Kellen Clemens Supporters....Stand up!!!

JonEJet

Wow, didn't see that he was demoted. Kellen really looks like a bust in the making.

I am not ready to give up on Clemens just yet.

This little depth chart switch in early August could just be a ploy to try and motivate Clemens.

I will admit 2 things: Clemens has not convincingly seized his opportunity to shine and Ratliff played lights out in his 1st pre-season game.

That being said, I still think it is way too early to give up on Clemens. If he was half as bad as JonEJet and some of the rest of you make him out to be, Clemens would have been the one that was cut instead of Pennington.

They would have kept Penny and reworked his contract. The front office didn't do that so obviously they still believe that Clemens can be groomed and potentially be a starter here at some point.

I would be very, very surprised if Favre plays beyond this season for us. If he does great but I wouldn't bank on it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No

Penny got cut because he makes more money

Plain and simple dude

Penny could have easily been restructured Jon if they wanted to keep him or felt that he was the better QB.

Penny got cut because he was the worst QB on our roster.

I was actually predicting that Penny would be gone in a draft day trade in the days leading up to the draft.

While that didn't pan out, Penny is gone none the less prior to opening day as I have been saying ALL OFF-SEASON LONG!!

So I am a happy camper none the less.

If Clemens couldn't even beat out Pennington in training camp than i doubt that he was going to be the starter for this team this year. Remember many people assumed that it was Clemens job to lose.

???

:confused0061:

This is one Clemens supporter who will admit I was totally wrong about this guy. Thank GOD Favre fell into our laps and Ratliff may turn out good. I am usually pretty good at calling mid round gems early (Coles, McKenzie, Cotchery, Rhodes), but I completely blew it on KC.

how's your gut feeling on Dwight Lowery DM?

I don't put a lot of credence Dr. Z's assessment that Ratliff has been promoted to #2. How come this SI greybeard has this info, but none of the Jets' beat reporters do?

Fact is, at the practice he was at, Kellen was still working a lot with the #1's, particularly on the two minute stuff. So, obviously, Ratliff was running the #2's. Maybe that's where this genius got his "scoop."

The staff hasn't given up on Clemens yet, nor should they. The difference now is that they have a starter in Favre, and they don't really have to play favorites between Clemens and Ratliff (they way they certainly seemed to favor Kellen over Chad - hence Chad's release).

Ratliff could get past Kellen on the depth chart, but it hasn't happened yet.

And I think Favre sticks for two years, unless it all goes really, really bad. If he's one and done, the Jets get a pick back from the Packers - which is a nice little consolation prize.

Rework Pennington's contract? Don't think so. You still would have to compensate him the equivalent of $6M in some form at some time, to sit on the bench. He probably only has a year or two longer than Favre anyway. It doesn't make any sense to have two highly paid veteran QB's on the team. And besides, time was of the essence. The Jets had to make cap room in a hurry, they didn't want to mess around with renotiating contracts, which take time. So Pennington was cut, even though he appeared to be ahead of Clemens in the starter race.

Clemens makes $500,00 or so.

Penny could have easily been restructured Jon if they wanted to keep him or felt that he was the better QB.

Penny got cut because he was the worst QB on our roster.

I was actually predicting that Penny would be gone in a draft day trade in the days leading up to the draft.

While that didn't pan out, Penny is gone none the less prior to opening day as I have been saying ALL OFF-SEASON LONG!!

So I am a happy camper none the less.

It doesn't really matter at this point

It is obvious that both Penny and KC both suck, and the Jets knew that, and made the trade

That's not a very outlandish assertion saying that Joey Harrington is better than Kellen Clemens. In fact, it's probably true.

Actually, that is a totally ridiculous assertion when you consider Clemens is only entering his third season in the league and has a whopping 8 games of starting experience, where as Harrington, has been given numerous chances to be a starter, on several different teams and has proven he completely sucks everywhere he has went.

A very outlandish assertion indeed.

It doesn't really matter at this point

It is obvious that both Penny and KC both suck, and the Jets knew that, and made the trade

Not for nothing Jon but lets keep things in perspective.

Brett Favre is a first ballet Hall of Famer, arguably one of the top 3 QB's to ever play the game, who is coming off of one of the best seasons of his career only last year.

He would be a significant upgrade as a starting QB for probably 29 out of the 32 teams in the league right now.

To say the Jets trading for Favre is an endorsement of how bad Chad and Clemens sucked, I think is very near-sighted on your part.

Even at 38 yrs old Brett Favre is a significant talent and as long as he is committed to playing, which it seems like he is, he can take the Jets a long way this season.

To say the Jets trading for Favre is an endorsement of how bad Chad and Clemens sucked, I think is very near-sighted on your part.

Dude

I root for the Jersey, not the name.

Most people on here know that I have not been a big fan of KC because of what i watched on the field. I want KC to succeed, I want KC to be the guy. But from what I've seen, he just doesn't have the "it" factor most teams look for in their QB

It was an open competition between Chad and Kellen, The fact that the battle was closely contested should be enough for you that Kellen kind of sucked, kind of sucked worse than Chad.

Lastly, I am not saying Ratliff is the man either, 2 bombs to a sppedster don;t sell me on a QB to lead this team.

And admit you're WRONG

Seems as if Mr Clemens doesn't have the "it" factor

If you need a definition of "it" ask BP. He knows what "it" is now

Guys that have "it" normally do not get demoted to #3

Is this ESPN or sports radio where we have to make big declarations every time we're here?

Seems kinda foolish to have to admit anything while he's still a member of the Jets. If he gets cut/traded then I will say I was wrong about him. But to make a ridiculous statement after 1 preseason game is stupid. We still have 3 more weeks to go. I'll worry about the roster on opening day in Miami.

Either one of Kellen, Ainge and Ratliff has to step it up and show that they have it. I really don't care which one. Favre isn't going to teach them anything, not his style, but that trade bought them some more time to get ready.

I agree - people who think Farve will be teaching anyone to do anything besides make a funny fart joke doesn't know Farve.

But since we are talking about IT factor - good news Jets fans - Brett Ratliff has the IT Factor.

I agree - people who think Farve will be teaching anyone to do anything besides make a funny fart joke doesn't know Farve.

But since we are talking about IT factor - good news Jets fans - Brett Ratliff has the IT Factor.

Apparently Clemens has the IT factor. Wish his IT factor didn't have the SH- prefix, though.

Not for nothing Jon but lets keep things in perspective.

Brett Favre is a first ballet Hall of Famer, arguably one of the top 3 QB's to ever play the game, who is coming off of one of the best seasons of his career only last year.

He would be a significant upgrade as a starting QB for probably 29 out of the 32 teams in the league right now.

Even at 38 yrs old Brett Favre is a significant talent and as long as he is committed to playing, which it seems like he is, he can take the Jets a long way this season.

I second the above.

Being cut to make room for Brett Favre is no shame, and hardly means you are not a solid NFL quarterback. Chad was cut because it freed up $6 million of cap money to offset Favre's $12 million contract as opposed to the $0.5 million they would get by cutting Clemens.

What is really going on here is this: The Chadbashers were telling us all offseason that Clemens had to win the job because Chad was so bad he couldn't play for any other team. Once he got cut and teams were lining up for Chad's services, even at this late date, they had to invent something to cover up how wrong they were proven to be.

Hey I never claimed Clemens was great. Only that I'd seen enough of Pennington last year, particularly when it was obvious we weren't sniffing at the playoffs (let alone a superbowl). Because then you enter the following season's free agency, draft, training camp, and games without knowing what you have in Clemens. If he's awful, make sure he's awful so you don't waste any more time with QB competitions.

We didn't do that, so we were going back to the same lesser-of-evils QB battle we had before the 2006 and 2007 seasons. If Clemens was given more time, then the next off-season decisions are easier.

But when the team started making all those moves this spring, I really didn't care about finding out about the long-term future though: the rest of the team was a win-now squad & you put the best QB out there. If that was Pennington, as much as I wanted the Chad era to end, then so be it.

Clemens must be just that awful.

The way it looks now there's more than light at the end of the tunnel. There is no question who the QB is in 2008. We don't know yet, but probably for 2009 as well. Still, at least we have another prospect to groom for the job.

So we swung and missed with Clemens. If we hit with Favre and then Ratliff (who was a relative freebie) then it doesn't matter. Even the best teams make bad draft picks. I think in 2006 our CS/FO just tried to be a little too clever & solve problems at too many places at once. So in addition to Clemens, they reached for guys like Schlegel & Eric Smith & Brad Smith & Jason Pociask - each of whom could very well have gone undrafted. Did it a little bit again with Thomas Jones. Not that Jones is awful, but a number of late round picks or FA's would have been as adequate when paired with Leon, and wouldn't have cost us (the value of) a high 3rd rounder plus a $20M contract.

Hey - like I said earlier in the thread - if this was the path we needed to take for Favre (and then Ratliff or whoever) to get us where we want to be, then so be it.

Dude

I root for the Jersey, not the name.

Most people on here know that I have not been a big fan of KC because of what i watched on the field. I want KC to succeed, I want KC to be the guy. But from what I've seen, he just doesn't have the "it" factor most teams look for in their QB

It was an open competition between Chad and Kellen, The fact that the battle was closely contested should be enough for you that Kellen kind of sucked, kind of sucked worse than Chad.

Lastly, I am not saying Ratliff is the man either, 2 bombs to a sppedster don;t sell me on a QB to lead this team.

Jon lets be real, Clemens got to start a whole 8 games last season.

He went 3-5 as a starter which is alot better than Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning did in their first 8 starts of their respective careers.

The point is that 8 starts is not nearly a large enough body of work to make any definitive conclusions from, anybody who thinks otherwise is just not real knowledgable about the game of football.

Clemens showed some promise last year, the team won more games and was more competitive when he was behind center as opposed to when Pennington was, for a variety of reasons. A big part of it was because he presented a legimate vertical threat down the field that opposing defenses had to honor therefore they couldn't just cram 8 or 9 guys in the box every down and dare him to beat them with his arm because he had the ability to throw the ball down the field and do just that. Pennington could not do that and it showed in how defenses played against him.

I'm not saying that Clemens is definitely the answer but I think he has shown enough to warrant a longer look.

Obviously, to some degree, the coaches agree or Clemens would not be here.

He went 3-5 as a starter which is alot better than Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning did in their first 8 starts of their respective careers.

The point is that 8 starts is not nearly a large enough body of work to make any definitive conclusions from, anybody who thinks otherwise is just not real knowledgable about the game of football.

Clemens showed some promise last year, the team won more games and was more competitive when he was behind center as opposed to when Pennington was, for a variety of reasons. A big part of it was because he presented a legimate vertical threat down the field that opposing defenses had to honor therefore they couldn't just cram 8 or 9 guys in the box every down and dare him to beat them with his arm because he had the ability to throw the ball down the field and do just that. Pennington could not do that and it showed in how defenses played against him.

I'm not saying that Clemens is definitely the answer but I think he has shown enough to warrant a longer look.

Well said ARodKWJF, I agree totally.Rep for you bro.

Nice Cuda by the way, Maybe we can plan a Spear trip one day ,from one spearo to another :cheers:

Well said ARodKWJF, I agree totally.Rep for you bro.

Nice Cuda by the way, Maybe we can plan a Spear trip one day ,from one spearo to another :cheers:

Thanks Mike. I'm a rod & reel guy but maybe we can work something out where I'm fishing while you are shooting.

Even the 5 losses on his 3-5 record as starter gets an asterisk on it.

Even though he spotted the Pats 7 points in that start, he didn't play 90% of the game, and even with that 7 points, the Jets only let up 20 points. He gets credit for the full loss because Pennington couldn't do anything. Now I don't know that Clemens would have fared any better (and may have fared even worse), and we probably would have lost anyway. But that's a guess (even if it's an educated one) and that 3-5 record as starter includes a game he threw 1 pass in.

Now he doesn't get a free pass for throwing that pick & getting injured, mind you. And it's mighty convenient to absolve him altogether in the only game vs a team that was 18-0*.

But technically, he was the Jets' primary QB in 7 games, over which the Jets were 3-4.

I'm not sure about Aikman, but, Peyton always showed flashes of something. And I had always thought Eli did too, before everyone shouted me down and I stupidly gave into peer pressure. I've seen something in Tarvaris Jackson as well, hence why I am not so quick to write him off as everyone else apparently is, especially since I learned my lesson from the Eli Manning mistake.

I've never seen a thing out of Alex Smith, David Carr or JP Loserman. I have yet to see anything out of KC, but I've only see him play that Thanksgiving game as I was out of town that year. From TC reports and other things, I don't have much hope in KC. But apparently, Ratliff is a different story. You gotta SHOW something. Right now it just doesn't seem like there is anything in KC.

Speaking of "it" factor, I really like Derek Anderson, even though IJ hates him. If Cleveland is stupid enough to get rid of Anderson and go with Quinn, Anderson might not be a bad idea.

Archived