The ' Everything Movies ' Thread

SouthernJet

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Off to see Bright Star at the Indie theater. One of the stars of flick , Paul Scheider, is doing a Q&A after the flick. Hopefully will be fun.

http://www.therialto.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=9

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/brightstar

Just got back..

Had a blast..pretty good flick.. English period piece, so be warned...

Paul did 30 minutes Q&A after flick,,dropped alot of F bombs..

Indie Theater was almost sold out to boot..

i'm seeing tomorrow movie man...i was invited to a screening

nanna nanna....nannna

free from local newspaper?? ,,I could go to those, I usually turn down,,the freebie people usually arent the best behaved in theaters,,Let me know if alot of cretons mis-behaving..I am curious,,I gave up on Screenings a few yeras ago after too mant Tillies and her kids showing up blabbing etc

The local newspaper gives out 500 a week to new flicks..

The N&O ZONE announces these upcoming sneak previews!

We offer advance screening passes on a first come, first serve basis or in some cases you may enter online to win passes by mail. Check the N&O ZONE home page for details on how and when to obtain passes for individual films.

ZOMBIELAND.....................................................Tue. 9/29

WHIP IT.................................................................Thu. 10/1

THE STEPFATHER.........................................Thu. 10/15

ASTRO BOY.......................................................Sat. 10/17

FYI.........

The charity previews are better where the audience has to pay something,,behave better,,hopefully u have one of those ..

OK, 2 movies this weekend. 3 if I get home early enough from Jets game Sunday.

The candidates for SJ and Mrs SJs money:

- The Invention of Lying

- Zombieland

- Whip It

- Capitalism: A Love Story

- Surrogates

- Love Happens

FYI. Reviews have Zombieland, Whip It and Capitalism rated highest, with Love Happens and Surrogates lowest rated. Lying in the middle.

Yea it supposed to be More fun and gore then Scary and gorey..... Ive met Jesse Einsberg before he is good frineds with one of my Co-workers. he cool pretty quiet guy...

But i saw Jennifers Body the other night it wasnt to be keeps you watching that for sure and you alway think you about to get a shot of Megan Fox naked but....

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Communist!!!!!!!!! (How did they get a picture of a JN Mod at the flicks?. But which JN Mod???)

From The Times

March 17, 2010

Sony chairman Michael Lynton calls for healthy alternative to popcorn in cinemas

Popcorn_697976a.jpg

Cinema owners are being encouraged to offer healthier snacks to fight obesity

For many, a night out at the movies would not be complete without the sound of popcorn and chocolate wrappers from the stalls. One of the most powerful studio bosses in Hollywood, however, would like to see cinemas selling healthier snacks.

Michael Lynton, chairman and chief executive of Sony Pictures, says that audiences would be better off nibbling on granola bars, fruit salad, yogurt and vegetable crudit

230 had a thread 1st so i didnt review..

i would say 3 stars..

Fair enough.

I came out of it liking it, but I'm now wondering if the film had not been in 3D, if I would have enjoyed it at all. Definitely worth seeing, but didn't really do justice to the classic IMO.

Fair enough.

I came out of it liking it, but I'm now wondering if the film had not been in 3D, if I would have enjoyed it at all. Definitely worth seeing, but didn't really do justice to the classic IMO.

Not one bit...Depp couldn't even figure out if he was Jack Sparrow or the Mad Hatter in certain parts...Bonham Carter was strong as usual, but I didn't walk away impressed. It didn't touch the classic, and Burton's done way better too.

Did anyone like the Crazies?

Not one bit...Depp couldn't even figure out if he was Jack Sparrow or the Mad Hatter in certain parts...Bonham Carter was strong as usual, but I didn't walk away impressed. It didn't touch the classic, and Burton's done way better too.

Did anyone like the Crazies?

Agreed. I'm still a bit geeked out by 3D, so I came out liking the experience as a whole. But, remove that element and your left with a very blah film IMO.

• 1 month later...

JJ Abram's new stuff in the right thread:

Sweet...trailer:

http://super-8.movie-trailer.com/

Site:

http://www.scariestthingieversaw.com/

Theories:

All over the place if you're actually that interested.

Here's a start...http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/v...9476&start=510

http://www.super8news.com/2010/05/10...t-at-dulce-nm/

*****in aliens man!

Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Skies

• 2 months later...

Foreign remakes fuelling Hollywood

By: Randall King

31/07/2010 1:00 AM |

Comments: 0

2355903.jpg

There's talk among movie lovers about who will replace Noomi Rapace, above, as Lisbeth Salander in U.S. remake of Swedish film The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

During a press conference for the film Dinner for Schmucks, director Jay Roach inadvertently gives the game away when asked about the French filmmaker that inspired his Steve Carell comedy.

"He writes great farce -- La cage aux folles, The Valet, these incredible films," Roach says of Francis Veber, whose 1998 film The Dinner Game (Le dîner des cons) provided the basis for Schmucks.

"Francis to me is like the Mike Nichols of France."

No sooner are the words out of his mouth than Roach realizes that description is a tad condescending. "I'm sure that he'd rather just be the Francis of France," he adds.

Please note: It was Nichols who directed the American remake of La cage aux folles -- The Birdcage -- and not the other way around.

But Roach's attitude is typical of Hollywood. An American currency exchange is applied when measuring the intrinsic value of a filmmaker who works in a foreign tongue.

It was not always that way. Few people thought to remake the work of French filmmakers such as François Truffaut or Claude Chabrol in the SSRq60s or SSRq70s. In 1957, it's unlikely a Hollywood producer looked at Ingmar Bergman's Swedish-language The Seventh Seal and visualized Kirk Douglas vs. Tony Curtis in a mortal duel over a chessboard.

But it's an automatic thing now. Why?

One of the culprits is the subtitle. Any theatre manager will tell you that walk-outs are inevitable when moviegoers realize they will obliged to read translations at the bottom of the screen of a given movie, no matter how acclaimed it may be. Hence, the 2008 Swedish thriller The Girl with the Dragon Tattoomade just US$9 million in the North American market this year, compared to a $93-million gross it earned throughout the rest of the world.

The other culprit is that Hollywood studios have a surfeit of cash and a dearth of original ideas. In 2010, there are literally dozens of remakes in the pipeline, including remakes of perfectly good foreign language movies such as Let the Right One In; the 2008 Swedish vampire movie has transmogrified into the New Mexico-set Let Me In, due in theatres in October.

David Fincher has reportedly cast Daniel Craig as the male lead of his remake of the The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Also reportedly on the remake trail are a pair of great Korean films: Sympathy for Lady Vengeance and The Host, the 2005 French thriller 13 Tzameti and even Akira, the Japanese anime classic from 1988.

Finally, the third culprit is one of tone. Paul Rudd is a nice guy led astray by his ambition in Dinner for Schmucks, in contrast to his Le dîner des cons counterpart, who is a more flagrant jerk.

"I don't recall ever saying, 'Oh, we must adjust this specifically from the French to make it more palatable to Americans,'" Roach says of the softening of the character. "In the case of that particular decision, it seemed a little bit more interesting to us if you could see both sides of his character, and if at the start of the film he was a little bit at war with himself, and you didn't know if the good or the bad (aspect of his character) was going to win."

In any case, that penchant for tempering hardcore characters is the reason many movie fans breathed a sigh of relief at the news that Will Smith would not be starring in a Steven Spielberg-directed remake of the Korean thriller Oldboy. The Fresh Prince as a vengeance-obsessed psychotic armed with a hammer? Yeah, right.

Even with Fincher (Fight Club) at the helm of the Dragon Tattoo remake, the director of the Swedish version Niels Arden Oplev is skeptical the film will have the impact of his original.

"I would bet a lot of money that the American version is going to be toned down and not be edgy," Oplev says.

Of course, Oplev also acknowledges that in the making of his film, he was influenced by Fincher's work. After all, foreign films borrow from Hollywood as much as Hollywood borrows from them.

"In the set design and in the writing, we were inspired by his film Zodiac, and tremendously inspired by Jonathan Demme's Silence of the Lambs," Oplev says. "So for Fincher to do (the remake) would be a kind of a circle.

"But I would still say he would have to get up early in the morning to compete with my version," Oplev says.

• 4 weeks later...

Fanboy Fix: 'The Avengers,' ‘Star Trek 2’ and ‘The Hobbit’

By: Erik Davis on August 26, 2010 at 10:14AM

Avengers01-thumb.jpg

Joss Whedon Talks ‘Avengers’ Script and Female Characters

While on some sort of bizarre world tour, Joss Whedon spoke to The Sydney Morning Herald, saying that his team is currently hard at work narrowing down The Avengers script. He notes, “Right now I’m working on a movie that’s got enormous stipulations and is going to be changing and fluid every second. I’ve come up with dozens of scenes and lines and exchanges and monologues that I adore that are not going to be in it. But while I’m writing them they feed me, excite me and they ultimately inform the character. It all goes in.” Whedon seems excited that he’s able to work on a project that fuels so many ideas, even if a lot of them won’t make the cut (hey, that’s what sequels are for). Earlier in the week, Whedon also said that Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow will not be the only female character in the film, though she’ll be the only female Avenger. This, naturally, led to tons of speculation on the parts of fanboys everywhere. Is Gwyneth Paltrow returning? Will there be a female villain?

Care to speculate yourself?

‘Star Trek 2’ Being Compared to ‘The Dark Knight’

Hey, if you were making a much-anticipated sequel, wouldn’t it be wise to compare it to The Dark Knight in some way since that turned out to be one of the most successful sequels of all time? Speaking to E! Online, Damon Lindelof (co-creator of Lost and producer on the upcoming Trek sequel) did exactly that when he said that they’re “looking at a movie like The Dark Knight, which went one step beyond Batman Begins. It was really about something, and at the same time it was a superhero movie. We don’t want to abandon all the things that made the first movie work and have it be fun and emotional, but we also really want the movie to thematically resonate.” My sources tell me that the Star Trek 2 story is already done, and that work on the script is beginning real soon with an eye to begin filming in the late spring, early summer for their scheduled summer 2012 release date. What would you like to see from the Star Trek sequel?

A ‘Hobbit’ Decision Coming Soon?

With folks growing increasingly more frustrated with the lack of announcements regarding The Hobbit – not to mention the fact that it’s practically impossible to cast without a production date set in stone – Peter Jackson has finally stepped up to give some sort of status update. He told The Dominion Post that both MGM and Warner Bros. are “making progress untangling the MGM situation”, and that they “should have certainty withThe Hobbit sometime soon.” Certainty could go either way, though, right? Personally I don’t have such a good feeling – especially after seeing what happened to the next James Bond film (currently on a long hiatus) – but we should at least keep our fingers crossed for the time being.Would it absolutely crush you if they didn’t make The Hobbit?

the-hobbit-by-jrr-tolkien.jpg

Archived