Is Ratliff the next Romo?

InstantClassic

I'll reserve judgment until I see him play on the 1st team offense against a 1st team defense.

Do you remember Michael Bishop (I don't blame you if you dont). He was a preseason stud. I think he is playing in the CFL or AFL nowadays.

It's too early to declare him an NFL QB. But it isn't too early to see something in him, and predict him to be good. I see a lot of things I like in this guy. Give him a year or two, and I fully expect him to be able to step in and be the Jets franchise QB that we've wanted for decades now. This kid just oozes the all important "it" factor.

He may have a 1 year contract, but that will probably change before preseason is over. He will be locked in for a few years, and if/when he starts somewhere down the line, my hope is we wind up having to re-do the contract and take care of him for the next decade.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clemens blows. Thank God tanny pulled the trigger on that Favre deal, because I couldnt deal with either him or Penny.

He looks completely lost out there. Granted, some of those passes shouldve been caught by the recievers, but overall he sucks bigtime.

UGH, a freaking joke.

After watching him again tonight Ratliff continues to show me that he will be good.

Clemens on the other hand is a joke.

People said that Clemens didn't look good last year. I thought he played okay last year under terrible circumstances.

Regardless, Clemens looks terrible this year. HUGE step backwards. HUGE.

I would be shocked if Ratliff isn't second behind Favre next week and I think Ratliff will get a LONG look in the last game of the preseason. He has a very strong arm though that much is for sure.

People said that Clemens didn't look good last year. I thought he played okay last year under terrible circumstances.

I would be shocked if Ratliff isn't second behind Favre next week and I think Ratliff will get a LONG look in the last game of the preseason. He has a very strong arm though that much is for sure.

I thought Clemens looked good in spots last year and showed a few flashes too. But he also made some horrible decisions. I agree that this year he looks worse from what I have seen.

As far as Ratliff goes he looks great and I'm not even talking about stats. I just mean the way he runs the offense and plays the position.

Agree that he looks impressive thus far.

But I repeat, it's far too early to be drawing these kind of comparisons.

It isn't too early to draw the comparison that this thread title makes. If Ratliff continues on the path he is on, good things will happen. If he is the backup behind Favre, with all the media attention that brings, Ratliff will be a household name pretty soon.

By season end, it is quite possible that Ratliff can be the next Romo. Jessica Simpson will need a new man soon and Ratliff will be there.

Woody Johnson will love it, she can join the PSL Selling Parade.

Now will Ratliff ever be the QB that Romo is? Highly unlikely. But good looks sell PSLs, not Championships.

Could the football tide be swinging? Can the Jets actually have a diamond in the rough?

I can see this playing out like Romo. Sitting in the wings, waiting for the team to thrust him in to a starting role. Romo came out of nowhere, and I think we may have something special in this kid.

EDIT: Damnit, the logos are still off on my browser. Can a mod change this to the Jets logo please?

Stop talking to us You scare us

funny-pictures-horse-in-car.jpg

bumping for Ratliff talk...this kid has something and should be the b/u QB....does anybody else see the synergy the same name as our current starter, the move from a #4 Brett to a #5 Brett? Again, he LOOKS like a certain other longshot QB who plays in our division and HAD a lot of success up there....

Ratliff looks dam good. I wouldn't be surprised that he's the backup to Favre when the season starts & I hope he Favres successor. I think we've all seen what Clemens can & can't do. I think we were all high on him because he was better than Pennington.

Other players Mangini has praised regularly in camp: Derrick Blaylock, Kimo von Olehoffen, Chad Pennington...

Lol that was good.

Its way to early to go crazy about Ratliff. We haven't even seen him in a real game. On top of that his best drive was a result of his receivers breaking tackles/bad tackling. He looks nice considering he's a 3rd thringer but lets not annoint him the 2nd coming just yet.

Lol that was good.

Its way to early to go crazy about Ratliff. We haven't even seen him in a real game. On top of that his best drive was a result of his receivers breaking tackles/bad tackling. He looks nice considering he's a 3rd thringer but lets not annoint him the 2nd coming just yet.

Face it. Any evaluation of Ratliff will have to be based on is performance against second and third teamers. That is all the time he is going to get. What I like is his calm in the pocket. The way he let the rush go past him tonight, or the way he slid out of the grasp of a potential sack. He looks very fluid. He has a strong arm. So far that is all I know. Still, evaluations have to be made by the CS and they have to be made based on performance against scrubs. Ther is no question that he showed more than KC this week and last week. All you need to conclude that is a pair of eyes. However, he may only have a grasp of a limited number of plays. We have no way of knowing. Have to trust Mangini on this.

Ratliff looks dam good. I wouldn't be surprised that he's the backup to Favre when the season starts & I hope he Favres successor. I think we've all seen what Clemens can & can't do. I think we were all high on him because he was better than Pennington.

Better than Pennington? LOL! When was this?

Lol that was good.

He's playing WITH 2nd and 3rd stringers too and he's not getting great protection. None the less he's making great decisions.

He's playing WITH 2nd and 3rd stringers too and he's not getting great protection. None the less he's making great decisions.

I understand that but my point is that you can't annoint someone a probowler until you at least see them in a few regular season games. My other point was that if you take away that great drive where his receivers gained huge YAC then I didn't see anything to go crazy about.

That being said, he looked more comfortable in the pocket than Clemens and was impressive considering he's only a 3rd thringer and came from nowhere. But I still didn't see enough that would make me place him 2nd on the depth chart, let alone a QB to build around. I would, however, consider him a dark horse QB of the future and he's shown nice potential.

He definitely looked nervous tonight. Actually, I think he threw some of his passes over-hard. They were real bullets and may have surprised his receivers. They looked like they were shot out of a cannon.

It is good to qualify evaluations as "it is only a pre-season game" or "it is against 3rd stringers". Lord knows there have been plenty of pre-season sensations that never did squat in the regular season. You take the stats and game results with a grain of salt. However, that does not mean pre-season games don't reveal anything. Good or bad. Ratliff shows some real good qualities. His presence and calm in the pocket. Quick release. Touch, accuracy and arm strength. Ability to see the field.

It is hard to dismiss what we are seeing so far.

It is good to qualify evaluations as "it is only a pre-season game" or "it is against 3rd stringers". Lord knows there have been plenty of pre-season sensations that never did squat in the regular season. You take the stats and game results with a grain of salt. However, that does not mean pre-season games don't reveal anything. Good or bad. Ratliff shows some real good qualities. His presence and calm in the pocket. Quick release. Touch, accuracy and arm strength. Ability to see the field.

It is hard to dismiss what we are seeing so far.

and a sense of luck to him DM...I'll tell you what after seeing what I saw last summer from Chad P in the 1st PS game I started thinking that maybe, just maybe what we hear in the camp reports SHOULD be taken seriously.

Look at Bubba Franks-all camp we've been hearing he can't catch...last night? plonk

Dwight Lowery...showing savvy beyond his rookie status

Ratliff...throwing good balls in camp

Clemens-struggling'

Chad? dink and dunk

Clowney-lighting it up

Hey whatever happened to Chansi anyway?

Well anything is possible but until I actually see him playing in a real game against a 1st-team defense his preseason successes will not mean much to me. It is encouraging to see him play so well in preseason and in training camp and at this rate he may very well take the no.2 spot from Clemens.

I think the biggest sign of how good Ratliff will be is next year's draft. Clemens seems to have regressed even from last year so if the Jets still don't use a high pick on a QB, I will assume that means they think they have something in Ratliff.

If Ratliff is the real deal the Jets should be in GREAT shape to draft a RB next year...

Good point, really good point. Although Favre will unretire again for the next 3 years until we lose Ratliff in free agency.

Archived