Ray Lewis on the NFLN on the Jets

InstantClassic

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd love to get Lewis, our defense instantly becomes a legit top 10...

We can afford it..

The importance of Ray Ray to the locker room cannot be oversstated. Plus, he'll get a big contract, but it won't be a huge cap killer.

Just as a guees, we could be looking at a 4 year deal with $12 to $15 million guaranteed. He'll play well in 2 season, bad in season 3, and need to be out of the league in season 4. But you need 4 seasons to work the deal under the cap.

The importance of Ray Ray to the locker room cannot be oversstated. Plus, he'll get a big contract, but it won't be a huge cap killer.

Just as a guees, we could be looking at a 4 year deal with $12 to $15 million guaranteed. He'll play well in 2 season, bad in season 3, and need to be out of the league in season 4. But you need 4 seasons to work the deal under the cap.

How many times have we been sold the line that an aging veteran star would bring "invaluable leadership in the locker room"?

The "locker room" nonsense CERTAINLY can be overstated. I'd prefer performance on the field.

I didn't see it with Leonard Marshall. Or Ronnie Lott. Or Ty Law. Etc. Etc.

You want to bring in former Ravens who know the system? Fine. Make sure they're young and will perform at or above their current levels ON THE FIELD over the course of their contracts.

Look at Pittsburgh (and to other extents teams like the Ravens and Eagles). They have a knack for letting "big name" guys walk, right before they go into serious decline. And look at the results of that franchise.

How many times have we been sold the line that an aging veteran star would bring "invaluable leadership in the locker room"?

You want to bring in former Ravens who know the system? Fine. Make sure they're young and will perform at or above their current levels ON THE FIELD over the course of their contracts.

Look at Pittsburgh (and to other extents teams like the Ravens and Eagles). They have a knack for letting "big name" guys walk, right before they go into serious decline. And look at the results of that franchise.

Guido- None of those guys would stab you in the throat, kick you in the nuts and take a poop on your chest.... in front of the entire locker room to make an example out of you though.

The "locker room" nonsense CERTAINLY can be overstated. I'd prefer performance on the field.

I hear you, but I dunno, as much as I like Rex's defensive philosophy it's hard to ignore that the Ravens defense has actually been better at times under Marvin Lewis and also very good under Mike Nolan. The one constant on that defense has been Lewis. He seems to me to be the emotional leader of that defense and I get the sense that he'd shank someone in the shower if they didn't give 110%. imo our defense is filled with a bunch of underacheiving soft little girls who could benefit greatly from the fear of Ray..

The only other constant with that team is the GM, but we ain't getting him so I have no problem rolling the dice on Lewis in hopes of building a strong defense.

Funny how people's morals go out the window when it comes to the good of the team they love. :lol:

Not all people, I wouldn't want a ray lewis on this team. That being said very few pro players are angels. Actually in general most people have f'ed up a few times in life and have been on the wrong side of the law.

Good point, Guido, but two of the three you mentioned were run down when they came to the Jets and the 3rd (Ty Law) was a poor work ethic prima donna who was a bad influence on the DBs.

I think Ray Ray is different than those others and will bring more than just "leadership," he'll bring nastiness. He'll kick Coles in the man-vulva if he starts whining. He'll punch Hollywood Rhodes in the eye so he can't go to an audition. Stuff like that.

I hear you, but I dunno, as much as I like Rex's defensive philosophy it's hard to ignore that the Ravens defense has actually been better at times under Marvin Lewis and also very good under Mike Nolan. The one constant on that defense has been Lewis.

You are forgetting the other constant.

Rex Ryan was a Ravens defensive assitant under Lewis and Nolan.

Nolan and Lewis didnt fare well when they left. It could just be that Rex had a HUGE hand in Lewis and Nolans Def Coord success in Balt.

Good point, Guido, but two of the three you mentioned were run down when they came to the Jets and the 3rd (Ty Law) was a poor work ethic prima donna who was a bad influence on the DBs.

I think Ray Ray is different than those others and will bring more than just "leadership," he'll bring nastiness. He'll kick Coles in the man-vulva if he starts whining. He'll punch Hollywood Rhodes in the eye so he can't go to an audition. Stuff like that.

That kind of stuff works in Baltimore because he is an icon there and has performed on the field for years.

Now at the tail end of his career, if he were to switch teams, all his ranting and raving in the locker room would wear thin on a lot of people if he isn't backing it up himself on the field of play. And he's not a dominant player anymore.

If you want someone like that in the locker room, he either has to be the head coach or your best player.

You are forgetting the other constant.

Rex Ryan was a Ravens defensive assitant under Lewis and Nolan.

Nolan and Lewis didnt fare well when they left. It could just be that Rex had a HUGE hand in Lewis and Nolans Def Coord success in Balt.

Maybe, but I find that doubtful personally. Only cause I think they would've promoted him instead of Nolan if it were true..

Lets hope you are right though :)

Maybe, but I find that doubtful personally. Only cause I think they would've promoted him instead of Nolan if it were true..

who gives a shiit politically what transpired,,doesnt change the fact that lewis wasnt only constant as you mentioned..

Rex was there whole time also...

Not necessarily because Nolan was higher up than Rex at the time.

I'm not saying Southern is right or wrong, but you hardly see an assistant with less seniority promoted over a more senior assistant to a coordinator position if they're both vying for the job.

In essence, you're saying that if Rex was that valuable he would have leapfrogged Nolan to be DC, and that hardly happens.

Not all people, I wouldn't want a ray lewis on this team. That being said very few pro players are angels. Actually in general most people have f'ed up a few times in life and have been on the wrong side of the law.

I'd take him in a freakin heart beat. He's what this team needs someone that will get in peoples faces and get them to do their job. We're trying to win football games not sell Girl Scout Cookies.

who gives a shiit politically what transpired,,doesnt change the fact that lewis wasnt only constant as you mentioned..

Rex was there whole time also...

There was other constants too, my point was about prominent constants. I wasn't of the mindset that a defensive assistant was a prominent member of that CS. Reads like a junior position..

Not necessarily because Nolan was higher up than Rex at the time.

I'm not saying Southern is right or wrong, but you hardly see an assistant with less seniority promoted over a more senior assistant to a coordinator position if they're both vying for the job.

In essence, you're saying that if Rex was that valuable he would have leapfrogged Nolan to be DC, and that hardly happens.

Not so sure about that..

Remember, the Ravens have been a dominant defense for years. If a defensive assistant with the type of league contacts that the Ryan's have was the man behind the curtain in building it, I'm sure the Ravens would've promoted him just out of fear of losing him. Also, why didn't Marvin Lewis bring him to Cinn with him? Why didn't another team grab him?

Are we speculating that Ryan was biggest impetus for that defense but nobody in Baltimore or the league realized it?

There was other constants too, my point was about prominent constants. I wasn't of the mindset that a defensive assistant was a prominent member of that CS. Reads like a junior position..

i dont see it that way at all..

he was a major constant as you read stories from players saying he is super creative with bringing his Dads schemes..

major major constant

Last year's (2007 season) Raven's gave up the 10th most points in the league. It's been a great defense over the years, but it's because of great players and coaches. But you have to really look carefully at the players in that system, they're some of the best of all time.

Last year's (2007 season) Raven's gave up the 10th most points in the league. It's been a great defense over the years, but it's because of great players and coaches. But you have to really look carefully at the players in that system, they're some of the best of all time.

yup, but not all of them high rated drfat picks,,some were well coached and well positioned in system

Not so sure about that..

Remember, the Ravens have been a dominant defense for years. If a defensive assistant with the type of league contacts that the Ryan's have was the man behind the curtain in building it, I'm sure the Ravens would've promoted him just out of fear of losing him. Also, why didn't Marvin Lewis bring him to Cinn with him? Why didn't another team grab him?

Are we speculating that Ryan was biggest impetus for that defense but nobody in Baltimore or the league realized it?

No speculation. I'm just talking about hiring practices and the timeline of the Ravens' hires.

Rex and Nolan worked for Lewis, but Nolan worked for Lewis longer than Rex did. Nolan also had more coaching experience than Rex at the time. If anything, the Ravens would have promotted Nolan in fear of losing him to Cinn, because he was the more seasoned assistant.

Again, I'm not arguing that Rex was instrumental in the defense throughout his tenure, but I simply do not believe you can draw any conclusion from Nolan getting promoted over him when Nolan had seniority.

I'd take him in a freakin heart beat. He's what this team needs someone that will get in peoples faces and get them to do their job. We're trying to win football games not sell Girl Scout Cookies.

This is a bad analogy. If Ray Lewis were to attempt to sell Girl Scout Cookies, he'd break all kinds of records.

If he asked you to buy 30 boxes of thin mints, would you say no?

If he was 27 instead of 35 I would be all for it. How is he going to be part of "building a great defense"? We would all be screaming for him to retire by year 2. We tried the washed up legend thing last year.

ya the age thing worries me a tad also

Archived