New York Jets coach Rex Ryan doesn't need a star at QB in order to win

SoFlaJets

In Jets coach Rex Ryan's world, the quarterback is a game manager, a caretaker of the offense. His formula for success is a strong running game and an even stronger defense.

During his 10 seasons in Baltimore, the Ravens won a Super Bowl with journeyman Trent Dilfer as their quarterback and reached the AFC Championship Game last season with rookie Joe Flacco behind center.

The Ravens did acquire veterans Elvis Grbac and later Steve McNair but neither could deliver the Ravens a second Super Bowl. In between, the team drafted Kyle Boller 19th overall in 2003 and won with him playing as a rookie and second-year man but never again reached the Super Bowl.

Thus, Ryan appears more than willing to put his team in the hands of former second-rounder Kellen Clemens or undrafted Brett Ratliff -- both unproven -- although the Jets will likely sign a veteran in the wake of Brett Favre's retirement. Erik Ainge, a 2008 fifth-rounder out of Tennessee, is also on the roster.

"The thing that I'm excited about with our offense -- there are several things to be excited about -- is I believe our offensive line is one of the top offensive lines in the league," Ryan said on Wednesday, the day Favre announced he was ending his career.

"Our players are going to be in the same system under (offensive coordinator) Brian Schottenheimer. I think that's all positive. All of the quarterbacks have played in that system. I think that's going to give those guys a leg up.

"I think we'll run the ball more this year. I think it's going to be great competition between those three guys. If something else comes along (a veteran), so be it. Those guys don't have to be the solution, they just have to be part of the solution."

Ryan's defense never finished lower than sixth in the NFL during his four seasons as coordinator, including second last season. Jets running back Thomas Jones led the AFC in rushing with 1,312 yards and a career-high 13 touchdowns last season.

That's how Ryan plans to win -- defense and running -- not by going out and getting a big-arm, high-profile quarterback.

Even so, the Jets, who are approximately $17 million under the projected 2009 salary cap of $124 million, will likely sign a veteran quarterback -- as insurance -- in free agency or trade for one.

But as for drafting one with their first-round pick (17th overall), that appears highly unlikely because of other pressing needs, including cornerback, wide receiver, safety and possibly inside linebacker.

Among the veteran quarterbacks expected to be available in free agency are Byron Leftwich, Jeff Garcia, Chris Simms and Boller.

Quarterbacks who might be available in a trade include Derek Anderson (Browns) and Jon Kitna (Bengals), whom the Jets came close to signing as a free agent three seasons ago.

Notes: The Jets must give the Packers a third-round pick for Favre but they get back a seventh-rounder... Ryan quickly dismissed talk of taking a flier on convicted QB Michael Vick, laughing at the notion and saying he has never thought about it... Ratliff, a former practice-squad player, who once ran routes as a wide receiver, described his and Clemens' friendship as "great," adding, "I hope that doesn't change." The 6-4, 224-pound Ratliff, signed in 2007 out of Utah, had an outstanding preseason last year, completing 32 of 47 passes for 499 yards and four touchdowns with a 122.5 passer rating.

I dont care who the ****ing coach is...

You need 1 of 2 things to get to the Super Bowl.

1) The best damn defense in the league

or

2) An elite Qb

We dont have either.

Agree.

And it is more probable with Ryan coaching and the talent that the Jets already have on defense to find a couple of missing pieces to achieve number 1 than to expect an elite QB to fall into our laps.

Agree.

And it is more probable with Ryan coaching and the talent that the Jets already have on defense to find a couple of missing pieces to achieve number 1 than to expect an elite QB to fall into our laps.

Definitely. We have some serious pieces in place to build an awesome D.

And yes, us building a top notch D is more much likely than us finally finding a franchise QB after 40 years.

I have no problem with Clemens or Ratliff starting but I do have a problem not helping them out. Getting a dominant wideout is something we need if Ratliff is going to start. They need help.

On the otherhand, I care about defense more than the offense. I just want teams to fear us more than anything.

I have no problem with Clemens or Ratliff starting but I do have a problem not helping them out. Getting a dominant wideout is something we need if Ratliff is going to start. They need help.

On the otherhand, I care about defense more than the offense. I just want teams to fear us more than anything.

My only problem with not addressing the WR position, especially in this case without Coles, is who can you rely on to be there at the spot without someone hanging all over them on 3rd and long with the D coming.

Agree.

and I agree with you. We brought ryan here for his defense, firery disposition, and were tired of Mangini's act. Finding an elite QB to take us to the promised land would be a lot harder then replacing a few defensive pieces we are missing. I do think we need an upgrade at rb to make this work. I was watching Woody on rome is burning tonight and he felt the same way. But most o linemen feel the same way. Run more. I just hope we change it up a bit and put leon in the game more.

I love how everyone wants to point out "you dont need a good QB to win".

Take the Ravens the last 10 years. Theyve got to ONE Super Bowl! Thats it. Granted its one more than we've been to in 40 years, but people talk like these Balt teams with non-descript QBs were going to the SB every other year. It wasnt happening.

I am not saying you need an elite QB to win, not many of them around. Put you need a solid QB, period.

The proof is in the numbers, the starting SB QBs:

2009: Big Ben/Warner

2008: Eli/Brady

2007: Manning/Grossman

2006: Big Ben/Hassleback

2005: Brady/McNabb

Aside from the anomoly (Grossman), look at the names: Brady, Manning, Big Ben, Warner, Mcnabb, Eli, Hassleback....a trend here no? The worst guy on this list was a very solid QB in his own right, that being Hassleback.

I love how everyone wants to point out "you dont need a good QB to win".

I love how some people want a good QB like there is a tree you can pick them from. I am sure the Jets will do everything they can to have the best possible starting QB take the field next September. But the available vets are unimpressive and there may not be anyone at #17 worth taking in the Draft. You don't reach. There are plenty of other positions for the Jets to concentrate on. And if Clemens/Ratliff don't pan out, you try to address QB next year. Mr. T/Ryan have to build a team, not appease fans' insecurities.

and I agree with you. We brought ryan here for his defense, firery disposition, and were tired of Mangini's act. Finding an elite QB to take us to the promised land would be a lot harder then replacing a few defensive pieces we are missing. I do think we need an upgrade at rb to make this work. I was watching Woody on rome is burning tonight and he felt the same way. But most o linemen feel the same way. Run more. I just hope we change it up a bit and put leon in the game more.

the passing game becomes far more effective when you run well. Play action is the thing, not empty backfields/

I think the Jets chances of putting an elite dominant D on the field are pretty good for 2010. With some minor changes they'll put a pretty damn good one out there this year as they'll be playing with some heart and emotion - obviously missing from The Mageens manage by mopery program.

The big worry I have is the state of the D if Jenkins goes down - either out or in a limited capacity mode due to getting banged up.

I think Clemens or Rat could become more than serviceable with this line and the ability to run but I'm certainly up for a miracle surprise if Ainge matures into a better QB in the pro's than he was at UT.

I love how some people want a good QB like there is a tree you can pick them from. I am sure the Jets will do everything they can to have the best possible starting QB take the field next September. But the available vets are unimpressive and there may not be anyone at #17 worth taking in the Draft. You don't reach. There are plenty of other positions for the Jets to concentrate on. And if Clemens/Ratliff don't pan out, you try to address QB next year. Mr. T/Ryan have to build a team, not appease fans' insecurities.

we have a good QB DM. His name is Brett, too. This thread will be bumped for years.

Archived