Separate Transaction involving Chad by 4 Pm Tomorrow

InstantClassic

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Chad will get us a mid to late round pick. I have not checked the cap situations of the various potential destinations but if CP fits then the GM makes a move and gives up a 4th or 5th rounder to beat out the other possible suitors. Cheap price-day 2 pick_ for a QB who has ability (limitations too) for a team where those abilities fit.

I believe Chad will get us a mid to late round pick. I have not checked the cap situations of the various potential destinations but if CP fits then the GM makes a move and gives up a 4th or 5th rounder to beat out the other possible suitors. Cheap price-day 2 pick_ for a QB who has ability (limitations too) for a team where those abilities fit.

Best we probably can get at this point is a provisional 6th with the possibility to move up to a 5th or 4th depending on performance.

But, expect him to be cut today.

How will it happen? The Jets need to cut Pennington to fit Favre in the salary cap. Other teams know it, so it's not like the Jets can sit on Pennington until they work something out.

Dont get me wrong, I dont expect Chad to get traded. He is worthless and every team knows this. But, the FO must do its job and pursue a trade. If there is none there, then release him and then we can say all the right things about respecting him. And we wont need to worry about guys wanting to play for us because we're nice. Winning cures all ills.

I would not say Chad is worthless. There are sure to be some teams that would be interested. But at this late date, and knowing the Jets have to unload Chad to make cap room for Favre, they will simply wait for the jets to release him.

I would not say Chad is worthless. There are sure to be some teams that would be interested. But at this late date, and knowing the Jets have to unload Chad to make cap room for Favre, they will simply wait for the jets to release him.

Not worthless but worth less than his $6M/year contract. He's not worthless as a QB or he'd be out of the league, but finding somebody willing to cough up a pick AND that money isn't going to be easy. Especially at this point.

The only way Chad has any trade value whatsoever is if other teams interested in him feel there would be a bidding war for him. They avoid a bidding war, avoid a signing bonus, and this way they also get him into cap in 1 day instead of weeks (after he ponders contract negotiations with multiple teams).

The only way Chad has any trade value whatsoever is if other teams interested in him feel there would be a bidding war for him. They avoid a bidding war, avoid a signing bonus, and this way they also get him into cap in 1 day instead of weeks (after he ponders contract negotiations with multiple teams).

Exactly the point-maybe save a few bucks and a pick if you can sign him away from someone else. Its a safe way to go and gives you some certainty of getting him. Herm is probably waking Peterson up now.

That is what I meant by worthless. Not that he cant play, but he has zero value for us now. If we release him it means he is worthless to us. He cant get us anything in return.

Right.

There could very well be a team out there who wants Chad badly enough that they're not willing to wait and see what happens once he hits the open market. All it takes is one.

. We could have just kept him as a backup, does anybody really want Clemens as the backup?

totally agree. i dont think he wants to be a back up.. but after a year and brett goes elsewhere.. well then where will we be.

OY!

I would not be so surprised that since they can not get some type of trade value for Pennington, they release him today only to resign him on Friday for a much lower contract - reducing the cap.

Clements may be the clue to this.

Since the organization has not been too happy with his camp, as of this date, they may also be sending a message to him that unless he straightens up at QB - He could be next.

Especially since they can get value for him...

I would not be so surprised that since they can not get some type of trade value for Pennington, they release him today only to resign him on Friday for a much lower contract - reducing the cap.

Clements may be the clue to this.

Since the organization has not been too happy with his camp, as of this date, they may also be sending a message to him that unless he straightens up at QB - He could be next.

Especially since they can get value for him...

Why wouldn't they just restructure him then? There would be no difference either way except you wouldn't lose risking them. The only "benefits" they get with your plan are:

1) His dead money cap hit is accelerated all into 2008 (I don't see this as a benefit)

2) They "throw him a bone" giving him a chance to find a starting gig and if he doesn't he comes back.

I would say trade him away to anyone who will give him anything.

If anyone is willing to trade for him at this point, that means that they have an immediate need for a starting qb, otherwise they would have just waited for him to be cut.

Let's get him to a good home, but in the NFC if possible (Vikes, Bears, Chiefs, etc)

Archived