How long does the pi$$ing contest go on

4HCrew

I would hand Baker his walking papers and tell him to take a hike.

The guy isn't all that he makes himself to be. He is no even in the same stratosphere and a guy like Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez.

This isn't Pete Kendall where guys depended on him. With Keller now and Franks the Jets could just as well now go out and pick up a Kyle Brady type of TE that can just go out and block the hell out of somebody.

So now the Jets are fining Baker... at what point is this just not worth it anymore and just let the guy move on? is this a necessary distraction? is the drama worth it?

1. If you trade him, Baker wins, Jets lose

2. If you cut him, Baker wins, Jets lose

3. If you fine him and/or ignore his bitching, Jets lose, Baker lose.

They are in a no-win situation with this. You cant just go and get rid of guys every time they open their mouths. Then every guy who wants to leave will bitch and moan.

But if you keep him and fine him, you still piss off the other players because they could be next to be treated like crap.

The best thing the team can do is follow the rules. If he is injured, let him sit even if he's faking it. Dont fine him. Then when it comes to training camp you cut his ass because he wasnt prepared to play and is behind the other TE's.

Somebody needs to tell the press to quit putting out these stories. They are the one's causing the problem.

Unlike assigning Kendall to the rookie dorm there may be a valid reason for the Jets fining Baker. Baker supposedly "tweaked" his back. That was his excuse for not practicing for a couple of days. If the Jets think he was faking this is a way to get back at him. If Baker did actually hurt his back he would have to go for treatment or explain why he didn't. The Jets may simply be ensuring that Baker doesn't effectively hold out by claiming to be hurt.

The guys best season was only mediocre. Him shooting off his mouth probably will piss off other players but against himself I believe. Good players play and get rewarded, Baker is average at best and the good players sooner or later will have to tell him so.

1. If you trade him, Baker wins, Jets lose

2. If you cut him, Baker wins, Jets lose

3. If you fine him and/or ignore his bitching, Jets lose, Baker lose.

They are in a no-win situation with this. You cant just go and get rid of guys every time they open their mouths. Then every guy who wants to leave will bitch and moan.

the best solution is to offer baker the opportunity to buy out of his deal. all he needs to do is repay the jets his signing bonus and the $ that was advanced to him last year and he can become a free agent. that's $2.7M from Baker to the jets and he gets to become a free agent. i also think the jets should take this offer to the media and tell the world if baker wants to walk here are the terms.

The only ones making this a distraction is the media and fans. I highly doubt this is an issue with the team. Baker is mediocre. Franks may not be the player he was, but he was probowl caliber at one point. Something Baker has never been and will never be. Franks at 30 years old is still better than Baker and Keller adds the speed and quickness that neither of them have. The Jets are doing the right thing in this case.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks he's a few notches above mediocre. He's not great but he can catch and he can block. It wouldn't hurt having him and Keller both on the field, plus the oline blocking, or since Keller can't block, Baker can come in to block in two TE sets with Franks. He caught 41 passes, not a great stat but how many times was he thrown the ball? Keller will probably get more looks but there just might be a few times when baker makes a crucial catch. Hopefully they come to an agreement for a nice chunk less then baker was asking for or cut him after training camp, who gives a ****.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks he's a few notches above mediocre. He's not great but he can catch and he can block. It wouldn't hurt having him and Keller both on the field, plus the oline blocking, or since Keller can't block, Baker can come in to block in two TE sets with Franks. He caught 41 passes, not a great stat but how many times was he thrown the ball? Keller will probably get more looks but there just might be a few times when baker makes a crucial catch. Hopefully they come to an agreement for a nice chunk less then baker was asking for or cut him after training camp, who gives a ****.

You're not the only one. I've always really liked him more than most other Jets fans. But he's not all he's making himself out to be. Also, other people are right in saying that, at this point, the Jets cannot just outright cut him without suffering the backlash of many other future incidents like this, IMO.

Do you really think the other players spend any time worring about Baker? Other then thinking about the fact that they too may some day want to break their contract and cuase an issue? I think they are all thnking about how to win or keep their jobs on this team.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks he's a few notches above mediocre. He's not great but he can catch and he can block.

You are not I think, he is a decent player. Proabaly not well utilized because of the deficencies we have had at QB. What I am concerned about, is this is another year where a player has claimed that management promised to take care of them and has failed to do so. I really hope this is not a pattern...

I would hand Baker his walking papers and tell him to take a hike.

The guy isn't all that he makes himself to be. He is no even in the same stratosphere and a guy like Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez.

This isn't Pete Kendall where guys depended on him. With Keller now and Franks the Jets could just as well now go out and pick up a Kyle Brady type of TE that can just go out and block the hell out of somebody.

Agree 100%. Baker received a good contract a few years ago. Now it's not good anymore. Too bad.

Cut him loose. Let's see him get a better deal elsewhere.

I can appreciate your feelings on Baker, but I think everybody is selling Keller short. Keller wasn't asked to block, so he has a rep as a non-blocker. Baker had the same rep coming out of Michigan St. Keller is big, strong and athletic. There is no reason he can't block. No, he's not going to be like having a 3rd OT out there, but neither is Baker. There is a very real possibility that Keller won't block any worse than Baker. None of us will really know until we see him in action.

TE's don't need to be great blockers if they have the tremendous recieving ability to make up for it. I expect us to operate very much like the Colts offense (Not as effective, obviously) in that we utilize our more athletic, pass catching TE in many different ways (Line up at WR, FB etc.) and take advantage of his abilities in the most effective way possible as a Receiver.

The Blocking TE (Franks) could be very similar to what Utecht was to Indy, he could stay in and block 80% of the time and do a great job of it, taking away some of Kellers responsibilities in pass protection and run blocking.

Hopefully Keller can be everything he's made out to be, and more.

Archived