Varitek swallows his pride; going back to Boston

Morrissey

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At the minor league level. Besides, he will not end up a catcher in the ML.

17 hr's in 525 AB's at single A ball is not Ortiz power but the kid is just 18 and a fine prospect. Let's let him do something before annointing him the Yankees future catcher. I liken him more to Sandoval of the Giants with a littele more pop.

Projections are just that projections. But 17 home runs in single A is very impressive.

Aec is the greatest Class A ball player of all-time.

LOL. The experience here is relevant. Hopefully he will chime in. Because I think 17 home runs at that level is very big. The kids aren't even down growing yet.

Thank You Joe.

You have to excuse Tyler- nice kid, loves his baseball but a complete Yankee homer which is fine. We all have some of that when it comes to our teams. Very good for the forum based on what I saw of him on JI. Will go MIA though once rosy predictions AKA, Phil Hughes in 08 hit the skids.

If Varitek returns to 2007 form at the plate he is a great asset. We always hear about Yanks need to return to days of having key role players to return to their great 96-2000 run. Varitek on the Sox is just that with greater responsibilities of managing a staff in which most of his pitchers have inporoved under his game calling yet the old "need role players to be successfull" suddenly does not apply.

Jury is nowhere near out on 23 year old Phil Hughes.

and Varitek sucks, period. That helps the Yankees. He's a black hole in the lineup.

Phases of the game (for catchers)

Hitting- Varitek sucks

Throwing runners out- Varitek sucks

Fielding the ball- Not particularly good

Calling a game- Pretty good

Overall.. he's a bad.

He was 3rd in MLB in fielding and is excellent at calling games.

His bat is a blackhole, but he more then makes up for it in other areas.

Jury is nowhere near out on 23 year old Phil Hughes.

and Varitek sucks, period. That helps the Yankees. He's a black hole in the lineup.

People forgot how young Hughes is. He won't be 23 years old until June of this year. I still like his long term chances a lot.

Exactly right. You've got to look at the whole package.

I've gone over it many times, and as a whole package, Varitek sucks. No way around that. He's pretty much an automatic out at this point, the Sox should think about using him as a backup. I'm pretty confident Jose Molina is better than him. LOL

Oh please.

1. Jury isn't out on Hughes

2. Varitek does suck

Only a homer Red Sox fan would dispute that.

In this forum, you have to understand the hype that was put on Hughes. We had one poster (currently banned) who claimed his "stuff" was HOF worthy. No kidding.

And the way that Cashman protected both Hughes and Kennedy last year, shielding them from trades, and ready to promote them in the rotation, you have to believe that the Yankees were projecting huge things from them as well.

Last year was a major disappointment for both those players. To soft sell that would be an understatement.

Does that mean they can not come back and be productive players in the future? Of course not. But that term "upside potential" that I see you use so often in description of players, has to have been downgraded in some measure.

I've gone over it many times, and as a whole package, Varitek sucks. No way around that. He's pretty much an automatic out at this point, the Sox should think about using him as a backup. I'm pretty confident Jose Molina is better than him. LOL

Varitek had one awful year and like I stated b4, he plays a important role in handling that staff.....much better than Posada. I recall no Sox pitchers preferring he not catch on the day they were scheduled to pitch.

Last year Jose Molina was touted by some Yankee fans and Michael Kay as being able to start on most Major League teams......final result?.......216 BA, .263 OBP, .313 Slg pct. Not as bad as the Hughes-Kennedy fall but you get the picture.

Question? Both Yankee CF's as well as Nick Swisher were auto outs in 2008 yet you at times defend them and want them competing for starting jobs. What have they done even remotely close to what Varitek has done in his career? I mean I have seen Swicher's 08 season called unlucky and also touted for drawing 80 BB's. We're talking about a career .243 hitter.

Again, Varitek is a role player for the Sox.

No one is saying otherwise, but every pitcher loves the guy.

You deal with the bat because of how he handles the pitchers.

I would love to see them get Sartlemacchia or one of the other rumored players to play along side him for the next two seasons.

Anyone think, that Cashman coveting Hughes and Kennedy the way he did last year was just an excuse to not pursue big FA's. The yankees knew they had a bunch of cash coming off this year and Santana would of made the Yanks payroll astronomical last year.

Tyler did his fair share of fellating Hughes on the other board, so he can relate.

Was he the "Saving Phil Hughes" guy?

Anyway, every club has had their share of promoting future superstars, only to have them become mediocre. The Mets chief among them

Thankfully, Omar held onto Pelfrey (when admittedly I saw nothing in the guy to show that he was going to produce), so it goes both ways.

I wonder if Martinez is the next tease.

I'm a Yankee fan and hate the Rex Sox just as much as other fellow Yankee fans, but this Yankee-homerism to say Varitek sucks is embarassing. C'mon guys. Its ****ing beyond homerism.

He does suck though? His batting average was .220 and he's a starter? Jose Molina's batting average was .216. Does that mean the Yankees backup catcher is just about good enough to be Boston's starter?

Sure he right now is probably the best catcher in the game, when it comes to calling a baseball game, but thats about all he does well.

The bottom line is he sucks, and him being the captain of he Sox's gives Red Sox Nation trouble admitting that he sucks.

I wold take Molina over Varitek everyday of the week. At this point Varitek isn't a better hitter, and Molina is clearly the better defensive catcher. I simply don't like Varitek's game, never have, he's been overrated for years. Me saying this has nothing to do with him being a Red Sox, if you want we can talk about Dustin Pedroia or Jon Lester, I'll have glowing remarks for them.

I wold take Molina over Varitek everyday of the week. At this point Varitek isn't a better hitter, and Molina is clearly the better defensive catcher. I simply don't like Varitek's game, never have, he's been overrated for years. Me saying this has nothing to do with him being a Red Sox, if you want we can talk about Dustin Pedroia or Jon Lester, I'll have glowing remarks for them.

Ok, I see you are using the MadMike "Train of Thought or the lack there of" Thought Process.

BA: Tek .220 vs Molina .216: Molina has eclipsed Tek .263 career average once in his career and that was 15 games and 37 ABs.

Defense: Tek .993 (Career FP) vs Molina (.992): Tek has a Gold Glove. Molina has bupkiss.

The only thing Molina has is age.

Well you're wrong. Saying you'd take Molina over Varitek shows that this is a simple case of being a Homer which is fine. Please remember Molina could not even keep the job while Posada was out.

Up until last season Varitek was more than fine offensively as a catcher and in fact 03 -06 he was actually an asset offensively based on position. Possibly you are looking at Bengie Molina's offensive stats when making these statements.;)

Well you're wrong. Saying you'd take Molina over Varitek shows that this is a simple case of being a Homer which is fine. Please remember Molina could not even keep the job while Posada was out.

Up until last season Varitek was more than fine offensively as a catcher and in fact 03 -06 he was actually an asset offensively based on position. Possibly you are looking at Bengie Molina's offensive stats when making these statements.;)

They are brothers.

-I was being sarcastic when it comes to Molina offense, but Varitek still sucks, considering he's not a backup, like Molina is. If I had to pick a backup for Posada, I would pick Molina over Varitek in a heartbeat. I'd take the catcher, hitters don't run on.

-Gold gloves isn't a good way to analysis defense, if it was Derek Jeter would be a very good shortstop. WOW, can Yankee homer really knock the almighty Derek Jeter? Do me a favor, don't call me a homer. Varitek sucks, period.

-Molina is head and shoulders better defensively than Varitek. You might want to compare there CS%.

-Varitek sucks

Anyone think, that Cashman coveting Hughes and Kennedy the way he did last year was just an excuse to not pursue big FA's. The yankees knew they had a bunch of cash coming off this year and Santana would of made the Yanks payroll astronomical last year.

No. Hughes while overhyped by the Yanks is still a big time prospect with loads of #1 or #2 SP potential. The Yanks just fell in love with the build from within mantra based on Joba's emergence the year before and Hughes/Kennedy also looking good in a very limited sample size. As always they had very little patience for growing pains with the kids and with the rotation they have today, there is only room for one of Hughes/Kennedy after Andy retires.

That said, Cashman obviously was looking at the 2009 FA class very early last season but let's not act like they did not aggressively go after Santana. Would 20 million really make that much of a issue to the Yankees payroll knowing they had cash freeing up the following year for an absolute difference maker in Johan? I just think the price the Twins wanted initially was more than Hughes and Melky and rightfully so. The Mets just happened to be the last team standing and got lucky to land him.

Moving away from last years direction with these FA signings does probably mean a Hughes or Kennedy trade is in the cards. The fact that Cano's name was mentioned as a possible trade candidate also indicates that other than Joba there may be no young Yanks that are untouchable as was the case last year.

No. Hughes while overhyped by the Yanks is still a big time prospect with loads of #1 or #2 SP potential. The Yanks just fell in love with the build from within mantra based on Joba's emergence the year before and Hughes/Kennedy also looking good in a very limited sample size. As always they had very little patience for growing pains with the kids and with the rotation they have today, there is only room for one of Hughes/Kennedy after Andy retires.

That said, Cashman obviously was looking at the 2009 FA class very early last season but let's not act like they did not aggressively go after Santana. Would 20 million really make that much of a issue to the Yankees payroll knowing they had cash freeing up the following year for an absolute difference maker in Johan? I just think the price the Twins wanted initially was more than Hughes and Melky and rightfully so. The Mets just happened to be the last team standing and got lucky to land him.

Moving away from last years direction with these FA signings does probably mean a Hughes or Kennedy trade is in the cards. The fact that Cano's name was mentioned as a possible trade candidate also indicates that other than Joba there may be no young Yanks that are untouchable as was the case last year.

Hughes made his debut well before Chamberlain. The buildup around Hughes had do with his numbers throughout the minors, and eventually his 2nd major league start when he had a no hitter going in the 6th inning. The thing about Hughes is, it seems like his fastball isn't what it use to be, or the guns in the minors where misleading. He's at least 2-3 mphe slower than he was projected to throw. Most scouting reports in the minors had him sitting around 95. Now he mostly just hits 95 occasionally. We'll see though, maybe the injuries had something to do with that. The big thing for Hughes is to develop that 3rd pitch. When on I think he's got one of the nastiest curves in baseball, but right now, if it's not working for him, all he can really do is throw fastballs, because he clearly hasn't been comfortable using his secondary stuff. I think he developed a cutter last year, not sure how good that is. Hopefully his change up develops into a nice pitch.

If I had to guess the Yankees untouchables, right now, would be..

Joba Chamberlain

Phil Hughes (Yankees like him a lot)

Austin Jackson

Mark Melancon

Jesus Montero

Tek is not the offensive force he once was

That being said, I too would take today;s Molina, over today's Tek

Tek's divorce is a joke, trying to hook up with a NESN employee....ruined his year, and possibly his career

He truly is done....no one is afraid to run on him anymore

Archived