One Man's Hope for an Offseason and Beyond

Warfish

-Fired Mangini (Check)

-Hire a Coach who is fiery and passionate, with a proven track record as an Assastant. Was hoping for Russ Grimm, but Rex Ryan = (Check)

-Encourage Brett Favre to Retire (Check)

Looking good thus far......now for the hard part.

--Do NOT be tempted by Journeyman JAG QB's. No one on the market is worth even a middle-of-the-road QB Salary. Do NOT sign one.

--Allow Clemens, Ratliff and Ainge to compete for the QB job for 2009. Winner gets first chance in the regular season. If he fails, the next guy gets a shot in live-fire, and so on. If they all fail, QB becomes the big need later, for 2010. But we must see what exactly we got in these three guys/kids.

--Do not be tempted by Wide Receivers or Running Backs in the Draft's highest rounds.

--Trade Laverneous Coles. Get as much as you can for him.

--Go into 2009 with Cotchery/Stuckey/Clowney and the Young Kid who Got hurt (name eludes me right now) at WR. They, like their young QB counterparts, get every opportunity to prove themselves this one season.

--Draft Defense, Defense and more Defense. Pass Rushers at DE, a Body at NT, LB'er, and CB's. The Jets D should be designed to be the deepest and strongest in the NFL. Win with what you're good at Ryan, a dominating nose-bleed causing D.

Mid to Late Rounds, a pick spent on a WR or better yet, a comlementary TE or H-Back a la Keller, would be a wise choice for a running-based ball-control Offense.

--Come the Season, Run it like you Mean it. We have an All-Pro O-line, DEMAND they play like one. Make Thomas Jones and Leon Washington's legs ache by games end each week. Allow your young competition-winniong-QB and his young WR's every chance to succeed by not placing all the responsabillity on their shoulders.

--No more excuses for Shottenheimer. Coordinate a decent Offense without excuses, or join your Dad on the "Formerly Employed" line. A Young Offense if not an excuse for a pathetic low-scoring, low-productivity one.

--Be honest in your press conferences. Jet Fans (I think) have had about enough of the Cerebrial Mystery Bellichek type BS, especially from unproven first-time Coaches. Be fiery, and demand greatness and nothing less.

The Jets of 2009, if they are to win, must do two things:

--Avoid falling into the "Must hvae a Vet QB" fallasy. Give outr kids a chance.

--Win in the trenches. Champions are built in the trenches, not with the Kerry Collins or Jeff Garcias og the NFL, looking for one last paycheck before they retire or find themselves no longer needed or wanted by even bad teams.

This team has alot of potential for the next three years or so (max) if they work wisely, even if they go the Dan Snyder "buy a star" way. But they can be ever better for longer if they play it smart, and keep developing young talent over that time, at QB, WR, the D and a few years from now the O-line.

At least right now, I think there is some good reason for Optimism for once. Something I never truly had under Mangini, who I still say (and said from day 1) was not qualified or suited to Coach a New York Football Team.

-Fired Mangini (Check)

-Hire a Coach who is fiery and passionate, with a proven track record as an Assastant. Was hoping for Russ Grimm, but Rex Ryan = (Check)

--Do NOT be tempted by Journeyman JAG QB's. No one on the market is worth even a middle-of-the-road QB Salary. Do NOT sign one.

--Allow Clemens, Ratliff and Ainge to compete for the QB job for 2009. Winner gets first chance in the regular season. If he fails, the next guy gets a shot in live-fire, and so on. If they all fail, QB becomes the big need later, for 2010. But we must see what exactly we got in these three guys/kids.

--Do not be tempted by Wide Receivers or Running Backs in the Draft's highest rounds.

--Go into 2009 with Cotchery/Stuckey/Clowney and the Young Kid who Got hurt (name eludes me right now) at WR. They, like their young QB counterparts, get every opportunity to prove themselves this one season.

--Draft Defense, Defense and more Defense. Pass Rushers at DE, a Body at NT, LB'er, and CB's. The Jets D should be designed to be the deepest and strongest in the NFL. Win with what you're good at Ryan, a dominating nose-bleed causing D.

Mid to Late Rounds, a pick spent on a WR or better yet, a comlementary TE or H-Back a la Keller, would be a wise choice for a running-based ball-control Offense.

--Come the Season, Run it like you Mean it. We have an All-Pro O-line, DEMAND they play like one. Make Thomas Jones and Leon Washington's legs ache by games end each week. Allow your young competition-winniong-QB and his young WR's every chance to succeed by not placing all the responsabillity on their shoulders.

--No more excuses for Shottenheimer. Coordinate a decent Offense without excuses, or join your Dad on the "Formerly Employed" line. A Young Offense if not an excuse for a pathetic low-scoring, low-productivity one.

--Be honest in your press conferences. Jet Fans (I think) have had about enough of the Cerebrial Mystery Bellichek type BS, especially from unproven first-time Coaches. Be fiery, and demand greatness and nothing less.

--Win in the trenches. Champions are built in the trenches, not with the Kerry Collins or Jeff Garcias og the NFL, looking for one last paycheck before they retire or find themselves no longer needed or wanted by even bad teams.

This team has alot of potential for the next three years or so (max) if they work wisely, even if they go the Dan Snyder "buy a star" way. But they can be ever better for longer if they play it smart, and keep developing young talent over that time, at QB, WR, the D and a few years from now the O-line.

At least right now, I think there is some good reason for Optimism for once. Something I never truly had under Mangini, who I still say (and said from day 1) was not qualified or suited to Coach a New York Football Team.

Outstanding post!!!! I agree with everything.

You are the son I never had. :D

so to sum this up you want all defense, let the offense be full of kids trying to prove themselves and a coach that will not lie in press conferences?

LOL! Don't mind Tyson, he's our resident angry fan. he judo kicked a hot dog out of somebodies hand after losing to the Giants in 2007 and I was covered in mustard. :evil2:

Great post Warfish. I nominated it for POTW and repped you. I agree 100%

-Fired Mangini (Check)

Tremendous post.

Only thing I would add is for the Jets to spend a portion of the money they have available to get the experienced safety required for Ryan's version of the "46". Then they can use Rhodes a bit differently then Mangini did. Raven's Leonhard would fit the bill.

You want to dump Coles, avoid all vet QB's, draft defense until the later rounds - and then maybe take another TE (?), and Schottemheimer must produce or else?

Yeah, don't think so.

I'm all for letting the young QB's battle it out, but I think bringing in an inexpensive vet with some starting experience would be wise. If nothing else, he'd be a yardstick for measuring how well the young guys are actually doing. You can always cut him before the season if he's behind. If he's ahead, it'll be good to have him on the roster.

Coles is a good player. His salary is guaranteed. He's not going anywhere, and he shouldn't. I do not get the hate for this player at all.

If a WR or RB prospect jumps out as the BPA in the first two rounds, they have to jump on them. I get the idea of this year being something of a "tryout" for everyone -and I agree with the premise- but it's wise to get the stud WR (especially) now, so that he's ready to go next year when (hopefully) the offense is clicking on all cyliners. WR's take two or three years to develop. The Jets are already behind at the position.

I agree that the defense should be focused on, but don't want to see those picks forced. The Jets have plenty of needs on offense, too.

These is the only part that I disagree with...

We would have the worst offense in the history of Football with Cotch/Stuck/Clown as our WR's. Serioulsy, the worst. We would have a young inexperienced QB with no goto receiver. Teams would stack the box and dare us to throw and we wouldnt be able to do it. And Schotty sucks big hairy balls. Could you imagine how lame our play callnig would be with that offense and Leon as our only threat???

As much as Coles pisses me off, he is here and with his contract, he's not going anywhere. And I think we need him, especially if we are using your logic in the draft and going with young Qb.

If we have a blue chip WR in the 2nd available, we must draft him and Im not completely against the idea of taking the right guy in the 1st. Id prefer going D in the first, that will be our fortay, but we need a WR to eventually replace Coles, and this is a deep draft. We dont have a vialable option at this point. Cotch is not a #1.

I would prefer going CB or ILB in the first (if we dont target an FA at either position). Getting a WR in the 2nd, and then go defense from there on.

Like others, the WR parts are the only ones I disagree with. If a WR is worth the pick, then take it. Our WR corps wasn't too good last year, and bringing back that same group minus Coles would not likely make things better.

Just going with those 3 at QB may be ok. Schottenheimer, for all his faults, is probably in a better position to make that judgment than the rest of us.

Coles & his everyone-sucks-except-me-and-Chad attitude can leave (like he wants to). But he would need to be replaced. I have no issues with a Stuckey or Clowney starting per se. But it should be due to them earning the spot, not out of pure self-created desperation because there simply isn't anyone else.

A QB trio of Clemens-Ratliff-Ainge with a starting WR trio of Cotchery-Stuckey-Clowney, while not 100% a sure recipe for disaster, is certainly inviting it.

Otherwise it's generally a good plan overall.

These is the only part that I disagree with...

We would have the worst offense in the history of Football with Cotch/Stuck/Clown as our WR's. Serioulsy, the worst. We would have a young inexperienced QB with no goto receiver. Teams would stack the box and dare us to throw and we wouldnt be able to do it. And Schotty sucks big hairy balls. Could you imagine how lame our play callnig would be with that offense and Leon as our only threat???

As much as Coles pisses me off, he is here and with his contract, he's not going anywhere. And I think we need him, especially if we are using your logic in the draft and going with young Qb.

If we have a blue chip WR in the 2nd available, we must draft him and Im not completely against the idea of taking the right guy in the 1st. Id prefer going D in the first, that will be our fortay, but we need a WR to eventually replace Coles, and this is a deep draft. We dont have a vialable option at this point. Cotch is not a #1.

I would prefer going CB or ILB in the first (if we dont target an FA at either position). Getting a WR in the 2nd, and then go defense from there on.

I don't think our offense is THAT bad. True, the QB position is a question mark, and like many teams, we don't have that dynamic #1 playmaking, "have to double", WR. Is Schotty the best OC out there? Probably not, but I'm not sure how much control he really had last year under Mangini's "controlling" style. I think Favre coming in real late and his resistence to some of the multiple shifts and formations that's in Schotty's offense also restricted some of the things they did last year.

But we do have a very good offensive line with a very good running game.

What I don't understand is that many of the people who want to draft a QB are the same people who don't want to give the young QB's we have on the roster a chance to play. Unless you have the opportunity to draft a "can't miss", franchise QB, ala Elway or Manning, at some point you have to give a young guy who's less heralded, the chance. I'm not convinced we don't have our QB of the future on our roster already.

As far Coles goes, I'm not a hater. But I do recognize that he is not the player he was, nor is he even the best "possession" receiver on the team. At this point, if we can get something for him, I wouldn't be opposed.

To me, there are three aspects of the game that provide the winning formula for consistently winning football games:

1. The Ability to Run the Football on offense

2. The ability to stop the run on defense

3. Force more turnovers than you give up

We have the ability to run the football on offense. Turnovers, mostly interceptions, really hurt us this past season.

We need to build this defense into something we've never had, which is basically a dominatling, attacking, shutdown defense that forces opposing offenses into mistakes, which will allow our "run oriented offense" to control the ball and take advantage of a short field more consistently.

In Ryan's "46 hybrid" defense, the ability of the secondary to cover is vital because his defense is predominantly a "man under" Cover 1 defense. This puts immense pressure on the corners. We need another safety and another corner to play his defense successfully.

Additionally, I don't think we have a pressing need for more LB's. Mangini's scheme sucked for our personnel. This year, our LB's should have more freedom to make plays in Ryan's scheme. That's what it's built for.

All that said, a #1 receiver can obviously have a big impact on the ability to run, so I'm not saying we shouldn't get one. It's just a matter of priorities in building.

Would you trade the #17 pick for say, Boldin, if you could? If our defense was where it needs to be, I would. But not at this point if yo can get another shutdown corner.

I think you become better quicker with a great defense.

Sorry for the longwinded response, but just one man's opinion.

Take it for what it's worth.

I don't think our offense is THAT bad. True, the QB position is a question mark, and like many teams, we don't have that dynamic #1 playmaking, "have to double", WR. Is Schotty the best OC out there? Probably not, but I'm not sure how much control he really had last year under Mangini's "controlling" style. I think Favre coming in real late and his resistence to some of the multiple shifts and formations that's in Schotty's offense also restricted some of the things they did last year.

But we do have a very good offensive line with a very good running game.

What I don't understand is that many of the people who want to draft a QB are the same people who don't want to give the young QB's we have on the roster a chance to play. Unless you have the opportunity to draft a "can't miss", franchise QB, ala Elway or Manning, at some point you have to give a young guy who's less heralded, the chance. I'm not convinced we don't have our QB of the future on our roster already.

As far Coles goes, I'm not a hater. But I do recognize that he is not the player he was, nor is he even the best "possession" receiver on the team. At this point, if we can get something for him, I wouldn't be opposed.

To me, there are three aspects of the game that provide the winning formula for consistently winning football games:

1. The Ability to Run the Football on offense

2. The ability to stop the run on defense

3. Force more turnovers than you give up

We have the ability to run the football on offense. Turnovers, mostly interceptions, really hurt us this past season.

We need to build this defense into something we've never had, which is basically a dominatling, attacking, shutdown defense that forces opposing offenses into mistakes, which will allow our "run oriented offense" to control the ball and take advantage of a short field more consistently.

In Ryan's "46 hybrid" defense, the ability of the secondary to cover is vital because his defense is predominantly a "man under" Cover 1 defense. This puts immense pressure on the corners. We need another safety and another corner to play his defense successfully.

Additionally, I don't think we have a pressing need for more LB's. Mangini's scheme sucked for our personnel. This year, our LB's should have more freedom to make plays in Ryan's scheme. That's what it's built for.

All that said, a #1 receiver can obviously have a big impact on the ability to run, so I'm not saying we shouldn't get one. It's just a matter of priorities in building.

Would you trade the #17 pick for say, Boldin, if you could? If our defense was where it needs to be, I would. But not at this point if yo can get another shutdown corner.

I think you become better quicker with a great defense.

Sorry for the longwinded response, but just one man's opinion.

Take it for what it's worth.

Dont be sorry, great response.

I understand that Coles is not the player he once was, but if we are going with a young QB, keeping a guy like Coles can greatly benefit him. He is tough veteran that a young QB can rely on getting the ball out to early and knowing that Coles will be in the right place and will battle for the ball.

IMO, CB is our biggest need, for reasons that you have stated. I seriously think we we will land a ILB from the FA market...hopefully Scott and his famaliarity with the system. But I agree, ILB is right up there in our top priorities.

The reason why I am so high on getting a true #1 WR, is a) we dont have one on our current roster and 2) it will help our QB's and our running game.

I was obviously exaggerating about it being the worst offense ever, but we wont be outstanding. Its going to be tough for a young QB to get 15 TD's with our receivnig core, and you cant rely on just TJ and Leon to score. Especially with Schotty Jr.'s offense. I still think he sucks and I dont care what the scenario was last year or how much Mangini had his hands in the offense.

Boldin is not worth a first round pick. He is not a guy that will constantly demand a double team. You just dont need to with him. He is a big physical receiver who does well after the catch, but he doesnt require a double team.

Ideally, I want Scott. A CB in the first and WR in the 2nd.

I think a lot of this is actually realistic, but I have a feeling you're going to be very disappointed in the turnout of these two specific items. The Jets are bound to sign some veteran to compete. My gut says though, that they'll give the young guys every opportunity to win the starting / backup / etc. jobs and will bring in a vet who they'd have no problem cutting if Clemens / Ratliff / Ainge all earn their spots. That said, they're going to want a veteran QB as both a security blanket and as a tool for the young guys.

As for the second item, Coles staying at this point seems unlikely if they can get anything for him via trade and the Jets are going to be VERY tempted to get a top tier RB. I'm not saying they'd go after one with their first pick, but don't be surprised if they pounce on a guy they like available in round 2 or so. I don't think the Jets will be in a big rush to address RB unless they fall in one with one of the top guys and he falls to their pick in the first. Otherwise I see them going the late round pick / UDFA / low-cost FA route for someone to complement TJ / Leon.

Dont be sorry, great response.

I understand that Coles is not the player he once was, but if we are going with a young QB, keeping a guy like Coles can greatly benefit him. He is tough veteran that a young QB can rely on getting the ball out to early and knowing that Coles will be in the right place and will battle for the ball.

IMO, CB is our biggest need, for reasons that you have stated. I seriously think we we will land a ILB from the FA market...hopefully Scott and his famaliarity with the system. But I agree, ILB is right up there in our top priorities.

The reason why I am so high on getting a true #1 WR, is a) we dont have one on our current roster and 2) it will help our QB's and our running game.

I was obviously exaggerating about it being the worst offense ever, but we wont be outstanding. Its going to be tough for a young QB to get 15 TD's with our receivnig core, and you cant rely on just TJ and Leon to score. Especially with Schotty Jr.'s offense. I still think he sucks and I dont care what the scenario was last year or how much Mangini had his hands in the offense.

Boldin is not worth a first round pick. He is not a guy that will constantly demand a double team. You just dont need to with him. He is a big physical receiver who does well after the catch, but he doesnt require a double team.

Ideally, I want Scott. A CB in the first and WR in the 2nd.

As big of a need as CB may be, you can't go CB in the first. We don't need, nor can we afford, another top notch corner. The position has become such a high-importance big money position, that you can't afford to pay two top guys at that position, especially not at the expense of other positions (just ask Denver). To put it bluntly, we have one of the best young CBs in the game on this team already, he's costing us a lot of money and will cost us a WHOLE lot more in a few years. The Jets either need to develop a guy on the roster, go with a mid-round pick or sign a solid #2 type guy via FA. The situation needs to be addressed, but going after it in round one will almost guarantee that in the next few years we lose either Revis or the new guy (assuming of course he turns into the player you think you're getting at that spot).

I am glad the primary disagreement is at WR.

Whilst I truly prefer to move Coles now (because I think he's quite past his prime, very average now, and better to move on eyear too soon than one year too late, and gets in the way of developing our younger/faster guys), I can certainly live with it if the Jets go WR high in the draft. At least in such a case, it's building through the draft, not paying big $$ in FA.

I must say though, that I think a receiver crew of:

Cotchery (Posession) + Clowney (All-Round) + Stuckey (Speedster) + Henry (Tall/Somewhat Quick) + Keller (Stud) + Baker (Decent) + Midround 2009 Pick WR/HBack wouldn't be nearly as bad as some think, especially if led by a young QB who's been woring in practice with Stukey and Clowney for a bit now.

But I can see the issue, and like I said, drfating a WR high would give another weapon.....I'd just be afriad it would be a sign that we're going the staid old Vet-Journeyman route.

As big of a need as CB may be, you can't go CB in the first. We don't need, nor can we afford, another top notch corner. The position has become such a high-importance big money position, that you can't afford to pay two top guys at that position, especially not at the expense of other positions (just ask Denver). To put it bluntly, we have one of the best young CBs in the game on this team already, he's costing us a lot of money and will cost us a WHOLE lot more in a few years. The Jets either need to develop a guy on the roster, go with a mid-round pick or sign a solid #2 type guy via FA. The situation needs to be addressed, but going after it in round one will almost guarantee that in the next few years we lose either Revis or the new guy (assuming of course he turns into the player you think you're getting at that spot).

I disagree with this logic, I understand it, but disagree.

What are you going to do then? Anyone we draft is going to be a position which we already have a ton of money invested.

Revis is locked up for 6 years, he will be going into his 3rd. We have plenty of time to figure out what the next step would be before he would hit FA. And at 17, we most likely are not drafting the top CB in the draft, so he wont demand the money Revis did when he was the top CB selected.

The only position I could see us draft in the first other than CB is ILB or WR. Even there, we have a ton of money locked up at LB between Pace, Gholston and Thomas.

If we follow your reasoning, the only positions that we dont have a ton of money locked up long term is QB and WR.

What are you going to do then? Anyone we draft is going to be a position which we already have a ton of money invested.

Revis is locked up for 6 years, he will be going into his 3rd. We have plenty of time to figure out what the next step would be before he would hit FA. And at 17, we most likely are not drafting the top CB in the draft, so he wont demand the money Revis did when he was the top CB selected.

The only position I could see us draft in the first other than CB is ILB or WR. Even there, we have a ton of money locked up at LB between Pace, Gholston and Thomas.

If we follow your reasoning, the only positions that we dont have a ton of money locked up long term is QB and WR.

Revis is locked up for 6 years and he isn't. As you noted, he is entering year 3. Meaning he's got 4 years left. The 6th year is cap-prohibitive at upwards of $15-20M. But you're right in that we're not under the gun now or even in the months after the 2010 season.

Revis didn't really demand that much money. He got way more than he should have. It was not one of Tannenbaum's better moments. I like him overall, but he looked like a fool in that negotiation. Revis was willing to take the virtually-slotted money at 5 yrs $13M-ish. We locked him up for 6 years at over $30M. The only saving grace is that the kid is awesome.

The main difference is that over the past few years CB has become one of the highest paid positions in the league. And furthermore, its a position that if complemented well on defense (i.e., a good pass rush), you shouldn't need more than one top level player at. The fact is that, there are very, very few teams in the league who have two WRs worthy of being matched up against a top CB. A team with a good pass rush, a great #1 CB and a solid #2 CB I would bet will have a better pass defense than the team with a decent pass rush, a great #1 and a good to great #2. With the kind of money the position commands these days, I just believe it would be better spent elsewhere.

As far as how much the pick would cost, while Revis may've been the first CB taken its almost irrelevant, in the end what happens is he was taken 2 years ago and only 3 spots earlier than the pick the Jets are currently slated for in round 1. While the Jets may've overpaid for Revis to get that 6th year on the books, don't think for even a second that the agent for a CB taken at that spot by the Jets wouldn't walk into negotiations trying to use Revis's deal as a benchmark.

And at 17, we most likely are not drafting the top CB in the draft, so he wont demand the money Revis did when he was the top CB selected.

The only position I could see us draft in the first other than CB is ILB or WR.

Unless it's a QB or a kicker, whoever the Jets select at #17 will be paid the slotted amount for that spot regardless of position.

I'm with those who don't see the need for a CB there. I'm all for the BPA, and if it's clearly a corner at that point so be it, but the Jets have other pressing needs. I'd love the WR, but a 3-4 DE, ILB, or safety would be great, too.

The main difference is that over the past few years CB has become one of the highest paid positions in the league. And furthermore, its a position that if complemented well on defense (i.e., a good pass rush), you shouldn't need more than one top level player at. The fact is that, there are very, very few teams in the league who have two WRs worthy of being matched up against a top CB. A team with a good pass rush, a great #1 CB and a solid #2 CB I would bet will have a better pass defense than the team with a decent pass rush, a great #1 and a good to great #2. With the kind of money the position commands these days, I just believe it would be better spent elsewhere.

As far as how much the pick would cost, while Revis may've been the first CB taken its almost irrelevant, in the end what happens is he was taken 2 years ago and only 3 spots earlier than the pick the Jets are currently slated for in round 1. While the Jets may've overpaid for Revis to get that 6th year on the books, don't think for even a second that the agent for a CB taken at that spot by the Jets wouldn't walk into negotiations trying to use Revis's deal as a benchmark.

Good points. The problem is we drafted our pass rush with the 6th overall pick last season.

Revis had leverage and his situation is definitely not irrelevant. We traded up to take him as the first CB in the draft. I am almost certain if we stood still and took the BAP CB that we wouldnt be getting the first overall. And if Tanny has any skills in negotiating, he would make that very clear and present to Mr. Agent.

Good points. The problem is we drafted our pass rush with the 6th overall pick last season.

Revis had leverage and his situation is definitely not irrelevant. We traded up to take him as the first CB in the draft. I am almost certain if we stood still and took the BAP CB that we wouldnt be getting the first overall. And if Tanny has any skills in negotiating, he would make that very clear and present to Mr. Agent.

Fair enough. I guess part of my issue with going CB in round one is that I fully believe that with Ryan coaching a much more aggressive game plan, the Jets can successfully get after the QB (see: early 2008). With Revis shutting down opposing #1 WRs, I think that with an improved pass rush, the Jets could very easily get a solid veteran #2 guy at a decent price via FA and be in very good shape in the secondary aside from the hole at safety next to Rhodes. The Jets need another CB no doubt, but I just think all the Jets really need is a capable starter and they'll be fine.

Fair enough. I guess part of my issue with going CB in round one is that I fully believe that with Ryan coaching a much more aggressive game plan, the Jets can successfully get after the QB (see: early 2008). With Revis shutting down opposing #1 WRs, I think that with an improved pass rush, the Jets could very easily get a solid veteran #2 guy at a decent price via FA and be in very good shape in the secondary aside from the hole at safety next to Rhodes. The Jets need another CB no doubt, but I just think all the Jets really need is a capable starter and they'll be fine.

True. And dont think that I dont see your angle. A crushing pass rush will help any secondary and it would be nice not to have that tied up at CB, but I also think that was the biggest problem on D even when we were getting a pass rush consistently.

McAllister was cut by the Ravens...lol...

Serioulsy, I dont care how it happens, Im not expert, I just want an upgrade at CB, ILB, and WR.

If we take care of that and one of these Qb steps up, I think we are in good shape.

LOL! Don't mind Tyson, he's our resident angry fan. he judo kicked a hot dog out of somebodies hand after losing to the Giants in 2007 and I was covered in mustard. :evil2:

Great post Warfish. I nominated it for POTW and repped you. I agree 100%

I wish Fish would have kept the same name..Why do people keep changing their names on different sites?? You were BP on JI did you ever feel like being PB here??:D

Great discussion.

The only other thing I'll say here, and back to my earlier post, is that it is vital we get a strong safety to play opposite Rhodes.

The strong safety is a critical position in Ryan's defense, as it functions almost like another LB playing close to the LOS in his version of the "46".

Getting a strong safety, especially someone familar with Ryan's system (i.e. Jim Leonhard) will allow him to move Rhodes to FS fulltime, essentially playing Ed Reeds position as centerfielder in the Cover 1 traditional "46" and a deep third defender in C3. This should allow him to make more plays in the secondary.

We need a SS, big time. If we can get him in FA, that would be great and I think the Jets will go after Leonhard.

At CB, we don't need another Revis, but in this defense, we do need someone who can cover.

The Ryan defense is a high risk, high reward defense. They sell out to get to the QB, but that puts immense pressure on the DB's who are generally "man" with only Cover 1 help. Quick drops and routes, can do some damage if you don't have the ability to cover with both corners.

Great discussion.

The only other thing I'll say here, and back to my earlier post, is that it is vital we get a strong safety to play opposite Rhodes.

The strong safety is a critical position in Ryan's defense, as it functions almost like another LB playing close to the LOS in his version of the "46".

Getting a strong safety, especially someone familar with Ryan's system (i.e. Jim Leonhard) will allow him to move Rhodes to FS fulltime, essentially playing Ed Reeds position as centerfielder in the Cover 1 traditional "46" and a deep third defender in C3. This should allow him to make more plays in the secondary.

We need a SS, big time. If we can get him in FA, that would be great and I think the Jets will go after Leonhard.

At CB, we don't need another Revis, but in this defense, we do need someone who can cover.

The Ryan defense is a high risk, high reward defense. They sell out to get to the QB, but that puts immense pressure on the DB's who are generally "man" with only Cover 1 help. Quick drops and routes, can do some damage if you don't have the ability to cover with both corners.

Excellent post. Technically, Rhodes has been playing strong safety, although it did not matter much as the Jets played a lot of Cover 2. I agree that they will (should) try to get a true SS and move Rhodes to FS fulltime to take advantage of his range and athletic ability.

Excellent post. Technically, Rhodes has been playing strong safety, although it did not matter much as the Jets played a lot of Cover 2. I agree that they will (should) try to get a true SS and move Rhodes to FS fulltime to take advantage of his range and athletic ability.

Yep, would be really interesting to see what Rhodes could do in a pure "ballhawking" position, similar to Reed's.

Also, I think Harris automatically becomes more of a force in this defense as opposed to the traditional 3-4.

Yep, would be really interesting to see what Rhodes could do in a pure "ballhawking" position, similar to Reed's.

Also, I think Harris automatically becomes more of a force in this defense as opposed to the traditional 3-4.

I think he will do very well. Once Law started, the Jets were playing a variation of the Cover 2 where Rhodes almost always covered Law's man deep while Revis took his man one on one allowing Elam to play a more tradtional FS on the other side. This was a waste of Rhodes' ability.

Also, I hope they take a look at the second half of 2007 and see that Harris is a beast of a blitzer. I am sure they will.

I must say though, that I think a receiver crew of:

Cotchery (Posession) + Clowney (All-Round) + Stuckey (Speedster) + Henry (Tall/Somewhat Quick) + Keller (Stud) + Baker (Decent) + Midround 2009 Pick WR/HBack wouldn't be nearly as bad as some think, especially if led by a young QB who's been woring in practice with Stukey and Clowney for a bit now.

But I can see the issue, and like I said, drfating a WR high would give another weapon.....I'd just be afriad it would be a sign that we're going the staid old Vet-Journeyman route.

I know 2007 was an awful barometer of many things, but I think that WR core would absolutely awful.

Cotchery is in no way a #1, and I thought he really struggled to get open with Coles hurt.

I'm all for dumping Coles, I think his best days are behind him, and his best attribute is not nearly the most important for a WR, his toughness (Read: Holt). But, we need to have a significant player show up at that position, be it a high round pick (preferable) to a good FA (lesser option).

Either way, I respectfully disagree that the WR corps functions well as you presented it.

Archived