I'm Still Not Satisfied With This Team

Ghost

I don't know how you guys feel but I think we have a playoff team right now, but I don't want us to make the playoffs and lose, nor do I just want to win 1 game. We need to get to the big one and actually win. Quite frankly, we can't do that because we have QB's who are not good enough. Not to be rude but Clemens nor Pennington are not good enough.

When a QB like Brett Favre is on the market, why in the bloody hell won't you offer the Packers a deal. It makes all the sense in the world, we're in the AFC and we need a QB more than anyone. Get this crap done! I can def picture Favre playing for us. IMO I think we're set on the trenches, both offensively and defensively.

We need to do something now!!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know how you guys feel but I think we have a playoff team right now, but I don't want us to make the playoffs and lose, nor do I just want to win 1 game. We need to get to the big one and actually win. Quite frankly, we can't do that because we have QB's who are not good enough. Not to be rude but Clemens nor Pennington are not good enough.

When a QB like Brett Favre is on the market, why in the bloody hell won't you offer the Packers a deal. It makes all the sense in the world, we're in the AFC and we need a QB more than anyone. Get this crap done! I can def picture Favre playing for us. IMO I think we're set on the trenches, both offensively and defensively.

We need to do something now!!!

This argument really bugs me every time I hear it, whether on these baords or even among friends.

The FO went out and spent 140 million in FA, and people are still attacking them because they dont want to get a 40 year old band aid that they think will make this team a better contender when it simply isnt so.

The fact is despite playing in a stadium that is renoun for its home field advantage Favre has a record below .500 in the playoffs there, how do you think he'd fare here where some weeks the opposing fans can outnumber the home ones.

Also, the move to the AFC would mean better competion than he has faced in the past decade, so those already lofty INT #'s will only grow while seeing the TD's decrease.

Then there is the development of Clemens, which we still know nothing about despite people claiming that they do...he's played in seven full games (not counting NE where he threw 1 pass), we need to see what he can do over the course of a complete schedule before any judgements, or at the very least til the end of TC.

All Farve would do would hinder his development, wreck his confidence, and leave us worse off because then we would have to go out and draft another QB in two years and wait for him to develop and by that point all the money that was spent will be wasted, assuming that QB is even given a shot in the first place.

Having more or less opposing fans in the stands I believe would have absolutely no difference in his performance.

Favre would not hinder his development. Look, I think he'd be OK sitting behind Favre. Letting PENNINGTON beat him out would crush him.

Now Im not saying get Favre, but some of the arguments above would have no bearing.

This argument really bugs me every time I hear it, whether on these baords or even among friends.

The FO went out and spent 140 million in FA, and people are still attacking them because they dont want to get a 40 year old band aid that they think will make this team a better contender when it simply isnt so.

The fact is despite playing in a stadium that is renoun for its home field advantage Favre has a record below .500 in the playoffs there, how do you think he'd fare here where some weeks the opposing fans can outnumber the home ones.

Also, the move to the AFC would mean better competion than he has faced in the past decade, so those already lofty INT #'s will only grow while seeing the TD's decrease.

Then there is the development of Clemens, which we still know nothing about despite people claiming that they do...he's played in seven full games (not counting NE where he threw 1 pass), we need to see what he can do over the course of a complete schedule before any judgements, or at the very least til the end of TC.

All Farve would do would hinder his development, wreck his confidence, and leave us worse off because then we would have to go out and draft another QB in two years and wait for him to develop and by that point all the money that was spent will be wasted, assuming that QB is even given a shot in the first place.

Don't you think if Favre was in the White & Green more fans would actually show up? Come on, you know the answer for that.

Your right, we spent all that money on FA's but we never tried to get a QB. I'm not giving up on Clemens just yet but Woody and Faneca are not the youngest players, Favre would be the perfect fit right now especially that we have a better OL than the Packers had.

Having more or less opposing fans in the stands I believe would have absolutely no difference in his performance.

Favre would not hinder his development. Look, I think he'd be OK sitting behind Favre. Letting PENNINGTON beat him out would crush him.

Now Im not saying get Favre, but some of the arguments above would have no bearing.

Good post, I still don't know why Pennington is on this squad. He mentioned Clemens, what's better than bringing in Favre to mentor him?

I don't know, it just makes all the sense in the world for me.

If I was going to get someone to mentor Clemens itd be someone with slightly more football intelligence than Favre, who seems to live on the assinine play that works when his recievers bail him out, I'm sure there has to be someone better out there to take up that mantle, maybe as part of the coaching staff for example.

As far as homefield advantage, it definately has to play some factor into the performance of a player, perhaps I'm putting too much emphasis on it but it still has to play some factor into it, such as the weather of Lambeau.

At the same time, I couldnt take it if Pennington was the starter this season again, one season of going 1 and 9 is enough to see of his pathetic arm.

If that one proposed trade were to go through, Pennington and a sixth, I'd be alot more accepting because personally I'd rather not take the risk of watching lame ducks every pass. I'll say this much Favre is exciting for the right reasons (the possibility of the big play) than opposed to Penny (the more than likely hood of a pick six). Regardless though if Favre were on this team he would have to be in a backup role, that way if Clemens does stink he could perhaps salvage a few wins.

If I was going to get someone to mentor Clemens itd be someone with slightly more football intelligence than Favre, who seems to live on the assinine play that works when his recievers bail him out, I'm sure there has to be someone better out there to take up that mantle, maybe as part of the coaching staff for example.

As far as homefield advantage, it definately has to play some factor into the performance of a player, perhaps I'm putting too much emphasis on it but it still has to play some factor into it, such as the weather of Lambeau.

At the same time, I couldnt take it if Pennington was the starter this season again, one season of going 1 and 9 is enough to see of his pathetic arm.

If that one proposed trade were to go through, Pennington and a sixth, I'd be alot more accepting because personally I'd rather not take the risk of watching lame ducks every pass. I'll say this much Favre is exciting for the right reasons (the possibility of the big play) than opposed to Penny (the more than likely hood of a pick six). Regardless though if Favre were on this team he would have to be in a backup role, that way if Clemens does stink he could perhaps salvage a few wins.

You have many excellent points.

You make that move to put you over the top.

Getting Favre secures second place in the East and a likely date in New England, Indianapolis or San Diego in the first week of the playoffs.

Our offense still is sub-par. Brett Favre would not be the piece to put it over the top. We're without a competent QB AND [highlight]RB[/highlight].

2007 New York Jets 16 14 310 [highlight]1,119[/highlight] 3.6 36 1 28 217 7.8 25 1 2 0

2006 Chicago Bears 16 16 296 [highlight]1,210[/highlight] 4.1 30T 6 36 154 4.3 21 0 1 1

2005 Chicago Bears 15 15 314 [highlight]1,335[/highlight] 4.3 42 9 26 143 5.5 41 0 2 2

http://www.nfl.com/players/thomasjones/profile?id=JON755755&campaign=Google_NFLPlayer_ThomasJones

LETTING Pennington beat him out? That kind of confuses me? Why would he LET Chad beat him out? Why is it so far out there that Chad would beat him outright?

Thomas Jones is not a game breaker. No one is scared of him. He collects yards and will never take over a game. Sorry the New York Jets are STILL searching for their next franchise RB. Hopefully his name is Knowshon Moreno.

I personally would prefer if we got Wells out of OSU, I think he'll be a great NFL RB, he'd be my pick of the backs. Hopefully we're not drafting that high though.

Completely agree on Jones though.

You have many excellent points.

You make that move to put you over the top.

Getting Favre secures second place in the East and a likely date in New England, Indianapolis or San Diego in the first week of the playoffs.

Exactly, well put.

Everyone thinks getting Favre automatically puts us in the class of the AFC, sure he will help, but to say we're one of the best in the league is pushing it a little.

This team is 2 or three years away, by that time Rhodes, revis and harris should be in their primes, as well as brick, mangold, cotch, keller, and maybe kellen. While the vets will still be able to perform around the level they are capable of, like jenkins and faneca.

Bringing Favre in, while an improvement, will not put this team over the top.

P.S.: I for one dont trust OSU backs, you can count the ones that have dne anything in the NFL with two fingers, Eddie George, and our own Matt Snell. That many in over forty years doesnt bode well, but who knows.

Thomas Jones is not a game breaker. No one is scared of him. He collects yards and will never take over a game. Sorry the New York Jets are STILL searching for their next franchise RB. Hopefully his name is Knowshon Moreno.

Leon Washington=Game Breaker - Just accept it. :)

Leon Washington=Game Breaker - Just accept it. :)

Unfortunately the CS doesn't agree. I like Leon a lot, in fact better than Jones. That said he is not a feature back. He is an X-factor type and should be used more in the slot and motioned around. Basically they should take that role away from B. Smith and give it to Leon.

I personally would prefer if we got Wells out of OSU, I think he'll be a great NFL RB, he'd be my pick of the backs. Hopefully we're not drafting that high though.

Completely agree on Jones though.

I just couldn't stand the thought of adding any more Buckeyes. F*** OSU! Nick Mangold is the only decent human being to ever come from there.

Ryno, its not worth it. The Thomas Jones fans are the same bunch who bash on the Line for not protecting Chad or Kellen, but they can blame Thomas for having nothing to run behind. I guess they're happier with Kevan Barlow, honestly I don't know.

****, maybe we can ask Cedric Houston to come back and stick him behind Adrien Clarke.

Ryno, its not worth it. The Thomas Jones fans are the same bunch who bash on the Line for not protecting Chad or Kellen, but they can blame Thomas for having nothing to run behind. I guess they're happier with Kevan Barlow, honestly I don't know.

****, maybe we can ask Cedric Houston to come back and stick him behind Adrien Clarke.

When you've watched Thomas Jones run at ANY point in his career, were you ever impressed?

The guy is nothing special. He's a stop gap that is filling in a spot until we get a franchise RB. That's the the straight truth.

Too many base an imaginary ideal of what he’d do in 2008 for the Jets solely on his year-end numbers in 2007 for Green Bay. A lot of the numbers he racked up came against some pretty soft &/or inconsistent pass defenses:

Detroit (twice): 500 yds, 5 TD’s, 0 INT’s

Minnesota (twice): 700 yds, 5 TD’s, 0 INT’s

Carolina: 200 yds, 3 TD’s, 0 INT’s

San Diego (in their crappy first third of the season): 369 yds, 3 TD’s, 0 INT’s

Denver (with both Bailey and Bly banged up): 331 yds, 2 TD’s, 0 INT’s

NYG (week 2): 280 yds, 3 TD’s, 1 INT

8 games against soft/inconsistent pass defenses: ~2400 yds, 21 TD’s, 1 INT

The other 8 games vs Chicago x2, Kansas City, Oakland, Dallas, Washington, and Philadelphia: ~1700 yds, 7 TD’s, 14 INT’s

AND, this is the only good season he'd had in the last three. Wonder all you want how many picks a "What the hell, I'll just chuck it" gunslinger like Favre would have thrown on the 2007 Jets with a porous OL, weak running game, and (at times) a #1/#2 WR combo of Justin McCareins & Brad Smith (sprinkled with some games with Cotchery with a busted finger & oft-injured/concussed Coles).

Now we DO have soft games on our 2008 schedule; every team does. But for years, the big knock on Pennington (from me as well) is that he didn’t generally do well against teams with better & more consistent defenses. And Favre certainly is an x-factor that a Chad Pennington never was & never will be. But he's no lock to do anything well at age 39 or whatever he is. Hell it wasn't too long ago that Rich Gannon was the league's MVP, flirting with the passing-yards record most of the season, and then was a scrub the following year.

I do agree that it would sell a lot of jerseys. Whoop-dee-do. I fail to see how that is going to help us get past the Patriots, which is ultimately what this team must do.

LETTING Pennington beat him out? That kind of confuses me? Why would he LET Chad beat him out? Why is it so far out there that Chad would beat him outright?

If Clemens can't beat out Chad, then I think you can rightfully say he is not our "franchise" QB. If you bring in Favre, you still have no idea whether you need to groom another QB or not.

I'd love to be able to honestly say we're a playoff team, but I can't do that. There are questions on defense, many new people to be integrated and some postion switches which are not guaranteed to be successes.

And we do not have that gamebreaker on offense that keeps DCs up at night. I still see other teams being able to roll up the defense to 7-8 yards off the LOS, clogging up everything.

After 4-12, 8-8 would be a great improvement. Sure I want 12-4, but I just don't see it happening this year. In the NFC, maybe we're a playoff team. But not in the AFC.

If Clemens can't beat out Chad, then I think you can rightfully say he is not our "franchise" QB. If you bring in Favre, you still have no idea whether you need to groom another QB or not.

I'd love to be able to honestly say we're a playoff team, but I can't do that. There are questions on defense, many new people to be integrated and some postion switches which are not guaranteed to be successes.

And we do not have that gamebreaker on offense that keeps DCs up at night. I still see other teams being able to roll up the defense to 7-8 yards off the LOS, clogging up everything.

After 4-12, 8-8 would be a great improvement. Sure I want 12-4, but I just don't see it happening this year. In the NFC, maybe we're a playoff team. But not in the AFC.

I guess I just question all the Chad haters. I will be rooting for Chad to win the compeition but if Kellen gives us the best chance to win, I will be rooting hard for him. These posters that think Chad should just be released/shouldn't be on the team, it's just not smart football. Your backup would be Ratliff and Ainge? Rarely a QB starts all 16 games so you need a reliable backup. What is so bad about a compeition??

Who's to say Favre would even want to come here in the first place? I haven't seen a shred of evidence to suggest so. Plus who's to say that the Packers FO will even release or trade him? It's an ugly situation and who know's how it will play out. IMO I think Favre wants to force his way to Minny. I'm not sure he would play for just any team.

So I won't waste any energy until more facts are know. Not sure why everyone is talking about so much when at this point in time it appears very unlikely there is any chance of this happening.

Who's to say Favre would even want to come here in the first place? I haven't seen a shred of evidence to suggest so. Plus who's to say that the Packers FO will even release or trade him? It's an ugly situation and who know's how it will play out. IMO I think Favre wants to force his way to Minny. I'm not sure he would play for just any team.

So I won't waste any energy until more facts are know. Not sure why everyone is talking about so much when at this point in time it appears very unlikely there is any chance of this happening.

Bored?

I guess I just question all the Chad haters. I will be rooting for Chad to win the compeition but if Kellen gives us the best chance to win, I will be rooting hard for him. These posters that think Chad should just be released/shouldn't be on the team, it's just not smart football. Your backup would be Ratliff and Ainge? Rarely a QB starts all 16 games so you need a reliable backup. What is so bad about a compeition??

Correction: rarely does Chad start 16 games, other QB's can do so by releasing the ball quickly and having an ounce of pocket awareness. I would be ok with captain average being a back up to KC, if KC can't hack it...well we're screwed either way.

Correction: rarely does Chad start 16 games, other QB's can do so by releasing the ball quickly and having an ounce of pocket awareness. I would be ok with captain average being a back up to KC, if KC can't hack it...well we're screwed either way.

No, I believe Kellen got hurt during the Pats game and Chad had to come in and finish that game and start @ the Titans, so its not just Chad. Lets be honest, lets say Kellen wins the compeition, what do you think the over under is until people start rumbling that Chad should be put in? Its nice to say we have to find out if we have a QB this season, but lets be honest its July. No one is going to be patient in October.

If Kellen loses to Chad its game over, I'd have trouble seeing us win a game this entire year, and I'm not trying to be funny about that either. Sure the D and power running game might be able to keep it close enough that something could happen, but it is really difficult to believe that a QB with so little in the area of physical ability can go out and compete with athletes that actually have some talent.

If Kellen loses to Chad its game over, I'd have trouble seeing us win a game this entire year, and I'm not trying to be funny about that either. Sure the D and power running game might be able to keep it close enough that something could happen, but it is really difficult to believe that a QB with so little in the area of physical ability can go out and compete with athletes that actually have some talent.

This is probably the worst post I have ever read, honestly. With the O-Line vastly imporved it will make Chad AND Kellen better. But give Chad a little respect, not even a game? The fact that you might even be a little serious makes it even worse.

This is probably the worst post I have ever read, honestly. With the O-Line vastly imporved it will make Chad AND Kellen better. But give Chad a little respect, not even a game? The fact that you might even be a little serious makes it even worse.

:rl::rl::rl:

WOW, considering some posts I've see that says something

Did you watch the nine games he started last year?

How about the time a guy (Cotch I believe) was ten yards away wide open and he boucnde it to him!

Chad has no arm strength, and I mean no arm strenth, even with the new and improved line you would need to give him a half a minute of protection to get enough windup to get it even twenty yards anymore (at least it would seem that way).

Plus its not like he helps at all by avoiding rushers, Chad's version of dodging is shifting lazily to the left or right, which normally doesnt help.

I lost respect for Chad as an athlete when he lost the game to buffalo when pretty much their entire defense was out for one injury or antoher and still lost, or a month later when they played again and he was so bad that they put Kellen in just to start lobbing deep passes. Still respect him as a classy player, but he has just lost whatever it was he had to get him this far.

I'll retract the no games statement because we still play Miami twice and they seem to get worse by the day, but he just isnt capable of doing much more, I wish the FO had just jettisoned that wreck of a QB months ago.

How is it that the CS and FO are so completely blind and stupid about it, and you are so prescient?

I think you deserve to be recruited by Woody Johnson to rectify the injustice.

They aren't. They're throwing him into a 50/50 competition, against a guy with 7 games of NFL experience after 2 seasons, who finished the year with the league's lowest passer rating. If it was that obvious, there would be no competition.

Archived