OK THIS Friggin' Tears It With Pennington for me

SoFlaJets

Pennington reveals he played with 2 torn ligaments: Gholston to sign

by Dave Hutchinson

Thursday July 24, 2008, 11:56 AM

Jets quarterback Chad Pennington revealed yesterday after the first training camp practice at Hofstra that he played last season with two torn ligaments in his right ankle. He injured the ankle in the season-opener against the Patriots and sat out the following game at Baltimore before returning to the lineup.

``It was tough,'' he said. ``It was rreally tough. Two torn ligaments in my right ankle. It was extremely difficult. It was an injury I could've easily taken three weeks off. But you guys know how I am. I don't believe in that.

``If I can play and walk and function, I'm going to be out there regardless.. So it was tough.''

Pennington, who suffered two career-threatening shoulder surgeries, said his ankle injury was worse.

``The first two months of the offseason, I had to recenter my body. My whole body had shiffted to my left. I had to really concentrate on getting things back to the middle, getting the ankle stronger and getting the flexibility back in it. That was one of the toughest injuries.'' ...

Meanwhile, as The Star Ledger reported this morning, the Jets and linebacker Vernon Gholston are on the verge of a deal. It's expected to be for five years, according to someone with knowledge of the talks who requested anonymity because he's not authorized to speak for the Jets or Gholston.

``We could see a Vernon Gholston sighting,'' said coach Eric Mangini during his noon press conference.

Finally, TE Chris Baker toned down his rhetoric today and proclaimed he's not a happy camper. He said his representatives and the Jets have been working towards a ``resolution'' to his situation. Baker is unhappy with his contract.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pennington reveals he played with 2 torn ligaments: Gholston to sign

by Dave Hutchinson

Thursday July 24, 2008, 11:56 AM

Jets quarterback Chad Pennington revealed yesterday after the first training camp practice at Hofstra that he played last season with two torn ligaments in his right ankle. He injured the ankle in the season-opener against the Patriots and sat out the following game at Baltimore before returning to the lineup.

``It was tough,'' he said. ``It was rreally tough. Two torn ligaments in my right ankle. It was extremely difficult. It was an injury I could've easily taken three weeks off. But you guys know how I am. I don't believe in that.

``If I can play and walk and function, I'm going to be out there regardless.. So it was tough.''

Pennington, who suffered two career-threatening shoulder surgeries, said his ankle injury was worse.

``The first two months of the offseason, I had to recenter my body. My whole body had shiffted to my left. I had to really concentrate on getting things back to the middle, getting the ankle stronger and getting the flexibility back in it. That was one of the toughest injuries.'' ...

Meanwhile, as The Star Ledger reported this morning, the Jets and linebacker Vernon Gholston are on the verge of a deal. It's expected to be for five years, according to someone with knowledge of the talks who requested anonymity because he's not authorized to speak for the Jets or Gholston.

``We could see a Vernon Gholston sighting,'' said coach Eric Mangini during his noon press conference.

Finally, TE Chris Baker toned down his rhetoric today and proclaimed he's not a happy camper. He said his representatives and the Jets have been working towards a ``resolution'' to his situation. Baker is unhappy with his contract.

Noodle ankle.

anybody STILL want this guy starting for you? He'll let his ego get in the way of what's best for the team-no thanks

So because he played hurt he has a big ego? Its amazing LT has no heart because he didn't play in the playoff game aganist the Pats. I also guess you have rather had Quincy Carter start the playoff game in Pittsburgh than too right? Chad had a seperated shoulder and played the game.

If the doctor's told Chad he had two torn ligaments, then the coaches knew as well. Mangini should have pulled him earlier than 1-7 since it was obvious something was wrong. I never really believed it was just a sprain just by how he was twisted.

If the doctor's told Chad he had two torn ligaments, then the coaches knew as well. Mangini should have pulled him earlier than 1-7 since it was obvious something was wrong. I never really believed it was just a sprain just by how he was twisted.

Do you remember how he came off the field. There is NO WAY that was a sprain the way he as pounding on the floor i thought he tore his ACL.

anybody STILL want this guy starting for you? He'll let his ego get in the way of what's best for the team-no thanks

Yeah I'm just so freakin pissed at Chad for trying to win games for us when it's obvious nobody else was going to do any better, not everyones favorite Kellen : I Dance The Two Step In The Pocket Like No Other" Clemens.

come on sofla, it really is a catch22 situation. When Abe cried and didn't want to play we all ripped him, when chad wants to play through the pain and the staff let him, we are going to rip him too? The way I see it, he didn't really visibly look like he had a major ankle problem, he wasn't gimpy enough that anyone speculated he had a problem, so how did he really get in the way of what was best for the team? Besides, it wasn't like when we went to the next guy things really improved much, heck, we are going into qb battle all over again!

Exactly right. it's on the coach who simply must have know the injury report. You can't blame a guy for wanting to play, seriously.

I know you guys will find a way to spin this but even so, it's on mangini, not Pennington.

Exactly right. it's on the coach who simply must have know the injury report. You can't blame a guy for wanting to play, seriously.

I know you guys will find a way to spin this but even so, it's on mangini, not Pennington.

Are you channeling your inner ecurb? :P

Its not Chads fault. Blame the coaches!

come on sofla, it really is a catch22 situation. When Abe cried and didn't want to play we all ripped him, when chad wants to play through the pain and the staff let him, we are going to rip him too? The way I see it, he didn't really visibly look like he had a major ankle problem, he wasn't gimpy enough that anyone speculated he had a problem, so how did he really get in the way of what was best for the team? Besides, it wasn't like when we went to the next guy things really improved much, heck, we are going into qb battle all over again!

Exactly. Its like Chad went 1-7 and Kellen came in and lit it up and we fell short of the playoffs by 2 games, he didn't cost us anything.

What this tells me is that Pennington is too fragile to be our long term answer at QB.

Playing with injury's is one thing...getting them ALL the time is another.

Pass...

Put Clemens in there and let's go.

We'll live with the Ups and Downs of a young QB.

It's his time...Penny is shot.

What this tells me is that Pennington is too fragile to be our long term answer at QB.

Playing with injury's is one thing...getting them ALL the time is another.

Pass...

Put Clemens in there and let's go.

We'll live with the Ups and Downs of a young QB.

It's his time...Penny is shot.

exactly-it's like when we had Lamont Jordan sitting on the bench for a whole month when Curtis Martin was getting 3 yards a run-there comes a time that you have to do what's best for the team-and it can come from the coach OR the player

Truth. You want players who want to play all the time. Chad could obviously get out onto the field, and the coach felt that was his best option at QB.

But now it would somehow be better if Chad had said, "Hey coach, I can't go,"? I don't think so. I suspect that would've really ratcheted up the anti-Chad rhetoric around here.

exactly-it's like when we had Lamont Jordan sitting on the bench for a whole month when Curtis Martin was getting 3 yards a run-there comes a time that you have to do what's best for the team-and it can come from the coach OR the player

I would lose a lot of respect for a player who would willingly pull himself out of a game if he felt he could continue.

I know what a lose that was.. letting a HOF running back continue to be our starter? And btw the last time I check Lamont Jordan was told to come no where near the Raiders mini-camp and now training camp.. WHAT WERE THE JETS THINKING??!!??

At what point does "heart" become "stupidity".

same thing as when Herm announced to God and everybody that since the season was a lost cause that the Jets were going to try and get Curtis his thousand-ended that career

I know what a lose that was.. letting a HOF running back continue to be our starter? And btw the last time I check Lamont Jordan was told to come no where near the Raiders mini-camp and now training camp.. WHAT WERE THE JETS THINKING??!!??

so what, you would rather have an injured player playing when you have two healthy ones in the wings-sounds absolutely Edwardsian

Archived