Shockey traded to the Saints

PhinHater

I hear it's for a 2nd and a 5th, but I don't think it's official. Saints are moving a lot of picks. Aren't these picks potentially ours for Vilma?

that's great question 27. if Vilma signs an extentsion with the saints the Jets are supposed to get a 2nd. so then what happens i wonder.

Good move for both teams. The Giants get rid of a malcontent & pick up some draft picks while the Saints get the TE they desperately need.

I'm sure Drew Brees is a happy guy today.

Not a major upgrade over Eric Johnson. :D

Just heard on WFAN. Anyone have any confirmation?

Sean Payton's persistence finally won out. The New Orleans Saints acquired Jeremy Shockey for a second- and a fifth-round draft pick in 2009.

09000d5d8041e838_video_rhr_280_210.jpg NFL.com Video

2007 Highlight: Jeremy Shockey catches a 29-yard pass against the Cowboys.

The deal was first reported by FOXSports.com.

The Saints had been trying since February to acquire the disgruntled New York Giants tight end. First, they offered a second-round pick. Before the draft, they increased the offer to a second- and a fifth-round draft choice, but the Giants felt he was too valuable to lose until a few days before the start of their training camp. As Payton and Saints general manager Mickey Loomis did their last few minutes of office work before heading to Jackson, Miss., for Wednesday's start of training camp, they received a call from the Giants saying that Shockey was theirs. Even through the weekend, the Saints tried to broker a deal for Shockey. On Sunday, they tried to get in the middle of the Jason Taylor trade to see if there was a way they could make a three-way deal that brought them Shockey, according to multiple sources. Taylor went to the Washington Redskins for a second-round pick in 2009 and a sixth-rounder in 2010.

Most receptions in Giants history

Player Receptions Amani Toomer 620 Tiki Barber 586 Joe Morrison 395 Jeremy Shockey 371 Ike Hilliard 368

Shockey, 28, a four-time Pro Bowler, has 371 catches for 4,228 yards and 27 touchdowns during his six-year NFL career. He grew disgruntled with the Giants because he wanted to be more involved with some downfield passing. The Giants valued his run blocking.

Payton was an offensive coordinator with the Giants during Shockey's rookie season. He caught 74 passes for 894 yards that season. John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

cdwc-139x37-0001.jpg

I hear it's for a 2nd and a 5th, but I don't think it's official. Saints are moving a lot of picks. Aren't these picks potentially ours for Vilma?

That's what I was thinking when I saw it on ESPN. Where's Sperm he usually knows how **** like this works.

Going into camp we have Bubba Franks as are starting TE.The Chris Baker situation is very unsettled and I believe Keller is going to be used as a slot WR. So giving up a 2nd and a 5th wouldnt have been a bad option for the NYJETS to acquire a TE like Shockey NFL proven.A change of scenery will do this guy good.I wish him all the luck in the world.The Saints are looking good offensively and defensively.

Going into camp we have Bubba Franks as are starting TE.The Chris Baker situation is very unsettled and I believe Keller is going to be used as a slot WR. So giving up a 2nd and a 5th wouldnt have been a bad option for the NYJETS to acquire a TE like Shockey NFL proven.A change of scenery will do this guy good.I wish him all the luck in the world.The Saints are looking good offensively and defensively.

doesn't change of scenery imply new scenery?

that's great question 27. if Vilma signs an extentsion with the saints the Jets are supposed to get a 2nd. so then what happens i wonder.

That's what I was thinking when I saw it on ESPN. Where's Sperm he usually knows how **** like this works.

According to Boland's blog it was a 4th this year, plus a 2nd or 3rd in '09 depending on his signing with the Saints and certain conditions with the Jets giving back an '09 4th. Other reports had the '09 pick being a 3rd or 4th.

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/football/jets/blog/2008/02/vilmas_true_worth.html

You want a guy that made Eli Manning, the Super Bowl Champion and guy that beat the Cheatriots and Cindy Brady, on our team? You don't think Chad and Clemens are bad enough on their own without having some guy make them look even worse?

Drew Brees is established so it might not be as much of a problem, but who knows. I wouldn't be surprised at all if within 10 weeks Brees and Shockey have a huge argument.

Uh, yeah, Brees loved Gates. He should find a similar man-love for Shockey. Toss in Bush and Colston and this is a potent offense, with decent protection, and a run-stopping defense.

They should do very well.

I want to get to the bottom of our 2nd round pick-deal.

Actually that's a good question. I don't know who has "first dibs" on that pick or even if there's a rule allowing a first-dibs situation. We made the agreement with the Saints first, but until the criteria (regarding Vilma) are met the pick does not belong to us. That being said, if they trade that pick to the Giants, and the proper criteria are met, there could be a situation where the Saints owe us a pick that they traded away.

But since there is a potential conflict, where the Saints could owe that same 2nd round pick to two teams, I think there's a chance the league could void this. I would think Tannenbaum would be talking to Goodell about it before the trade is made official.

I have a feeling that this means all the talk of adding a second was wrong. I have seen it described as a fourth, third or second with the Jets potentially giving back a fourth to move up to second or third. Just guessing, but I think the Jets will end up with another fourth if Vilma signs with the Saints.

PS: Vilma is supposedly running without a limp and almost 100%. No knee brace.

I have a feeling that this means all the talk of adding a second was wrong. I have seen it described as a fourth, third or second with the Jets potentially giving back a fourth to move up to second or third. Just guessing, but I think the Jets will end up with another fourth if Vilma signs with the Saints.

PS: Vilma is supposedly running without a limp and almost 100%. No knee brace.

There were an awful lot of different sources citing the possibility of us getting their 2nd. I don't think likelihood should factor into it. That pick is potentially the property of the Jets & if so can't be traded to someone else.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23409826/site/21683474/

New York will receive a fourth-round pick this year for Vilma, and, with incentives, that could be upgraded to a third- or possibly a second-rounder next year.

I don't know what's the knock on Shockey, I still think he's a Top 5 TE.

1. Gates

2. Gonzlaez

3. Witten

4. Winslow Jr.

5. Clark / Heap / Cooley

Shockey's Top 10, but not Top 5.

He is as inconsisent as they come and drops big pass after big pass, yet celebrates like he just won the Super Bowl after every single seven yard completion. He had a fantastic rookie season and after that it was all downhill for him here in New York. A classless moron who never stepped it up when it mattered most.

Good move for both teams. The Giants get rid of a malcontent & pick up some draft picks while the Saints get the TE they desperately need.

I'm sure Drew Brees is a happy guy today.

You are absolutely correct Gainzo.

There were an awful lot of different sources citing the possibility of us getting their 2nd. I don't think likelihood should factor into it. That pick is potentially the property of the Jets & if so can't be traded to someone else.

http://www.giantsfootballblog.com/2008/07/22/clarification-on-draft-pick-coming-to-giants/

There's your answer.

Of course likelihood of the Jets getting a second has nothing to do with it. What I meant by likelihood was the likelihood that the reports the Jets could get a second were false. The reports on that trade were all over the map and even the later "this is the real scoop" reports were often in direct contradiction.

Okay, thanks. So the Jets still could get a second, but they won't. I don't like the little blurb that says "at least until FA opens up". WTF does that mean? If Vilma tests the FA market and then signs with the Saints the Jets don't get a sweetener? Talk about situations ripe for tampering.

Archived