Steve Spagnuolo

Vudu

I'd be happy with Spagnuolo. He seems like he's got a very good defensive mind, and his players seem to like him. Whether or not he can run a football team remains to be seen. Hiring a bright young football mind to stick with the team for a decade can work out great (Cowher in Pittsburgh) or it can fail miserably (Mangini).

Cowher is obviously much lower-risk, but he's potentially lower-reward as well, considering his age and the fact that he has nothing to prove. Could be a repeat of the Parcells era. I'd still take him, of course.

Why is everyone so sold on Bill Cowher?

He took ****ty/average/good teams and won playoff games with them... then once he had a real contender he won it all.

He constantly won... never needed excuses... never needed "his guys"... the list goes on...

I'd be happy with Spagnuolo. He seems like he's got a very good defensive mind, and his players seem to like him. Whether or not he can run a football team remains to be seen. Hiring a bright young football mind to stick with the team for a decade can work out great (Cowher in Pittsburgh) or it can fail miserably (Mangini).

Cowher is obviously much lower-risk, but he's potentially lower-reward as well, considering his age and the fact that he has nothing to prove. Could be a repeat of the Parcells era. I'd still take him, of course.

There was no evidence that Mangini was a bright, young football mind. none whatsoever. He took over the NE defense for 1 season and ran it into the ground...

There was no evidence that Mangini was a bright, young football mind. none whatsoever. He took over the NE defense for 1 season and ran it into the ground...

Fair point, but perception = reality. In 2006, people said (wanted to believe?) that he was a bright young mind, whether he was or not. As it turned out, he wasn't, but people (more than just Jets fans) thought he was a solid hire at the time. They just overestimated his experience and underestimated Belichick's control over and effect on that defense.

We really can't afford to have another 3 year adjustment to the 4-3 system.

We wouldn't need to. As long as we don't run a speed-based cover 2, we could switch to a 4-3 pretty easily (it's much easier to go from a 3-4 to a 4-3 than to go from a 4-3 to a 3-4, as Mangini & Co. has proven). Spagnuolo runs an aggressive, blitz-heavy 4-3, with a good amount of man coverage, so we could make the adjustment pretty easily.

just what we need, another experiment...we've had 8 seasons of failed HC experiments between Mangini and The Idiot...hey Woody GET US A REAL HEAD COACH-a hall of famer LIKE COWHER-won't happen though, sorry...he'll be in frickin Cleveland or something like that

a Maybe for JETS HC next season?

Good or bad idea?

BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Not another coordinator who basks in glory of HC whose strength on same side of ball (coughlin/spags,,,belly/romeo/mangini)..not sayin he wont be good, but we need PROVEN...

Cowher

I like Spagnuolo as much as anybody out there, but as I've said before, just because a guy is a great co-ordinator that doesn't mean that he will be able to bring that to the team he takes over as head coach. Dungy in Indy? All O. Marv Lewis in Cincy? Where is that punishing D? Brian Billick? Sure he won a Super Bowl, but it wasn't with the record setting O he was supposed to bring from Minny.

When was this?

He was 6-10 in 2003 before Dick Lebeau came back and brought Blitzburgh back. You guys have short memories. Prior to that he was known as the coach who just couldn't bring them over the top. Still not sure he can without the perfect personel and coaches.

you're right. He lost as many or more big games as he won.

Jets fans are like Yankees fans. They want the flavor of the week and think that flavor alone will solve all of thier problems. The problem is one person doesn't do it alone.

I don't recall one instance his entire career with us that Cowher was on the hot seat. Not one. Now we fans were plenty PO'd at times but Dan Rooney never once wavered. He's not that type of owner. Cowher was saddled with plenty of mediocre QB's and that wasn't even the organization's fault. He was the one with most input on the draft. He always felt he could win with who he had. Now ya can blame him for that type of stuff, but not once was he on the hot seat.

That guy will bring attitude and identity to whomever gets him. They will be a team that runs the ball and stops the run first.

Archived