ARMY TELLS CAMPBELL TO REPORT FOR DUTY

SayNoToDMC

Dude nobody gives a $hit. There's not going to be some lost kid coming out of high school saying. "Well $hit!! They screwed that scrub from the NFL over bad. I'm not signing on with them!!" This is a nonissue.

What is the percentage of people who join the army that actually finished high school?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what about the really talented highschool athletes that up until this event thought they could still play pro sports? And what about the athletic programs for the academy now that they won't be getting these prospects? A successful athletic program is HUGE for a school, which means huge for the military. And how valuable is a pro athlete in your marketing material? Go ask the companies that spend hundreds of thousands or millions on athlete endorsements.

Army, Navy, Air Force will never have big time sports programs. Never. There arent enough top athletes who would qualify to go to these schools.

Having someone from the Army playing football will have a minimal effect on people choosing to join the armed forces. The days of Roger Staubach player are over.

Are you for real?

The PR at stake for ARMY was huge...off the charts!!!

They F'd it up bigtime.

Dude, if someone wants to sign up for the Army, this little blip on the radar isn't going to stop them. Everyone is making it out to be all about this one kid when that's not the deal. They didn't wake up one morning and say. "You know what? F#ck this kid and f#ck the Lions too!! He's going overseas!!" He just happened to be the one kid that was drafted.

what about the really talented highschool athletes that up until this event thought they could still play pro sports? And what about the athletic programs for the academy now that they won't be getting these prospects? A successful athletic program is HUGE for a school, which means huge for the military. And how valuable is a pro athlete in your marketing material? Go ask the companies that spend hundreds of thousands or millions on athlete endorsements.

The Army, Navy and Air Force athletics have blown donkey balls for years and having one kid dangling on the practice squad was not going to change that. If you're a really talented high school player, you're not signing with Army, you're going to USC or Miami.

Oh No.

I sure hope we don't have to institute a Military Draft to make up for the loss of recruits from the Campbell incident.

LOL

:rl: Mother f#ckers all the sudden would be like. "Ship that b#tch to Iraq pronto!!"

Dude, if someone wants to sign up for the Army, this little blip on the radar isn't going to stop them. Everyone is making it out to be all about this one kid when that's not the deal. They didn't wake up one morning and say. "You know what? F#ck this kid and f#ck the Lions too!! He's going overseas!!" He just happened to be the one kid that was drafted.

The Army dropped the ball. Its as simple as that. They changed the rules in 2005 and then did a 180 (not a 360 Alk!) 2 weeks ago.

same media that created a Pats ticker in wk 8 (path to perfection);)

Absolutely correct, that was rethaded! And, the same media that created the bullsh*t Rams walk-through sh*t storn the eve of the SB and the same media that exacted their "revenge" on BB - the guy that tell 'em to eff off. ( Man, talk about being on a high horse. ;) ) by turning him, and the team, into the Hanibal Lector of the NFL.

I despise Sports Media. And it's not just because of my Pats. For example: Brett Favre. The arse-licking/man love that man gets from all the media outlets in nauseating. I think He and Chris Berman are vacationing in Provincetown right now! It ALWAYS irked me (and I read it here yesterday too) that when Brett "celebrates" a good play, a touchdown, whatever, "he's like a kid out there! He's having fun! Look at the way he's pumping his fist and jumping into the arms of his players!" Anyone else does that, they are being excessive d-bags.

What's worse than ESPN and their ilk? The mindless, idiodic sheep that buy into every message they are trying to ingrain in those tiny brains out there.

Absolutely correct, that was rethaded! And, the same media that created the bullsh*t Rams walk-through sh*t storn the eve of the SB and the same media that exacted their "revenge" on BB - the guy that tell 'em to eff off. ( Man, talk about being on a high horse. ;) ) by turning him, and the team, into the Hanibal Lector of the NFL.

I despise Sports Media. And it's not just because of my Pats. For example: Brett Favre. The arse-licking/man love that man gets from all the media outlets in nauseating. I think He and Chris Berman are vacationing in Provincetown right now! It ALWAYS irked me (and I read it here yesterday too) that when Brett "celebrates" a good play, a touchdown, whatever, "he's like a kid out there! He's having fun! Look at the way he's pumping his fist and jumping into the arms of his players!" Anyone else does that, they are being excessive d-bags.

What's worse than ESPN and their ilk? The mindless, idiodic sheep that buy into every message they are trying to ingrain in those tiny brains out there.

Correct

now go write a review for GG's kid tote

you will especially like my last review

Correct

now go write a review for GG's kid tote

you will especially like my last review

I vote every day! - no clue how to write a review though. I would/will, if/when I know how to!!! Teach me, old man. ;)

The Army dropped the ball. Its as simple as that. They changed the rules in 2005 and then did a 180 (not a 360 Alk!) 2 weeks ago.

What difference would it have made if they changed he rule two months ago or two weeks ago? They changed it in 2005...tried it for a few years and decided it wasn't working so they changed it. I find it impossible to believe that this was all about this Campbell kid like everyone wants to make it out to be.

What difference would it have made if they changed he rule two months ago or two weeks ago? They changed it in 2005...tried it for a few years and decided it wasn't working so they changed it. I find it impossible to believe that this was all about this Campbell kid like everyone wants to make it out to be.

I suggest you read this.

The Army blew it. They implemented a policy that was designed to draw attention to the unique skills and talents of their servicemen and, in the process, make it easier to recruit soldiers to the Army by attracting positive publicity and media attention. The policy was enacted in 2005 because filling the ranks of a volunteer army was increasingly difficult. Caleb Campbell

thats where i disagree with ya. I think someone in the Army was unhappy with this policy and forced change because of the Campbell situation. But we'll never hear this side of the story.

What would the Army do if a baseball or hockey player are drafted? Neither would go to the majors right away... Im sure there is a reason they used to change their mind. It sure wasnt done to screw Campbell, but was revised due to his situation.

Oh No.

I sure hope we don't have to institute a Military Draft to make up for the loss of recruits from the Campbell incident.

LOL

They probably want to do a draft anyway, but wont because there would literally be a revolution if they tried it.

An All Volunteer force is what makes our military the quality it is. Conscripts are just useless.

I agree, you don't want to end up with too many gomer pyles. Hell, I'm in decent shape and I know I couldn't do the whole army thing. I don't have the mental toughness and I'm a sissy pacifist who thanks the military everyday for that freedom to choose to be a sissy pacifist.

I agree, you don't want to end up with too many gomer pyles. Hell, I'm in decent shape and I know I couldn't do the whole army thing. I don't have the mental toughness and I'm a sissy pacifist who thanks the military everyday for that freedom to choose to be a sissy pacifist.

You're not a sissy, you're just doing what you believe in. What counts is you appreciate the fact that there are others out there willing to defend it.

Dude nobody gives a $hit. There's not going to be some lost kid coming out of high school saying. "Well $hit!! They screwed that scrub from the NFL over bad. I'm not signing on with them!!" This is a nonissue.

I'm sure some kid isn't going to say the Army ****ed Campbell, I'm not joining, but bad PR piles up and the Army and our government hasn't got much good PR in awhile now. I don't think they should have had a rule allowing athletes to skip their commitment to begin with, but they had the rule and had no problem allowing this to be the feel good story of the draft letting the media run with it. Plus all the talk of the Army obviously thinking he's more valuable as a soldier then a football player is crap since if you go to PFT.com right now he will apparently be serving the next 2 years as a coach at West Point. I just think it's stupid on the Army's part to allow this to happen. Plus the Lions should be ****ing pissed, maby Camble would have sucked but what if he turned out to be this years Colston.

Sorry brothers, but you're not going to get an ounce of sympathy from me, or most likely, any other veteran on this board, The second he signed up for the process, and accepted the appointment to West Point, he knew it came with a 5 year post-graduation committment. There is no denying it, no disputing it. While I was commissioned through ROTC, there is no form of caviat or exception for a student-athlete at USMA, nor should there be. Unlike USC, FSU, UM, OSU and the rest of the football factories, the students at USMA are there for the education and most importantly, to prepare for their future career as an officer in the United States Army. If they can play a sport, and perhaps be really good at it, it doesn't matter. We're in the middle of a war, whether your agree with it or not, and West Point's job since its inception, is to educate, build and generate junior officers. Whatever they do at their 5 year mark is their business, but why should someone with some football talent be any different from any other West Point student? How do you tell a guy, "You're going to Iraq next year, while Campbell is going to play in the NFL"?

Sorry boys, you're all dead wrong in my opinion. He's a second lieutenant, then a football player, not the other way around. If he really wanted to play football while serving his nation as a reservist/national guardsman, he should have went somewhere else and gone ROTC.

I wish him the best of luck with his future Army career.

what this does is defers anyone else with an NFL dream from signing up at West Point. They went after my nephew, and he turned it down. Yes he knew it was 5 yrs, THAT is why Army football will NEVER be a powerhouse like it was yrs ago!

BTW, they play Army in game one this year! UNH vs. Army!

The only BS here is the Army ever telling this guy he could play football, which was a bad move on their part. He got 4 years of world-class education at West Point for free, and in return he signed a contract pledging service to this country. It wouldn't be fair to other West Point grads, let alone troops around the world, to let the guy out of his commitment just because the NFL came knocking.

Tell that to the 30 other former service men who are now players in professional Baseball's minor leagues, Hockey, and Basketball who were given permission prior to this young man's attempt to put the US Army on the map as a potential high-length recruiter.

All of this just because the Secretary of Defense decided to lay down the law when the Air Force & Navy argued his position a month ago.

Why didn't they gripe in April?

Why did it take until the day before camp?

The day before he was to sign a long term contract?

Dbatesman, I am appalled at our secretary of defense - but what do you expect when in an "election year" all rules & regulations are based on the GOP & not the branch or service...

If Roger Goodell was truly trying to do his job & not trying to keep Brett Farve happy, he should act on this...

I'd rather one guy get a break and end up with a free education than the Army of the United States of America go back on their word like that. But hey, the way we'll be spread out once we start a war with Iran, we'll need every soldier we can get.

Tell that to the 30 other former service men who are now players in professional Baseball's minor leagues, Hockey, and Basketball who were given permission prior to this young man's attempt to put the US Army on the map as a potential high-length recruiter.

All of this just because the Secretary of Defense decided to lay down the law when the Air Force & Navy argued his position a month ago.

Why didn't they gripe in April?

Why did it take until the day before camp?

The day before he was to sign a long term contract?

Dbatesman, I am appalled at our secretary of defense - but what do you expect when in an "election year" all rules & regulations are based on the GOP & not the branch or service...

If Roger Goodell was truly trying to do his job & not trying to keep Brett Farve happy, he should act on this...

Maybe it's just me but I found these 2 parts of your post hysterical. 1st up the GOP has NOTHING to do with this and secondly do you really think the DOD gives 2 hoots about what Roger Goodell thinks? Please

Maybe it's just me but I found these 2 parts of your post hysterical. 1st up the GOP has NOTHING to do with this and secondly do you really think the DOD gives 2 hoots about what Roger Goodell thinks? Please

That would be a bigger PR mess for the NFL than people claim this is for the Army.

This post just single handedly ruined any credibility as a poster you may have had to this point.

I'd write a response to that ridiculous accusation but then again, why bother. It's absolutely ludicrous on its face.

Archived