Brandon Jacobs sounds off

faba

Weissman for News

Brandon Jacobs tells News that Big Blue wins Super Bowl if Plaxico Burress (below) doesn't get suspended down the stretch.

Kaster/AP Plaxico Burress' Giants career is in doubt after he accidentally shot himself in a nightclub last year.

TAMPA - Brandon Jacobs wants to return to the Giants next season. And he wants Plaxico Burress to come back, too.

The big free-agent running back endorsed that 1-2 punch for the Giants' offense Thursday, and insisted that if the Giants welcomed Burress back, the troubled receiver would return a changed man. He said Burress had learned his lesson and wouldn't cause any more trouble, and he said he wants the Giants to give him a second chance.

"Oh, no question," Jacobs said. "If I'm here, I need 17 back on that roster.

"(He's) a different guy. He knows he's, No. 1, lucky to be living today, for how close he came. And he realizes the golden opportunity he's got in front of him to be able to take care of his wife and his kid. I talk to Plax every other day. We text back and forth. He's still Plax. He's still the same person. But he's got a different swagger about himself.

"I think he's changed. You won't ever hear anything from Plaxico as far as any kind of trouble with 'team.' It's all done. He's finished. He'll really be a different person."

And obviously, Jacobs said, the Giants need the 6-5 receiver. They were 11-1 when Burress was suspended, but they lost four of their last five games, including the season-ending playoff loss to Philadelphia. If Burress had been there, Jacobs said, the Giants would still have one more game - and win - to go.

"If we had Plax on our team, we go 15-1 and we win the Super Bowl," Jacobs said. "And I'm not afraid to say that and I'll say it to anybody on any team. We had a different identity with him and we didn't have enough time to change our identity to be effective at what we wanted to do."

Jacobs, 26, wasn't blaming Burress for the late collapse, he was just lamenting what might have been. In fact, he defended Burress for his actions on Nov.28, when he carried an unlicensed firearm into a Manhattan nightclub and accidentally shot himself in the thigh.

"You can't judge him for what happened because nobody really knows what goes on out in the street," Jacobs said. "A lot of people don't really know anything about what happened or how targeted we are. I'm not going to blame him for protecting himself. The guy is not a criminal. He shot himself. He didn't shoot no one else, and I think we should get off his case. And I think anybody in that situation should get off and be able to continue his career."

Burress, of course, doesn't know yet if he still has a career. The Giants have yet to decide if they'll bring him back. Plus he's facing a probable NFL suspension, not to mention 3-1/2 to 15 years in prison if he's convicted of carrying an unlicensed gun.

Meanwhile, Jacobs' future with the Giants is uncertain, too. According to a source familiar with the situation, he's seeking a deal similar to the seven-year, $45 million contract with $16 million guaranteed that Marion Barber got from the Cowboys during the season. So far, the Giants aren't willing to offer that much, even though the preliminary talks have just begun.

Still, Jacobs said he's "confident" a deal will be done before he becomes a free agent on Feb. 27, and he said it won't involve the Giants slapping him with the "franchise" or "transition" tags - which he said would make him "angry" and "probably cause some problems.

"I really want to be back," he said. "I'd be fairly upset and angry if I'm not back, because that's where I want to be. That's the team I want to play on. I'm confident. When you know it's something that you want, you just put it on the line and come out and get it done."

..and if Brandon Jjacobs could make it through one season without getting hurt he might be a decent running back. Hey Brandon, STFU, we really don't care what you think, you are an irrelevant also ran.

actually, Brandon Jacobs is a top 5 running back in my opinion

AP, "Burner Turner", M.J.D. and Steven Jackson are better, but anyone else is debatable

including the aged L.T. 2

12 games of Brandon Jacobs is better than 16 games of 90% of other running backs.

EXACTLY

these fools just don't realize it, Jacob's is a MONSTER. if the Giants let him go somewhere, the team that gets him will be VERY happy.

ok Green DNA, i must not know football considering I watch 4 games a week (the 2 afternoon and 2 nights) each year.

:rolleyes:

Jacobs is most definitely as good as any runningback in the league when he's healthy. The sheer athleticism of a runningback that size is simply impressive and unrivaled in this league.

But, The key words though are "When he's healthy". Missing 8 games the last 2 seasons does not inspire much hope that he's going to be giving you a ton of 16-game seasons in the near-future.

Jacobs runs behind one of the best, if not the best, Offensive Lines in the league. He has the BEST run-blocking Right Tackle in the entire NFL and he is built like a monster, 6'4, which wasn't his doing at all. He can't stay healthy. He is what he is, he's a GOOD back when healthy. If he didn't have the Giants OLine, he would've been killed by now.

BUT...

He is right to an extent. They arn't going 15-1 with Burress, thats laughable, but they probably at least play in the NFC Championship Game.

Jacobs runs behind one of the best, if not the best, Offensive Lines in the league. He has the BEST run-blocking Right Tackle in the entire NFL and he is built like a monster, 6'4, which wasn't his doing at all. He can't stay healthy. He is what he is, he's a GOOD back when healthy. If he didn't have the Giants OLine, he would've been killed by now.

BUT...

He is right to an extent. They arn't going 15-1 with Burress, thats laughable, but they probably at least play in the NFC Championship Game.

cardies in NY would have gotten their clocks cleaned

actually, Brandon Jacobs is a top 5 running back in my opinion

AP, "Burner Turner", M.J.D. and Steven Jackson are better, but anyone else is debatable

including the aged L.T. 2

No.

Just because a couple of backs were hurt for an extended this year doesn't mean Jacobs is better than them.

Adrian Peterson

LaDainian Tomlinson

Michael Turner

Steven Jackson

Larry Johnson

Willie Parker

Jonathan Stewart

Brian Westbrook

Matt Forte

Clinton Portis

Marion Barber

Then after those guys you can talk about Brandon Jacobs.

No.

Just because a couple of backs were hurt for an extended this year doesn't mean Jacobs is better than them.

Adrian Peterson

LaDainian Tomlinson

Michael Turner

Steven Jackson

Larry Johnson

Willie Parker

Jonathan Stewart

Brian Westbrook

Matt Forte

Clinton Portis

Marion Barber

Then after those guys you can talk about Brandon Jacobs.

Listing people like Willie Parker, who blows, over Jacobs is a joke.

Jonathan Stewart? A guy who has never started a game? Are you serious?

And bashing Jacobs for being injury prone while putting Jackson, Parker, Westbrook, Portis, and Barber on your list is hypocritical.

Listing people like Willie Parker, who blows, over Jacobs is a joke.

Jonathan Stewart? A guy who has never started a game? Are you serious?

And bashing Jacobs for being injury prone while putting Jackson, Parker, Westbrook, Portis, and Barber on your list is hypocritical.

I agree with everything that you say except about Stewart. He was a rookie (tremendously talented rookie) behind another 1st round pick at RB -- who was a TD machine this year.

Stewart has his best years ahead of him while Jacobs is on the wrong side of 25.

Brandon Jacobs tells News that Big Blue wins Super Bowl if Plaxico Burress doesn't get suspended down the stretch.

Hey Brandon I can play this game as well: Gainzo tells JN that if Tom Brady doesn't miss the entire season the Pats win the Super Bowl. This game is fun.

Jacobs is simply going on record as supporting his teammate.

A friend of yours on the team, a valuable player to the team, does something stupid which physically hurts himself and nobody else. What else do you do? If you refuse to answer the question or give a short perfunctory answer it will be interpreted as criticism. Jacobs is just adding his support for Burress, both as a friend and a player, for whatever good it might do Burress. If I was in Jacobs' situation I would be very tempted to do the same thing.

Thank GOD for dumb people. They provide so much amusement.

Yeah he learned his lesson -in Pittsburgh and now with the Giants-missed meetings, late for meetings, carrying a weapn into a nightclub illegally. OK Brandon.

EXACTLY

these fools just don't realize it, Jacob's is a MONSTER. if the Giants let him go somewhere, the team that gets him will be VERY happy.

ok Green DNA, i must not know football considering I watch 4 games a week (the 2 afternoon and 2 nights) each year.

:rolleyes:

Well, you do know football obviously, Jacobs is an f'ing BEAST! However, you certainly dont know Rap.

THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE....best group ever????

C'mon.

They are talented individuals, dont get me wrong but seriously when it comes to a "group", then chemistry and building off of one another COUNTS MORE than just being 4 idividually nice artist being put on one song alot of times.

OutKast...Best rap group ever...with "The Lox" or the "Wu" in a distant 2nd (in my eyes). None the less, OutKast should be #1 on any serious list.

Honorable Mention (In no particular order): EPMD, Boogie Down Productions, Eric B & Rakim, Wu-Tang, Lords of the underground, NWA, Geto boyz, Onyx....let me say that one again....ONYX, Public Enemy, The Lox.

Sleepers (which they shouldnt be): Dead Prez, Cypress Hill, Gangstar, Gravediggaz, Bone Thugz, Black star, Goodie Mob, Haiku d'Etat, The Slaughterhouse,

Well, you do know football obviously, Jacobs is an f'ing BEAST! However, you certainly dont know Rap.

THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE....best group ever????

C'mon.

They are talented individuals, dont get me wrong but seriously when it comes to a "group", then chemistry and building off of one another COUNTS MORE than just being 4 idividually nice artist being put on one song alot of times.

OutKast...Best rap group ever...with "The Lox" or the "Wu" in a distant 2nd (in my eyes). None the less, OutKast should be #1 on any serious list.

Honorable Mention (In no particular order): EPMD, Boogie Down Productions, Eric B & Rakim, Wu-Tang, Lords of the underground, NWA, Geto boyz, Onyx....let me say that one again....ONYX, Public Enemy, The Lox.

Sleepers (which they shouldnt be): Dead Prez, Cypress Hill, Gangstar, Gravediggaz, Bone Thugz, Black star, Goodie Mob, Haiku d'Etat, The Slaughterhouse,

Anyone can say Jacobs is a beast, the guy can play NT in a 3-4 Defense.

He's just not a Top 5 Back, plain and simple.

Anyone can say Jacobs is a beast, the guy can play NT in a 3-4 Defense.

He's just not a Top 5 Back, plain and simple.

At this moment I cant name five or six RB's that I would take over Brandon Jacobs, Thats all im saying. We are all stating opinions and that one is mine. I feel that you can argue the fact that this guy is a top 5 RB. Not saying that its fact. to be considered that high means that you can make a valid point for any player being considered within the top 5 bracket. Even if he was top ten....that would only mean that he was probably the 6th best RB IMO. Dude is a problem on the field, you gotta respect it for what it is. He will lay out damn near any LB, DE and will destroy any CB, S in the league with his power, yet still has the speed to break 70 on you.

My opinion.

Archived