Separate Transaction involving Chad by 4 Pm Tomorrow

InstantClassic

Chad's a backup, so that's fine.

He's been a starter since 2002, whether you like that or not. As such, he constitutes a possible threat to a young QB whose transition to a starting role has been made into a nightmare.

If the Packers wanted a veteran backup, it would make more sense to have a former starter who has been a backup for the past couple of years at least.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pennington to be traded or released by the NY Jets As Per ESPN Sports Center. I guess Kellen Clemens did enough during the off season to secure his seat.

P.S. Though we've had our ups and downs with Chad, We've never come as close to a QB that gave us hope since Namath as did Pennington. Though, I so wanted him out of here, it wasnt because I didnt like him, but for the better of the team. I, as well as all Jet fans wish you much success. You're a stand up dude.

Pennington to be traded or released by the NY Jets As Per ESPN Sports Center. I guess Kellen Clemens did enough during the off season to secure his seat.

P.S. Though we've had our ups and downs with Chad, We've never come as close to a QB that gave us hope since Namath as did Pennington. Though, I so wanted him out of here, it wasnt because I didnt like him, but for the better of the team. I, as well as all Jet fans wish you much success. You're a stand up dude.

i hope we can trade him for anything it really doesnt matter.

He will be released. At this point I can't imagine why a team would trade for him when they know he'll be gone momentarily...wait a second...Herm is still in the league isn't he? :rl:

Perhaps to avoid a bidding war? Usually the rationale for a non-move is "they'd lose trade value, so Tangini can't say anything" but now this time the presser is announced and we admit we'll get rid of him, instead of keeping him as a backup. Oh well, whatever, I don't think that really works anyway. Everyone knows when you're going to get rid of someone, and that's why trades in the NFL generally don't happen, or if they do, you don't get much in return for whatever you traded.

Eh. Since we didn't get a discount by sending Chad to GB, maybe we do the classy thing and just cut ties with him so he can choose his landing spot.

Minny, Chicago or KC will pick him up... Let him decide where he wants to play.

Maybe.

I hope Chad the best of luck. He wasn't always successful but he gave 100% on every down and for that you have to respect him. He bled green while he was here and he is a genuine Class act. Wherever he ends up, I wish him all the best. Hopefully he will be a starter, because he is definetely goood enough.

Maybe.

I hope Chad the best of luck. He wasn't always successful but he gave 100% on every down and for that you have to respect him. He bled green while he was here and he is a genuine Class act. Wherever he ends up, I wish him all the best. Hopefully he will be a starter, because he is definetely goood enough.

Yeah! Whats up IJ, Late-night crew is in effect!

Chad is the man. He's probably the first Jet I'd pick to go golfing with; a genuine good guy. He made me a fan of the team, and I'll do nothing but cheer for his success. In the meantime I've gotten pretty attached to this team... and it's time to move on. In today's NFL you need to be quick-minded, strong-armed, accurate, and nimble. Chad, at best is 2 out of 4. The league will eventually move toward Mike Vick types, or Cannon-armed pocket QBs. There's no room for injury-prone brainiacs, just too much athletic evolution.

Eh. Since we didn't get a discount by sending Chad to GB, maybe we do the classy thing and just cut ties with him so he can choose his landing spot.

Minny, Chicago or KC will pick him up... Let him decide where he wants to play.

I appreciate everything Chad did for us, but screw classy. This is a competitive sport. We cant give up draft picks to be classy. We need to get whatever we can for him, if anything.

Im tired of being classy.

I appreciate everything Chad did for us, but screw classy. This is a competitive sport. We cant give up draft picks to be classy. We need to get whatever we can for him, if anything.

Im tired of being classy.

You're right... we should assign him into a rookie dorm--that'll teach him. :bag:

The team has a greater focus now than to get headlines with CP's new landing-spot. We would need to "generate" suitors then bargain with them for a couple weeks, when really the team should just move forward.

The dude's getting shafted as it is. No need to make it harder on him.

You're right... we should assign him into a rookie dorm--that'll teach him. :bag:

The team has a greater focus now than to get headlines with CP's new landing-spot. We would need to "generate" suitors then bargain with them for a couple weeks, when really the team should just move forward.

The dude's getting shafted as it is. No need to make it harder on him.

Its not about Chad. Its about maximizing the value he has. If he is worth anything, you get what you can for him. You dont give up a draft pick just so we look like nice guys.

Its not about headlines or anything else. Just capitalizing on what value he has.

Its not about Chad. Its about maximizing the value he has. If he is worth anything, you get what you can for him. You dont give up a draft pick just so we look like nice guys.

Its not about headlines or anything else. Just capitalizing on what value he has.

don't get me wrong--I'd love that. I love draft picks. But at which point do you say, "hey pal, you've restructured your contract... you've undergone multiple surgeries... you've maintained a winnning attitude despite this "QB competition" crap... we're not going to hold you hostage... best of luck"

Treating a player with respect will be recognized by other players throughout the league... hell, that how we got Pace to sign here. He said the way the Jets treated a player (I forget his name; but he was unable to play anymore--and we honored his contract out of respect)....

If we want strong character players we have to be willing to play the part as well.

Unless the phones start ringing... we have to respect Chad for what he's done for our team.

They'll try to trade him but if they can't strike a deal by 4pm EDT, he's gone.

Looks like tonights game will be Kellen Clemens with the 1st team (like it will f'ing matter!) and Rattlif & Ainge or Smith for the remaining 3 quarters.

don't get me wrong--I'd love that. I love draft picks. But at which point do you say, "hey pal, you've restructured your contract... you've undergone multiple surgeries... you've maintained a winnning attitude despite this "QB competition" crap... we're not going to hold you hostage... best of luck"

Treating a player with respect will be recognized by other players throughout the league... hell, that how we got Pace to sign here. He said the way the Jets treated a player (I forget his name; but he was unable to play anymore--and we honored his contract out of respect)....

If we want strong character players we have to be willing to play the part as well.

Unless the phones start ringing... we have to respect Chad for what he's done for our team.

Dont get me wrong, I dont expect Chad to get traded. He is worthless and every team knows this. But, the FO must do its job and pursue a trade. If there is none there, then release him and then we can say all the right things about respecting him. And we wont need to worry about guys wanting to play for us because we're nice. Winning cures all ills.

Dont get me wrong, I dont expect Chad to get traded. He is worthless and every team knows this. But, the FO must do its job and pursue a trade. If there is none there, then release him and then we can say all the right things about respecting him. And we wont need to worry about guys wanting to play for us because we're nice. Winning cures all ills.

worthless?

really?

seven hours ago he was our starting qb. I'm glad we can end the chad vs. [???] debates so I'll leave this comment at this: Chad is an NFL starter and will find a home in this league either starting for the Vikings or Chiefs or as a well-paid back-up.

We can all cut the 'Chad is crap' routine cause he is no longer our problem. As a player, as a person, we can celebrate his moving-forward and wish him the best of circumstances... He is a stand-up guy. As a team we need to focus on team-issues and team-improvement. Chad is no longer a part of those plans--but we don't need to delay the inevitable.

Teams will know we are parting ways--but that he still has worth. What that worth is, should (in part) be incorporated into our trading decision--one I think we should respect him with. Allow him the courtesy to choose the trading partner.

business? yes. heartless? no.

I say we let him go. He's done his due justice with this team. Afford him the ability to select his landing spot.

He's been nothing but classy--We should return him the favor.

I say we ask him where he wants to go (Minnesota) and deal him there for a 6th or 7th. If Minnesota is smart, they say no....and get him for free but a couple days later.

worthless?

really?

seven hours ago he was our starting qb. I'm glad we can end the chad vs. [???] debates so I'll leave this comment at this: Chad is an NFL starter and will find a home in this league either starting for the Vikings or Chiefs or as a well-paid back-up.

We can all cut the 'Chad is crap' routine cause he is no longer our problem. As a player, as a person, we can celebrate his moving-forward and wish him the best of circumstances... He is a stand-up guy. As a team we need to focus on team-issues and team-improvement. Chad is no longer a part of those plans--but we don't need to delay the inevitable.

Teams will know we are parting ways--but that he still has worth. What that worth is, should (in part) be incorporated into our trading decision--one I think we should respect him with. Allow him the courtesy to choose the trading partner.

business? yes. heartless? no.

Yes. Worthless. As in trade value. No team in their right mind gives us anything of value for him when he could be a FA by the end of the day.

But if he has any value, you pursue a trade. And to a team that gives us the best value for him. Not to a team that he wants, then we get even less value for him.

The Jets cut guys every day that work hard any try their best. There is no caring about a player and their feelings. This is a brutal business. Guys lose their jobs all the time. Screw the nice guy routine. Do whats right for the franchise.

Yes. Worthless. As in trade value. No team in their right mind gives us anything of value for him when he could be a FA by the end of the day.

But if he has any value, you pursue a trade. And to a team that gives us the best value for him. Not to a team that he wants, then we get even less value for him.

The Jets cut guys every day that work hard any try their best. There is no caring about a player and their feelings. This is a brutal business. Guys lose their jobs all the time. Screw the nice guy routine. Do whats right for the franchise.

Trading involves taking on a guy's contract. Letting Chad go actually helps him select the team he wants to play without the distractions of a trading war/hold out/attention away from more pressing matters.

Do you see the contradiction in what you're saying? you say he has no value--but that we should trade him to get what we can get for him.

make up your mind. Is he worthless? or is he worth distracting the team from progressing; until we can squeeze a seventh round pick out of some hapless team?

I'm sure they have already made tons of trade attempts conditional on this deal... but everyone knows he's gone, so why deal for him.

The only reason to wait might be if there is a deal conditional on him taking a pay cut. They'd need time to talk to the agent. Like the DRob mess with Denver.

Getting rid of Pennington does not mean the Jets like Clemens better. It just means they can't have $18+M locked up in on position.

Trading involves taking on a guy's contract. Letting Chad go actually helps him select the team he wants to play without the distractions of a trading war/hold out/attention away from more pressing matters.

Do you see the contradiction in what you're saying? you say he has no value--but that we should trade him to get what we can get for him.

make up your mind. Is he worthless? or is he worth distracting the team from progressing; until we can squeeze a seventh round pick out of some hapless team?

Read again my friend.

We need to get whatever we can for him, if anything.

Yes. Worthless. As in trade value. No team in their right mind gives us anything of value for him when he could be a FA by the end of the day. But if he has any value, you pursue a trade. And to a team that gives us the best value for him. Not to a team that he wants, then we get even less value for him. The Jets cut guys every day that work hard any try their best. There is no caring about a player and their feelings. This is a brutal business. Guys lose their jobs all the time. Screw the nice guy routine. Do whats right for the franchise.

Where did I contradict myself? I said we should trade him if we can get something for him. I dont think we will, but we dont take the "nice guy" route without doing everything we can to get something for him.

I never said we should hold onto him and cause a distraction. We need to pursue a trade and if it isnt there you release him. I dont get what is so difficult to understand.

Archived