ARMY TELLS CAMPBELL TO REPORT FOR DUTY

SayNoToDMC

ARMY TELLS CAMPBELL TO REPORT FOR DUTY

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 23, 2008, 5:24 p.m. EDT

When the Detroit Lions used a seventh-round draft pick on Army safety Caleb Campbell in April, Department of Defense policy allowed West Point graduates to avoid active military service if they had the ability to become professional athletes.

Now the Department of Defense has changed that policy, and Campbell will not be able to play for the Lions.

U.S. Army Lt. Col. Jonathan P. Liba wrote a letter to Lions president Matt Millen today, saying Campbell has been ordered to give up football for

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only BS here is the Army ever telling this guy he could play football, which was a bad move on their part. He got 4 years of world-class education at West Point for free, and in return he signed a contract pledging service to this country. It wouldn't be fair to other West Point grads, let alone troops around the world, to let the guy out of his commitment just because the NFL came knocking.

The only BS here is the Army ever telling this guy he could play football, which was a bad move on their part. He got 4 years of world-class education at West Point for free, and in return he signed a contract pledging service to this country. It wouldn't be fair to other West Point grads, let alone troops around the world, to let the guy out of his commitment just because the NFL came knocking.

If he has the talent to play in the NFL then how the **** is it not fair?

Sorry brothers, but you're not going to get an ounce of sympathy from me, or most likely, any other veteran on this board, The second he signed up for the process, and accepted the appointment to West Point, he knew it came with a 5 year post-graduation committment. There is no denying it, no disputing it. While I was commissioned through ROTC, there is no form of caviat or exception for a student-athlete at USMA, nor should there be. Unlike USC, FSU, UM, OSU and the rest of the football factories, the students at USMA are there for the education and most importantly, to prepare for their future career as an officer in the United States Army. If they can play a sport, and perhaps be really good at it, it doesn't matter. We're in the middle of a war, whether your agree with it or not, and West Point's job since its inception, is to educate, build and generate junior officers. Whatever they do at their 5 year mark is their business, but why should someone with some football talent be any different from any other West Point student? How do you tell a guy, "You're going to Iraq next year, while Campbell is going to play in the NFL"?

Sorry boys, you're all dead wrong in my opinion. He's a second lieutenant, then a football player, not the other way around. If he really wanted to play football while serving his nation as a reservist/national guardsman, he should have went somewhere else and gone ROTC.

I wish him the best of luck with his future Army career.

'W" has his grand daddy get him out of Vietnam so Georgie can take care of this..oh... He's too busy running the damn economy into the freakin ground..I know wrong forum ,but this is crap...The Army got a lot of positive pubilicity from him getting drafted and now there punkin him like this..disgraceful!

'.The Army got a lot of positive pubilicity from him getting drafted and now there punkin him like this..disgraceful!

First of all keep your politics to yourself because nobody cares.

Second, give me a freaking break. Are you kidding me? The Army is 'punking' him because they're making him serve his commitment? Does anyone own up to contracts they voluntarily signed anymore? Do you honestly think that the Army got recruits because one of their cadets got drafted in the 7th round by the freaking Lions? He knew exactly what could happen. Did the Army screw up by letting him go into the draft? Most likely. Is it a disgrace? Not even fricken close.

Whatever they do at their 5 year mark is their business, but why should someone with some football talent be any different from any other West Point student? How do you tell a guy, "You're going to Iraq next year, while Campbell is going to play in the NFL"?

Because a career in professional sports is different than any other career. Especially in the NFL, where the window is particularly short. Here's a kid who has the opportunity to potentially make a lot of money, all while very publicly singing the praises of his military education. He'd be a tremendous, feel good, PR story for the armed forces for as long as he stayed on in the NFL.

And when his football career was over, he could complete his full obligation to the government at that time.

I think the gov't is missing an opportunity and limiting the opportunity of a good young man at the same time. It's a shame.

Couldn't have said it any better. Nice job.

Sorry brothers, but you're not going to get an ounce of sympathy from me, or most likely, any other veteran on this board, The second he signed up for the process, and accepted the appointment to West Point, he knew it came with a 5 year post-graduation committment. There is no denying it, no disputing it. While I was commissioned through ROTC, there is no form of caviat or exception for a student-athlete at USMA, nor should there be. Unlike USC, FSU, UM, OSU and the rest of the football factories, the students at USMA are there for the education and most importantly, to prepare for their future career as an officer in the United States Army. If they can play a sport, and perhaps be really good at it, it doesn't matter. We're in the middle of a war, whether your agree with it or not, and West Point's job since its inception, is to educate, build and generate junior officers. Whatever they do at their 5 year mark is their business, but why should someone with some football talent be any different from any other West Point student? How do you tell a guy, "You're going to Iraq next year, while Campbell is going to play in the NFL"?

Sorry boys, you're all dead wrong in my opinion. He's a second lieutenant, then a football player, not the other way around. If he really wanted to play football while serving his nation as a reservist/national guardsman, he should have went somewhere else and gone ROTC.

POTW nom. right here. Talk about a "right on the money" comment ! :sign0098:

I find it comical that some people in this thread rip the Army and in a Chris Baker thread rip him the same. Campbell signed a contract with the military and he has to honor it. It's a pretty fair comparison.

yeah and the army signed a contract with him that if he was drafted he could play football so they should honor it too.

ya know i get that the army caught a lot of **** for that, but don't make the freaking rule retroactive. (i'm talking to you Dept of Justice)

i mean one day before training camp way to screw a guy over

Yeah the timing REALLY sucked. If I understand it correctly both Navy and Air Force grads HAVE to complete their service requirements before turning pro. West Point grads didn't. That put Army at an advantage when recuiting . This ruling levels the playing field.

I agree with you, but they shouldn't have allowed him to be drafted then, or it should have been the same **** as when David Robinson was drafted where the team knew he had a commitment.

I agree with you, but they shouldn't have allowed him to be drafted then, or it should have been the same **** as when David Robinson was drafted where the team knew he had a commitment.

Luckily for the Admiral it was only a 2 year hitch. ;)

Surely there must be some way around that bull**** rule.

You mean the bull**** rule that covered his education for 4 yrs, totally free, at a top notch US School, guaranteeing him a well paying high ranking job in the military? You mean the bull**** rule he AGREED TO without a gun to his head after his 2nd year at West Point?

Luckily for the Admiral it was only a 2 year hitch. ;)

Lucky for the Admiral he was too tall for the doorways on a naval vessel.

And the reality is that Campbell can also get out in 2 years. Whether he would or wouldn't differs, because for Robinson paying back the government for his education was going to be pocket-change for the former #1 pick in the country. Campbell faces much longer odds to make it in the NFL and be able to pay the $120K with such relative ease.

Army was dumb to get his hopes up only to re-neg on it. But you don't just tell the kid he can keep his free top-tier education. He had a contract with the government, whereby both parties get something. Saying they'd relieve him of his obligation is not a contract; the government gets nothing in return (and don't tell me PR; that's only valuable if he is, or is likely to become, an all-time-great superstar like Robinson). They will have spent time and money educating Campbell instead of someone who would serve the 5 years promised.

His only argument could have been if he signed his contract while the (what turned out to be temporary) rule was in place, that allowed him to enter the NFL if he got drafted. But that didn't occur. When he signed up, he knew he had to do 5 years. And he said, "I'll take it."

i would have been surprised if he made the roster anyway

Bitonti brings up a great point here. We're doing a lot of arguing about a 7th round draft pick here, anything but a lock to make the squad, even with the Lions. While it's always a good story to see a guy from a "small" school (In terms of football) make the big time, there's a cold hard reality that in another month, he'd be on the outside, looking in. Ask yourself this: If Campbell isn't in the Army, does anyone know who he is?

F the army

then they y shouldn't have let him been drafted

another great PR move

I won't argue that the Army appears to possibly have 'messed' this thing up from day one, but as any Army vet knows, when it comes to the "Needs of the Army", they don't care. :) Campbell isn't the first, and won't be the last to get "misled", if that's what in fact may have happened, for the needs of the Army. It comes with the territory when you sign up for the Army....all the way from E-1 to O-6. Hey, if I got into the plans I had to cancel because the Army was sending me to Kosovo in 1999, you'd see what I mean.

Seriously though, do you think the Army is going to lose one recruit, enlisted or officer, over this hiccup? Not a chance.

Lucky for the Admiral he was too tall for the doorways on a naval vessel.

And the reality is that Campbell can also get out in 2 years. Whether he would or wouldn't differs, because for Robinson paying back the government for his education was going to be pocket-change for the former #1 pick in the country. Campbell faces much longer odds to make it in the NFL and be able to pay the $120K with such relative ease.

Army was dumb to get his hopes up only to re-neg on it. But you don't just tell the kid he can keep his free top-tier education. He had a contract with the government, whereby both parties get something. Saying they'd relieve him of his obligation is not a contract; the government gets nothing in return (and don't tell me PR; that's only valuable if he is, or is likely to become, an all-time-great superstar like Robinson). They will have spent time and money educating Campbell instead of someone who would serve the 5 years promised.

His only argument could have been if he signed his contract while the (what turned out to be temporary) rule was in place, that allowed him to enter the NFL if he got drafted. But that didn't occur. When he signed up, he knew he had to do 5 years. And he said, "I'll take it."

Great post Sperm!!

That is such a load of bull****. They should not be allowed to go back on their word like that after telling him he could and should do it. What a bunch of horse****. **** the Army.

Tell that to the thousands of soldiers who went to Iraq expecting a 12 month tour only to have it extended to 15 months. Nothing in life is fair and the sooner you figure that out the better. They're the f#cking Army they can change $hit as they see fit and right now they need soldiers not training camp fodder.

Too many of the young in this country think everything should be given to them for free simply because they want it.

What about the next kid who, upon graduating from a military academy, says "I shouldn't have to serve my commitment. I have a business opportunity with a small window of time, and I could possibly make lots of money."? Why is the NFL more important than any other small windows of opportunity? Because we're football fans? Or is the government supposed to evaluate each graduate's immediate non-government potential and make the determination as to which ones they feel are worthwhile endeavors?

The rule was created in 2005. He signed up in 2004. And we were already at war then, and I'm fairly certain he knew about it. End of story.

If his freshman year was in 2005, then I'd feel differently about the situation. That is not the case, so he has to serve.

Too many of the young in this country think everything should be given to them for free simply because they want it.

What about the next kid who, upon graduating from a military academy, says "I shouldn't have to serve my commitment. I have a business opportunity with a small window of time, and I could possibly make lots of money."? Why is the NFL more important than any other small windows of opportunity? Because we're football fans? Or is the government supposed to evaluate each graduate's immediate non-government potential and make the determination as to which ones they feel are worthwhile endeavors?

The rule was created in 2005. He signed up in 2004. And we were already at war then, and I'm fairly certain he knew about it. End of story.

If his freshman year was in 2005, then I'd feel totally differently about the situation. That is not the case, so he has to serve.

Caleb could help the army more by playing in NFL from a PR perspective.

the army also wanted to attract more athletes to its football program as well.

Caleb could help the army more by playing in NFL from a PR perspective.

the army also wanted to attract more athletes to its football program as well.

That is your opinion.

Clearly the army thinks he is more valuable as a full-time officer for the next 5 years (particularly during wartime) than as a desk-jockey recruiter after a year or two on the Detroit Lions special teams/practice squad units.

The purpose of West Point Military Academy is to turn bright young people into officers. There are many other colleges & universities that are better options for those with NFL aspirations.

He can make a case to get out after 2 years if he so desires, and pay the government back for the education, room, board, etc. that he received for the past 4 years.

Archived