youre not a Steelers fan? :)

Just a fan that likes to see what usually wins championships nowadays. ;-)

2000 Baltimore

2001 New England

2002 Tampa Bay

2005 Pittsburgh

2007 NYGiants

All won it with a strong defense and running game. People often forget that in 2001 Tom Brady was nothing more than a game manager who gave the ball to Antowain Smith and other backs.

Deepest indeed.

Leon is not an every down back, but he is more then a scat back. The guy weighs 205. He's not small, just short

Leon is not an every down back, but he is more then a scat back. The guy weighs 205. He's not small, just short

I don't care what the press guide says Leon Washington weighs, the only way he weighs 205 is if he's holding a 25 lb plate.

I don't care what the press guide says Leon Washington weighs, the only way he weighs 205 is if he's holding a 25 lb plate.

I tend to agree with that. Even so I think he plays bigger than his true (Not listed) size. He's far from easy to tackle.

2000 Baltimore

2001 New England

2002 Tampa Bay

2005 Pittsburgh

2007 NYGiants

All won it with a strong defense and running game. People often forget that in 2001 Tom Brady was nothing more than a game manager who gave the ball to Antowain Smith and other backs.

Tom Brady, Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger are all better QBs than what we have. Dilfer and Johnson arguably played much better in the playoffs those years than Chad ever does. Actually not much to argue, since Chad usually doesn't do anything.

When your O can't muster up more than 3 points in 5 quarters, including a failure to get 10 yards for a closer FG when the ball was given to you deep in opponent's territory, it's going to be near impossible to win games. The Giants would have lost to the Pats if Chad was the QB, because Eli got points when he needed to, can you imagine Chad escaping that rush and completing a deep pass? IIRC, the Giants actually had decent drives too, instead of Pennington and the Jets usual 3 and out against a good defense.

i have a lot of confidence in our running game ...a good pass game will develope out of the running success especially for clemens..it will take pressure off of him

I think that works only in the regular season. In the playoffs, without a good pass game, you are not going to get anything going running. For evidence, see what happened to LJ and the Chiefs 2 years ago when Herm used the same gameplan that some of you think wins championships by itself. If a mere game manager was enough, Herm and Chad would have at least 5 SBs by now, since that is exactly what their philosophy is. Schotty too. Just have a good defense then play super conservative and pray that you win somehow.

I think that works only in the regular season. In the playoffs, without a good pass game, you are not going to get anything going running. For evidence, see what happened to LJ and the Chiefs 2 years ago when Herm used the same gameplan that some of you think wins championships by itself. If a mere game manager was enough, Herm and Chad would have at least 5 SBs by now, since that is exactly what their philosophy is. Schotty too. Just have a good defense then play super conservative and pray that you win somehow.

Herm lost KC that game with his conservative tactics. If Mangini was the HC I doubt it would have been nearly as bad, regardless of who the QB was.

Pittsburgh's running game is going to be ridiculous.

Before the draft i hardly knew who Mendenhall was. The more i read, the more i like. Steelers O-line will have to improve over last year tho. Starks, Hartwig, Kemoeatu/Simmons, and Colon must play better than last year or the Steelers will favor the pass game imo. LT Marvel Smith will be fine so long as he avoids injury. Believe it or not i really don't see the Steelers missing Faneca much.

Thomas Jones

Leon Washington

Jesse Chatman

Musa Smith

Tony Richardson

simply the best...now if our OL can start approaching what New England's has been it will pay dividends

Jones sucks. Leon is by far our best RB. He needs to get the majority of the carries next year. That will help whoever is the QB next season.

Pittsburgh's running game is going to be ridiculous.

No it's not, they have an awful O-line. Now that Faneca (Who was by far and away their best run-blocker) is gone, it won't matter if they have Barry Sanders back there IMO, they are going to struggle.

People really do underestimate just how important an O-line is, especially with the running game.

Jones sucks. Leon is by far our best RB. He needs to get the majority of the carries next year. That will help whoever is the QB next season.

I'm tellin you guys the best every down RB we may have could be Jesse Chatman

Before the draft i hardly knew who Mendenhall was. The more i read, the more i like. Steelers O-line will have to improve over last year tho. Starks, Hartwig, Kemoeatu/Simmons, and Colon must play better than last year or the Steelers will favor the pass game imo. LT Marvel Smith will be fine so long as he avoids injury. Believe it or not i really don't see the Steelers missing Faneca much.

Yout pushing it pal.

No it's not, they have an awful O-line. Now that Faneca (Who was by far and away their best run-blocker) is gone, it won't matter if they have Barry Sanders back there IMO, they are going to struggle.

People really do underestimate just how important an O-line is, especially with the running game.

Faneca struggled at times last year. I posted this during the regular season, but he looked really small to me, and I thought he frequently missed his blocks in pass protection too. Some people say that was the inexperience around him. And since I'm a Jets fan, I want to hope for the best and am hoping that was it too.

So I'm gonna go with what you're saying IJ, and agree, but I just need to point out those reservations.

Go JETS!

I only went to 1 game last year, the Redskins game that we lost in overtime. Leon looked great that day. Portis ran OK but his stats were pretty good because our D line was getting pushed backwards all day. But what I noticed about T Jones that day was that he was a lot slower getting to the line of scrimmage or a hole than those other runners. I never noticed this watching him on TV, just on that 1 day that I saw him live. Am I imagining things? Or have you guys noticed a lack of quickness to the hole on the part of T Jones?

I only went to 1 game last year, the Redskins game that we lost in overtime. Leon looked great that day. Portis ran OK but his stats were pretty good because our D line was getting pushed backwards all day. But what I noticed about T Jones that day was that he was a lot slower getting to the line of scrimmage or a hole than those other runners. I never noticed this watching him on TV, just on that 1 day that I saw him live. Am I imagining things? Or have you guys noticed a lack of quickness to the hole on the part of T Jones?

Yeah that's why they call him the dancing bear haha.

Thomas Jones

Leon Washington

Jesse Chatman

Musa Smith

Tony Richardson

simply the best...now if our OL can start approaching what New England's has been it will pay dividends

The only one that I believe is even decent at best is Leon Washington just because he's young and could maybe get better.

Thomas Jones

Leon Washington

Jesse Chatman

Musa Smith

Tony Richardson

Chargers, Vikings, 49ers, Ravens, Jaguars, Cowboys, Chiefs, Giants, Raiders, and the Redskins are teams that I feel have better stables of RBs.

2000 Baltimore

2001 New England

2002 Tampa Bay

2005 Pittsburgh

2007 NYGiants

and yet you HATE the best "game manager" in the league. weird. but, hey....

I agree Thomas jONES Blows he's had one decent season in 9 years, we took him because he was on a superbowl team, Neil O'Donnell comes to mind, overpaid, overrated.

Leon, different story, he should be the #1 back, like warrick dunn, if I hear that he's too small for that role one more I'll puke, he's the EXACT size of Barry Sanders.

Please tell me when T Jones was EVER fast to the hole, he sux, he got noteriety with a partner sharing carries and a monster defense. He has never been anything more than servicable, you know he's played 9 years, right? We were kicking Curtis out the door around this time and all he'd done was rush for 1,000 yards EVERY single year and lock up a spot in Canton, what's Jones 9 year catalogue look like?

He's average, better than KB and his "shine", but that's not saying much.

I agree Thomas jONES Blows he's had one decent season in 9 years, we took him because he was on a superbowl team, Neil O'Donnell comes to mind, overpaid, overrated.

Leon, different story, he should be the #1 back, like warrick dunn, if I hear that he's too small for that role one more I'll puke, he's the EXACT size of Barry Sanders.

He's too small for that role.

I love when fans get excited about their team. I like our running backs but calling them great is a big stretch. Lets get 4 yards a carry first or better, run the ball in on goal to go situations, or put a few sustained 3 yards and a cloud of dust type drives together before we anoint this group.

This is not to disparage our RB's. Just keepin it real. Jones is a basher who can wear down a line. Behind our improved line, he's gonna be an asset. I agree that Leon Washington is due to breakout The two each complement each other. Jones wears down a line and Washington exhausts those big guys chasing him around. Should be a great second half combination against a tired defense. Haven't seen much of Chatman, but if he's more than a back-up or additional back in passing situations, we're in trouble.

Richardson may be the key to it all. In the 3-4, there is always a linebacker in the hole to beat. If Richardson lives up to his legend of destroying that first guy, Jones will be a load for the secondary to tackle and Washington will be the most dangerous guy around. Imagine an explosive kickoff returner getting a shot in the open field with only 3-4 DB between him and the endzone. Let's not forget his impact in goal line situations as the lead back.

No way Washington is 180 pounds, Think back on some of his big runs. Typically, he catches a short swing pass, or bounces outside on a running play. Encounters a safety 6 yards upfield. The safety tries to bump him out of bounds the way he would a WR. Leon runs right through his tackle, and is in a foot race.

He also has several big runs right thru the middle. He breaks a tackle with power at the LOS, then turns on the Jets. Big gainer. Once he gets a few steps, he's a hard kid to bring down. He breaks arm tackles.

Take this for what it's worth. I met him briefly, like a 10 word conversation at a boosters club diner. I'm not a booster, but a client of mine is, who invited me. At the time I didn't know he was going to be a Jet of course, but two thinks struck me. How short he was, and how wide he was.

The kid is very thick, and muscular. Of course I didn't weight him, but I believe the 200 pounds

As I remember it, he weighed in at 203 at the combine. I don't think they fudge those numbers too much...or at all.

So unless he's lost 23 lbs since the combine, he's not 180 lbs.

As I remember it, he weighed in at 203 at the combine. I don't think they fudge those numbers too much...or at all.

So unless he's lost 23 lbs since the combine, he's not 180 lbs.

I thought it was 201, but that's not what's important... break out some of those pre-draft 'toon-DMC threads. What's his hip to thigh ratio? Calf circumference? These are the things that determine if a guy is an everydown back!

Archived