Clemens Trade Rumor Source?

Old Rogue

Has anyone here read the Clemens trade rumor? If so, could you please cite a source? If you don't know what I mean, apparently there is rumor circling the Net that Clemens is about to be traded to the Vikings. A friend just IMed me, but couldn't remember where he read it, since she is only a casual football fan.

The only place I saw it was Bent posted it on thejetsblog. But there was no link. It was supposedly seen or heard on espn. Not sure if that is espn radio or not. Then it got started on a few message boards and took off.

In other words, it was never at any point in time a credible rumor. Rich Cimini commented on it in his blog though. He checked on it and was told it isn't credible.

Funny this interweb thing can be a scary place.

Well, let me ask then, since I am supremely bored. Who do the Vikes have that we might be interested in? After a quick scan of their roster, the only player I can imagine, would be veteran RB Chester Taylor. He wouldn't be a bad addition, but if the Jets are thinking RB, wouldn't Rudi Johnson make more sense? They got nothing behind Palmer to worry anyone.

Well, let me ask then, since I am supremely bored. Who do the Vikes have that we might be interested in? After a quick scan of their roster, the only player I can imagine, would be veteran RB Chester Taylor. He wouldn't be a bad addition, but if the Jets are thinking RB, wouldn't Rudi Johnson make more sense? They got nothing behind Palmer to worry anyone.

First off, Taylor is a much, much better back that anything we have now and better than Rudi Johnson. To think we could get him in a trade for Clemens is beyond insane, The Vikes love having him with Peterson. You seriously think they're going to let AP carry the load? Get real.

Kellen Clemens right now has no trade value, people are coming out with these ridiculous suggestions that really are unbelievable.

First off, Taylor is a much, much better back that anything we have now and better than Rudi Johnson. To think we could get him in a trade for Clemens is beyond insane, The Vikes love having him with Peterson. You seriously think they're going to let AP carry the load? Get real.

Kellen Clemens right now has no trade value, people are coming out with these ridiculous suggestions that really are unbelievable.

To support your point I would add that last year SD kept Turner rather than leverage his considerable trade value so that they would have a solid backup for Tomlinson. I'm sure if the Vikes consider themselves SB contenders that they would like to have the same insurance in case Peterson went down. As for QB, they could just sign Simms as a FA.

OTOH, the Jets and Vikes made a trade a few years back: Bollinger for Mosley and a pick. Good trade for the Jets. I would not have expected to get anything at all for Bollinger, not unlike Clemens' apparent value today.

To support your point I would add that last year SD kept Turner rather than leverage his considerable trade value so that they would have a solid backup for Tomlinson. I'm sure if the Vikes consider themselves SB contenders that they would like to have the same insurance in case Peterson went down. As for QB, they could just sign Simms as a FA.

OTOH, the Jets and Vikes made a trade a few years back: Bollinger for Mosley and a pick. Good trade for the Jets. I would not have expected to get anything at all for Bollinger, not unlike Clemens' apparent value today.

IF the vikes think they're a superbowl contenders they're morons.

IF the vikes think they're a superbowl contenders they're morons.

Disagree.

They have a powerhouse running game, a great all round defense with he addition of Jared Allen and a young QB who I think has shown a lot of promise. I like Tavaris Jackson a lot, where some people see him as a bust already for some reason. He was a huge project coming out of college and IMO he's made very good progress throughout his time in the league. If he and of course AP stay healthy, I don't see why the Vikes cannot challenge for the SB in the weak NFC.

Disagree.

They have a powerhouse running game, a great all round defense with he addition of Jared Allen and a young QB who I think has shown a lot of promise. I like Tavaris Jackson a lot, where some people see him as a bust already for some reason. He was a huge project coming out of college and IMO he's made very good progress throughout his time in the league. If he and of course AP stay healthy, I don't see why the Vikes cannot challenge for the SB in the weak NFC.

They have a great RB.

They have a great rush D that is not good against the pass.

Their QB is TERRIBLE. He's not up and coming, he's just plain TERRIBLE. You're not winning with him at QB. LOAD UP THE BOX and you have a good chance to win.

Disagree.

I'd put Dallas, Giants, seahawks above them in the NFC. So even if they make the playoffs, I doubt they make it far. The Packers still have a great team, even with Aaron Rogers and I think they win that division. Thinking that they have a chance to win the superbowl is just that high of a possibility in my opinion. They have a ****ty QB and AP is an injury waiting to happen and their pass d isn't that great. At best you would have to rank them, what... the 10th best team in the NFL behind:

1.Pats

2.Giants

3.Cowboys

4.Chargers

5.Colts

6.Steelers

7.Seahawks

8.Saints

9.Browns

10. Jets ;)

11.Jags

12.Packers

i don't understand people who think that clemens has NO trade value. that is beyond asinine.

I'd put Dallas, Giants, seahawks above them in the NFC. So even if they make the playoffs, I doubt they make it far. The Packers still have a great team, even with Aaron Rogers and I think they win that division. Thinking that they have a chance to win the superbowl is just that high of a possibility in my opinion. They have a ****ty QB and AP is an injury waiting to happen and their pass d isn't that great. At best you would have to rank them, what... the 10th best team in the NFL behind:

1.Pats

2.Giants

3.Cowboys

4.Chargers

5.Colts

6.Steelers

7.Seahawks

8.Saints

9.Browns

10. Jets ;)

11.Jags

12.Packers

yeah...right. hahahahaha

Disagree.

I woudn't go as far as calling them Super Bowl contenders but I do think Tavaris Jackson has shown some promise and is further developed than Clemens at this point. When he came out for the draft I remember one of the talking heads comparing him to McNair. Not sure how the knee injury will affect his play this year.

They have a great RB.

Their QB is TERRIBLE. He's not up and coming, he's just plain TERRIBLE. You're not winning with him at QB. LOAD UP THE BOX and you have a good chance to win.

Tavaris Jackson is just a young QB who IMHO is further developed and has more upside at this point then Clemens. That may not being saying much but he could develop into a productive starter in the league especially with their running game.

Where did this rumor come from? Why is that important?

A lot of last minute trade rumors never end up happening but nobody makes a big deal about it. Why we are so intent on tracking down the source of this one I can't figure out.

At any rate, I do believe that Clemens might have some trade value to the Vikings, since they reportedly wanted him over Tavaris Jackson two years ago in the third round of the draft but the Jets moved up to the late second round and grabbed him. Now that Tavaris Jackson is hurt and wasn't so effective last year when he was healthy, it is not a stretch to imagine that the Vikings might want to take a look at Clemens again if he is available.

How do we know that the deal wasn't very close to being made and might actually still occur? Chatman's suspension gave the Jets an extra roster spot which they, ahem, just HAPPEN to be using to carry an extra quarterback. And there has been much speculation that Ratliff is ready to take over the number two spot on the depth chart, which should definitely put Clemens in the "available" category for the right price.

How many teams would be willing to turn down a fourth round or even fifth round draft choice for their third string QB?

I think it is conceivable that Clemens could get us a fifth round, possibly even a fourth round draft choice. He was unheralded coming out of college, but he did manage to make some lists of college QB's who might go as high as second round. As for his performance last year, he had his moments. It depends on how much weight opposing GM's want to give to the bad Oline last year when making their evaluation.

Chad's bad perfomance behind that Oline didn't prevent him from getting a starting job when he was cut loose. Of course, he got the job based on his previous years, not on 2007. Clemens doesn't have any pre-2007 pro record to counterbalance his 2007 performance, but it's possible some GM's somewhere might similarly decide to discount Clemens' performance behind a bad Oline. In addition to Minnesota, he very possibly was on some teams' 2006 draft list for third round or lower and now that he is available for cheap......

1.Pats

2.Giants

3.Cowboys

4.Chargers

5.Colts

6.Steelers

7.Seahawks

8.Saints

9.Browns

10. Jets ;)

11.Jags

12.Packers

You can't seriously consider the Giants the second best team in the NFL can you?? They played well for a month last year at the right time with a QB who has had less than 10 impressive games in his career. Everything fell into place at the right time for them. Move them under the Colts and the list may be more reasonable.

You can't seriously consider the Giants the second best team in the NFL can you?? They played well for a month last year at the right time with a QB who has had less than 10 impressive games in his career. Everything fell into place at the right time for them. Move them under the Colts and the list may be more reasonable.

It wasn't in any order, it was just a list of teams I think will do better than the Vikings It wasn't my power rankings. I just numbered them to keep count.

I woudn't go as far as calling them Super Bowl contenders but I do think Tavaris Jackson has shown some promise and is further developed than Clemens at this point. When he came out for the draft I remember one of the talking heads comparing him to McNair. Not sure how the knee injury will affect his play this year.

Tavaris Jackson is just a young QB who IMHO is further developed and has more upside at this point then Clemens. That may not being saying much but he could develop into a productive starter in the league especially with their running game.

Why do they always compare African American QBs to other African American QBs? Aren't they all QBs? The talking heads and the writers all do it. They are so "enlightened".

They have a great RB.

I can understand why some people are put off by Jackson's perfromances, but he did show a lot of good signs throughout last season, he just really needed work on his mechanics, watching him in preseason he seems to really have improved on them. I think he's in for a breakout year, adding Berrian will help him as he does throw a damn good deep ball (Before he had Troy Williamson helping him out:shock:) and he will countless opportunities off of play action. Sidney Rice is no scrub either, and he'll only get better.

I could be wrong, but I've always thought the potential was there with Jackson, he was never going to be an immediate impact guy, he was alway going to need time to develop. It will be interesting to see how he does this year. Like I said, I'm expecting him to be much improved.

People keep bring up the bad pass D, they just added the best pass rusher in the league. We'll see how bad it is this season.

1.Pats

2.Giants

3.Cowboys

4.Chargers

5.Colts

6.Steelers

7.Seahawks

8.Saints

9.Browns

10. Jets ;)

11.Jags

12.Packers

The Seahawks? IMO they are the most overrated team in the league who just beat up on the ****iest of divisions year after year. Without Osi and Strahan, I'm far from convinced that the Giants are going to achieve much, if anything this year. Dallas are looking great (as they always do) on paper but they choke in the PO's year after year. Until they win a playoff game, I'm not considering them for a SB.

I like Green Bay a lot, but I don't see how you can write of Minny for their QB situation and not do the same for Green Bay.

I agree that if anything happenes AP for an extensive period of time then they're likely done. They can have a good running game with Taylor carrying the load, but not enough to consistently win games IMO.

Again with the pass defense - Jared Allen!

Archived