Jets To Release Guard Brandon Moore...NFW

SoFlaJets

Jets to release guard Brandon Moore

by Dave Hutchinson

Friday February 20, 2009, 6:18 PM

The Jets, continuing a dizzying salary purge, plan to release right guard Brandon Moore, according to a person with knowledge of the team's thinking. The move saves the Jets roughly $7 million in cap space and the team is now approximately $27 million under the projected 2007 salary cap of $124 million.

Moore, a six-year veteran, was scheduled to receive a $7 million roster bonus on March 5. The move to jettison him was a surprise since he was the Jets best run blocker and new coach Rex Ryan plans to run the ball next season.

Moore, 28, is expected to be one of the top guards on the free agent market and will cash in big. A former defensive tackle, he was a five-year starter.

The decision comes on the heels of the Jets officiallly releasing veteran tight end Chris Baker earlier in the day.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jets to release guard Brandon Moore

by Dave Hutchinson

Friday February 20, 2009, 6:18 PM

The Jets, continuing a dizzying salary purge, plan to release right guard Brandon Moore, according to a person with knowledge of the team's thinking. The move saves the Jets roughly $7 million in cap space and the team is now approximately $27 million under the projected 2007 salary cap of $124 million.

Moore, a six-year veteran, was scheduled to receive a $7 million roster bonus on March 5. The move to jettison him was a surprise since he was the Jets best run blocker and new coach Rex Ryan plans to run the ball next season.

Moore, 28, is expected to be one of the top guards on the free agent market and will cash in big. A former defensive tackle, he was a five-year starter.

The decision comes on the heels of the Jets officiallly releasing veteran tight end Chris Baker earlier in the day.

First bad move of the off-season. How much cap room do they need? Do they think they can get Warner? Otherwise, I don't get it.

First bad move of the off-season. How much cap room do they need? Do they think they can get Warner? Otherwise, I don't get it.

it looks like he's purging to make some more BOLD (ha ha) moves again this year DM...which is good for us anyway-gives us some interesting stuff to discuss during the off season-hey and at least this HC isn't obsessed with ex Patriots like our last guy was

Even Warner is on $10 million...

Maybe they hope he will come back... risky... but we dont know what their plans are... I trust Tanny for now... but Moore was the best guard of the 2 and probably the 2nd best Olinman on the team...

it looks like he's purging to make some more BOLD (ha ha) moves again this year DM...which is good for us anyway-gives us some interesting stuff to discuss during the off season-hey and at least this HC isn't obsessed with ex Patriots like our last guy was

But who is left out there that is (A) obtainable and (B) would cost a lot of money? Warner will probably stay with the Cardinals. Boulden probably as well. Peppers is locked up. Ahsogood just got locked up by the raiders. That kind of leaves Ray Lewis, who I don't think, at this stage in his career, will be worth the money he wants.

I don't like this.

What a ****ing joke. No good can come of this. We had a good group and the key to success on the O-line is continuity. Terrible, terrible move.

Why fix what isn't broken? ****!

Especially if they really plan to go with one of the young QBs and protect them with a solid o-line and run first mentality. We need to see how it all plays out, but this one does not smell right out of the box.

Especially if they really plan to go with one of the young QBs and protect them with a solid o-line and run first mentality. We need to see how it all plays out, but this one does not smell right out of the box.

IS there an OG that can start right out of the draft? Maybe thats the reasoning?

What a ****ing joke. No good can come of this. We had a good group and the key to success on the O-line is continuity. Terrible, terrible move.

Why fix what isn't broken? ****!

This is a head scratcher. Every cut until now was one that I could understand as it made fiscal sense and they weren't tremendous losses for the team.

Moore is a big loss if he is indeed gone.

Is there a guard on the market that will come cheaper without a big dropoff? Is there a guard he is targeting in this draft? Does he really love one of our back-ups? I'm not sold on any of these 3 things. The only thing that makes sense to me is that he wants to bring in several free agents. Either that, or we really were in cap hell.

here's what I think will happen here; The Jets will drop down in the draft (garnering more picks) and choose the top guard coming out...somewhere in the mid-to late 20's and have an all 1st round offensive line

OTOH; I said it this morning...Kareem McKenzie Kareem McKenzie

my thinking exactly Ec...drop down to the mid to late 20's and get the best rookie guard and have an all 1st round OL

There is only one OG ranked as a 1st rounder... the rest are 2nd and 3rd rounders... who knows...

This drives me nuts!

Draft Daddy has these as top available FA Gs:

Offensive Guards

Rank Name Current Team Current Status

1. Mike Goff San Diego

2. Pete Kendall Washington

3. Chris Kemoeatu Pittsburgh

4. Floyd Womack Seattle

5. Cooper Carlisle Oakland

6. Stephen Peterman Detroit Re-signed by Detroit

7. Milford Brown Jacksonville

8. Adrian Jones Kansas City

9. Seth McKinney Cleveland

10. Geoff Hangartner Carolina

11. Russ Hochstein New England

12. Adam Goldberg St. Louis

13. Matt Lehr New Orleans

14. Kynan Forney San Diego

15. Tutan Reyes Jacksonville

16. Jason Fabini Washington

17. Jason Whittle Buffalo

18. Edwin Mulitalo Detroit Recent Salary Cut

19. Damion Cook Detroit

20. Joe Berger Dallas

IS there an OG that can start right out of the draft? Maybe thats the reasoning?

If there is somebody really good that they like, there is a good chance, as a guard, he will be there at #17. That is the only thing that makes sense. There is risk, but a lot of potential upside to the move (immediate cap savings, the draftee having more upside than Moore). That is why we have to let this play out, but I still don't like it.

Draft a guard in the first? What a waste that would be?

I'm assuming this cut was made primarily for cap room so why then go out and spend even more money than we would have on Moore, who was solid, for an unproven guard? Makes NO sense. This move is asking for trouble, in so many ways.

I presume Ryan is looking to make a big splash on defensive players with the cap room he now has available. This move may be for the sole purpose of bringing Bart Scott in. If it is, I could understand but I still won't be happy.

We had a good situation for a QB to step into. Decent (Although no more than that) WR's, a good young TE, a good running game and solid pass protection. Now the good running game and pass protection, which IMO are the most important aspects, are far from assured and we're just putting more pressure on whatever QB does emerge as starter.

This is a team with a lot of needs and for no good reason whatsoever we now have another. **** the Jets!

No one considered the possibility that we're not seeking a new incoming player to be the RG for the team? RT isn't Damien Woody's natural position exactly.

It seems equally likely that they're moving Woody inside and inserting a new RT (e.g. Stacy Andrews, or a rookie who will cost a hell of a lot less). Personally, I liked keeping the line as-is. We'll see what they end up doing.

No one considered the possibility that we're not seeking a new incoming player to be the RG for the team? RT isn't Damien Woody's natural position exactly.

It seems equally likely that they're moving Woody inside and inserting a new RT (e.g. Stacy Andrews, or a rookie who will cost a hell of a lot less). Personally, I liked keeping the line as-is. We'll see what they end up doing.

That'd be an even worse move considering that Woody was playing at an elite level at RT and was an abortion of a RG.

that's one big dude SE...hurt his knee at the end of the year though

http://www.bengals.com/team/player.asp?player_id=40

That'd be an even worse move considering that Woody was playing at an elite level at RT and was an abortion of a RG.

So it is your belief that Woody can play above average at center, left guard, and right tackle...but the right guard position makes him sucky? It wasn't his weight, being lazy with his first big contract, surrounding talent, or anything like that. It was that playing RG is so much more difficult than C and RT that he just can't handle it? That's silly.

And he's a well above-average run-blocker for a RT. I don't know how "elite" he is overall at RT. Truth is, playing next to Moore (in easily his best season) did Woody a lot of good.

So it is your belief that Woody can play above average at center, left guard, and right tackle...but the right guard position makes him sucky? It wasn't his weight, being lazy with his first big contract, surrounding talent, or anything like that. It was that playing RG is so much more difficult than C and RT that he just can't handle it? That's silly.

And he's a well above-average run-blocker for a RT. I don't know how "elite" he is overall at RT. Truth is, playing next to Moore (in easily his best season) did Woody a lot of good.

I disagree, I really do think he was one of the best in the league last season. He (and Moore) were both great in run blocking, his pass protection was pretty darn good too. I can't see why you'd risk so much with this move especially with continuity being such a key to building a successful group. Now you want to change two positions on the line? I can't see it.

I'd leave Woody where he is regardless and try and get someone adequate to fill in at RG. I know it's a Hell of a lot easier said than done as we all found out with the Kendall scenario but I can't see us going down the Woody to G route and I wouldn't agree with it if we did.

Archived